Network pics thread

I second that! lol

just got me a steal for 27 Intel Pro/100 Server Nics for $15 + shipping. :D

Currently have 5 of them in my server for one big nic teaming, 6 nics in all ( 5 + Integrated Intel Pro/1000 )

so up to 600mbs one way or 1.2Gbit full duplex :D
This wil be the file server for future lans :D

Specs of said file server?

Last edited:
if you won't quote pics next time.... :rolleyes:

Dell Precision 650
2x 2.8GHz Xeons w/ HT
2GB DDR
not much HD space atm, money is keeping me from that atm....
1x 80GB and 1x 120 GB
nVidia Quadro 4 900XGL 4x AGP Card.
Windows Server 2003 Ent Corp SP2 R2

Wait, I'm confused. What does that blue device on the bottom serve as?

The internetz backbone :D

Splits the DSL Connection to be used for multiple wan devices. We just took it a step further and was a smart ass about it

Last edited:
if you won't quote pics next time.... :rolleyes:

Dell Precision 650
2x 2.8GHz Xeons w/ HT
2GB DDR
not much HD space atm, money is keeping me from that atm....
1x 80GB and 1x 120 GB
nVidia Quadro 4 900XGL 4x AGP Card.
Windows Server 2003 Ent Corp SP2 R2

The disks are going to be your bottle neck:p.

Yes I know, The Dell has a built in SCSI Ultra 320 Controller, so probably goign to pick up a couple 74GB Drives for it, 146GB if i can find a good deal.

Yes I know, The Dell has a built in SCSI Ultra 320 Controller, so probably goign to pick up a couple 74GB Drives for it, 146GB if i can find a good deal.

good luck on finding good deals on the large cap SCSI drives. I've been looking for some for my PE2650's at home and just about everyone on ebay or anywhere else i can find are raping on the prices.

send me a PM or something if you find some decent prices.

good luck on finding good deals on the large cap SCSI drives. I've been looking for some for my PE2650's at home and just about everyone on ebay or anywhere else i can find are raping on the prices.

send me a PM or something if you find some decent prices.

will do.

Probably better off with a few satas. With a decent controller, performance would be about the same,.especially if they were raid 10. Fraction of the cost too.

yea, well that may happen eventually. I have plans for a quad core server w/ at least 1TB of stoage. that I am trying to get built by this summer, it will be the new file server. and this will be now a game server, Great thing about Multiple Nics in a game server is you can assign each game to a specific nic ( via IP Address ) :D

yea, well that may happen eventually. I have plans for a quad core server w/ at least 1TB of stoage. that I am trying to get built by this summer, it will be the new file server. and this will be now a game server, Great thing about Multiple Nics in a game server is you can assign each game to a specific nic ( via IP Address ) :D

Why would you need to assign each game to a specific NIC? I think you would be better off to do a single gigabit link with multiple IP addresses on it.

If you need redundancy, use two gigabit links, use LACP to connect to 1 or mutliple switches (using cross-switch LACP). In this case, you would assign multiple IP addresses to the aggregate interface.

Well him having 5 10/100 network cards in the server might be his reasoning for dedicating a card per game.

Well him having 5 10/100 network cards in the server might be his reasoning for dedicating a card per game.

Yea... I love how everyone assumes every server has gigabit NICs and a gigabit network. Not all of us are so lucky :(

Last edited:
Adam,

I just got my 1U rack cable manager from DeepSurplus.com. You never mentioned that they give you a free regular-sized pack of Skittles with every order! :cool:

I was curious what you used to secure the cables to the back of it (see photo), small zip ties?

rack_back_mod.jpg

Also, I just got a bunch of new stuff and am going to completely redo my home rack. I would start on it today but I am still waiting for the APC SUA1500RM2U that I got new on eBay for $125! It will be here Monday.

