Network pics thread

@NTAuthourity So what didn't you like about the astaro box? Never seen one in person all though Captian keeps trying to con me into getting one

Haha I actually never got to test it. I got it from a store on Ebay. They were selling it for 150.00 but the OS on the drive was corrupted. The factory reset menu worked but it never reset a thing...different case it just halted saying that "it couldnt lock memory file"....I still have the drive but i changed it for a different one incase someone could fix it. :) If you do get one let me know how it works lol

Haha I actually never got to test it. I got it from a store on Ebay. They were selling it for 150.00 but the OS on the drive was corrupted. The factory reset menu worked but it never reset a thing...different case it just halted saying that "it couldnt lock memory file"....I still have the drive but i changed it for a different one incase someone could fix it. :) If you do get one let me know how it works lol

Doesn't it have a VGA port on it? USB keyboard should work, too. Go download Astaro Home and toss it on that pig!

Doesn't it have a VGA port on it? USB keyboard should work, too. Go download Astaro Home and toss it on that pig!

I wish it did but this is rev1 of that box. Only rev2/3 and higher have the VGA. And GIG-E (tear :) haha. Astaro Home eh? Alright ill hit up the sites and get a copy. Thanks :)

I wish it did but this is rev1 of that box. Only rev2/3 and higher have the VGA. And GIG-E (tear :) haha. Astaro Home eh? Alright ill hit up the sites and get a copy. Thanks :)

Ahhh, okay. Yep, Astaro Home gives you 50 concurrent users and pretty much all the features of the enterprise stuff for free. :D

Well, as long as we're posting pics of our bedroom datacenter / storage / workshops, here's mine from about a year ago (this room is in a CONSTANT state of change)...
panoramic06.jpg

THis is a man cave, id so live in here :)

This is my vSphere Home Lab. It consists of two white box ESXi hosts, QNAP TS-459 Pro iSCSI/NFS shared storage and a Linksys managed gigabit switch.

IMG_6661.JPG

IMG_6660.JPG

Diagram
Home%20Network%20062510%20Public.jpg

SAL9000 - ASUS M4A785-M, AMD Phenom II Quad Core 3.2GHz, 8GB DDR2, 3ware 9650SE RAID Controller, 2x 1TB RAID1, 2x Intel PRO1000GT, 1x Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Gigabit PCI Express, 4GB USB Boot

HAL9000 - ASUS M2A-VM, AMD Athlon X2 6400+, 8GB DDR2, 2x Intel PRO1000GT, 1x Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Gigabit PCI Express, 4GB USB Boot

Processors are different, but vMotion works fine using Generation 2 EVC.

Last edited:
@enmtx, I love the makeshift rack you have there, and nice touch on the Visio. :D, but if I may why the D-link instead of a second 8 port or a dual 16 port Mgd gig Linksys switch?

@enmtx, I love the makeshift rack you have there, and nice touch on the Visio. :D, but if I may why the D-link instead of a second 8 port or a dual 16 port Mgd gig Linksys switch?

Both the rack and D-Link were free :D

Next thing on my list is a second managed gigabit switch, 8 ports is far more limiting with this setup, so I might save and go bigger. Any suggestions? We are a Cisco shop at work so I bought the Linksys for the somewhat similar CLI. Not sure if I can afford gig Cisco for home right now.

Both the rack and D-Link were free :D

Next thing on my list is a second managed gigabit switch, 8 ports is far more limiting with this setup, so I might save and go bigger. Any suggestions? We are a Cisco shop at work so I bought the Linksys for the somewhat similar CLI. Not sure if I can afford gig Cisco for home right now.

lol i Can't complain either, free is the best word. There are 2 Linksys SRW2024's on for $195.00 US on ebay..I am not sure if you have a budget for what you would like to spend, but here is the link as a buy it now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-LINKSYS-S...=ViewItem&pt=COMP_EN_Hubs&hash=item2eade8808d

The only diss is that there are no rack ears included with them. but retail it may be more than 400..

EDIT: sorry they are $195.00 each lol

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
lol i Can't complain either, free is the best word. There are 2 Linksys SRW2024's on for $195.00 US on ebay..I am not sure if you have a budget for what you would like to spend, but here is the link as a buy it now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-LINKSYS-S...=ViewItem&pt=COMP_EN_Hubs&hash=item2eade8808d

The only diss is that there are no rack ears included with them. but retail it may be more than 400..

Thanks for the link, do you think the SRW2024 is loud? I have a Cisco 3500XL too, but it's too loud for this location in my house. I don't believe the SRW2024 supports SNMP, I like the neat Cacti graphs the SRW2008 makes.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the link, do you think the SRW2024 is loud? I have a Cisco 3500XL too, but it's too loud for this location in my house. I don't believe the SRW2024 supports SNMP, I like the neat Cacti graphs the SRW2008 makes.

