NEC LCD2690

That sounds like ClearType. Do you have it enabled? If so, disable it. ClearType takes advantage of subpixels to make letters sharper on LCD monitors, but some people are annoyed by the colors.

If it's not ClearType, then I have no idea what it is because I have never seen or heard of this problem on any LCD monitor.

As for the sharpness control, that's just digital sharpening, which can be useful when using lower resolutions. Just set it to the lowest value that isn't blurry and don't worry about it.

You're crazy. Have you seen any of the newer Samsung monitors? They're awful. The Samsung 191T was my first LCD monitor, and I was generally satisfied with it, but I'm not happy with any of the current Samsung monitors. The colors are washed out and they lag, and the viewing angles are not good enough for large screens.

I have ClearType enabled and I have not this problem, use the monitor whit another computer or different cable.

That sounds like ClearType. Do you have it enabled? If so, disable it. ClearType takes advantage of subpixels to make letters sharper on LCD monitors, but some people are annoyed by the colors.

That's exactly what I thought too. The first step in tuning ClearType is choosing between RGB and BGR sub-pixel configuration and that sounds that could easily be the source of the problem. Try using the ClearType power toy at:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.mspx

OK, that was it. Sorry. I feel like a total ass.
I forgot that I ran a new OS install, which somehow had Font Smoothing enabled. Normally I never have.

Anyway, thanks for making my day.

I'm now very happy with it. Stunning actually. I'll show some pictures of it soon.

It was more than worth the wait!
Amazing colors indeed. Very heavy stand too. You will not knock it down any time soon.
Great on screen config by the way. Very user-friendly compared to Samsung's.

I'm now very happy with it. Stunning actually. I'll show some pictures of it soon.

That's great news Meow, congrats. Could you by any chance share where you got your Nec from? I am trying to locate one but no one has it in stock.

Congrats! Could you please share the place where you got your monitor from? I am trying to find one in the US but no one seems to have it in stock. I called NEC and they couldn't help me either.
I got it via OBCS in The Netherlands. Decent price by the way (€1238 all in).

My setting are:

Set to s-RGB 6500K
Brightness 60%
Black level 50%
Sharpness 29%
Colorcomp ON
Overdrive ON

Try this and then look.
I can recommend setting the RGB (color temperature) to P (programmable),
then install the GammaComp tool from the CD that came with the NEC.
Reboot.
Run GammaComp, and let it load current settings, then after that switch it to
[] Monitor Native Gamma and load the settings into the Monitor.

After that run the NVIDIA Control panel, go to Display > Run display optimization wizard.
Let it replace IC profile. Do 'next' until you're at Prepare for Brightness optimization, and set all the rest of the settings and finetune RGB color-gamma.

After a lot of finetuning my OSM settings now:

Brightness 0.0 % !
Contrast 50 %
Black Level 49.6 %

Sharpness 28.6%

(the default of 26.2 is, as far as I can tell, deliberately blurring to make possible banding look smooth, to me 28.6 seems to be the 'off' position for sharpening/blurring control)
DVI-D
Colorcomp On

Now for some sweet 1920x1200 wallpapers: http://digitalblasphemy.com/freegallery.shtml ;-)

Thanks Meow, learning every day;)
I'm happy with my screen and I'm sure with time U2.

My setting are now:

Brightness 0.0
Contrast 55.1
Black Level 45.3
Sharpness 28.6
s-RGB 6500K

Well I have the Brightness so low because I use very little room-light. I guess for most people it needs to be a little higher..

I've just watched my first 720p .mkv TV-episode on it (via DVI-D on PC). And yes, I'm really amazed by its quality. Simply superb, like you wrote earlier!
My NVIDIA is an Asus EN7600GT by the way. Happy with that too.

Thanks to those having put up with my mistake earlier ;-)

Originally posted by Tamlin_WSGF
Sorry for late reply. Yes, this is correct! If you have needs to access colors below the 93% of Adobe gammut, then this screen (the NEC) will not show those colors

I think you wanted to say above NOT below, right? :D
Actually in a review posted on the XL20, at xbitlabs the reviewer points out that although the monitor can display 114% of the Adobe RGB gamut, however the monitor's software is so poorly set up, that as a result it doesnt even cover the 100% of the Adobe gamut... If you look at the graph, the XL20 coverage triangle is quite significantly shifted from where it should be, one could argue that it is more than 7%(the difference between the XL20 and the NEC). Of course this doesnt mean that the monitor doesnt display more colours than the NEC, its just those are not Adobe RGB, but something else. So if your target was the Adobe RGB, then the XL20 may actually under perform the NEC in colour depth as well...

