NEC LCD2690

tightline

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 16, 2006
Messages
249
I'm not so sure the NEC LCD2690 is a IPS. The pictures don't look like one. Whites are washed out like a S-PVA and view angles are unsatisfactory like a S-PVA... take it apart my bet is Samsung LTA260W2 panel. I could be wrong and the photography is'nt showing it in all it's glory but I don't think so...Also NEC is using Samsung PVA as of late in lots of thier monitors.

As far as the 24WMGX2 and 22WMGX2.. this is indeed exciting news but not the 22WMGX2. It will probably use a crappy TN as LGP only announced a TN 22" no AS-IPS, You won't want that one.

Here are the new AS-IPS panels and the 22" TN annouced in July from LGP, supplementing thier excellent 20" found inside NEC LCD20WMGX2... all fast but the 22" is crappy TN..:(
LM300WQ1---30"WS---S-IPS--16.7 (8-Bit---2560 x 1600---8ms G2G---1000---300---178 / 178
LM260WU1---26"WS---S-IPS---16.7 (8-Bit) ---1920 x 1200---5ms G2G ---1000---500---178 / 178
LM240WU1---24"WS ---S-IPS---16.7 (8-Bit)---1920 x 1200---6ms G2G---800---500---178 / 178
LM220WE1---22"WS---TN Film---16.7 (8-Bit)---1680 x 1050---5ms ---1000---300---160 / 160

Souces:
http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/jsp/eng/prd/prd200_j_e.jsp
http://www.nona.dti.ne.jp/~d-space/column/lcdp.html
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/newscontent.htm

I await the 24" myself as my 30" dell is too friggin big and the 20" NEC WMGX2 is too small. The 24" on up will own all LCD's in thier size if the 20WMGX2 is any indication.

Again, LGP does'nt not and all indication will not produce a 22" AS-IPS so beware of that.
 

darklight_tr

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2006
Messages
249
Big Fat Duck said:
the black levels on that dont look too good

tightline said:
I'm not so sure the NEC LCD2690 is a IPS. The pictures don't look like one. Whites are washed out like a S-PVA and view angles are unsatisfactory like a S-PVA... take it apart my bet is Samsung LTA260W2 panel. I could be wrong and the photography is'nt showing it in all it's glory...

As far as the 24WMGX2 and 22WMGX2.. this is indeed exciting news but not the 22WMGX2. It will probably use a crappy TN as LGP only announced a TN 22" no AS-IPS, You won't want that one.

Here are the following new AS-IPS panels annouced in July from LGP, supplementing thier excellent 20" found inside NEC LCD20WMGX2 all fast but the 22" is crappy TN..:
LM300WQ1---30"WS---S-IPS--16.7 (8-Bit---2560 x 1600---8ms G2G---1000---300---178 / 178
LM260WU1---26"WS---S-IPS---16.7 (8-Bit) ---1920 x 1200---5ms G2G ---1000---500---178 / 178
LM240WU1---24"WS ---S-IPS---16.7 (8-Bit)---1920 x 1200---6ms G2G---800---500---178 / 178
LM220WE1---22"WS---TN Film---16.7 (8-Bit)---1680 x 1050---5ms ---1000---300---160 / 160

Souces:
http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/jsp/eng/prd/prd200_j_e.jsp
http://www.nona.dti.ne.jp/~d-space/column/lcdp.html
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/newscontent.htm

I await the 24" myself as my 30" dell is too friggin big and the 20" NEC WMGX2 is too small.

I am amazed at the snap judgements people make of something just by looking at a picture of it. Just human nature I guess.

It is impossible to judge a particular display just by looking at pictures of it. You have to see it for yourself. Any of things you mention could be due to factors completely unrelated to the display itself. travbomb did say that the camera washed out the pictures.

travbomb is a NEC employee, hence the NEC SAMPLE label on the back of the 2690 in the pictures. He has also stated that the 2690 will use the LM260WU1 S-IPS panel. The LM260WU1 is the only 26" production panel with the updated CCFL tubes with 92% color saturation, which is one of the key features of the 2690.

I don't even know if the Samsung LTA260W2 panel is even in production yet.
 

darklight_tr

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2006
Messages
249
tightline said:
Thanks, I read that whole thread and the NEC employee travbomb never idicates what panel is used inside NEC LCD2690.

Ok, here are better ones:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1072021&highlight=2690

Post #12 DVL73 mentions the LM260WU1.