For SNMP I am not too sure, I have heard too many conflicting stories lol, The fan should be pretty quiet. I have a 16 port model of that in storage it runs almost silent. Cacti eh? How good is it?

Heres one im currently working on. 30 computers for a client... the computers are all for town-wide CCTV purposes (ran out of cable bars, so hafta order more and still hafta install front wire manager)

4734069573_499258d47f_b.jpg

4734068645_da4be7032c_b.jpg

4734067689_3d652cd874_b.jpg

Heres one im currently working on. 30 computers for a client... the computers are all for town-wide CCTV purposes (ran out of cable bars, so hafta order more and still hafta install front wire manager)

Jeebuz, thirty computers? Is VMware not an option? I would think that would save a ton on hardware, power & cooling, high-availability, etc....

Looks nice, though. :D

Here is my temporary setup while I'm at university for this month working.

59MpN.jpg

Top to bottom:
Dell PowerConnect 2724 - 24 Gigabit Ports, Web-managed switch
Watchguard Firebox x750e (Firewall) - Running pfSense, 2GB RAM, 1.3Ghz Intel, 6GB Microdrive, 8 10/100/1000 interfaces
Dell PowerEdge 1750 (ESXi Server) - 2x Intel Xeon 3.06Ghz, 3x 73GB SCSI 10,000K, 8GB RAM, 2x Gigabit NICs, vmware ESXi
Dell PowerEdge 2650 (ESXi Server) - 2x Intel Xeon 3.06Ghz, 3x 73GB SCSI 10,000K, 12GB RAM, 2x Gigabit NICs, vmware ESXi, DRAC
Symantec Gateway Security 5440 (File Server) - Intel Xeon 2.6Ghz, 320GB IDE, 3x 2TB SATA, 4GB RAM, 3x Intel Dual Port Gigabit NICs, Windows 2008 Server

Not pictured:
Linksys E2000 Wireless N Access Point
13" MacBook - 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB hard drive, Windows 7 Ultimate
Mac Mini - 1.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB hard drive, Snow Leopard
Whitebox (Media Center) - Intel Pentium Dual Core 2Ghz, 2GB RAM, 750GB hard drive, TV tuner, Windows 7 Ultimate

I've got a little more at home that'll I will try to post in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
A quick shot of my home core network.

img0172yz.jpg

Top to bottom:
Linksys WRT310N (DD-WRT as a WAP)
Dell Powerconnect 5324
Watchguard Firebox x700 (pfSense v2.0 Beta 3)

Not pictured:
Motorola Surfboard SB6210
2nd Dell Powerconnect 5324 (In basement with servers)
Whitebox Server (Fileserver from sig)
Dell Poweredge 1850 (Main server from sig)

Jeebuz, thirty computers? Is VMware not an option? I would think that would save a ton on hardware, power & cooling, high-availability, etc....

I'm with captain. Virtualization has worked great for CCTV in the scenarios I've seen. Especially when you get into hundreds or thousands of IP Cameras. Better to have a couple of powerful machines than tons of average, but then again it doesn't look as cool.

P.S. Why does every node need a Optical drive?

Here is my temporary setup while I'm at university for this month working.

59MpN.jpg

Top to bottom:
Dell PowerConnect 2724 - 24 Gigabit Ports, Web-managed switch
Watchguard Firebox x750e (Firewall) - Running pfSense, 2GB RAM, 1.3Ghz Intel, 6GB Microdrive, 8 10/100/1000 interfaces
Dell PowerEdge 1750 (ESXi Server) - 2x Intel Xeon 3.06Ghz, 3x 73GB SCSI 10,000K, 8GB RAM, 2x Gigabit NICs, vmware ESXi
Dell PowerEdge 2650 (ESXi Server) - 2x Intel Xeon 3.06Ghz, 3x 73GB SCSI 10,000K, 12GB RAM, 2x Gigabit NICs, vmware ESXi, DRAC
Symantec Gateway Security 5440 (File Server) - Intel Xeon 2.6Ghz, 320GB IDE, 3x 2TB SATA, 4GB RAM, 3x Intel Dual Port Gigabit NICs, Windows 2008 Server

Not pictured:
Linksys E2000 Wireless N Access Point
13" MacBook - 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB hard drive, Windows 7 Ultimate
Mac Mini - 1.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB hard drive, Snow Leopard
Whitebox (Media Center) - Intel Pentium Dual Core 2Ghz, 2GB RAM, 750GB hard drive, TV tuner, Windows 7 Ultimate

I've got a little more at home that'll I will try to post in a couple of weeks.

How are those boxes for running server 2008? I want to setup Exchange on a server, but would like to go with something that has a smaller footprint.

How are those boxes for running server 2008? I want to setup Exchange on a server, but would like to go with something that has a smaller footprint.

