NEC LCD2690

PC Connection seems to be asleep at the wheel. They're taking orders for the SpectraView edition, but they don't seem to be fulfilling them. I called, but nobody there seems to have any idea what's going on. I might as well cancel and order from somewhere else.

Which resellers are actually fulfilling orders for the SpectraView edition?

SpectraView edition would be nice. Here in Europe the basic 2690 costs >1200 eur and there is no possibility to buy the SpectraView software for it. It is sold separately only in USA. So you have to buy the SpectraView edition to get the software. The SpectraView models start from 1850 eur. So it's 650 eur for the calibration software and still you wont even get a zero faulty pixels guarantee. So forget it. Guess I'll still just have to wait into the future for better lcd's with lower prices and better guarantee.

SpectraView edition would be nice. Here in Europe the basic 2690 costs >1200 eur and there is no possibility to buy the SpectraView software for it. It is sold separately only in USA. So you have to buy the SpectraView edition to get the software. The SpectraView models start from 1850 eur. So it's 650 eur for the calibration software and still you wont even get a zero faulty pixels guarantee. So forget it. Guess I'll still just have to wait into the future for better lcd's with lower prices and better guarantee.

I think i will do the same, in Italy you can buy it >1400.... and 3 years warranty...... and no zero faulty pixel guaranteee....

I think i will do the same, in Italy you can buy it >1400.... and 3 years warranty...... and no zero faulty pixel guaranteee....

Is the warranty on the 90 series models,not 4 full years world wide ? It is in
North America.

In Europe the warranty is 3 years (4 years in US)
In Europe Nec monitors are more expensive than in US.
They don't sell the SpectraView software in EU.
The SpectraView variant does not include an colorimeter (in US it does) still the price is higher in EU.
You can't buy an 2490WUXi in EU, it's not available here.
To sum it up it just doesn't worth it to buy a (high-end) Nec monitor in EU.

Any screen or brand is more expensive in EU (and Europe) compared to US, not only NEC. I don't know where you are going with this... Are you blaming NEC, the EU price model or just trolling?

I paid $2 271 for the NEC 2690 according to xe.com (currency converter)

Eizo S2411W costs $1 638 on www.komplett.no (without calibrator/colorimeter)

Eizo CE240W costs $3 277 on www.komplett.no (without calibrator/colorimeter)

Any screen or brand is more expensive in EU (and Europe) compared to US, not only NEC. I don't know where you are going with this... Are you blaming NEC, the EU price model or just trolling?

Yes, but why they have different "Spectraview" strategy for displays sold in Europe and displays sold in US? I'm already familiar with that, and can't understand it. I'm in Europe and I appreciate NEC displays very much, I think they make some of the best displays currently on market, but why such as*hole politics for Europe?

I think it might have to do with them using a different spectraview version in Europe, the Spectraview Profiler. Can't say for sure, but it seems so.
The non-spectraview edition I got is great and I can't see what I would get more with a Spectraview edition except the program and the calibrator. No backlight bleed, no dead pixels or stuck pixels and all the tweaking options in the world except spectraview... :cool

Could someone explain something to me? Can the 2690's LUT be adjusted without spectraview software? If it can, what makes spectraview so special? If it can't why sell such a high end monitor without the ability to calibrate it to its full potential?

For LUT calibration, I think you need Spectraview software. Either spectraview 2 (US screens) or Spectraview profiler (EU screens with support for spyder2 btw).
I think its the same with the Eizo screens. To calibrate the LUT there, you need to use their own software. They don't include colorimeter with most of their screens either.

so theres no need for the actual spectraview package in Europe but you need to download either the 14 day trial spectraview profiler (or buy it), along with a colourometer to adjust the LUT? Does that that sound about right? If so what is the difference detween the Spectaview packaged software and the Spectraview profiler software?

Thats about right. The difference between the two packages (from what I've read and seen on screenshots + downloaded the trial of spectraview profiler), is that the EU version have another user interface and more hardware support. Besides that, both can calibrate the screens, with LUT, hardware and software calibration.
Spectraview edition gives hood and such, and might be eyeballed before sending it, so you have a chance of getting a "better" screen with no defects. I got one without defects as a regular screen and both the Spectraview edition and the ordinary edition are based upon Grade A panels, so there is some quality to expect anyway.