Have a look at the graphs on the links.

As someone who doesn't like the pitch on 24" monitors I would definitely not like this, plus for a few bucks more you can get a 2560x1600 30".

Though I am sure it will be nice for those with poor eyesight and deep pockets.
I can assure you, when you look real close to the MultiSync LCD2690WUXi, like 20 cm, you will not make out the dots. I have my old Samsung next to it, and with that you can clearly make out the dots at that distance (if your eyes are any good).

This is from the manual that was on the CD:

LCD Module
Diagonal:64.9 cm/25.5 inches Active matrix; thin film transistor (TFT)
Viewable Image Size:64.9 cm/25.5 inches liquid crystal display (LCD); 0.287mm dot pitch; 400 cd/m2 white luminance; 800:1 contrast ratio, typical.
Native Resolution (Pixel Count):1920 x 1200pitch
Input SignalVideo:ANALOG 0.7 Vp-p/75 OhmsDigital Input: DVI (with HDCP)
Sync:
Separate sync.TTL Level
Horizontal sync. Positive/Negative
Vertical sync. Positive/Negative
Composite sync. Positive/Negative
Sync on Green (Video 0.7V p-p and Sync Negative 0.3V p-p)

Synchronization Range
31.5 kHz to 91.1 kHz, 119.2 kHz* (Digital)
Vertical:50 Hz to 85 Hz
Viewing Angle
Left/Right:±89° (CR > 10)
Up/Down:±89° (CR > 10)

Image Formation Time
16 ms (Typ.) 8 ms (Gray to gray Typ)

And without overdrive.

Today I had a Phonecall with someone from NEC over here (Netherlands), but he said that only Spectraview monitors could be calibrated
Well, mine has the mark "Spectraview" below the title on the manual, so I guess I can use the software on mine. For the RGB settings on screen it also has the [P] option for Programmable. I'm guessing you need to have it on that for Spectraview to work.

By the way, I'm getting a working copy of the software next week from a friend, so I'll test it on my NEC.

Why are you guys buying this LCD when for a little more you could get a 30" LCD? Just curious :D

Games look great and with overdrive ON ! also fast, no ghosting and smear with beautiful colors!!
The performance in games is very good in my quick impression, i use the screen with the BFG Nvidia 8800 GTX.

Have you noticed any input lag?

Thanks

Why are you guys buying this LCD when for a little more you could get a 30" LCD? Just curious :D

Actually the LCD2690WUXi is more expensive than any of the current generation 30 inchers. Bigger is not always better ...

Does anybody know how to locate either a LCD2690WUXi-BK-SV or the one without the SpectraView II? I would prefer to buy the bundle but I cannot find it anywhere in the US. I really wouldn't like to place a backorder cause they tend to be unpredictable.

travbomb do you have any suggestions?

mutant said:

A-TW H-IPS panel with 92% NTSC / 93.4% Adobe RGB color gamut + internal color calibration with color uniformity compensation + 1080p with HDCP support and proper scaling

No other monitor has that combination of features. None of the 30" monitors have internal color calibration, and I don't think any of the 30" monitors support 1080p signals.

A-TW H-IPS panel with 92% NTSC / 93.4% Adobe RGB color gamut + internal color calibration with color uniformity compensation + 1080p with HDCP support and proper scaling

The new 30 Dell or Hp also have Ips panel with 92% of the NTSC.

Tarc

30" is really way too large for my taste. For me a couple of size-related things were important:
- Maximum 1:1 native resolution of 1920x1200 is ideal at 26 inch (I dislike higher resolutions)
- Small enough dot pitch for its position on my desk.
- Widescreen aspect ratio.
- Overall size and weight of the thing. I don't like it to be a piece of furniture.