Other new rack stuff:

Middle Atlantic Vented Door
Rear rack rails
Brushed Aluminum drawer (eBay)
Wheels
Cable organizers

P1000092_small.jpg

Yea... I love how everyone assumes every server has gigabit NICs and a gigabit network. Not all of us are so lucky :(

Yes and we use 100mbit on purpose, as it will discourage massive file Sharing, of course it won't stop it, but large 10GB+ tranfers it will discourage. ( example sharing a 1080p rip of a blue-ray..

I prefer to have each app dedicated to a card, as I have had single nics that have worn out faster if used for everything at the same time, this way if a nic fails, I can just pop a new one in, set the ip back for it, and be done with it. plus all the lights in the back look pretty wicked. :D

Last edited:
Well my small project is going to have to wait a while.

The company I bought my SUA1500RM2U did a lousy job of packing it for shipment and the 'destructors' at UPS had their way with it. They only wrapped the thing in some packing paper and barely sealed the box. Both ends of the box were even open when they delivered it. It was far to damaged for me to even want to try plugging it in. The entire thing was shaped like a big potato chip. These photos do not do justice to the amount of damage on the unit. So my search for a great deal on a rack-mount UPS continues...

P1000132_small.jpg

P1000136_small.jpg

P1000139_small.jpg

If you haven't returned it, you might be able to salvage it. Since really the battery may be just fine, all you'll need is to find the housing.

Good grief did it go down a stairwell? :p

Clearly they didn't ship in the boxes APC normally uses....those pack them well. What'd they do, standard cardboard box with peanuts?

If you haven't returned it, you might be able to salvage it. Since really the battery may be just fine, all you'll need is to find the housing.

No thanks, there is no way of knowing if the internals were also destroyed. Even though it was new when they shipped it, I doubt I will find another new one for only $125. They are providing a full refund including shipping charges. No it was not shipped in the original APC packaging, hence why they should have spent some time packing it up. Morons.

Adam,

I just got my 1U rack cable manager from DeepSurplus.com. You never mentioned that they give you a free regular-sized pack of Skittles with every order! :cool:

I was curious what you used to secure the cables to the back of it (see photo), small zip ties?

rack_back_mod.jpg

Also, I just got a bunch of new stuff and am going to completely redo my home rack. I would start on it today but I am still waiting for the APC SUA1500RM2U that I got new on eBay for $125! It will be here Monday.

Other new rack stuff:

Middle Atlantic Vented Door
Rear rack rails
Brushed Aluminum drawer (eBay)
Wheels
Cable organizers

P1000092_small.jpg

Yes very small zip ties. Yeah we have tons of skittles packets in our office because we order from them so much.

What did you pay for your rack and which model is it... you shoulda talked to me first for a rack. I'm a Middle Atlantic dealer, lol.

buddy off mine hasn't felt like creating and posting up this network on here for ya'll to see so i decided to do it for him LOL. you guys are gonna love it im sure

4046983225_71fc51115a.jpg

For all you guys that have racks of the stuff, what kind of power are you using to get it running, mulltiple circuits, have custom 208v circuits, bump up the amp receptacles etc?

For all you guys that have racks of the stuff, what kind of power are you using to get it running, mulltiple circuits, have custom 208v circuits, bump up the amp receptacles etc?

For me, when I needed multiple circuits for my drive arrays (didnt need em and had to sell some shit when i was sans job), I was running off two circuits in my house.

Course with that much equipment im sure they have multiple 208v circuits.

I built a breakout cable from my stove.

I needed a 30A circuit for my UPS, and I live in an apartment. I bought a stove plug, a stove outlet, and a twistlock outlet. Little bit of cabling later, voila! Works inline with the stove.

buddy off mine hasn't felt like creating and posting up this network on here for ya'll to see so i decided to do it for him LOL. you guys are gonna love it im sure
Not bad, looks like he broke into my house :p, I have/had everything he has Cisco wise. Do you know what kind of Sup's he has in the 6509 and 13? Whats everything, I see a lot of old gear(26xx's and 5xxx and 3512G-FX). I like it though, its nice to see other people with the unhealthy obsession with collection of IT gear that I also have :D

single 15A, shitty apartment.