Get a screen, return it until you get a "perfect" specimen, then buy software and calibrator (and a hood if you need it). Presto! You have a spectraview edition screen :p

... and to complicate things more, Spectraview profiler v4 is just a rebranded BasICColor display v4, I wonder if the latest version of BasICColor display v4 is able to write the LUT of 2690.

However I wasn't able to find the origin of Spectraview II

Let me tell you about my (sole) experiences with Nec in my home country.
I'm an IT&C value added reseller in Romania. That's in Eastern Europe. Everybody can check at Nec Europe that there are 3 official dealers/importers for Romania.

Now, my client (enduser) needs five (5) state of the art displays for the work that it does. Clearly, only Nec and Eizo are the only ones that fulfills it's expectations. Eizo is not a problem in Romania, it has a good representation, you can buy whatever Eizo monitor you want, no problem, even the very expensive ones, with warranty/service/etc

But Nec ... it's a totally different story. I requested a quote for 2690 normal edition and SpectraView edition, the only p/n that the enduser wanted (of course, 2490WUXi was also good to go, but some "smart brain" at Nec Europe decided that 2490 it's not good for Europe).

To respond at my quote Two (2) of the official dealers/importers told me that they usually don't import this type of monitor and they cant help me (!) The last one told me that he is waiting for the quote to be responded by Nec Germany (the suplier) ... but over a week has passed from then. You can see, a really (very) bad joke.

It is easily understanded the frustration of the enduser who decided (in the end) to buy Eizo, because Nec chosed to ignore him, totally ignore him. This is Nec Display Europe and Nec Display Romania, I can't help it.

2690 it's a good monitor, probably. But what can you do if Nec just ignore you ... nothing I guess. The enduser wanted Nec more than Eizo but if Nec decided that it doesn't want to sell then Eizo it's a good pick in the end.

It's almost a ten grand (10000) that Nec lost to Eizo, in just one (small) deal. That is why I said (previous post) that Nec Display Europe it's a bad joke ...

It is easily understanded the frustration of the enduser who decided (in the end) to buy Eizo, because Nec chosed to ignore him, totally ignore him. This is Nec Display Europe and Nec Display Romania, I can't help it.

2690 it's a good monitor, probably. But what can you do if Nec just ignore you ... nothing I guess. The enduser wanted Nec more than Eizo but if Nec decided that it doesn't want to sell then Eizo it's a good pick in the end.

It's almost a ten grand (10000) that Nec lost to Eizo, in just one (small) deal. That is why I said (previous post) that Nec Display Europe it's a bad joke ...

It seems to me like NEC doesn't want to sell lot of displays in Europe. How can you explain this otherwise (well, I know you can explain it in different ways, but one wonders...). IMHO they did some really poor business decisions regarding Europe policies...

Well, I have received my monitor back from the service center and they fixed the noise issue - I ran the display the whole day to verify it.

Now I have another problem - with the hardware calibration. :mad:

I downloaded the trial version of SpectraView Profiler 4.1.2 and it doesn't allow to do hardware calibration! (Radeon 9550, DVI, ATI Catalyst 5.x, Gretag EyeOne display2 probe)

I have 4 options in the "Calibration method" menu (not 3, like in the manual) and the "Hardware calibration (monitor LUT)" is greyed out ! :confused:

I used the "Hard & soft calibration", which is not explained anywhere and the result is disappointing - the gray gradient shows light red and green hues.

Also, NaviSet says "No DDC/CI displays found"

Reinstall NaviSet using a command line:
setup /z"forcedriver"

Should install the DDC/CI drivers. :)

Lut calibration was disabled for me too when I ran the Spectraview profiler. I got combined hardware and software calibration, software calibration and profiling, but "hardware calibration (monitor LUTs) was greyed out... :( The calibration was good and no red and green hue in grey.

but is it so hard to calibrate this monitor ?
If i buy the normal 2690 in Europe do I need some special software for calibration or there is something that nec give me in the package ?

thanx

but is it so hard to calibrate this monitor ?
no!
2690 + 3rd party software = good calibration
2690 + Spectraview or Profiler = excellent calibration

I installed the latest Catalyst and .Net framework 2 and DDC/CI started to work in NaviSet, but still the "Hardware calibration" is not available in Profiler :(

I finally got around to getting my second replacement out of the box. Work is going to be the death of me soon. :(

