NEC LCD2690

Has there been any consensus on that buzzing/chirping sound that some users have reported? I have extremely sensitive hearing and something like that would absolutely drive me nuts. My old CRT used to get a soft buzz in the back corner after it had been on a while and it really irritated me. And I've spent a fortune making my PC operate as silently as possible. My current Philips 23" LCD is, fortunantly, absolutely quiet and I would hope my next monitor would be too...

Well it's below my annoyance threshold. The sound coming from my HardDisks is so much louder, even while they are of the extra silent type.

But yeah, I'm disappointed a little that NEC seems to be trying to lower costs on parts for their power-supplies. It would be better if it was in a separated little box, like with my Samsung.

I can't hear mine, even from rather close. I can't get my ear right up to it, because it's directly under a shelf, sort of set back in. I also have very quiet equipment, becuase I record and mix music in here (as well as the photo work). My MacPro is not silent, but it's pretty quier when the fan's off. The monitor mighht not be completely silent - I don't doubt that others may hear something - but I just can't hear it at all.

I don't hear mine at all. There is some slight fan noise generated by my PC, but if my 2690 is making a sound then it's too low to be heard above it.

I'm still waiting for these to show up at reputable on-line dealers. What's really funny is that right now CDW has an OK price (~ $1600 shipped) and has them in stock (that place is usually jacked up like an athlete during the playoffs) and NewEgg wants over $1700 for it. The wait to place an order is killing me on this thing, but I know it'll be worth it.

I hear a faint buzz on the screen when I put my ear behind the screen. I can't hear it when I sit close to it or put my ear infront of it.

This screen is great! Too bright and oversaturated at first with way to much red. After calibration, I found pictures and games to be more "rich" in colors then before. There seems to be even more details then I previously have seen. My wife got amazed looking at some holiday pictures on it. We had picture of a donkey ride down to the boat on Santorini in Greece and there were patterns on the cloth on the donkey she didn't notice before.

No dead pixels, no backlight bleed and the panel seems like Grade A uniformity (I need to clean camera and see if the camera picks up something I haven't seen). So far all my backlight pictures turns out totally purple. I'm not good with camera...

Response time was a mixed experience. I haven't had any methodic testing of the response time yet, but I fired up UT2004 and started off by watching it in spectator mode without overdrive. Characters and cars stayed sharp upon movement, but the texture like the grass on Torlan was blurring much and to the extent of being intrusive. I sat a bit too close, and the blurring improved when I moved a bit back. I couldn't spot any ghosting or other artifacts. Because of the color richness, I played it a bit without overdrive and I started to get used to the blurring. It seemed slower then my f2304 without overdrive, but games were absolutely playable despite the blur.

When I put on the overdrive and restarted the game, the blurring was gone. I couldn't spot any response time artifacts either and picture was beautiful. Maybe UT2004 isn't the best way to reveal such artifacts, so I will see later when I do some more intensive testing. Rapid response does its job well! This panel seems very fast from what I have seen so far!

There were no smearing at all, with or without overdrive, so to quote Painman from his review: "This panel is no slowpoke!"

Here's a picture I took from this screen. It doesn't do it any justice and you can see that the camera needs cleaning. I'll try to make some better pictures later:

desktoppw8.jpg

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6172/desktoppw8.jpg
Geez, I'm surprised to see people actually using that terribly ugly default XP blue theme. Even the old Windows 95 colors and theme looked better than that.

can't get my ear right up to it, because it's directly under a shelf, sort of set back in.
Hmm.. you do realize it needs the cooling air-flow for a reason? Putting it directly under a shelf is not something I'd do.

Geez, I'm surprised to see people actually using that terribly ugly default XP blue theme. Even the old Windows 95 colors and theme looked better than that.

