NEC LCD2690

22" and 24" with glossy? Man I need this LCD either the 22" or 24" depending on price. Is this for sale now? I have a 19" NEC 1970GX with glossy... I love it ;) I was looking to upgrade to a bigger size but couldnt find anything glossy now this comes! Im already sold on this monitor just need to know where it is.

Hey Travbomb-all this talk about your new series of high quality professional monitors makes me wonder- What is the BitBLT speed of your 90 series monitors? Thanks dude.

What is the direct time of selling and official presentation? Any changes in specs or price? I've heared that european NEC representative office didn't hear about 2490, and selling of 2690 can be started only on the second week of december. Just rumours?

There was NEC annual european Press Event (18 Oct 2006). Maybe someone was there. Any other news?

Sorry for my English. :cool:

Elnar said:
What is the direct time of selling and official presentation? Any changes in specs or price? I've heared that european NEC representative office didn't hear about 2490, and selling of 2690 can be started only on the second week of december. Just rumours?

There was NEC annual european Press Event (18 Oct 2006). Maybe someone was there. Any other news?

Sorry for my English. :cool:

Plenty of news from the NEc press conference here for you :) Spec sheet of the LCD2690WUXi available here (assume that's the one you were referring to?) The production of the 2690 was due to start this week, with expected release of early December hopefully.

Regarding the LCD2490, it wont be available in Europe by the look of things at this stage, but will be in the US. The 2690 was the screen of choice for release in the US. See here for a bit of news about the LCD2490 and any more as it comes in :)

2 Kherozene
It's the highest 2690 price forecast, I've seen. Will see.

2 Badd
I saw all these 2690 links. Not too much information.
But thank's for LCD2490 link - I've missed it.

Elnar said:
2 Kherozene
It's the highest 2690 price forecast, I've seen. Will see.
that price came direct from the Senior Product Line Manager at NEC, so should be accurate. Hopefully we will see a decrease in the price on release though or soon after.

2 Badd
I saw all these 2690 links. Not too much information.
But thank's for LCD2490 link - I've missed it.

What other info would you like? :)

UK prices for electronics do not translate well to US prices, definitely not a straight currencly conversion. I would wait until they announce a US price.

Keep in mind the premium that the 20" monitor has in the US over other monitors, I expect that NEC will charge extra for their nice S-IPS monitors, as well they should.

sethk said:
UK prices for electronics do not translate well to US prices, definitely not a straight currencly conversion. I would wait until they announce a US price.

Keep in mind the premium that the 20" monitor has in the US over other monitors, I expect that NEC will charge extra for their nice S-IPS monitors, as well they should.

$1750 was the preliminary expected US price, so that obviously works out a bit cheaper than the UK once you convert $ > £. We will have to wait and see though once it's released, these are just expected prices from NEC at this stage

I am in the market for a widescreen LCD for photgraphic editing. Over here (The Netherlands) the price of this NEC 2690WUXi is in the same range as the NEC 2190UXi.

But I have the following questions about the NEC2690UXi:

1) What's the purpose of this monitor? gaming, CAD design, photography etc... I am not interested in speed, but only in natural colours and an uniform illumination from the entire display

2) How to calibrate these (2190UXi and 2690UXi) monitors? In the US the Spectraview software can be purchased for about $169 that can be used with my MOnaco Optix XR to calibrate the internal LUT of the monitor. However in Europe the don't sell this software and some people say that the Spectraview software sold in the US doesn't work with monitors sold in the EU...

The alternative would be the NEC Spectraview 2190 but that one is way to expensive for me ~2000Euro / $2500 USD. The nec spectra 2190 is the LCD2190UXI-SV with a hood in the US.

ps. I hate these marketing tricks. :(

RedRebel said:
I am in the market for a widescreen LCD for photgraphic editing. Over here (The Netherlands) the price of this NEC 2690WUXi is in the same range as the NEC 2190UXi.

But I have the following questions about the NEC2690UXi:

1) What's the purpose of this monitor? gaming, CAD design, photography etc... I am not interested in speed, but only in natural colours and an uniform illumination from the entire display

2) How to calibrate these (2190UXi and 2690UXi) monitors? In the US the Spectraview software can be purchased for about $169 that can be used with my MOnaco Optix XR to calibrate the internal LUT of the monitor. However in Europe the don't sell this software and some people say that the Spectraview software sold in the US doesn't work with monitors sold in the EU...

