Network pics thread

I finally got around to pulling wire for my mouse trap monitoring project. I've been checking it manually with the ohm meter for now.

Cable comes in from the server rack DIN terminal block, through the floor, up this conduit and to a terminal block. Yeah I know, that's an out of spec bend, but it really wont matter for basic low voltage non-data electrical.

Will have a cord going up to the attic with a RJ45 end so I can easily disconnect the trap array to bring it down for emptying. The trap array will consist of 6 traps in groups of 2. Undecided yet if I want to do series or parallel. In series I'll know right away if I caught a mouse while in parallel it could take a few mice before one set triggers.

The mouse trap array, I will be adding 4 more traps and a rj45 jack.

The idea behind this is so I don't have to keep going up in the attic and getting myself full of blown insulation just to check the traps. I'll only have to go up there to empty them. I'll also be able to put everything else back in that closet once things slow down.

I caught like 5 already so far. I really need to figure out how they're getting in the house.

But in a hot / cold isle setup those drives will be sitting on the hot isle. It doesn't pretty warm on that side.

But in a hot / cold isle setup those drives will be sitting on the hot isle. It doesn't pretty warm on that side.

that's why that unit isn't good. Blowing all that hot air from the front drives over the back rear drives thought the whole idea of having them on the front was for hot swap and pulling "COLD/ cooler " air over them..

that's why that unit isn't good. Blowing all that hot air from the front drives over the back rear drives thought the whole idea of having them on the front was for hot swap and pulling "COLD/ cooler " air over them..

quite a few of the higher density SANs have drives behind drives, like my new ones:

DSC_0019.jpg

notice how it's in a data center in a locked cage ? :D:D

Plus, it was probably JUST pulled out of the box and racked..

Should have put in a <sarcasm> tag :)

What is the point of having a lock on the the bezel anyway? If someone already has physical access to the rack and server what can't they do to the server?

Should have put in a <sarcasm> tag :)

What is the point of having a lock on the the bezel anyway? If someone already has physical access to the rack and server what can't they do to the server?

pull it out ? turn it off..

Doesn't make a difference. See below.
Thanks to thermodynamics though, the rear drives are only a degree or two over the front ones and it makes no difference. If it were that big of an issue, it wouldn't be offered by countless OEMs. A number have the vertical drives like the Dell (see: Sun) and some have sleds with a second drive behind the one in the front. Nevermind the fact that it's so bloody cold in here that I wear a sweater in the middle of summer in Texas. :p

The Dells are very reminiscent of the Sun X4500. Here's the inside as promised. If you're wondering why the last fan doesn't have a redundant pair, the power supplies still move a considerable amount of air (the power distribution board happens to be in the way too).

12100030s.jpg

good idea for sure, wonder if the alarm will detect if they chew the wire LOL !

Yep it will, I took that into account so I made it so when the trap is set it has active voltage, if anywhere in the circuit is broken it will go into alarm.

My only concern right now is the possibility of a spark (think, very dry winter day) but I'm going to guess at 5v and barely no current being drawn I should be safe. I still feel like I should fuse it though, I just don't know where I'd get a fuse and fuse holder for low voltage.

And wow that SAN looks awesome! I think that format actually makes more sense as it offers more density. Just need VERY smooth and strong rails though so it can be pulled out while live to hot swap a drive.

microsoft and google have moved to models where the cold aisle is about 80 degrees and hot aisles are over 100.......not sure it matters that much anyways, but the minimal degree diff was already pointed out

somethings there are design contraints that force you into less than perfect designs, high density is one of them!

Love the equal logics... we have 10 with 2tb drives inside them :D

are are 48x900GB 10K RPM SAS per shelf, dual 10Gb iSCSI per controller

also got 6xR620's, dual octo-core, 128GB RAM each, dual 10Gb NICs per node, and dells nifty dual SD cards for the vSphere installs.

forklift upgrade+new colo coming online, busy month.

Yeah I got 10 of the R720's with the dual octo-core and 192GB of RAM and the Qlogic 10Gb CNA's and those dual SD cards in mine as well. We looked at those 6510's but ended up going with NetApp because they came in significantly cheaper. They're also much more feature rich.

Yeah I got 10 of the R720's with the dual octo-core and 192GB of RAM and the Qlogic 10Gb CNA's and those dual SD cards in mine as well. We looked at those 6510's but ended up going with NetApp because they came in significantly cheaper. They're also much more feature rich.