No humming, no scratches, appears to be a newer rev than the previous couple LCDs. :) Now to wait for the 8900 release! :D

hi,

I got my second replacement a few days ago. Mine is out of the 7xx serial number range and is revision 3A. It hums, and this time I even got a dead pixel. When I called my service center, who tested it first, they said, that the noise is within the specified parameters.
To check if I have a problem with my ears, I got myself a 23" Cinema Display for one week, which is absolutely silent...

rao

hi,

I got my second replacement a few days ago. Mine is out of the 7xx serial number range and is revision 3A. It hums, and this time I even got a dead pixel. When I called my service center, who tested it first, they said, that the noise is within the specified parameters.
To check if I have a problem with my ears, I got myself a 23" Cinema Display for one week, which is absolutely silent...

rao

The dead pixel falls under NEC USA's dead pixel policy. All it takes is one. Where are you located?

I finally got around to getting my second replacement out of the box. Work is going to be the death of me soon. :(

No humming, no scratches, appears to be a newer rev than the previous couple LCDs. :) Now to wait for the 8900 release! :D

Aquila76 are you in the US or Europe? It seems recent reports in the US show the manufacturing fix that travbomb has been talking about.

I made the mistake of being an early adopter of the Sharp 32 inch display... And with the amount I paid (warranty plus tax) it has fallen $100 short of the NEC (my original choice)...

Also, any opinion on the responsiveness of the monitor in game play? Ghosting, etc?

Your input would be highly appreciated.. I researched this all before, but just reconfirming these reviews I have read.

Thank you,
Fred

Aquila76 are you in the US or Europe? It seems recent reports in the US show the manufacturing fix that travbomb has been talking about.

I made the mistake of being an early adopter of the Sharp 32 inch display... And with the amount I paid (warranty plus tax) it has fallen $100 short of the NEC (my original choice)...

Also, any opinion on the responsiveness of the monitor in game play? Ghosting, etc?

Your input would be highly appreciated.. I researched this all before, but just reconfirming these reviews I have read.

Thank you,
Fred

USA. Only my first display had the humming noise. The second one was quiet but was scratched in delivery.
This thing is flawless in terms of gameplay. I could see no ghosting or streaking and couldn't detect any input lag. No dead/stuck pixels or subs on any of the three displays.
I wrote a review at WideScreenGamingForum, as did Painman and Tamlin. I haven't any pictures of gaming (yet) due to some camera issues, but I'll be updating my review soon with some screencaps. I measured 15ms of input lag vs. my old CRT; but, take that with a grain of salt since the camera is not taking pics at fast enough speeds to be conclusive.

My review
Painman's
Tamlin's

PC Connection finally sent something out after I bugged them one more time. I hope they didn't send the non-SpectraView version. I guess I'll find out next week.

Could someone explain something to me? Can the 2690's LUT be adjusted without spectraview software? If it can, what makes spectraview so special? If it can't why sell such a high end monitor without the ability to calibrate it to its full potential?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm about to purchase a 2690, but I'm going with Colour Eyes Display Pro and DPT94/w calibrator from Integrated Colour Corp. Nec does not support this software however and so calibration will have to be done through manual proceedures via the User Interface. It has been suggested to me that the Colour Eyes calibration is the most accurate (for photography). It retails in Canada for @ $380.00 Cdn.

Lut calibration was disabled for me too when I ran the Spectraview profiler. I got combined hardware and software calibration, software calibration and profiling, but "hardware calibration (monitor LUTs) was greyed out... :( The calibration was good and no red and green hue in grey.

It's not possible to hardware calibrate the standard 2690WUXI with the SV Profiler (EU version). You can hardware calibrate genuine SpectraView 2690 displays only. NEC Europe did dongle this software to genuine SpectraView units. That’s what I call a BAD JOKE.

Have anyone tried to calibrate the Eu version with the Spectraview II software (american version)? Could it work?

I keep coming back to this thread and cant tell if users think if this a good PC gaming monitor or not? Some say yay and others say nay. I have no intention of playing xbox or ps3 on this thing and usually dont play to many fps games (except farcry and fear).

Did I read correctly that US NEC will replace if you have 1 dead pixel - very important to me and I would buy for this reason alone if true.

I keep coming back to this thread and cant tell if users think if this a good PC gaming monitor or not? Some say yay and others say nay. I have no intention of playing xbox or ps3 on this thing and usually dont play to many fps games (except farcry and fear).