The alternative would be the NEC Spectraview 2190 but that one is way to expensive for me ~2000Euro / $2500 USD. The nec spectra 2190 is the LCD2190UXI-SV with a hood in the US.

ps. I hate these marketing tricks. :(

1. The monitor is made for photogrpahy, high end graphics, medical apps, CAD, etc. Pretty much anything that is color sensative.

It may also work for gaming though since it has a quick response time.

2. I will look into this. I am not totally sure how Europe handles their software. I would check out Dpreview for some info from other European users as far as Spectraview goes.

Thanks TravBomb,

Today I had a Phonecall with someone from NEC over here (Netherlands), but he said that only Spectraview monitors could be calibrated, but I didn't have the feeling that he new where he was talking about.

From what I know (DPreview, Luminouslandscape and Fredmiranda) the NEC 2190UXi is a very good performer and is great value for money. I expect the NEC 2690WUXi to perform about as good, but I would like to calibrated it using the NEC (US) spectraview II software or other software, combined with my Monaco Optix XR.

The 2690WUXi will be available here starting from next week and is sold for about E1300,- ~$1700,-

Thanks for your co-operation

Jesus! Why are Nec so damn expensive? I mean how much better is it compare with the other LCD??

ASIA911 said:
Jesus! Why are Nec so damn expensive? I mean how much better is it compare with the other LCD??

There is a long list of ASIC's that these monitors use that almost no one elses uses for color critical applications. Also things like 4 year standard warranties and S-IPS panels bring up the price.

Yes the 2490 will have HDCP over DVI

travbomb said:
There is a long list of ASIC's that these monitors use that almost no one elses uses for color critical applications. Also things like 4 year standard warranties and S-IPS panels bring up the price.

Yes the 2490 will have HDCP over DVI

I kinda understand that but common, twice the price?? I mean if they want to make great profit and blow away the field, lower the damn price for goodness shake. I mean I would love to buy this their monitor but since I don't think I would pay twice the price for the same size monitor because I don't believe that it's that much better than the other lcd. I mean no doubt it's better but how much better??

I mean they are totally over pricing their monitor more than it worth.

ASIA911 said:
I kinda understand that but common, twice the price?? I mean if they want to make great profit and blow away the field, lower the damn price for goodness shake. I mean I would love to buy this their monitor but since I don't think I would pay twice the price for the same size monitor because I don't believe that it's that much better than the other lcd. I mean no doubt it's better but how much better??

I mean they are totally over pricing their monitor more than it worth.

hi ASIA, from 1 to 10, where is acer vs benq vs nec? (10 been best)

samsung.204b said:
hi ASIA, from 1 to 10, where is acer vs benq vs nec? (10 been best)

Sorry I can't totally comment that since I don't have first hand on the Benq or the Nec. I've only use the Acer AL2423wr, Viewsonic Vp211B and the Viewsonic VG2021M. The Acer is by far the best one compare to the other two.

But by word of mouth seems I would rank Nec, Benq and Acer(way down the list) in that order.

Are 2690 or 2490 are capable of displaying the full 1080P signal from external sources(e.g. blu-ray player)?

If it supports HDCP, yes. If not, you'll have some trouble finding an unencrypted 1080p source device.

stop your crying ASIA..

it's twice the price because it isn't like the rest...

NEC is NOT marketing this for general users (gamer, browsing..)

accurate color reproduction is the premium you have to pay since it requires extra chips and different panel tech to process it properly...

now if you think that isn't worth the price..or not involved in color sensitive activities, simply walk away...there are other options you can take for things you want to do...

Justinkoko said:
stop your crying ASIA..

it's twice the price because it isn't like the rest...

NEC is NOT marketing this for general users (gamer, browsing..)

accurate color reproduction is the premium you have to pay since it requires extra chips and different panel tech to process it properly...

now if you think that isn't worth the price..or not involved in color sensitive activities, simply walk away...there are other options you can take for things you want to do...

