Network pics thread

Recently got a bunch of new gear in. With the recent shortages of Cisco ASAs one of our larger customers ordered in 6 SRX100's and 2 SRX240's, and I ordered in 2 SRX240's for own use. Also got in a pile of switches, access points and 6 DS14mk2's full of 300GB FC goodness.

IMG00037.jpg

IMG00038.jpg

mmm, Netapp and Juniper

got my work cut out for me for the next little while

haha, thanks CaptainC :p

not really an office, more of a big cube, and I'm up to my eyeballs in JUNOS right now, realizing I know nothing about it with some pretty hardcore deadlines ahead of me.
not pictured but also arrived are new NetApp 2020, some FAS270's, fiber switches, all new PDU's, and I've got some HP 5412zl switch chassis going in next week. lot's O' gear.

FAS270's??? WTF?? didn't those get end-of-lifed or something?

Don't tell me you're running all those shelves on a FAS2020? Hopefully you at least have dual-controllers and/or FC fabric??

haha, the FAS270's are just being used for some extra space for hosting a VMware environment for a QA team, very low iops, I think the 270's max out at 56 disks or something anyways, all those shelves aren't for that.

and yes, the 2020 is dual controller, FC

Just something Ive been working on. Mainly for prolonged hotel stays. Its a pelican case with a wrt54gl router running a modified ddwrt, a spa3102 voip adapter and a zipit2 running sidetrack. Currently i push all voip / fax (nvfax is great) over a vpn and back to my trixbox. All other traffic is routed outside of the vpn (save bandwidth)

70-1.jpg

It will soon also have a Acer Revo running opensuse (samba, ftp, streaming audio and the like). With a USB screen and a roll out keyboard.
This is just a beta

I know, i dont think that would even pass even if it were a checked item. Airport security people are too paranoid.

Ive gotten it through once checked... no problems.. (only took it once so far)
it would be different if i had some water bottles inside. it just looks like circuit boards via xray, nothing solid.
and paranoid airport security is the norm.. they freaked out over 2 ultra 320 SCSI drives i had in my laptop bag once... ("they are not hdds".. stupid airport security)

What the keypad for on top of the mainpower. Next to the phone for?

Its a zipit2 mobile texting device that i re-flashed with sidetrack. (like back-track for mobile devices). Its basic a $40 "pen testing" box. I use it to manage the router and voip.

The beginning of the move of our corporate gear out of our server room to a colo:

IMG_0044.JPG

Public switch: PowerConnect 2716
Internal switches: PowerConnect 6248P
Firewall: SonicWall 4500 (one half of a HA cluster)

By the way, for the love of god, stay far far away from Sonicwall. Their VPN devices don't play nicely with any other clients, one of our cluster members' config spontaneously corrupted and then pushed its config to the other member. Nothing but headaches. Next time we spend the money and go Juniper. :argh:

One from the surveillance camera in our server room... its messy now we're still installing things on the back wall

30277_1319964194598_1095570040_30822807_4754636_n.jpg

Wow thats a messy room.

heres the snapshot from our NetBotz Appliance. Tails hanging is an Application Mascot. We have an internal App we built thats nicknamed TAILS. Forgot what it stands for now.

serverroom.png

Wow thats a messy room.

heres the snapshot from our NetBotz Appliance. Tails hanging is an Application Mascot. We have an internal App we built thats nicknamed TAILS. Forgot what it stands for now.

serverroom.png

Wheres sonic at?

It looks like a Dell E6400. They have hinges like Thinkpads and a displayport connection for dual monitors off the dock. I have one for work.

Just something Ive been working on. Mainly for prolonged hotel stays. Its a pelican case with a wrt54gl router running a modified ddwrt, a spa3102 voip adapter and a zipit2 running sidetrack. Currently i push all voip / fax (nvfax is great) over a vpn and back to my trixbox. All other traffic is routed outside of the vpn (save bandwidth)

70-1.jpg

It will soon also have a Acer Revo running opensuse (samba, ftp, streaming audio and the like). With a USB screen and a roll out keyboard.
This is just a beta

I want one!!