Post #17 travbomb essentially confirms the LM260WU1 as the panel in the 2690, but you could say he doesn't defintively.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1078993&highlight=2690

Post #11 travbomb says the 2690 will use a LG.Philips S-IPS panel, which only could be the LM260WU1.

We could ask travbomb to confirm in this thread as well.
 

tightline

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 16, 2006
Messages
249
Indeed need travbomb to set record straight. Not that I'm buying a monitor w/o Opticlear anyway after falling in love with 20WMGX2 ...like the future 24WMGX2 maybe:) But it would be good to know what the LCD2060 has definitivly. Also I'd like some information on thier 22WmGX2 as TN move would be unacceptable for a company like NEC.
 

darklight_tr

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2006
Messages
249
tightline said:
The 12ms response he mentions does'nt match LGP's 24" LM240WU1 of 6ms.

He is the quoting the b-w-b response of the LM240WU1, which is 12ms. The g-to-g response of the LM240WU1 is 6ms.

tightline said:
Indeed need travbomb to set record straight. Not that I'm buying a monitor w/o Opticlear anyway after falling in love with 20WMGX2 ...like the future 24WMGX2 maybe:) But it would be good to know what the LCD2060 has definitivly. Also I'd like some information on thier 22WmGX2 as TN move would be unacceptable for a company like NEC.

If the specs hold true I don't think the 2690 will need Opticlear. :)

Unless LG.Philips releases a 24" S-IPS with 92% color saturation relatively quickly, the 24WMGX2 will only have the traditional 72% color saturation. Right now, I like the idea of 92% color saturation over Opticlear. Also, why buy a 24" when you can buy a 26"? ;)
 

tightline

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 16, 2006
Messages
249
darklight_tr said:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1072021&highlight=2690

Post #11 travbomb says the 2690 will use a LG.Philips S-IPS panel, which only could be the LM260WU1.

We could ask travbomb to confirm in this thread as well.
Post #11 is by DVL73 n00bie

I'm still confused and skeptical as to LCD2690 specs and panel. I will check back later and see travbomb's input... Thanks for all you help DarkLight
 

tightline

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 16, 2006
Messages
249
Unless LG.Philips releases a 24" S-IPS with 92% color saturation relatively quickly, the 24WMGX2 will only have the traditional 72% color saturation. Right now, I like the idea of 92% color saturation over Opticlear. Also, why buy a 24" when you can buy a 26"?

Thats another good question, What level of color satuation of the LM240WU1come with? Traditional 72%, or 92% like thier LM260WU1?

As far as why buy Opticlear to me it seems less grainy than traditional matte screens and has better contrast..

24" over 26" is an easy choice, dot pitch. 26" 1920 x 1200 is too high for my tastes.:)
 

darklight_tr

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2006
Messages
249
tightline said:
Thats another good question, What level of color satuation of the LM240WU1come with? Traditional 72%, or 92% like thier LM260WU1?

As far as why buy Opticlear to me it seems less grainy than traditional matte screens and has better contrast..

24" over 26" is an easy choice, dot pitch. 26" 1920 x 1200 is too high for my tastes.:)

The LM240WU1 has 72% color saturation, which really is too bad. :(

As for pixel pitch, the 2690 won't bother me at all, because it only has a pixel pitch of 0.2865. I currently use a 19" ViewSonic VP912b with a pixel pitch of 0.294, and I don't notice the screen door effect at all.
 

travbomb

Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
862
darklight_tr said:
The LM240WU1 has 72% color saturation, which really is too bad. :(

As for pixel pitch, the 2690 won't bother me at all, because it only has a pixel pitch of 0.2865. I currently use a 19" ViewSonic VP912b with a pixel pitch of 0.294, and I don't notice the screen door effect at all.

Sorry havn't had a chance to check the boards yet this weekend.

Yes the LCD2690 and 2490 both use the new LG-Phillips A-TW-IPS (S-IPS) panels.

The 2690 will be 92% of NTSC and 93.4% of the Abobe Gamut.
The 2490 will be 72% of NTSC

2690 gtg response will be 6.5 ms. Not sure what I posted it at before but I know LG specs it at 6 ms. We go back and remeasure the response after the whole monitor is assembled thats why it will be different than the panel spec sometimes.

Like I said before my camera does not do the colors justice on the 2690 it definitly washed it out a bit.

Just for the record their is only one 26 inch monitor grade panel on the market that I am aware of at the moment and this will be the first monitor to use it.

these will not have opticlear either. Both of these are part of the 90 series family. They will contain all of the features and ASIC's of the other 90 series products.

