Netflix’s Cutthroat Work Culture a "Nightmare"

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

A Wall Street Journal article on Netflix’s radical transparency among employees and firing traditions has sparked discussion on what it is like to work at the streaming giant, and most outlets suggest it must be a terrible place to be employed. Many of the anecdotes provided do raise eyebrows (e.g., firings happen with absolutely no warning, with the purported reason intricately detailed and emailed company-wide), but some argue there are just a lot of deadweights and softies out there.

“At a Netflix Inc. corporate retreat in July, Chief Executive Reed Hastings teared up as he addressed some 500 executives. Mr. Hastings had recently fired his chief communications officer for saying the ‘N-word’ in full form. The executive in question, Jonathan Friedland, ‘sunshined’ his misdeed—Netflix lingo for an apology or act of transparency in front of colleagues—in the hopes it would blow over. It didn’t.” [Friedland was fired.]

2. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

theyre everywhere now...

3. craigdt

craigdt [H]ard|Gawd

I'm sure it's very competitive....
    But the traditional media would love nothing more than to assist in the demise of Netflix.

Revdarian and Liver like this.
  4. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 [H]ard|Gawd

That’s the fun part of employment in most places. At-will employment, no just cause needs to be given to remove an employee.

Sounds like a normal job atmosphere just with added transparency wherein they let everyone know the “just cause”.

5. bugleyman

bugleyman [H]ard|Gawd

Anyone wanna know the definition of "dead-weight" in corporate america? The other guy.

atp1916, gixser and freeloader1969 like this.
  6. dandirk

dandirk [H]ard|Gawd

People have not changed that much, there were always "deadweights" and yes they were everywhere "back when" too.

Just like every generation's music is horrible and a sign of the apocalypse. From my estimation 82.3% of all music is from the devil.

Wierdo, deton8, travanx and 7 others like this.
  7. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

sounds about right.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

They can pistol whip their employees for all I care.... Just keep cranking out Daredevil and Stranger Things in a timely manner. :D

DPI, Flexion, travanx and 4 others like this.
  9. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

This reminds me of the radical candor guy from Silicon Valley. I'm guessing it's where they got the idea, since they use executives/employees as source material from various companies.

Tiburon1186 likes this.
  10. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom Gawd

I used to say that also.... but i do believe its actually getting worse now. of course most of the deadweight are the special snowflake group that cant be bothered to even do the job they're hired to do let alone not have a completely miserable attitude about it.

11. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

The older generation always sees the younger that way. The entire "you must be a slave to your job" culture the US has is complete bullshit anyway. We should be finding ways for people to do their jobs in smarter, more efficient, ways instead of bemoaning when they don't want to be slaves to their bosses. As technology advances people shouldn't have to work harder or longer, it should get "easier" for them.

Nytegard, the901, Bawjaws and 9 others like this.
  12. masquap

masquap Limp Gawd

They won’t be slaves to their bosses soon enough because they’ve been with the company 14 weeks and should be GM of <corporate buzzword> already but it’s this s**t company and their out of touch CEO that is too old and just doesn’t get how much smarter young people are...

They might even get so angry they’ll post to something other than Twitter about it because Twitter is for old alt-rights

harbingerofdoom likes this.
  13. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom Gawd

there is a difference between not wanting to be a slave to bosses and dropping Fbombs left and right in reference to the customers that PAY FOR YOUR DAMN JOB YOU JACKASSES. (not you personally, the people that im referring to).

and yes, i am a HUGE proponent for work smarter not harder, also a huge fan of reminding my employer that they are in fact renting my judgement, not buying my soul. and if thats all we were talking about, i wouldnt have said what i did... but sadly, its well beyond that and its more than just the one or two crap employees... its something that has been growing and getting worse and worse.

yes we should be finding ways to do things better, but there is a growing group of employees that feel we should all be blessed by their mere presence... my words to them are "pull your head out of your ass and get to work.... or get the hell out of my way.... i dont care which"

Messy likes this.
  14. Derangel

That attitude is not exclusive to the current younger generation. Prior to social media we just just had to bitch and moan to friends, family, co-workers, random people we ran into on the street, etc.

Flogger23m likes this.
  15. maxz01

maxz01 Limp Gawd

Good thing we have Jordan Peterson teaching that life is suffering and that your purpose is to find the heaviest cross you can bear and carry it to gain meaning in order to offset the tragic element of life. That should improve peoples work ethic!

16. Derangel

I'm 34. I've met plenty of people older than me with the very same "the world should revolve around me and everyone should be honored by me even talking to them" attitude. Drives me nuts no matter who its from. I've also worked with several younger folks that are some of the hardest workers I've ever seen. I imagine it has less to do with their age or generation of birth and more to do with how they were raised.

17. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot 2[H]4U

When you have to ramp up fast, you will get a lot of phonies. The sad thing is most resumes are full of lies and the only way to find out if someone can cut it is to hire them and observe. At some point, if you want your company to survive, you have to prune the dead wood and hire some more seedlings and repeat the process. What is different today is a growing intolerance for mistakes. It used to be that if you screwed up, you were put in the virtual doghouse for some number of months or years until you were deemed to have served you penance, after which, you could resume your career, hopefully having learned from your mistakes. The last place I worked before retirement, the IT 'doghouse' was being put in charge of the phone system.

viscountalpha and GoldenTiger like this.
  18. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

Unless you're the one implementing/supporting that technology :D

19. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

The public shaming/reputation damaging part seems very SJW-ie to me and completely expected.

Tiburon1186 likes this.
  20. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

21. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Surprise, lots of tech companies are awful places to work. Some of them are really great, too.

The bogey-man lives rent free in your head.

gixser, MrE and chris7191 like this.
  22. Wrecked Em

Wrecked Em [H]ardness Supreme

PantherBlitz and pendragon1 like this.
  23. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

I suspect that firing dead weight can sometimes have bad consequences. Consider ordering a list of employees by productivity. The slope is not linear as a very small number yields the majority of results -- it's likely logarithmic. Thin out personnel and improve efficiency by continually axing the bottom of said list, but also incur added risk. At some point losing a single employee could throw your company into a death spiral. e.g.

* Even the bottom of the list is holding up a significant portion of the work which high-yield employees may not be able to handle (burnout, straw) -- or worse, they are _above_ that work.
    * It could be extremely difficult to cope with the sudden influx of work due to an unexpected loss of a high-yield employee.
    * The next person fired may be good friends with the most productive echelon of employees and now they are miserable at work...

Managing personnel incurs a bit of calculus, sure, but don't let an obsession with efficiency burn it to the ground.

Haste266, atp1916 and Wrecked Em like this.
  24. Skylinestar

Skylinestar Limp Gawd

I guess working in poorer parts of Asia with 16hrs per day and low wages (like US$0.50 per hour) is still better?

25. kromc5

kromc5 [H]Lite

If only minorities by title at IBM and Netapp that made fun of my heritage openly could of have recieved the same treatment.

26. idiomatic

idiomatic [H]Lite

The competition gets all the same advances. You have to run as fast as you can just to stay in the same place.

27. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

A friend of mine works for Netflix and recently got in the Producers Guild of America.

28. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow [H]ardness Supreme

It's the American way.

Kinsaras likes this.
  29. gunbust3r

gunbust3r Gawd

"20% of employees do 80% of the work"?

bbartlett likes this.
  30. FreeLow

FreeLow n00b

For my company this usually translates as old people deemed to be making too much and aren't management. Oh your project is done, guess we'll have to let you go but we'll hire some fresh graduates that won't be useful in the near term.

freeloader1969 likes this.
  31. freeloader1969

freeloader1969 2[H]4U

So glad I'm out of the rat race that is IT now. Horrible companies and shit head employees.

32. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

NPC says what?

33. PantherBlitz

PantherBlitz Limp Gawd

Jobs get easier when talent magnified by experience makes the job second nature and not a struggle. If a job is not getting easier it probably means that one does not have the talent for it or is lacking experience.

34. Bigdady92

Bigdady92 [H]ardness Supreme

It reminds me more of the Japanese honestly.

35. DNMock

DNMock Limp Gawd

Well, it's a hell of a lot better than the whole "everyone is special and a winner, even if you didn't do anything and got throttled, and here is a participation award to prove it"

36. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

Corporate culture consists of
    1. Find ways to reduce worker load through efficiency gains
    2. Either trim the new glut of workers, or get them to do more work in the same time, now that they have more time to do shit
    3. GOTO 1

They have their cake and eat it too.

Welcome to capitalism.

LightsOut41 likes this.
  37. Hatriot

Hatriot Limp Gawd

You know this how exactly? My guess is that you are one of those that call anyone who expects you to own an alarm clock a fascist. I give the millennial generation grief, but blame their parents more which is my generation who I saw raising them with this horrible new "best friends" mindset. I have hired some outstanding millennials, however, who do not fit this mold and will do amazingly well in their career and in life in general. Sorry, but sometimes hard work is required and that is never going to go away no matter how many apps you have on your smartphone. Those that realize this will excel, those that don't will lay on couch and whine how they should be provided an income based on others actual hard work.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  38. Derangel

You know what they say about making assumptions don't you? I've worked my ass off most of my working life, working factory jobs and now being one of two people running a motel. I'm also looking at getting a second job because the first doesn't bring in enough money. I believe that you should work at your job, but you shouldn't have to be a wage slave in order to survive.

LightsOut41 likes this.
  39. horskh

horskh Limp Gawd

Since the sunshining didn't work, perhaps a little moonshine on the way out.

40. Disco_Stu_04

Disco_Stu_04 Limp Gawd

What do you do now?