Network pics thread

Hehe my little minimalist 19" rack :)
1.jpg

1" angled iron, welding, grinding and handful of m6 bolts. TADA!

1.jpg

Picked up those nokias for 5e/piece from local recycling store. No freaking what to do with them, they just seemed interesting.
Seem like pentium 3 stuff, SDR, 4x Intel 100/10 nics, places for 2x pc card, cf or 2.5" IDE storage :p

Pfsense those babies.

very nice setup
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

who is ditching multimode? i have it all over the place in my area

Good to hear I'm not that outdated, for me multimode kicks ass :)

I so want to play with fibre at home :(
That was my dream too! :cool:
I have a couple of those media converters, they work well for their price and what they are...MC220L or something!?

Those are indeed MC220L's, got them off ebay, paid just about that price for them too, got a bit of a batch discount :) So far I'm really happy with them. Though only a few are implemented yet.

Originally got it to electrically insulate my modem, as our area has been somewhat lightning prone, and the last thunderstorm fried half my distribution switch.. lucky it did not make its way all the way to the core... but then i got bitten by the bug and could not stop buying :rolleyes:
IMGA0507.jpg

The comms rack looks terrible, mainly just happy to move all the network and comms out of the server rack and into its very own dedicated APC two post rack :) Luxury :D
IMGA0510-1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The comms rack looks terrible, mainly just happy to move all the network and comms out of the server rack and into its very own dedicated APC two post rack :) Luxury :D
IMGA0510-1.jpg

OHHH look at those nice shiny red boxes DO WANT ONE!

Whats the white box ?

IMGA0510-1.jpg

Whats the white box ?

I have two of them if you are interested... PM if so.

The asa took their place... and so did Forefront virtualized.

They are watchguard fireboxes, I use the x1000 for my Colo, not very impressed with it really.

I saw a thomson 799....what ISP do you Have...? i work in Portugal telecom and here we use this routers for IPTV clients with 100/200mb fiber :D

I've got a pair of those Fireboxes too... and I'm not that impressed with them. I don't know if I had a config issue or what, but they struggled with my 50/5 connection. Running pfsense of course :)

And are uber noisy, quite hot, and not great on power :/

All ports gigabit on the AT layer3. I don't really need the L3 stuff since VLANS will suffice to separate ESX and data traffic. 42W for the AT against 8W for the HP, easy call to make. Also, the web interface is awesome :p.

They are watchguard fireboxes, I use the x1000 for my Colo, not very impressed with it really.

I've got a pair of those Fireboxes too... and I'm not that impressed with them. I don't know if I had a config issue or what, but they struggled with my 50/5 connection. Running pfsense of course :)

Your talking about the OS that ships with those boxes.

Usually, we open them up and install pfsense on them. I had pfsense running on both of them at one point, and they never missed a beat.

I'm from Portugal, and i have a HP Procurve like this with GBic Links connected and the power consuption its very low in my Home Network Lan.:D

Your talking about the OS that ships with those boxes.

Usually, we open them up and install pfsense on them. I had pfsense running on both of them at one point, and they never missed a beat.

I found they aren't really all that good with pfSense either, power use was quite high and noisy. The last two don't matter to me as its in the datacenter but if I had one at home I would hate it! I set it up at home and it did my head in!

Whats the white box ?
The red boxes are one Firebox X700 and one X-i-forget, they are hardware wise the same boxes, one is upgraded to 1.3GHz P3 and 512MB ram, which is the most it can handle, the other runs 1.4GHz Celeron or something with 512MB ram (up from 256MB stock).

The white box is the VDSL modem, the black box is a Huawei 3G modem for out-of-band management.

I wish I had money for one- would be nice to make one into a pfsense box or something
Those do run pfSense :) The display and everything works, even though they are getting on a bit in age now, these days I would probably get an Atom or Bobcat instead. But the chassis is so neat though, so wondering what i should do with them.

I really want to mod them and put some more performance and power friendly gear in them, still keeping with their neat looks.. but thats a project for later this summer.