The 26 (not sure about he 24) will also have a backlight stability feature which none of our other monitors have. This allows you to lock in your luminance setting permanatly if you want. So if you like to work at 300 cd/m2 instead of the full brightness you can set this and when you turn the unit on and off it will always be at this and you wont have to wait for the bulb to warm up.

NEC does use the S-PVA panels in a few of our 90 series and one 70 series monitor but all of the 90 series have another version with S-IPS also.

Anyway any other questions feel free to ask.

PS - 22WMGX3 and 24WMGX3 shoudl be out in april. Not sure on panel type at this point but they will be opticlear and I am pretty sure the soundbar will be left off to help with cost.
 

tightline

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 16, 2006
Messages
249
woot

Thanks so much travbomb for the low down. I also appreciate NEC doesn't "exagerate" thier reponse times like so many other makers...

I'm totally NEC and IPS worshiper so I'll be purchasing the LCD2690 or 26WMGX2 dispite relativly high dot pitch:)...color trumps that minor issue.

Anything in the works on a 26" with opticlear... 26WMGX2 with LCD2690's panel?
 

SignalPST

n00b
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
40
hey travbomb, thanks for the updates on the LCD2690.
I was wondering though, the LM260WU1 panel used for the LCD2690 looks to be very promising with many good features as are with all the 90 series LCD's from NEC.

Do you think the engineers in Japan are going to take this panel and make a LED backlit version? I'm very impressed with the 21" LED backlit NEC LCD2180WG-LED, but i think it needs an update as the response rate, resolution, and contrast ratio on that monitor is not up to par with todays standards.
 

MrkXCeL

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
1,206
ohh crap ... ... ... ... ... d00l

Looks real good ... professional ... anyway, Having a 20WMGX2 couple months now I couldn't go back to a non gloss panel. For a sec I thought this was the 24 or 26 WMGX2 and nearly freaked out!

If only NEC would have a trade up program for the 24 or 26 when they're ready. I'd even take a (working) SAMPLE UNIT. L O L !
 

MrkXCeL

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
1,206
travbomb said:
PS - 22WMGX3 and 24WMGX3 shoudl be out in april. Not sure on panel type at this point but they will be opticlear and I am pretty sure the soundbar will be left off to help with cost.
Trevbomb, question ... will the GX3s' have the same input capabilities as the 20WMGX2 ?
 

joemama

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 13, 2000
Messages
9,576
EnderW said:
travbomb, do you know what the resolution on the 22WMGX3 will be?
And also if it will use an IPS panel instead of the TN like the current crop of 22" monitors? This could be my next monitor if the price isn't too outrageous and it has the glossy panel...I cannot stand using the fuzzy anti-glare monitors anymore.
 

travbomb

Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
862
EnderW said:
travbomb, do you know what the resolution on the 22WMGX3 will be?

22 inch panels only come in 1680x1050 so I would assume it will be that.

But until i know what panel it will use I cnat say and that pry wont be for a bit.
 

tightline

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 16, 2006
Messages
249
Travbomb sorry for asking again but anything in the works on a 26" with opticlear... like a "26WMGX2" with LCD2690's panel? Like many others, once you go opticlear you can't go back..:) Thanks again
 

fyseni

n00b
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
18
Hi travbomb, do you know if the 22W(M)GX3 euro-version (if there is one planned) will have HDCP support? Also is there any chance the 20WGX2 would be 'updated' with HDCP support in Europe? To be honest I would of bought the 20WGX2 if wasn't 'crippled' (compared to the US version), such a lovely screen otherwise. :-\
 

travbomb

Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
862
fyseni said:
Hi travbomb, do you know if the 22W(M)GX3 euro-version (if there is one planned) will have HDCP support? Also is there any chance the 20WGX2 would be 'updated' with HDCP support in Europe? To be honest I would of bought the 20WGX2 if wasn't 'crippled' (compared to the US version), such a lovely screen otherwise. :-\

Honestly I dont get any info about the European products. Sorry!
 

dclam

Weaksauce
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
85
Can you hook up a select few from the forums for an employee discount? Please? Paying rent in manhattan is hard enough without my urges to drop 1700 on the 26".
 

Ravynmagi

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
1,464
travbomb said:
Yes the LCD2690 and 2490 both use the new LG-Phillips A-TW-IPS (S-IPS) panels.

The 2690 will be 92% of NTSC and 93.4% of the Abobe Gamut.
The 2490 will be 72% of NTSC

I'm a bit of an LCD noob, so sorry if this sounds odd...

