Network pics thread

Where do you guys get all this Cisco gear? Isn't it hella expensive?
expensive, it depends on what you define expensive as. Ur_mom's stuff probably ran him around ~400 bucks if he did it right. Ebay is def the place to go. Me on the other hand, well.... thats completely different. :p

expensive, it depends on what you define expensive as. Ur_mom's stuff probably ran him around ~400 bucks if he did it right. Ebay is def the place to go. Me on the other hand, well.... thats completely different. :p

To tell you the truth, I stole it all. ;) Just kidding. Ebay is where I got it all, and probably more around $150-$200 for all the Cisco equipment. I tried to get the best deal as possible (of course, the 3620's only have a single NM in each with a single 10Mb port). I maxed out the RAM and flash, too. :) Ebay can be your friend, big time. I kinda feel bad for the ones that lost a router for so cheap! Nah!

I'm fortunate enough to work for a very small company that generates enough cash for us to have a production environment and multiple test environments for me to work on.

Personally, I don't own any Cisco equipment.

To tell you the truth, I stole it all. ;) Just kidding. Ebay is where I got it all, and probably more around $150-$200 for all the Cisco equipment. I tried to get the best deal as possible (of course, the 3620's only have a single NM in each with a single 10Mb port). I maxed out the RAM and flash, too. :) Ebay can be your friend, big time. I kinda feel bad for the ones that lost a router for so cheap! Nah!
200 bucks? LOL... hows that huawei gear workin out for ya? :p
BTW... those assbags should all be killed:mad:

My network is very boring at home. CentOS server in VMWare Server 1.08, a couple desktop machines, and my dual-boot gaming rig. A couple routers, DD-WRT, and VMWare is about as interesting as it gets.

I was able to sneak a couple pics of the equipment used to manage the registers in the grocery store I work at.

3369859587_6707bbcce1.jpg

3369859487_c347c55dbd.jpg

ebay is indeed the place to go. Just be smart. I ordered some ram to upgrade my 2611XM to 256mb (max) for $28 shipped. 32mb just doesn't cut it. Any sellers you'd recommend UR_Mom?

200 bucks? LOL... hows that huawei gear workin out for ya? :p
BTW... those assbags should all be killed:mad:

Also, have to mention picked up a 2924XL switch that had 6 dead ports. Cisco replaced it overnight priority under lifetime warranty. I love Cisco. If you are looking at Ebay and someone is selling a non-working unit, it may be able to be fixed free by Cisco. :)

It's all legit gear. AFAIK, anyway. No issues yet.

I just want a unit that can do 12.4 IOS and a Cisco phone to play with. I'm learning so much, and don't want to stop at my CCNA.

Also, have to mention picked up a 2924XL switch that had 6 dead ports. Cisco replaced it overnight priority under lifetime warranty. I love Cisco. If you are looking at Ebay and someone is selling a non-working unit, it may be able to be fixed free by Cisco. :)

I just want a unit that can do 12.4 IOS and a Cisco phone to play with. I'm learning so much, and don't want to stop at my CCNA.

You should be able to find some great deals on ebay as well for the Cisco phones. A couple of months back, I picked up 3 7960G's for a total of $120. I'm trying to find a good deal on a 7975G right now.

I got a free 48 port cisco switch once that had a bad PSU. So I replaced the PSU. Then it had a bad fan and the port on the logic board that power the fan wasn't working, so I got a fan extension wire, cut off one end and soldered it to the MB and found a suitable fan. Then I tested it for a few days, had no issues. Then I promply sold it on craigslist for $150 (which was the cost of my time to fix it and parts.

This is my basic ESXi setup with a managed and unmanaged gigabit switch.