Lol!I actually found it refreshing when I reverted to it. :D I installed the longhorn (Vista) theme pack some time ago and I'm tired of all the themes.
Btw. you were right about the sharpness. The default (26.2) on my screen wasn't optimum either and needed to be adjusted up a bit.
I noticed if you adjust blackness for dark range and contrast for white range, while looking at each end of a greyscale palette could give good results in both ends. My other screen only has brightness and contrast adjustment.
The large pixel pitch was really a positive suprise too. It was one of my worries, but the screen door effect is minimal. Its there, but minimal and non-intrusive (for me at least. I used to sit infront of a f2304 23" 0.258, 1920x1200). At normal operating distance, I cannot spot it even. The larger font size makes me sit a bit further back, but I'm starting to find it pleasant when reading much.

Yay! I finally found one in stock at a dealer I've heard of before. Free FedEx ground shipping and no tax. Picked it up for $1530. I can't WAIT to get this up and running. I'll be posting some sweet PC pr0n very soon.

Has there been any consensus on that buzzing/chirping sound that some users have reported? I have extremely sensitive hearing and something like that would absolutely drive me nuts. My old CRT used to get a soft buzz in the back corner after it had been on a while and it really irritated me. And I've spent a fortune making my PC operate as silently as possible. My current Philips 23" LCD is, fortunantly, absolutely quiet and I would hope my next monitor would be too...

I emailed you separately about this as a fellow noise hater, but before I saw the thread below:

http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index....102&product_id=19235&msgcount=4&overclockid=0

This suggests that the amount of hum in an lcd may come from it's brightness dimming function - like a domestic dimmer switch. I have tried turning up the brightness on the 2690 and indeed it seems that the higher the brightness the less the high pitched hum.

This leaves a difficult choice: enjoy a perfect picture but go nuts listening to the hum, or get rid of the hum and fry your optic nerves!

Where are those foam ear plugs...?

David

Actually the buzzing I got with my 2690 was the loudest with brightness all the way up and all the way down with somewhat of a lesser volume in the middle. I still havent got it back or received a new one. I'Il will report back when I have.

Interesting. We must be hearing different things. For example, I can hear a marked difference in the high pitched hum when I use the ECO settings to determine Brightness - "2" (lower Brightness) has a much louder hum than "OFF" (higher Brightness).

I hope the replacement model is an improvement - that will be encouraging for all of us.

David

I wonder if this "humming" is going to be addressed by any maker of monitors ? I would pay a couple of hundred $ extra for a 24" if I could get a silent one :cool:

As I mentioned already, we have 30'' NECs at the office and there is no buzzing or hum to be heard (and we have quite a few of them). I'm sitting in front of a Philips 230W, and the only noise is coming from the internal speakers. When the volume is turned all the way down, it is dead silent. So is it just pure luck if your monitor doesn't annoy your ears? Maybe, but the 2690 I got was definitely faulty. I can't wait until the replacement gets here, because the picture quality (colors) IS very good.

As I mentioned already, we have 30'' NECs at the office and there is no buzzing or hum to be heard (and we have quite a few of them). I'm sitting in front of a Philips 230W, and the only noise is coming from the internal speakers. When the volume is turned all the way down, it is dead silent. So is it just pure luck if your monitor doesn't annoy your ears? Maybe, but the 2690 I got was definitely faulty. I can't wait until the replacement gets here, because the picture quality (colors) IS very good.

Just out of curiosity what 30 inch NEC's do you have?? I am not aware of any 30 inch NEC out there unless you are referring to the 32 inch unit? Just wondering.

How much have any of you paid for your 2690?

Just did a little research on Price Grabber for some of the better prices from decent retailers. Emailed all 3 regarding their dead pixel policy.

CostCentral.com - $1,604.31 shipped
Buy.com - $1,626.99 shipped
MacMall - $1,649.99 shipped

Anybody buy at a better price?

Try Froogle, and sort prices low to high. I think it starts around 1533$
Don't know about shipping..

Tarc

The best price I found was from Advanced Computer. $1530 shipped. They may charge tax, depending on which state you're in. Give them a call, they have ACTUAL LIVE PEOPLE that answer and know what they're doing.