I saw a thomson 799....what ISP do you Have...? i work in Portugal telecom and here we use this routers for IPTV clients with 100/200mb fiber :D
Ahh :) Yes, its a Thompson/Technicolor 789ivn, I'm in Norway and my ISP is NextGenTel, its their new triple-play thing with IPTV, VoIP and all that, which all disappears when you bridge it.. :p I wish it was fiber, but its probably going to be a while still :(

Yes, yes, yes and yes. And don't forget the caps located way way too close to the CPU, making it way too prone to do stuff like this (picture from inside the bottom one..)
IMGA0880-1.jpg

Not sure if i'm going to put a bobcat or something in there and rewire the interfaces or something, its not worth repairing on a P3 board really.

I found they aren't really all that good with pfSense either, power use was quite high and noisy. The last two don't matter to me as its in the datacenter but if I had one at home I would hate it! I set it up at home and it did my head in!
Been spending the last few months rebuilding the garage into dedicated server room, so noise is of no issue.. the power they are muching down however is the main reason for them not being online these days.. along with their mediocre performance.. well being P3's and all that i guess time has just left them behind. The chassis is very cool though, if nothing else :D

snagged a juniper sa-1000 on ebay for dirt cheap on a whim

at a ms cloud event in Chicago had to bid on 1x!

All ports gigabit on the AT layer3. I don't really need the L3 stuff since VLANS will suffice to separate ESX and data traffic. 42W for the AT against 8W for the HP, easy call to make. Also, the web interface is awesome :p.

don't forget to update the firmware! Adds some nifty improvements :cool:

I pm'd you about the f-boxes.

this,
IMGA0880-1.jpg

is so easy for me to fix, i could do it in my sleep, infact, i could fix it for you and return it or something.

I've fixed so many motherboards and caps it's not even funny..

I have a couple of those Fireboxes that i put PFSense on, and they are great now.

Actually have a few in my FS thread right now.

Yeah, the chassis pretty neat, just soooooo loud without the performance to make it worthwhile. One of mine started becoming unstable too and now won't usually won't even post. I gave up and virtualised pfsense on one of my ESXi boxes, ideal :)

Yeah, the chassis pretty neat, just soooooo loud without the performance to make it worthwhile. One of mine started becoming unstable too and now won't usually won't even post. I gave up and virtualised pfsense on one of my ESXi boxes, ideal :)

If i get one, i'll make a video of how to make them quiet and stable :)

I was thinking about how to get one cheap, with bad caps, and that can be another thread on how to change caps easily with out causing damage, AND another for making the x500-x700 quiet :)

If i get one, i'll make a video of how to make them quiet and stable :)

I was thinking about how to get one cheap, with bad caps, and that can be another thread on how to change caps easily with out causing damage, AND another for making the x500-x700 quiet :)

sounds like a nice scheme :p

Of less theirs something I dont know....why would you ever need a fiber NIC in a printer?

In a scanner without a fiber NIC, when the photons from scanned item is converted to electrical energy to be transferred to your computer, there is a loss in the picture quality. Since this scanner has a fiber NIC and if you have a fiber NIC in your computer, the photons don't need to be converted to electrical pulses so there will be no loss in picture quality.

In a scanner without a fiber NIC, when the photons from scanned item is converted to electrical energy to be transferred to your computer, there is a loss in the picture quality. Since this scanner has a fiber NIC and if you have a fiber NIC in your computer, the photons don't need to be converted to electrical pulses so there will be no loss in picture quality.

Wtf!

Can't determine if serious or not.....

[ Infected ];1038735981 said:

Originally got it to electrically insulate my modem, as our area has been somewhat lightning prone, and the last thunderstorm fried half my distribution switch.. lucky it did not make its way all the way to the core... but then i got bitten by the bug and could not stop buying :rolleyes:

Now that,sir, is a VERY good idea!:D

Just a small update really, tidied some things up...

IMG_0908.JPG

Backup Server is all up and running now.,,

IMG_0928.JPG

And a bonus shot of the 'server room'

IMG_0341.JPG

Back