I was actually first looking at 24" screens, and this NEC came closest to all my (high quality) demands. And because it is not a 30", it's - in most situations - faster.

No other monitor has that combination of features. None of the 30" monitors have internal color calibration, and I don't think any of the 30" monitors support 1080p signals.

It is the best screen even seen.;)

What I don't understand is the difference between internal calibration and calibrating profiles. I mean, the video card has to send the signal, the monitor displays it. Seems to me that if there is a disconnect between the two, then something is going to be wrong. As an extreme example, if the video cards profile thinks red is blue and sends the signal to the monitor, will the monitor display a the true color (red) or color that the video card thinks it is (blue)?

Have you noticed any input lag?

Thanks

The short answer to your question is yes input lag has been noticed.

We just got in an NEC 2690 and what a fine monitor it is for those into graphics and photography. The colors are exceedingly vibrant and clear. Out of the box brightness is glaringly bright and even adjusting the brightness down to 0 it is still a little bright for me. I have not tested the color accuracy but at bightness level but it looks like color accuracy may also suffer a bit. The pixel pitch is larger than the 24 inch monitor but still very useable.

When it comes to gaming this monitor is adequate. Even with overdrive on, there was input lag and some smearing of motion on the few games we looked at. I was also able to do an A/B comparison with the Dell 2407wfp A03 that was set up next to the NEC dispaly and if I were just buying for gaming purposes the Dell performed just as well albeit with a little different color pallette. For less than half of what we paid for the NEC 2690 I think gamers are better off saving their money and going with the Dell or other similar 24 inch monitors. If you are a Photoshop user this is the LCD display to get at this time.

Out of the box brightness is glaringly bright and even adjusting the brightness down to 0 it is still a little bright for me. I have not tested the color accuracy at the 0 bightness level but it looks like color accuracy may also suffer a bit when you drop the brightness to 0.
May also? Why "also", and why "may"? I haven't noticed that happening AT ALL. Brightness control is totally separate from colours on this screen.

Brightness control is totally separate from colours on this screen.

Yes, the brightness control is a separate control from the colors. However, changes in backlight levels (brightness) often shift the gray scale. This is what I believe I am observing. Without testing with a photospectrometer you cannot quantify the extent of the gray scale shift. I generally do not calibrate for the optimal combination of user brightness and grey scale accuracy until the unit has burned in a bit.

As per request from several potential buyers here I have tested SpectraView II on my machine. The software installed OK, it detected the display card, detected the LCD2690WUXi, but it could not find or detect a Color sensor. And yes, I have tried everything there is to try, even rebooted, but this model can't be calibrated using SpectraView. So boy am I glad I didn't pay for the SerialNumber I got ;-)
SpectraView II supports the following color sensors:
* NEC iOne Display V2
* NEC iOne Display V2 WG
* GretagMacbeth iOne Pro and iOne Monitor
* GretagMacbeth iOne Display V1 and V2
* Gretag Spectrolino (via RS232)
* X-Rite DTP94 / MonacoOPTIX-XR

My model (EDID-0 ID NEC66CB NEC LCD2690WUXi Digital) has DDC/CI support but does not seem to have one of the above.
According to the back of my NEC it is Revision 1.2.A.E. and Made in China. Mine came with two separate power-cables, a European one and a US one, btw.

I've looked at the SV II software;
The GammaComp software that came on the CD with my NEC, together with my videocard's NVidia calibration control and possibly even NaViSet and/or the free Adobe Gamma utility added, can do exactly the same thing! GammaComp worked OK for calibrating the LUT to my NVidia DVI-D out, when I had the OSM RGB on [P] for Programmable.

So for those who have their new NECs, this is the thing to use for it: http://www.necdisplay.com/gammacomp

As per request from several potential buyers here I have tested SpectraView II on my machine. The software installed OK, it detected the display card, detected the LCD2690WUXi, but it could not find or detect a Color sensor. And yes, I have tried everything there is to try, even rebooted, but this model can't be calibrated using SpectraView. So boy am I glad I didn't pay for the SerialNumber I got ;-)
SpectraView II supports the following color sensors:
* NEC iOne Display V2
* NEC iOne Display V2 WG
* GretagMacbeth iOne Pro and iOne Monitor
* GretagMacbeth iOne Display V1 and V2
* Gretag Spectrolino (via RS232)
* X-Rite DTP94 / MonacoOPTIX-XR

My model (EDID-0 ID NEC66CB NEC LCD2690WUXi Digital) has DDC/CI support but does not seem to have one of the above.
According to the back of my NEC it is Revision 1.2.A.E. and Made in China. Mine came with two separate power-cables, a European one and a US one, btw.