I assume you are asking about the Symantec. It runs Windows 2008 Server pretty well for me as a file server. It comes with just 1GB of RAM and so I installed 6x512MB ECC sticks of RAM for a total of 4GB. The processor is just a single core Intel Xeon. It comes with a 2.4Ghz one stock, and I replaced it with a 2.6Ghz one I had on hand. It has dual CPU sockets on the board. I don't know what you mean so much by smaller footprint because it's the size of your typical 2U server. It's 2ft deep.

I assume you are asking about the Symantec. It runs Windows 2008 Server pretty well for me as a file server. It comes with just 1GB of RAM and so I installed 6x512MB ECC sticks of RAM for a total of 4GB. The processor is just a single core Intel Xeon. It comes with a 2.4Ghz one stock, and I replaced it with a 2.6Ghz one I had on hand. It has dual CPU sockets on the board. I don't know what you mean so much by smaller footprint because it's the size of your typical 2U server. It's 2ft deep.

Oh gotcha, I was not paying attention to the dimensions and automatically assumed it was more of the size of the firebox.

hey ciscoinside, how loud is that dell 2U server ?

I think you meant to ask me, not CiscoInside. He quoted my post. The Dell 2U server isn't as loud as my 1U Dell 1750, but it's still loud enough that I turn it off at night since I'm just in a flat-style apartment while working at university. It's much louder than your typical desktop computer. It's noise level doesn't bother me though when I'm at home. I have a small networking closet that is just down the hall from me. You can still hear it through the door to the closet, but in my room I can't hear it.

I'm going to turn you into that tlc show so they will help you clean out all of your network gear

looks like you have some really nice cisco gear in there missing power supplies :confused:
nope, just not pictured. They both have 1x 2500w PSU but the bottom box will be powered with a 1000w(sup2) PSU so I can utilize 115v@15a instead of 20a :) Every single box I have has PSUs, has been tested and functions perfectly

I'm with captain. Virtualization has worked great for CCTV in the scenarios I've seen. Especially when you get into hundreds or thousands of IP Cameras. Better to have a couple of powerful machines than tons of average, but then again it doesn't look as cool.

P.S. Why does every node need a Optical drive?

They don't actually record to disk, they record to CD-RW. It lowers the power consumption :p

How would vmware cope with multiple monitor outputs? Each computer goes to a dedicated monitor... each computer is basically used to monitor a different facility (for cameras).

Here are some of my workshop to add to the pile of photos:

26684_1348584630091_1095570040_30891126_7094349_n.jpg

36687_1348584830096_1095570040_30891127_7918701_n.jpg

35704_1348584990100_1095570040_30891128_244005_n.jpg

be interested in seeing what could be done with VMware View 4 and pcoip.

eh something tells me cost wise it would be around the same. would save on power consumption though.

How would vmware cope with multiple monitor outputs? Each computer goes to a dedicated monitor... each computer is basically used to monitor a different facility (for cameras).

What about setting up web-based viewer template and have the monitoring stations connect to your (guessing intranet) website. You could customize which cameras in the camera bank appear to each specific user login. Of course I'm simplifying like crazy because I don't know camera specs/control needs and also don't know the frame-rate needs the user requires.. but I do know there is boatloads of multiple camera viewers out there.

30 separate computers seems like shooting yourself in the foot with hardware maintenance, unless you have them setup with hardware failover.

Also, backups to CD-RW? Yikes! I'd hate to have one where the drive is failing and you have a crucial tape you need.. and find out that that backups are bad for that station for a month or something. I think the power consumption costs would be made up by the lowering of employee-hours needed to swap these CDs and secure storage of said media.

ugh, such a horder... lol, planning for the future.
Jealous...

I'm a hoarder too with network gear :-/ It's nice to have this group of people who also have racks of equipment in their places.. Most of the time when someone who doesn't know me all that well comes to my place and sees my racks of equip. I have to explain it all... Recently had a mediacom employee ask if I was "obsessed with computers"..

Backups to CD-RW wha??? Heh, no maintenance. If a pc dies i reghost it... ghost takes 3-4 minutes, and the softwares already installed. Its one piece of software thats it on the entire machine. The software has a few settings that you put in to tell it which facility to monitor.

Web won't work, we're using software from the DVR manufacturer... its designed to monitor a remote facilities cameras (they all feed back [when theres motion so not to kill the bandwidth] from the various parks/beaches to a public safety office).

Works fine really, hardware is minimal... micro atx motherboards, 1 hd for the OS and then 2gb of memory, nothing else realy

Basically this isnt mission critical stuff that if one thing goes down they are down... the dvrs are still up throughout the town, and they can still monitor the facility via a different pc.. this is merely to allow them to see each park on a different monitor as watching 20+ parks on one monitor is taking up a lot of real estate on that 1 monitor.

Back