OMG. Can you explain what that can do in more detail?

Can you send tunneled faxes with it? (encrypted).

Can you send tunneled faxes with it? (encrypted).

All voip and FAX Traffic is pushed over a encrypted SSL VPN.
Now try to black fax me!! WHA HA HA HA... wait.. you could just dial my DISA.. back to the drawling board!!!:D
..and why does the company i work for still use fax machines....:confused:

I have that same POS, I've been through 3 power supplys for it. I'd ditch it completely if not for the DVR's needing it.

A friend of mine had the same problems.. he blew 2 power supplies in 3 months.. Just go grab a old 200 watt desktop power supply and tie into the 5 volts. Attach a switch to pin 13 and 14 and toss it in a project box.. problem fixed. (just check your router first, some models could use different voltages)

My home network:
kOvPr.jpg

lO13T.jpg

Top Shelf: Just storage for old fax/printer, some spare laptops, and external drive enclosrues.

Shelf 4: HP 1006, 8-Port KVM, 3x IBM T23 Thinkpads.

Shelf 3: Modem, Cisco Pix 501, WRT54G on DD-WRT, d-link 8-port gigabit switch, 2x spare 8-port KVMs, HP Procurve 2824.

Shelf 2: 2x IBM x345 2U servers, external drives, Norco 4020 populated with Seagate 1.5TB SATA drives.

Shelf 1: PDU, UPS for essential equipment, Drive testing box (notice the hot-swap sata bay), pfSense box, 6x Atipa servers (Dual P3, 1GB RAM and I put in a NC3134 NIC into each so each has 2x 10/100 slots).

I never intended to have this much equipment on the wire rack but it's actually been quite stable thus far, and hopefully I can save enough to get a 42U cabinet.

Most of these machines are used to testing different OS's/cluster setup. The Atipa 2U servers I got for $5 each at a surplus store.. and they actually only use 40w at idle and are quiet. Can't say the same for the x345s though..

MadHatter, that's a good setup for home. You certainly have the weight limit of the shelf unit at the max though. I might consider a similar shelf for my home office. I've got a 42U 2 post rack in a closet now where my Norco 4220, Firewall, and some other misc servers are sitting and ventilation has remained an issue, so having it out in the room would eliminate the heat problems.

I have that same POS, I've been through 3 power supplys for it. I'd ditch it completely if not for the DVR's needing it.

Ditto, been through 2 modem/routers and 3 power supplies which melted :eek: Oh yea, the NAT table sucks ass.

I decided this was the weekend to clean up my company's server room. Spent about 5 hours cleaning up the rats nest that has formed over the past few generations of network admins.

This before picture is even after I cleaned up several wires not connected to anything.
Before.jpg

And After
After.jpg

Last edited:
I feel Geeky now...

1131ag by the way

I have the same AP, works great :)

I posted some work stuff a few days ago, here's what the home network looks like at the moment:

DSCN5053.jpg

and the top half of the 2-post rack in the front made it's way into the home theatre (work in progress):

DSCN5054.jpg

I have the same AP, works great :)

So far I'm loving it. Couple things I'm trying to figure out though. I was under the impression when wifi devices connect the led turns from green to blue.

Also trying to figure out how to officially power this thing. Currently it's running from a powerdsine 6512 midspan hub, but not sure i can justify leaving it running all the time for one ap (long term it's going to power 7912gs around the house). What are you powering yours with? POE injector, some sort of poe switch?

So far I'm loving it. Couple things I'm trying to figure out though. I was under the impression when wifi devices connect the led turns from green to blue.

Also trying to figure out how to officially power this thing. Currently it's running from a powerdsine 6512 midspan hub, but not sure i can justify leaving it running all the time for one ap (long term it's going to power 7912gs around the house). What are you powering yours with? POE injector, some sort of poe switch?

Cisco POE injector, AIR-PWRINJ3

i love watching the colours change on startup :D

Back