I've studied the SV II software, and I'm being real honest here;

The GammaComp software that came on the CD with my NEC, together with my videocard's NVidia calibration control and possibly even NaViSet and/or the free Adobe Gamma utility added, do exactly the same thing!
GammaComp worked OK for calibrating the LUT to my NVidia DVI-D out, when I had the OSM RGB on [P] for Programmable.

So for those who have their new NECs, this is the thing to use for it: http://www.necdisplay.com/gammacomp The version you get on CD is from last November 29, 2006.

The sensor is an external peripheral that must be purchased apart, is not inside it; the good news is that the software detect the european version of the monitor!!!!

this is a sensor:
i1_d2.jpg

Ah, that explains it. But how is calibrating using that thing any different from calibrating it using R G and B controls of your software-based tools? In the end what the eye sees is what counts, and using the cal. stuff already there it reaches the desired results.
How much more critical can you be?

Or is it intended for non-software based input usage, like when you have HDMI or D-sub connected?

Meow, this is what I was trying to explain earlier, but obviously I wasn't clear. Really, there are two different things - calibrating and profiling. Both use an external colorimeter, like the one shown in sosrah's post, which conencts to the computer via usb. The profiling software spends about 15 minutes making lots of pretty colors and measuring them through the colorimeter, then generates an ICC / ICM profile that your OS will then use to tell it how to display colors very precisely on that, specific monitor, by loading a LUT into your video card every time it starts up. This profile can be created with any profiling software, including the stuff that comes free included with the colorimeter. It's all part of the color management chain.

Optionally, SpectraView can use the same colorimeter to calibrate the display itself. This is less necessary, but can make things "better". For instance, it might not be possible for the profile to get exactly the output you want (in my case 6500 color temp., 2.2 gamma, 1.20 cd/m2 brightness) using just the video card's LUT, if the display itself is set up improperly. The profiling software may try to help you with this by looking at the puck and telling you, in effect, turn the red up and the green down, turn the brightness down, or whatever. But SpectraView is able to get it really right, by calibrating the LUT in the monitor itself, then generating the profile as well.

None of this makes any sense without the external sensor that actually measures what colors you are seeing. There's no way for the monitor to know, or to tell the computer that, for instance, its light source's spectrum has changed a bit.

Again, this doesn't matter much for most people. This monitor will satisfy most users straight out of the box and unprofiled. If, though, you want the colors you see to closely match the colors seen on some other profiled device (a printer, another monitor, or??) then an external colorimeter is the ONLY way to make that happen, for this or for any other monitor. Your comment that it's what the eye sees that counts is only partially true, because you are trying to standardize so that your eye sees exactly the same colors that will be produced and seen elsewhere by other people and devices.

BTW, SpectraView II with the Gretag I1 worked just fine for me with my lcd2690wuxi. However, I also got very acceptable results before the SpectraView software arrived by simply profiling with the Gretag software and leaving the monitor in native mode with the brightness way down. SpectraView is definitely easier to use, and maybe a bit better.

Meow, this is what I was trying to explain earlier, but obviously I wasn't clear. Really, there are two different things - calibrating and profiling. Both use an external colorimeter, like the one shown in sosrah's post, which conencts to the computer via usb. The profiling software spends about 15 minutes making lots of pretty colors and measuring them through the colorimeter, then generates an ICC / ICM profile that your OS will then use to tell it how to display colors very precisely on that, specific monitor, by loading a LUT into your video card every time it starts up. This profile can be created with any profiling software, including the stuff that comes free included with the colorimeter. It's all part of the color management chain.