IMG_3652.JPG

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 w/ DD-WRT firmware
IMG_3656.JPG

Low cost AMD VMware ESXi whitebox w/ RAID1

Asus M2A-VM, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 8GB DDR2, 3ware 9650SE 2 port RAID Controller with 128MB Cache, 2x Seagate 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache, Intel Pro/1000GT, Intel PRO/100S, Rosewill 450 Watt Power Supply
IMG_3493.JPG

VMware ESXi 3.5 booting from 2GB USB Flash Drive (ESXi does not support booting from 3ware controller)
IMG_3488.JPG

2x 1TB Seagate SATA 7200RPM 32MB Cache
IMG_3491.JPG

I currently run 8 Virtual Servers on this setup with room to grow.

This is just my very basic start of my home network and learning lab.

DSC03526.jpg

From top to bottom:

Westell DSL modem (soon to be replaced by a Cisco 800 series)
Linksys WRT54GL v.2 with DD-WRT with Linksys Print Server on top
Cisco 2924XL
Cisco 2624XL-M
Cisco 2611
Cisco 3620
Cisco 3620
Cisco 2950
Main PC
Dell Poweredge SC1400 - Dual P3's - Windows 2003 Server
Keyboard, Trackpad 1U
Future server (have to finish the case)
Future cooling (have to replace 120v fans with 12v fans and make shroud to force air towards the top, and have top ventilation as well).

It's not as loud as you'd think with everything running (routers are the loudest, and they only run when I'm studying Cisco). I'm eventually going to add sides and a top and a front door.

YES! I KNOW THE WIRING SUCKS! I am working on a good wiring plan, but I had just threw this together. I have some more stuff on the way, so I'm going to be moving and adding things, and wiring management is on the way! :)
Nice rack! I LOL'd when I first saw it.. Looks very sturdy and functional. Ever consider a paint job?

Oh and the wiring doesn't look too bad, I've seen a lot worse.

Nice rack! I LOL'd when I first saw it.. Looks very sturdy and functional. Ever consider a paint job?

Oh and the wiring doesn't look too bad, I've seen a lot worse.

I'm working on the sides and front door and the kids and I are going to sand and paint it to make it look real nice. :)

Where do you guys get all this Cisco gear? Isn't it hella expensive?

it can be, I got both of my Cisco Catalyst 3524's for $25 a piece, eBay is your friend.

Good deals that are legit are hard to find these days. just keep your eyes and ears open... they are out there, but usually hidden.

Hello

Well, my setup compared to yours its crap... but its my crap :D

dscn0127u.jpg

Switch Netgear FS726T
Netbook LG X110
Router Cisco 1801
Router Cisco 2610
Router Cisco 3620
Router Cisco 2620
Switch Cisco 2924xl
UPS 625VA(powers up home network gear, except server)
UPS 800VA(powers up dell server)
Caddy for dell server
Nas Conceptronics (2x500Gb Raid1)
Router Draytek 2910(internet gateway)
Modem 3g Huawei e220 (WAN2)
Modem Speedtouch 516V6 (WAN1)
Router Netgear FSV124G(voice network router)
Router Sagem 3102 (Working as access point)
Router Cisco 3640
Servidor Dell Poweredge 1650(2xP3 1400/4Gb Pc133 Ecc/2x275W/ Scsi HDD 18Gb/disco Scsi 74gb) with windows 2003 server, Running 4 virtual machines(Voip, mail, webserver and another linux machine)

Cheers :D

eheh nice....when i take CCNA i only get access to packet tracer...but...with real equipment it's other thing..:D nice lab

yeah packet tracer sucks sometimes because it doesn't have a bunch of features that are on the actual hardware and some bizarre quirks which drive you mad.

Yap, thats the main reason that made me aquire the cisco lab, the lack of like 80% of the functions on packet tracer when comparing to a real router.
Besides if im going to make a living of this, its better for me to work on real equipment :D

Cheers :D

yeah.....i really agree with your opinions...i wich i have money to make my cisco lab at home.....but here in portugal cisco equipment it's to much spensive ...:(:(

Well, what you said kinda made me laugh, not in a mocking way but, it did becouse i to live in portugal. Bought all my cisco gear on ebay, and i believe i got a nice deal, specially on the 1801, wich costs here somewhere between(in dollars) 1000$-1400$, more or less... and i managed to get it for 350$-400$...