A definite YAY without any hesitation! :D Also a big YAY for fps games though you don't play much of them. I've played ALOT now since I got the screen, to the extent of hurting my job and I love it!

PM travbomb and ask him,he works for Nec USA.

Ok I will but has Travbomb stopped looking at this thread cause it would also be another reason why I would buy this monitor. I like the 4 year warranty but cant stand dead pixels and willing to pay the money to ensure that I dont get any. Is NEC service that easy to deal with if I have any dead pixels or should I look elsewhere?

A definite YAY without any hesitation! :D Also a big YAY for fps games though you don't play much of them. I've played ALOT now since I got the screen, to the extent of hurting my job and I love it!

Great to know...thanks...I play more rpg games than I do fps games.

I've just read this whole thread. Very interesting, and even a bit of drama :eek: . Anyway, I'm very interested in one of these 1920x1200 NEC LCDs and I've got some questions:

Can any one comment on Karl Lang's negative assessment of the usefulness of wider gamuts with current hardware and software restraints. It's about a year old but still relevant I think.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/tforum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1700

I'm not yet convinced that the 2690's 93% coverage of the Adobe colour gamut is worth the extra cost over just buying the 2490. Of course the luminance stabilizer that's only on the 2690 is nice to have but higher dot pitch is not. I do a lot of text reading and CAD work - fine lines - (by profession) but want the colours for photoshop art work (hobby). Ideally I'd like a .25 dot pitch but if this cannot be had without sacrificing other stuff then so be it.

This 2690 vs 244T comparison over at Les Numeriques...

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=52&mo1=149&p1=1606&ma2=36&mo2=105&p2=1041&ph=6

...suggest the colours are very good after callibration, but I'm more interested in how it compares to the 2490.

How does the H-IPS A-TW Pol panel of the 2690 compare to the AS-IPS panel of the 2490. Is the H-IPS panel just an improved AS-IPS or are there pros and cons when comapring the two?

Can anyone tell me if the stand is height adjustable in portrait mode? If it's stuck at 700mm I think my neck's going to get sore. As far as I know all the 24"W and up monitors that have portrait mode capabilities have only one height. What's with that? If it can't be adjusted I guess I'm forced to buy a vesa mounting arm.

I live in Australia and for the life of me I can't find any NEC Australia parts and labour warranty information or dead pixel warranty for these monitors on their site or anywhere. Can anyone direct to me to a link. I can't spend this much money on a display without knowing before hand what the warranty conditions are.

In Australia our switches are 230V, similar to Europe. Does this mean Australian buyers will be experiencing this buzzing sound? (Any Australian owners of the 2690 out there please comment?). I've just silenced my computer and my work room is finally can-hear-my-ears-ringing quiet. I don't think I will be able to stand any buzzing/whirring noises.

And one last thing, in Australia the price of competing monitors are as follows:
AU$900 Dell 2407WFP (Samsung S-PVA)
AU$1100 BenQ FP241W (AU Optronics P-MVA)
AU$1600 Apple 23" Cinema Display (LG.Philips S-IPS)
AU$1600 Dell 2707WFP (Samsung S-PVA)
AU$1850 NEC LCD2490WUXi (LG.Philips AS-IPS)
AU$2050 NEC LCD2690WUXi (H-IPS A-TW Pol)
Is it worth the cost proportionally speaking to these other monitors do you think? (I know I'm the only one who can answer that based on my needs but opinions welcome). I'm not too happy about paying extra for the SpectraView II callibration software btw. I'd prefer a 24"W monitor because I think it's the perfect size. I want the colours but am not sure how much difference 95% AdobeRGB gamut is going to be in practical terms. I've never callibrated my current 17" Trinitron CRT before doing my art stuff so maybe the 24" will do for me. I will be watchig movies on it so 1080p is a must. Have I understood it correctly that 1:1 pixel mapping works fine on this monitor? Every other 24"W has problems with this it seems. I think in the end I need an all round performer.

Thx if you can help.

I do like the design of these monitors btw. I notice there's been little talk of this. I think it's one of the best. The BenQ comes closest. Thin black bezel. Uniform width all the way around so when you turn to portrait it doesn't look stupid. Stable stand. Matte not shiny and reflective. All monitor body designs should be there to frame and enhance the picture on the screen and not distract from it.

Back