Optionally, SpectraView can use the same colorimeter to calibrate the display itself. This is less necessary, but can make things "better". For instance, it might not be possible for the profile to get exactly the output you want (in my case 6500 color temp., 2.2 gamma, 1.20 cd/m2 brightness) using just the video card's LUT, if the display itself is set up improperly. The profiling software may try to help you with this by looking at the puck and telling you, in effect, turn the red up and the green down, turn the brightness down, or whatever. But SpectraView is able to get it really right, by calibrating the LUT in the monitor itself, then generating the profile as well.

None of this makes any sense without the external sensor that actually measures what colors you are seeing. There's no way for the monitor to know, or to tell the computer that, for instance, its light source's spectrum has changed a bit.

Again, this doesn't matter much for most people. This monitor will satisfy most users straight out of the box and unprofiled. If, though, you want the colors you see to closely match the colors seen on some other profiled device (a printer, another monitor, or??) then an external colorimeter is the ONLY way to make that happen, for this or for any other monitor. Your comment that it's what the eye sees that counts is only partially true, because you are trying to standardize so that your eye sees exactly the same colors that will be produced and seen elsewhere by other people and devices.

BTW, SpectraView II with the Gretag I1 worked just fine for me with my lcd2690wuxi. However, I also got very acceptable results before the SpectraView software arrived by simply profiling with the Gretag software and leaving the monitor in native mode with the brightness way down. SpectraView is definitely easier to use, and maybe a bit better.
I know you didn't direct this to me, but this is a very thorough explanation that answers my question from the previous page. The puck is the key, which in my case is the Monaco Optix puck.

I think you wanted to say above NOT below, right? :D
Actually in a review posted on the XL20, at xbitlabs the reviewer points out that although the monitor can display 114% of the Adobe RGB gamut, however the monitor's software is so poorly set up, that as a result it doesnt even cover the 100% of the Adobe gamut... If you look at the graph, the XL20 coverage triangle is quite significantly shifted from where it should be, one could argue that it is more than 7%(the difference between the XL20 and the NEC). Of course this doesnt mean that the monitor doesnt display more colours than the NEC, its just those are not Adobe RGB, but something else. So if your target was the Adobe RGB, then the XL20 may actually under perform the NEC in colour depth as well...

Have a look at the graphs on the links.

Above what what I meant, yes... :D

I can see that the XL20 has problems not only with RGB, but also with sRGB. Looking at the test from Behardware, it looks also like its a 6-bits panel with 16.2M colors: http://www.behardware.com/articles/654-1/xl20-samsung-s-1rst-lcd-led.html. This must be wrong. There is also an error where he should show the RBG results, but the reference triangle is sRGB.

Ah, that explains it. But how is calibrating using that thing any different from calibrating it using R G and B controls of your software-based tools? In the end what the eye sees is what counts, and using the cal. stuff already there it reaches the desired results.
How much more critical can you be?
With 24-bit and 32-bit color, you have 8 bits per RGB channel, which means 256 shades of red, green, and blue.

When you calibrate through the video card or through software, you are remapping the 256 shades, but you only have those 256 shades to choose from. There are no in-between shades. This means some shades will be repeated while others will be lost. This shows up as banding in gradients. You are effectively reducing the color depth. Instead of having 256 distinct shades, you might end up with 200 instead, and some of those shades may not be accurate enough since there are only 256 to choose from.

When you calibrate through the monitor, you are also remapping the 256 shades, but you have 4096 shades to choose from with a 12-bit lookup table. You are basically given in-between shades. This means shades are not likely to be repeated, and you don't have to worry about losing shades. Gradients will be smooth. You will still have 256 distinct shades, and since there are 4096 to choose from, colors will be more accurate. Also, when you calibrate through the monitor, the brightness can be measured and set automatically, and you don't have to fiddle with any of the color settings to get the best results.

As an example, I'm currently using an NEC 20WMGX2. Out of the box, there's a little too much green, and the gamma is a little lower than 2.2. Most people will not notice or care about that, but it bothers me because I can see it. I can use the RGB controls to reduce the amount of green, but that affects the brighter shades more than the darker shades. I can get the white point pretty close to 6500K, but the darker shades are still too green. There's also no gamma control on this monitor. The only way to fix the colors is to calibrate through the video card, but then shades are lost and gradients aren't smooth. Basically, there's no way for me to get accurate colors and smooth gradients at the same time on this monitor. It's either one or the other. Other than that and some image persistence, I'm pretty happy with the monitor, but I'd like something bigger. I tried a bunch of 23"/24" monitors, but none were satisfactory. They all either had backlight bleeding or significant lag along with other problems.