Cheers :p

yeah i'm sure that in ebay you find great deals...but you have to pay taxes and the mayority of sellers with great deals don't send material to portugal...this is the biggest problem....otherwise buy in local commerce or something like this it's bad idea, because the prices of cisco material are irrealists compared with prices in other countries...

chassis.jpg

Here's the system it self.. as you can tell it's pretty slim and compact.

guts.jpg

Money shot, lolz. It was pretty tight in there before, but I found a few old smallish IDE cables that came with my Shuttle XPC. I put those in and the airflow seems to be a lot better than before.

Here's the specs
sysinfobig.jpg

Here's my lab setup in it's current incarnation.....(not the greatest quality, but the lighting sucks in the nerd cave)

rackage.jpg

Have a couple 2620XM's on the way...slowly trying to get rid of anything that won't run 12.4. On the prowl for another 2950 to get rid of the 3548XL also. :

From the top down.....

The Ubiquitous Linksys WRT54g
3550-48(Enhanced Image)
2950-48(Enhanced Image)
3548XL
1760-V (W\WIC-T1-DSU)
2621XM (w\WIC-T1-DSU & WIC-2T)
2620XM (w\WIC-2T)
2620 (w\WIC-2T)
3640 (w\2xNM-4T)
2620 (w\NM-32A, acting as a terminal server for everything else)
Sun SunFire V120 (general web hosting and what not)
Dell PowerVault 715N (currently running openfiler)

Last edited:
DSC_8974.jpg

With nite-mode

DSC_8998.jpg

Top to bottom...
Dell powerconnect 2724
Linksys WRT54G-TM w/ dd-wrt firmware (Access point)
Arris Cable modem
Compaq D510 SFF (Untangle)
Blue tower win2k8 w/ hyper-v and 4 VM's
Beige box, win2k8 w/ 4+tb of storage
APC 1500RS UPS in the bottom

Here's my lab setup in it's current incarnation.....(not the greatest quality, but the lighting sucks in the nerd cave)

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/jossawye/ccna/rackage.jpg

Have a couple 2620XM's on the way...slowly trying to get rid of anything that won't run 12.4. On the prowl for another 2950 to get rid of the 3548XL also. :D

do you mind telling me what all you have in your rack? as an aspiring network person i would love to know what all you have

do you mind telling me what all you have in your rack? as an aspiring network person i would love to know what all you have

Sure.....from the top down.....

3550-48(Enhanced Image)
2950-48(Enhanced Image)
3548XL
1760-V (W\WIC-T1-DSU)
2620XM (w\WIC-2T)
2620 (w\WIC-2T)
3640 (w\2xNM-4T)

Updated the first post too. There's some other stuff laying around here as well, but I find I use whats racked there by far the most when studying\labbing stuff out.

Sure.....from the top down.....

3550-48(Enhanced Image)
2950-48(Enhanced Image)
3548XL
1760-V (W\WIC-T1-DSU)
2620XM (w\WIC-2T)
2620 (w\WIC-2T)
3640 (w\2xNM-4T)

Updated the first post too. There's some other stuff laying around here as well, but I find I use whats racked there by far the most when studying\labbing stuff out.

nexusalt, you win buy far... best setup, best cabling, equipment I would most like to have..Can I trouble you for a couple more pics?

nexusalt, you win buy far... best setup, best cabling, equipment I would most like to have..Can I trouble you for a couple more pics?

yup i'll agree with you, need more pics, i am very envious of that setup, makes me wanna go buy one of everything he has LOL.

I would post my setup but all it consists of is a westell 327w, and a DGS-2208, but in alike a week will be expanded, maybe then i'll put up a network diagram.

Or gliffy.com but you need to register there but you can save the stuff you draw up on there servers and also export them as png or jpg.

Back