Yeah right. I'm not crying, I'm stating the obvious facts. You must be pretty stupid to state "NEC is NOT marketing this for general users (gamer, browsing..)". The monitors we are talking about here aren't the medical grade LCDs that you're thinking that cost about $4000 and up. NEC is also marketing for general uses as for internet surfing, gaming ect. and these are the monitors that are listed here. I'm stating the obvious fact that they are over pricing their products for what it's worth. Yes their lcd monitors might be one of the best at the moment but in no way it should be pricing ridiculously. It's their marketing stragety since alot of people out there aren't that educated enough to know that their products aren't that much more superior to the next. WHile their 24" cost like a ridiculous +$1500, you can get another monitor that can perform just a good for half the price.

ASIA911 said:
Yeah right. I'm not crying, I'm stating the obvious facts. You must be pretty stupid to state "NEC is NOT marketing this for general users (gamer, browsing..)". The monitors we are talking about here aren't the medical grade LCDs that you're thinking that cost about $4000 and up. NEC is also marketing for general uses as for internet surfing, gaming ect. and these are the monitors that are listed here. I'm stating the obvious fact that they are over pricing their products for what it's worth. Yes their lcd monitors might be one of the best at the moment but in no way it should be pricing ridiculously. It's their marketing stragety since alot of people out there aren't that educated enough to know that their products aren't that much more superior to the next. WHile their 24" cost like a ridiculous +$1500, you can get another monitor that can perform just a good for half the price.

fact? what fact?
NEC 2690WUXi immediately denotes that it is categorized as one of their color critical products...no way it is categorized as general consumer product for gaming and web surfing.. :rolleyes:

ASIA911 said:

Not to be all Economics 101, but I think it's important to keep in mind that nothing has an intrinsic value. It's all determined by the market and what people are willing to pay. So even if, say, for the sake of argument, the differences between the NEC and other monitors is relatively small (in terms of the extra technology necessary to accomplish what they want with colors) NEC can still charge whatever people are willing to pay for that difference. And at the end of the day, that's how every price on every monitor (or any item for sale) is determined.

cb474 said:
Not to be all Economics 101, but I think it's important to keep in mind that nothing has an intrinsic value. It's all determined by the market and what people are willing to pay. So even if, say, for the sake of argument, the differences between the NEC and other monitors is relatively small (in terms of the extra technology necessary to accomplish what they want with colors) NEC can still charge whatever people are willing to pay for that difference. And at the end of the day, that's how every price on every monitor (or any item for sale) is determined.

NEC isn't selling crap. Who even knows about NEC?

syntax_terror said:
NEC isn't selling crap. Who even knows about NEC?

I wasn't trying to suggest NEC is selling crap. My impression is that their monitors are very high quality.

I was just trying to make a point about how pricing in a market is independent of the actual production cost and quality of a product. Which was a response to ASIA911, who doesn't think the NEC 2690 is enough better in quality than other 24" monitors to justify it's cost. My point was that the differences in quality are not intrinsically tied to price nor do they relate to price in any linear fashion.

Over here (Netherlands) the Dell 2404WFP costs E1070,- while the NEC LCD2690WXUi sells for E1300,- . If for -that money- this NEC has the same very high image quality as the NEC 2190UXi then this new 26" inch wide screen monitor has a high but fair price. NEC's 90 series monitors are monitors for CAD, photographic, semi medical and office use. Offcourse you can use them at home for gaming or DVD playing, but that is not what they have been engineerd for. For gaming have a look at their GX series.

The compareable Eizo S2410 high end monitor sels here for about 1400,- but I expect it to drop to about 1200,- since thats the list price in Germany.

Although a monitor can handles HDCP does not translates to be able to display 1080P external signal. Dell 2407FPW has HDCP but it down converts 1080P to 720P signal. This is well documented in the dell forum community. Gateway also has announced an HDCP monitor but is only capable of accepting 1080i signal.

Before moving to the Netherlands I sold my desktop PC (inc monitor) in favour of a more travel friendly laptop. I have grown to hate it's overly high resolution for it's size and the horrible brightness/color/contrast falloff when I move my head 1° off axis. so I have been looking for a good quality monitor that is suited to photography, painting, 3D (texture) work pretty much since I came here.