I don't really need color accuracy since I don't do anything color-critical, but after trying so many monitors and noticing that colors varied from unit to unit, with some units looking better than others, it started to bother me. I wanted consistency, so I got a colorimeter, but then I found that correcting color through the video card caused banding in gradients because shades are being lost. I want accurate colors and smooth gradients. The only solution is to get a monitor with internal color calibration, but that limits my choices greatly.

I tried an Eizo CE240W, but I was disappointed because it had all the problems that I've seen in other monitors with PVA panels. It had the same input lag that the Dell 2405FPW has. It had the same washed-out look that I've seen in other monitors with PVA panels due to the poor viewing angles. It also had the same color trailing problem that I hear the Dell 2407WFP has. It had more accurate colors though, but even then, it still wasn't accurate enough because it only measured the brightest shades and adjusted the gain accordingly. That left the midtones slightly inaccurate. It didn't matter anyway because the sides were more washed out than the middle due to the poor viewing angles, and for some reason, the left side was worse with darker shades, which negates the benefits of color accuracy. Overall, I didn't feel it was worth it.

As you can see, I'm very picky, but I'm only picky about problems that I know can be solved. I'm willing to pay the price for a good 1920x1200 monitor, but I can't even find one! I'm hoping this monitor is the one, but lag is one of my concerns.

Jorgen Fundingsrud at the Norwegian website Hardware.no has posted his recent review of the NEC 2690WUXI. Jorgen is very complimentary of the monitor for the purpose of the graphic arts and notes its improvements over other NEC models that he is familiar with. However, he was unimpressed with the monitors gaming performance. Jorgen states:

"Dette er ikke en grafisk skjerm for spillere, men en allsidig skjerm for grafikere."

Translated it means: This is not a graphic display unit for [game] players, but an all-round display unit for graphics.

It seems that another independent reviewer has a less than stellar opinion of this monitor relative to its gaming capabilities. Let the character assassination of the reviewer begin! Maybe he is another reviewer that has issues with manipulating the monitor's menu's :rolleyes:

Yet another review from Norway. Written by Brynjulf Blix, a reviewer who actually knows how to navigate through OSM when testing the screens. He gave it green light for gaming!:

"Bildekvalitet
Akkurat som hos 20-tommeren i samme serie, er det ikke vanskelig å se forskjellen i bildekvalitet, den er åpenbar allerede ved første bilde. Testmønstre eller digitalfoto, DVD og spill - alt blir mer levende og mer intenst, detaljer kommer tydeligere fram og det blir et helt annet liv i fargespillet enn hos billigskjermer."

translated:

Image quality
Just like the 20" in the same serie, its not difficult to see the difference in picture quality, its obvious already at first image. Testpatterns or digital photos, DVD and games- everything becomes more alive and more intense, details are clearer and it becomes a whole different life in the colors/colorplay then with cheap screens.

"Etterslep er heller ikke noe problem, med overdrive aktiv er det bare så vidt antydning til et lite etterslep på ekstremt vanskelig materiale." Grade for response time 8 of 10. :)

In comparison the Dell 2407WFP reviewed the same place by the same person only got a 6 of 10. review 2407WFP din side

translated

Ghosting/motion blur is not a problem either, with overdrive active, there is barely a trace of minor ghosting/motion blur on extreme difficult material.

"Konklusjon
Denne skjermen er en av de aller beste vi har testet. Bildekvalitet, konstruksjon og betjening er ganske enkelt i særklasse."

translated
Conclution
This screen is one of the best we have tested. Picture quality, construction and operation is simply of a class by itself.

Link: review dinside

In comparison

Hi everybody, first post :D

This is a question I was hoping travbomb could answer. I just received my 2690wuxi here in Switzerland. It looks like a superb monitor, but there are some issues:

1 - The fan is really loud and high pitched! We have some 30inch NEC LCDs at work and they are barely audible. It is impossible to watch a movie without closed headphones at high spl levels. Working in front of it isn't a joy either. Is this a problem with the first batch? Did I just receive a DUD?