Saw the priced from Advanced Computer on Price Grabber, but am hesitant to consider purchasing from them considering their 3.44 Reseller Rating. Do you know their policy regarding dead pixels?

but the 2690 I got was definitely faulty
I don't think NEC is unaware of the cheap parts they use for their built-in power supply unit. My guess is the demand for their product was too high for China to get done in time. Where they would normally wait for the approved parts, they now used what they had laying around.
My 2690 is definitely making noise too, a tone plus a buzz, and like with yours; depending on the power it needs to put on screen. (More contrast and/or brightness makes it louder.) But even though it seems to get worse, it's not loud enough for me to return it. I will repair it myself someday.

Yes it will use the full 12 bit. The document you arelooking at was written regarding the Medical Series and 80 Series LCD's which only use a 10 bit LUT.
Not to sound like a pain in the rear, but it would cost me 10 minutes to update the document, so that all 2690 users would know it uses the full 12 bit Look Up Table. How hard can it be to just do this and THEN put it on the CD that comes with all the new 2690s out there?

Really, I don't get these companies. Either you care about your product's quality, or you don't. Enough with the lazy flaky documentation and manuals, enough with the buzzing power-supplies already.

Not to sound like a pain in the rear, but it would cost me 10 minutes to update the document, so that all 2690 users would know it uses the full 12 bit Look Up Table. How hard can it be to just do this and THEN put it on the CD that comes with all the new 2690s out there?

Really, I don't get these companies. Either you care about your product's quality, or you don't. Enough with the lazy flaky documentation and manuals.

tell me about it. I'm trying to find shop that will give me 0 dead pixel policy on this nec. People should refuse paying that much for such poor dead pixel policy. Maybe then all the companies would wake up! I though that when I will choose to buy NEC I won't have to worry about that.Well they just want to sell their product and that's it.

I got mine a few days ago, but have only just gotten round to setting it up. There's very little too no noise coming from it, however i do have a stuck red pixel which is a little annoying, i'm trying to get rid of it now using JScreenFix, if it doesn't work does anyone have any idea what i can do?!!

try rubing it with soft cloth (on my friends 19" Smasung it worked). I think it's better to have stuck pixel then bad. With stuck there is always hope. But anyway it sucks with this kind of money! Good luck man!

One retailer that I contacted does not have a dead pixel policy and says that it is the responsibility of the manufacturer. I contacted NEC regarding their pixel policy and they will replace on:

1. One dead pixel (black/white)
2. or 10 dead sub-pixels (red/green/blue)
3. or 2 dead sub-pixels within a 5x5 (exact size is not confirmed, but this is what the rep believes it to be) area of each other

On another note, will this monitor require me to run it on a dual-head videocard, similar to how the Dell 30" or Apple ACD 30" is driven?

Saw the priced from Advanced Computer on Price Grabber, but am hesitant to consider purchasing from them considering their 3.44 Reseller Rating. Do you know their policy regarding dead pixels?

Dude, there's only 3 ratings for them at Reseller Ratings. Don't base it off of that. I went through every rating on PriceGrabber et al (where they're 4 Star plus) and most of the negatives were shipping related.

Dude, there's only 3 ratings for them at Reseller Ratings. Don't base it off of that. I went through every rating on PriceGrabber et al (where they're 4 Star plus) and most of the negatives were shipping related.

Actually there are 8 reviews with the last reviewer receiving a poorly packaged DOA HP printer. Potentially looking to purchase 2 NECs, it's very big concern for me to drop $3,000 on product.

But let me know how your transaction goes. Maybe things have changed for them...dude :p

cheers for the info with regards to the stuck pixel! i'll see how things go, do you reckon its ok to run this flashing thing over night, as some people suggest? Its not going to have any adverse affects on the particular area of the screen where it's running is it?

It may be comforting to know that I ordered mine here in the Netherlands *without* any pixel guarantee, according to the reseller it was NEC who I should turn to for that.
And by golly, not even a remote hint towards a dead or dying sub-pixel to be found on my panel. So they have not wasted energy or money on manufacturing (or picking) the panels, that's for sure.

....But even though it seems to get worse, it's not loud enough for me to return it. I will repair it myself someday.....

How will you do this? If you can repair it, do you think NEC could make repairs to sort out the noise? Is it technically difficult?

David

Back