I used to own the Dell 2405FPW and although I was happy with it's performance generally it was not great for accurate greyscales or colours. I had heard so many people complaining about the new Dell (2407FPW) that I will not touch it with a barge poll considering I want it for. I was interested in the BenQ FP241WZ for quite a while but I got tired of waiting for that a long time ago. Then recently I heard of the NEC LCD2690 and was extremely impressed. Now although the NEC doesn't have any video inputs, USB hub or a HDMI, the fact that it has been made for colour accuracy is a big benefit to me. The slightly bigger size and 95% Adobe RGB colour space is also very appealing to me so I ordered one.

I even found a shop selling the NEC right here in Amsterdam for about the same price as the 24" BenQ (1300 euros), I was told they will be in stock on Wednesday so all being well I will report back with some hard facts about how good this monitor is, or isn't (hopefully not thought =) soon.

I don't see why some people are unhappy about the price of this monitor. Does anyone who is really passionate about image quality / colour accuracy who simply must have an large widescreen LCD think this is too much?

..exactly, the only monitors that seem in the same league are the Eizo S2410 and Eizo CE240 which are using S-PVA panels and are considerably more expensive E1500 ~ E1900 :eek:

artmonkey said:
I even found a shop selling the NEC right here in Amsterdam for about the same price as the 24" BenQ (1300 euros), I was told they will be in stock on Wednesday so all being well I will report back with some hard facts about how good this monitor is, or isn't (hopefully not thought =) soon.

PS. about which shop in Amsterdam are you talking about?

RedRebel: The shop I found in Amsterdam is called 'Hardware Discount'

If you search for it through the site it's actually under 22-25" monitors which threw me off the first time I visited as you'd expect it to be under the 26-34" section. The full price is E1295.91 by the way so pretty much E1300, I have seen it for more than E1500 on a French website though. Also I noticed the price in America seems about the same ($1700+) which is much higher than usual so I guess the value for US people is not quite so great.

Thanks!

I am looking for a shop that actualy gives a pixel guarantee.

ANother shop that sells this monitor (but not in stock yet) is www.JMW.nl, there it sells for 1301,32

My order for this monitor has been delayed until tomorrow now.

I asked the shop about their policy on dead pixels and it seems they accept quite a few before they consider it to be faulty. I'm not sure that's normal these days. On the up side, sort of, I can buy a pixel guarantee for 100 euros which means I could send it back even if there is 1 dead pixel but only during the first 10 days.

I am considering this but also wondering, what does anyone else think?

Does anyone know what NEC's policy is on dead pixels as I cannot find any information and the email address I have for them seems unhelpful (no replies).

I contacted the same shop and the also told me that I had to pay E100 for a 10 day pixel guarantee. Alternate (Rotterdam) has the same policy but the monitors are even more expensive there.

Only Disc Planet in Eindhoven sels Eizo with 100% pixel guarantee, but they don't have NEC. The only option would be the Eizo S2410 which has the same price tag as the NEC. The CE240 is much more expensive.

Hmm, I'm not too keen on Eizo displays. I looked into them recently and it seems they charge way too much for what they offer. The 'ColorEdge CG221' for example is E4000, it has no feature that the NEC LCD2690 doesn't have, plus it comes with no callibration tools included and is 4" smaller. I really can't see why this monitor is so expensive, if someone knows please tell me.

The only alternatives with a simillar price are the Eizo S2410/CE240 but the have S-PVA panels. Some experts are not too happy with wide gamut displays like the NEC Spectraview reference and the Eizo CG221 WG. The video output is only 8 bit per colour channel, so the smallest colour change on a wide gamut display is significant larger then a sRGB panel. Also the NEC 2690WUXi is a close to wide gamut display (92% AdobeRGB) so it has more or less the same *disadvantage* as the other NEC and Eizo wide gamut displays.

I still hold off a bit, since there are no serious reviews available about the NEC2690 yet, I do like the Eizo's but they are pricy....but with 5 year guarantee, while NEC does *only* 3

I also think it is stupid that these professional displays (eiter nec or eizo) don't come with a 100% pixel guarantee, after all you are paying 50-100% more compared to a consumer display.

Back