i'm not sure what sups he has in them, one is a 6509, another is a cat 5000 and the third is a cat 5500, as you can tell he also has 2 3660's, theres a 1760-v we were using for CME, not sure what the switches are and the routers all a variety of 2600xm's for his lab use. On top of the rack if yo0u notice is also a linksys WRVS4400N for wireless we were using originally for our VPN but we upgraded. If you give me a bit tonight i'll snap a couple pics of my rack now that i got some new toys :D

the 5000 has sup IIIG engine and the 5500 has dual sup IIIG engines. the 6500 runs Sup 1A with MSFC1 and PFC cards.

here is my updated network, still some stuff to do
100_1732.jpg

Starting on top of the rack:
Westell 327w DSL modem
Linksys WRVS4400N router/AP
dell 5324 gigabit switch for our LAN
24 port patch panel(WIP)
3524 PoE, runs our IP phones
2821 :D(paid a lot but i love the thing) -max mem CME/edge router/sip trunk

Below stuff is for lab scenarios:
2611xm - max mem - wic1t
2650xm - max mem
3600 - max mem - NM-4 serial, NM-2V(FXO/FXS cards) NM-T3(came with router selling on ebay)\
supermicro server- atom computer, use mainly for consoling into equipment, runs SVN for my programming, transcode 360 for xbox, will setup apache on it when i get around to it.
3548xl
3548xl
3548xl
2924m-xl
2924m-xl
2924m-xl

(not pictured faulty 2924m-xl

For IP phones i have a 7961ge in my room, a 7960g in my parents bedroom, 7940 in brothers bedroom and a 7920 for general around the house use.

Current network bottleneck is my ISP, i'm paying for 7.1Mbps down and only getting .5, tech support says nothing is wrong though.

What did you pay for your rack and which model is it... you shoulda talked to me first for a rack. I'm a Middle Atlantic dealer, lol.

D'Oh! Actually it is a 20 unit that I have had for a while. Found out the hard way that it does not even have the guide holes drilled in the back side for the rear rack rails, they must have been added to the newer models.

I have also not yet found a replacement for the SUA1500RM2U that UPS destroyed, so I have not yet begun the rack rebuild.

IMG_2221.jpg

There are defiantly nicer racks on this forum. Here is mine. The rack is currently temporary setup for Cisco training. The Crestron stuff is currently programmed as a serial switch so I can select which device I want to control via the one serial port on my pc. Buffalo router is the main internet router while the Linksys router is for the virtual machine internet and experimental testing.

Content top down:
Crestron CNMSX-PRO
Crestron CNMSX-AV
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 DD-WRT
Linksys WRT160N DD-WRT
Crestron QM-RMC
Cisco 3620 Router
Cisco 2500 Router
Cisco 2600 Router
Cisco 2924 Switch (x3)
Extreme Networks Summit 200-24
Dell PowerConnect 3048
Rack power

Last edited:
Probably better off with a few satas. With a decent controller, performance would be about the same,.especially if they were raid 10. Fraction of the cost too.

well a little update on that, I got a 2nd rig for file server use, as it had 4 sata II ports on it, unfortunately as it is a SLI board, I will be limited to a 4 nic team. ( 3 Intel Pro/100s + integrated )
These are slightly higher performance drives, but I don't anticipate more than 10 people downloading from it at once so i am not really worried about disk performance. I'll probably use the Dell 650 as game server only....

specs of 2nd rig
Athlon 64 X2 3800+ ( Massive Cooler missing the fan....lookis like one of those tall ones from Turiq )
2GB DDR
250GB WD Caviar SE
400GB Samsung Spinpoint
Asus A8N-SLI Mobo

DSC_00771.jpg

DSC_00781.jpg

need to get that 2970g into this network. APC PDU's are new. MCS 7800 is fairly new. Legacy rack on the left w/ surveillance box on the top.

So I am pretty sure xphil3 has more stuff than all of the relay panels and server room combined at the place I work, thumbs up to you sir

Back