Network pics thread

nisuj, I know the feeling, but I just got a full 42U at home. Just got done getting all of the screw's/ears for all of my equipment. Just need a rack mount case for my server. But, I might cut down the rack to a 32U, I need to be able to fit the beast into my closet. lol

I couldn't pass up a panduit 2 post rack for 20 bucks ;). Kid I knew used it for a while then it sat in his closet because he never used it.

I have most of the ears and stuff for mine...im just in limbo right now, since at work we have "standardized" on panduit exclusively for all our closets, mdf's and datacenter's, and theres a row of chatsworth racks i have been removing equipment from in one of the mdf's, im just waiting for them to say "toss em" to take one or two home, or for them to decide to keep them in a corner til they get in the way...im going to need a full 42 before i know it from everything i accumulate...not complaining though since before i know it ill have a full ccie lab

Just curious and not trying to judge. But what kind of setup is this for? Home, office? I don't see the need for a 24 port switch for ~10 devices.

Just for home use plan to use some of those ports on switch for vlans already have the switch and rack. Plan to order 2 poweredge servers to finalize everything up got the ms software free from college so its not as costly.

ServerFarm.jpg

My contribution... Switching everything to rackmount soon, 14u cabinet coming in a few weeks which will fit everything I have planned.

From left to right:
Fileserver 1, Virtual host, Nas, Email, Ubuntu dedi, Firewall, unused. Two 1750's are a Server 2008 (multi-purpose), and my s2008 terminal server.
This is my production / testing network. Used by myself and a number of my friends (running a lot of apps).

Last edited:
Nice work, haven't seen your setup in a long time!

Yeah I've been busy. Recently moved so thought I would make everything look good. Finally have everything in one place instead of all over the place at my old apartment.

Yeah I haven't seen your pics since you were back home, lol.
Long time no talk, I don't use aim anymore and don't see you on facebook much

Well, I finally got the 42U cut down to about 36U. I have to pick up a couple more ears for my Cisco lab equipment, and I need to get a rack mount case for my server.

I'll post some before/after picks once it's all done.

The Router:

DryTek 3300 Vigor
4343155969_910f418d5a.jpg

4343175093_4399c39ce2.jpg

The ISDN Octopus-E:
4301011775_9e20b562db.jpg

Networkstuff inside the Rack:
4343175853_631647c01a.jpg

At my Desk:
4301732782_8c1dfd2cdf.jpg

And finally the rack:
4360609966_f378dcff02_o.jpg

Hope you enjoyed it.

If you want to see more visit my flickr homepage: MAFRI @flickr

Last edited:
Is that a CRT monitor??? I remember those things when I was a kid!

this made me rofl....

theres a 17" and 15" in my attic in case i ever need to use them as counterweights on a trebuchet or something...:p

this made me rofl....

theres a 17" and 15" in my attic in case i ever need to use them as counterweights on a trebuchet or something...:p

Now thats a total win. I should steal my old 21incher back and send it to you :D

For the people posting pictures of their cages in data centers... what is the policy for taking photos? The one we are in freaks out if they see a water bottle and photography is definitely not permitted. They don't seem to be able to enforce things like camera phones though.

I think it mainly depends on the center. Some are OK with it as long as you're just taking pics of your equipment, and not other peoples.

the one at my company doesnt really matter, we actually own the datacenter space, they sold us like 20k sq/ft as a "condo" in a large 250k sq/ft facility, so i can do as i please really the dc operators are all employees of my company and the building mgmt people have no right to go in there at all, no one has said anything, but i dont think i would ever bring a camera into take pictures

For the people posting pictures of their cages in data centers... what is the policy for taking photos? The one we are in freaks out if they see a water bottle and photography is definitely not permitted. They don't seem to be able to enforce things like camera phones though.

As others have said, it really depends on where you are. I can take pictures of all of the stuff in my company's on site data center as well as all of our customers server/networking gear without issue. When I go to the data center at school there are certain things I can take pictures of, and some stuff I can't. I also used to have a couple game servers that I hosted in a data center in MA when I used to live there. Even though the equipment was mine the policy was no cameras, no removable devices (that one of their techs didn't control), no food or drink, and you were only ever aloud in the racks supervised to pull your servers out or put them in. You had to pull them all the way out, go somewhere else to do an upgrade or hardware troubleshooting and then bring them back.

Where I work (we are a tenant with office space an a number of racks) their is a sign outside the man trap that states no food drink or cameras allowed past this point.

I did a bit of reconfiguration:

Everything is GbE ;)

pink = trunking
gray = switches far away and wlan ACs
blue = internet
red = ESX Server
black = connection - router - lan
yellow = desktop
green = test nodes
orange = storage server

MAFRI

Last edited:
Not really much netowkring pics, but its my desktop, i just moved so its all just sitting on the floor running and such, soon to have new dell 800 server and better router & wap.

P1030645.JPG

P1030646.JPG

P1030647.JPG

what samsung moni's are those? i'm currently looking at some that look similar....any complaints?

what samsung moni's are those? i'm currently looking at some that look similar....any complaints?

His signature says: Samsung 2343BWX 23IN Widescreen LCD Monitor

I found it funny to see that you've bought of the crappiest devices from Apple (the AirPort Extreme), but don't use a Mac ;)

@MAFRI: I love the pink cables and the HP ProCurve. Sorry if my recommendation doesn't work for you that well, but I'm still VERY satisfied with my smaller 8 Port 1800-G version..

His signature says: Samsung 2343BWX 23IN Widescreen LCD Monitor

I found it funny to see that you've bought of the crappiest devices from Apple (the AirPort Extreme), but don't use a Mac ;)

I'm saving for a macbook pro, 15" and ordering a 160gig ssd. :) I had a mac but sold it to pay some bills :(

my airport extreme has never let me down, id say its a GOOD product, and ill keep it for a long time too.

I had 2 of them here, first was stinky and didn't worked correct. After 1 month replacement time, Apple had delivered a REAL stinking one! It was breathtaking, so I gave it back and got my money returned. I'm happy with 2x AirPort Express Stations + a Linksys Router in my house :)

not posted any pics before, just had these delivered though:
IMAG0004.jpg

thats 1125.6 gb/s worth of switching, the 8212 will do 645.6 gb/s routing :D

the two top right that are the same are the management modules (redundant), the one of the left is teh system support module, houses things like system clock (mich are part of teh chassis on teh cisco cats, if mine dies (130 years mean time to failiure on these) i swap the card, cisco boys have to swap the chassis.)

the two half way down are redundant switch fabric modules, if one dies i loose half the bandwith but switch still runs.

the top two modules (below management and system support) are zl 24 port gigt and the bottom modules are mini gbics.
hope to add another 2 of the 24 port coppers soon and maybe some 10 gig with some of our 3500's

Last edited:
Just got a few of these bad boys in...
downloadfile-1.jpeg

On paper, they should smack the Nexus7K in the mouth, but we'll see how they handle my testing...

Just got a few of these bad boys in...
downloadfile-1.jpeg

On paper, they should smack the Nexus7K in the mouth, but we'll see how they handle my testing...

Now that looks like a fun toy. I hate working for a small company. I dont get to see stuff like this.

the best piece of technology i have is an iscsi san.

i was reading about that switch the other day, one serious bit of kit that should have everyone else scared, the efficiency is unbelievable!

Back