Netflix’s Cutthroat Work Culture a "Nightmare"

The executive in question, Jonathan Friedland, ‘sunshined’ his misdeed—Netflix lingo for an apology

I can't stand this shit. Why do companies come up with stupid, ridiculous fucking buzzwords for ordinary words/actions?

The older generation always sees the younger that way. The entire "you must be a slave to your job" culture the US has is complete bullshit anyway. We should be finding ways for people to do their jobs in smarter, more efficient, ways instead of bemoaning when they don't want to be slaves to their bosses. As technology advances people shouldn't have to work harder or longer, it should get "easier" for them.

I simply want some of them to do the job they were hired to do. I don't care what they do with their time if they finish the project ahead of schedule. The problem is some of them literally just want to show up, browse Reddit all day, do absolutely nothing and expect to get paid.

That’s the fun part of employment in most places. At-will employment, no just cause needs to be given to remove an employee.

Sounds like a normal job atmosphere just with added transparency wherein they let everyone know the “just cause”.
I would agree with this. Too many people think a job is like a government appointment.
NO, getting the job is just the first step. You have to prove every day you deserve to keep it.
Way too many think that a pay raise is only based on longevity. That is pure labor union thinking. You only deserve to be paid more if you really DESERVE to be paid more. If you skill level rates it.
Of course this swerves into a life lesson anecdote:

A close friend of mine, a guy I went to high school with got a job at a TV station when he got done with his 4 years in the Navy. He was in avionics in the Navy and I told him the hot ticket was to get his FCC licence and go to work at a airport working on aircraft communications. He already had the training and experience. He said he was done with aviation and wanted to do something different.
So he got a job at a local TV station. Several years later I had since taken a job out of state but I happened to be back in town attending a training seminar. I gave him a call and he told me to drop by the TV station and ask for him at the desk. So I did. And it was a pretty neat experience getting a tour of the facility. Now this was right before broadcast TV station had to transition over to digital broadcast. He showed me the department he worked and it was all the old analog switchers and equipment for analog video. Most all the type equipment that was soon to be obsolete. Then he took me over to the "new studio". This is where all the new digital equipment and cameras were located. Very impressive. I noticed 2 computer based editing suites setup; they were expensive proprietary systems. I told him "Man, that is what I would want to get training on. Those are pretty high end setups." He said "Ah, they got new people hired to run those. I don't know much about computers anyway". I asked if he was trained up on the new switching consoles or anything. He replied "No, they are hiring a lot of new people for this studio". I was very surprised by his lack of concern. I replied "Well, if I were you I would be checking into that; find out why you are not getting the training. It would make me kind of nervous to be left out." He said "Oh, I ain't worried about that, I been here 12 years". At that I dropped the subject. But I was pretty sure of what would happen when they switched over to digital. Well, as it turned out my gut feeling was exactly right. They laid him off as part of a workforce reduction. And unfortunately I lost contact with him after this. Losing his job really took the wind out of his sails. I later found out he lost his home and his wife left him. It really blew my mind how he didn't see the handwriting on the wall in his situation. I had to reconcile the fact that he was not that dumb. More than likely management lied and told him his job was secure because after all, he had been there 12 years.

If only it was really like cutting the dead weight. My years of wisdom have taught me its not always the hardest most productive workers keeping their jobs. It's the ass kissers, back stabbers and political players in the company that seem to always skirt the knife when it's trimming time. I work in IT and really enjoy my job but still can't wait to retire in about 5-6 years to get away from all that crap.

If only it was really like cutting the dead weight. My years of wisdom have taught me its not always the hardest most productive workers keeping their jobs. It's the ass kissers, back stabbers and political players in the company that seem to always skirt the knife when it's trimming time. I work in IT and really enjoy my job but still can't wait to retire in about 5-6 years to get away from all that crap.

You nailed it.

This was my exact experience when I worked for a large corporation where the kiss ass, yes man culture was deeply ingrained. I hated every minute of it. When I got hit with a layoff I was actually relieved. I survived; that company didn't.

Back