I'm assuming that 92% of NTSC means it has more accurate colors than the 72%. But if they are the same panel, why is there such a huge difference between the 24" and 26" versions?
 

travbomb

Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
862
Ravynmagi said:
I'm a bit of an LCD noob, so sorry if this sounds odd...

I'm assuming that 92% of NTSC means it has more accurate colors than the 72%. But if they are the same panel, why is there such a huge difference between the 24" and 26" versions?

They are the same type of panle but in the end totally different panels.

LG-Phillips - 26 and 30 inch are 92% and all the rest are 72%
 

tightline

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 16, 2006
Messages
249
dclam said:
Can you hook up a select few from the forums for an employee discount? Please? Paying rent in manhattan is hard enough without my urges to drop 1700 on the 26".

$1700 what's that like 2 weeks rent? :p

NEC isn't in the business of making bargain-basement monitors.. you want the best you got to pay best price.Not only using grade A panels but all the electronics inside are first rate.. With that said I'm sure MSRP and street will be sinifigantly different, usually 15% off.
 

xtknight

n00b
Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
50
Thanks a ton for all this info. If only other companies had people like that. :)

Do you know of any super CCFL (92%)/LED backlight monitors coming soon? Will NEC soon have affordable ones (less expensive without the advanced 90 series features)?
 

texastech

n00b
Joined
Oct 2, 2006
Messages
5
hi travbomb- you seem to know nec pretty good, do you know anything bout their tv in a box they r testing? also- is the new mfm line going to by SOG? or does anyone else know? thanks y'all.
 

travbomb

Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
862
texastech said:
hi travbomb- you seem to know nec pretty good, do you know anything bout their tv in a box they r testing? also- is the new mfm line going to by SOG? or does anyone else know? thanks y'all.

Couple of questions.

What does the TV in a box contain? an LCD or Plasma?

Also what is SOG?

Thanks
 

texastech

n00b
Joined
Oct 2, 2006
Messages
5
Oh sorry- I thought you worked for NEC, thought you might have known.

SOG - for reference is Sync On Green, and the TV in a box doesn't have to do with either- i heard some rumblings about it- that NEC was testing something- with just a tuner---hence----a TV in a BOX.
 

travbomb

Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
862
texastech said:
Oh sorry- I thought you worked for NEC, thought you might have known.

SOG - for reference is Sync On Green, and the TV in a box doesn't have to do with either- i heard some rumblings about it- that NEC was testing something- with just a tuner---hence----a TV in a BOX.



Yes the 2690 will sync on green.

I dont know that NEC makes "TV's" anymore outised of plasmas and LCD's.
 

samsung.204b

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 6, 2006
Messages
180
wow lcds are technology made by aliens. necs are technology made by gods!
looking at nec web site, i never seen such great tech. i wish i could afford a 20" nec with all this tech.!
 

Sanctuary

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
72
Again, LGP does'nt not and all indication will not produce a 22" AS-IPS so beware of that.
Hopefully this turns out inaccurate. I really wanted a 22" with the same specs and panel type as the 20". I found a 24" to be a little too big for gaming actually.
 

joemama

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 13, 2000
Messages
9,576
samsung.204b said:
wow lcds are technology made by aliens. necs are technology made by gods!
looking at nec web site, i never seen such great tech. i wish i could afford a 20" nec with all this tech.!
I know exactly what you mean...I was seconds away from blind ordering an NEC plasma from an e-tailer when I backed out and went with a Panasonic commercial from a local dealer. Looking at the specs and amount of user adjustability on even the consumer level plasma was a geek wet dream but the fact that no B&M actually had one for me to see in person killed that deal. Same with the NEC 20WMGX2....I couldn't find anyone local with stock when I was ready for a 20" ws so I went with an Acer F-20 that I had personally seen outfitted in a lawyers office in the same building where I work. I couldn't justify paying $200+ more for something I couldn't see in person. :(
 

_defiler_

n00b
Joined
Oct 2, 2006
Messages
3
Is "LCD2690WUXi-BK" the full part number that I should be eagerly scanning the net for?
First week of October.. I'm in the hunt for my 2690. :)
 

travbomb

Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
862
_defiler_ said:
Is "LCD2690WUXi-BK" the full part number that I should be eagerly scanning the net for?
First week of October.. I'm in the hunt for my 2690. :)

Yes that is the full part number to be searching for. There should be reviews on it soon.
 
Top