2 - When watching DVD I like them with 1:1 pixel mapping (1920x1080). When not using full screen (which works alright) I get GRAY bars at the top and bottom! Add to that the black bars of the movie and you get a visual sandwich that's not very tasty...
Also one of the two modes (ASP should remove the black bars of the movie by zooming in without changing OAR) and 1:1 (OFF which should leave everything untouched) doesn't work properly. Because when I switch between the 2 the black bars of the movie disappear by stretching the video vertically. The actual width stays the same. So, either the zoom ASP doesn't work right by stretching instead of zooming or the OFF has an overscan and actually squeezes the video. My guess is the first but I haven't confirmed with test patterns yet.

Is it possible to update the firmware yourself? Is there an update in sight? Is this problem with the European models only?

I'm really sorry for all these questions, but I wrote 2 emails to NEC Europe in Germany and haven't received an answer yet. The online retailer said I should open a case for warranty and get it replaced. But will another unit be without those problems? After Spending approx 1500 USD I am kind of :mad:

Thanks for any info on that matter!

2 - When watching DVD I like them with 1:1 pixel mapping (1920x1080). When not using full screen (which works alright) I get GRAY bars at the top and bottom! Add to that the black bars of the movie and you get a visual sandwich that's not very tasty...

On the manual of the 2690 (link: http://www.necdisplay.com/corpus/7/5/LCD2490_LCD2690wuxi_user_manual.pdf) page 22 of the manual (page 24 of pdf) under Tag7 you can set Side Border Color. Quote from the manual "Adjusts the side black bars color between black and white. For wide aspect monitors".

This setting is available through the advanced settings. Maybe this will fix the "gray" bars.

Also one of the two modes (ASP should remove the black bars of the movie by zooming in without changing OAR) and 1:1 (OFF which should leave everything untouched) doesn't work properly. Because when I switch between the 2 the black bars of the movie disappear by stretching the video vertically. The actual width stays the same. So, either the zoom ASP doesn't work right by stretching instead of zooming or the OFF has an overscan and actually squeezes the video. My guess is the first but I haven't confirmed with test patterns yet.

Have you tried the advanced settings H.Zoom, V.Zoom and Expansion under Tag4 on the advanced menu?

Are the bars dark gray or are they a lighter color? If they are a dark shade of gray the problem is probably with your video card settings. Sources such as DVD video usually use a luminance levels ranging from 16-235 while PCs tend to use levels ranging from 0-255. Some video cards do not properly translate between the two level ranges by default.

This can be fixed on nVidia based graphics cards by adding a registry entry to force 16-235 levels for DVD video content. I have no experience with ATI/AMD cards, but they probably have a simular setting.

1 - The fan is really loud and high pitched!
I didn't even know there were fans in these things. Mine is so silent I did not realize one was in there.

The grey bar thing also says me nothing. Mine are black.

I didn't even know there were fans in these things. Mine is so silent I did not realize one was in there. But honestly, I find this to be quite a surprise. When it starts making noise, it no longer is a monitor as far as I'm concerned, so they could at least warn potential buyers that these things even HAVE fans in them. I didn't know, and if I had known I would not have bought it, most likely, 'cause they are asking for trouble with that!
It's not without reason that I have a silent graphic card, a silent CPU-cooler and a silent Zalman PSU.
I really don't get that. How can a stand be made so heavy, yet not enough metal be used for cooling?

The grey bar thing also says me nothing. Mine are black.

Just spoek with engineering and there is no fan inside of the LCD2690WUXi-BK. Not sure what you hearing but I would double check that it is the display.

O.k., I just checked the display again. The noise actually changes when I change the brightnes setting. It gets lower at 50 percent and increases again towards 00 (factory is 100). Really strange. When there is no fan it could be the power supply, I guess.

About ASP and OFF: Initial excitment and disappointment made me mix up some things. FUL actually streches the 1080 image to 1200 and ASP would scale the video, but my DVDs get scaled by the Denon 2930, so there is no difference between ASP and OFF. Sorry about that.

I will check that setting in the advance menu to see if I can solve the problem with the grey bars. Thanks for that tip.

Back