Dell got very aggressive with their EQL quotes, came in way under NetApp (compared to a FAS2240).

Any particular reason you went R720 with only 192GB of RAM? I went R620 to save space.

Dell got very aggressive with their EQL quotes, came in way under NetApp (compared to a FAS2240).

Any particular reason you went R720 with only 192GB of RAM? I went R620 to save space.

more expandable ? on the 720..

We didn't have space concerns and I prefer 2U boxes over 1U. I'm crazy like that, especially when we're going to be consolidating down to these 10 servers. I've just not had good experiences with pizza box servers for some reason and so I just don't entertain them.

We got two FAS2240's with 4 shelves of SAS 600GB 10K and a DS4243 of 3TB SATA. One for each site. The Dell quote was 30% more for an equivalent setup. This was even with us lumping in the servers in the quote the reduction wasn't that much. I also had to factor in that each one of those EQL requires another 4 10Gb connections each time you add one in. So an equivalent configuration with EQL would have required 16 10Gb connections instead of the 4 for the NetApp. I'm also not a fan that the other controller is basically in standby the entire time. Seems like a waste of connections. I have the NetApp serving SATA on one controller and SAS on the other. It's a really nice system honestly. I will concede that we do have some EQL in house and they are bloody simple to setup compared to the NetApp which has quite a learning curve.

I could've went more on the RAM but you can't populate these things past where we are without dropping the memory speed from 1600 to 1333 and if you want more RAM the costs skyrocket when you increase the DIMM sizes. 192GB was a sweet spot that could ensure that we'd have enough RAM to run everything including our Exchange 2010 environment. This included considerations on VMware licensing costs back when entitlements were a concern which is when I purchased them.

I finally finished my mouse trap notification system. :D

In action, while testing...

In it's natural environment.

Arduino, and it's hooked up via USB to my environmental monitoring server and I have an app that pulls the values. I've always thought it would be cool to make something that can interface with a computer in a way like this so I'm glad I found out about Arduino and found a site in Canada that sells them. (http://www.canakit.com). Rasbery Pi would probably work too.

I plan to add other things to it too like smoke detectors, water sensors etc... possibilities are endless.

haha only 192 gb :(

I just put in 3 720's with 2ghz 8cores and 128gb of ram

Im just waiting to see if his house burns down...

Low voltage(5vdc), low current. Though I probably should find a way to throw a fuse on there to be safe. I think I will also get some fiberglass insulation to cover the parts that have blown insulation to create a fire block, just in case. The blown in is basically shredded newspaper from what it appears like.

Low voltage(5vdc), low current. Though I probably should find a way to throw a fuse on there to be safe. I think I will also get some fiberglass insulation to cover the parts that have blown insulation to create a fire block, just in case. The blown in is basically shredded newspaper from what it appears like.

not enough current to burn the house down, i wouldn't be worried. probable less than 100ma too!

Wouldn't it be more fun to have high current attached to each trap. And a camera...

I'm analog when it comes to catching mice; using Cat v1.0.
I tried going digital, but it did not appreciate me inserting that RJ-45 into it's 'port'.
;-)

Wouldn't it be more fun to have high current attached to each trap. And a camera...

I thought of it though. :p One thing I am concerned about though is I wonder if 5 volts is enough to give a shock to a mouse. It might make them not go to the traps as every time they touch it they'll get shocked. I'll find out if I see they don't trip. We've been getting some warm weather so they're probably not trying to come in anymore. Global warming... we should have a couple feet of snow by now! Still none.

New toys at work. Running next to each other right now so these signal strengths aren't correct. Will be running cable and installing them this weekend.

unifi.PNG

Nice, I got 3 of em on the way, should be fun to play with. I'll probably only need one for the whole house though, but I might put two just because I can. One at each end (L shape with garage) 3rd one for the garage once I finish it and run data/electrical to it.

same number of DIMM sockets, don't really need much in the way of local storage or additional PCIe slots on the R720 for vsphere. Thought you were all Dell trained up? :p

Yeah two qlogic CNA's and that's it.

same number of DIMM sockets, don't really need much in the way of local storage or additional PCIe slots on the R720 for vsphere. Thought you were all Dell trained up? :p

I am, that's why i said the R720 has more expand ability. ie ones a 2 u and ones a 1 u, 720 has more drives and more pci-e slots.

New toys at work. Running next to each other right now so these signal strengths aren't correct. Will be running cable and installing them this weekend.
Here's hoping! Otherwise, you've over-provisioned by 3x

Back