NEC LCD2690

RedRebel said:
My current IIyama 17" CRT has a pixel pitch of 0.25. The better LCD panels have about 0.27 but the 2690 is almost 0.29. On the other hand my current viewing distance between my eyes and monitor is about 18". When I buy a new LCD the viewing distance will be aprox 28" so the pixel pitch wll be less an issue. But I still don't like the idea of a 0.29 pixel pitch.
Why does a low pixel pitch tell you that this monitor is of lesser quality exactly? Have you compared monitors with different pixel pitches to draw conclusions as to it's usefulness in realteion to quality? or do you know someone who has? I would love to hear a detailed explanation to this.

artmonkey said:
Why does a low pixel pitch tell you that this monitor is of lesser quality exactly? Have you compared monitors with different pixel pitches to draw conclusions as to it's usefulness in realteion to quality? or do you know someone who has? I would love to hear a detailed explanation to this.

Pixel pitch doesnt really mean anything as far as quality goes with LCD's since it is just a ratio of screen size (24", 26") to the Resolution. So unless you up the resolution your pixel pitch will always increase as size increases.

travbomb said:
Pixel pitch doesnt really mean anything as far as quality goes with LCD's since it is just a ratio of screen size (24", 26") to the Resolution. So unless you up the resolution your pixel pitch will always increase as size increases.
:) It's ok, I knew that. I was just trying to make a point. I wish people wouldn't keep whining about pixel pitch and response times because they see a number and think it means everything :(

travbomb,

Could you answer my questions (above) about whether the 2490 will have the same specifications (1:1 pixel mapping, scaling over DVI, 1080p) as the 2690?

Also, I asked, in general does the 2490 have the same specifications as the 2690, other than the difference with the AdobeRGB?

Thanks.

cb474

travbomb said:

Yeah, naturally, but it is just like pixelation if you take it to the extremes. Better res. & a picture looks better (depending on the viewing distance). Now a .27 as to a .29 is not that much but it still degrades the picture to a small extent. I would rather the manufacturers up the res. as to the size of the panel. eg. The same amount of pixels per square inch based on a pixel pitch of the same as a 30" (near enough to a .25 pixel pitch).
I am not saying the quality of nec is bad just based on this as I really like nec products. I also like the samsung quality if you disregard that stupid 22" chimei/cmv new one :mad: I do a lot of work with photo/vidio editing & graphics design so I am very careful when choosing a monitor. Actually this nec 26" would be a very good size monitor in that it is in between a 24" & a 30" - perfect (if the size of the pixels were around .26 pitch). I said earlier, that I would like to change one of my present monitors to another 24" 26" or 30" but want to stay clear of dell. A 30" monitor with no OSD buttons & need a dell computer to give this function - no way.
cheers
forbidden,
Thanks for telling me about the new dell 30" having the same OSD thing. I was a bit interested but now it is off my list.

Well since everyone who is not interested in this monitor is intent on posting silly things about pixel pitch. I'd just like to say that's it seems like a great idea to put an HD resolution screen slightly bigger size and if this screen was available I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Since it's not and I'm monitorless at the moment I have to go with the lesser of two evil 24" screens... The "I don't know what the point of the HDMI is" BenQ

I really don't see what people are complaining about in the resolution of this fractionally larger screen, after all we're only talking about an inch and half more. Which is just going to benefit movie watching as far as I can see. I see no-one complaiing about the resolution in a 50" 1080p LCD. You can view those screens really close up and they look fantastic so before anyone mentions viewing distance just remember we're talking about a screen 1/4 the size. If you're really bothered about the resolution then get a 30", if that's too big then I'd say you winge too much and have no idea what you're talking about.

No need to insult anyone. This is highly subjective, based on vision quality and how close you like to sit. I find the 24" 1920x1200 kind of pixelated and would actually prefer a 23" or 22" in that resolution. 26" is totally out of the question for me.

Sure a big 50" 1080p screen is fine for a TV. But you don't sit 24" away from a 50" TV. I do sit 24" away from my monitors and I would prefer a .25 pitch to reduce pixelation.

YMMV

This is entirely my point, it is subjective and if you want a lower pixel pitch you have a ton of other options, hell you even have an identical panel to this in a 24" version, but this is not a post for the 24" version.

I suppose you could say that you like the bigger screen but just want more resolution with it but with that becomes problems with your graphics card, games, movies, cabling and last but certainly not least cost. I think this screen offers a great size/resolution with tons of nice features for a reasonable price.

Yer yer, no need to be upset, its a hardware discussion aint it ? its only a display for a PC, no big deal, unless material things matter to you more than anything else......

When can i buy it then? :eek:

cb474 said:
travbomb,

Could you answer my questions (above) about whether the 2490 will have the same specifications (1:1 pixel mapping, scaling over DVI, 1080p) as the 2690?

Also, I asked, in general does the 2490 have the same specifications as the 2690, other than the difference with the AdobeRGB?

Thanks.

cb474

Everything will be the same on the 2490 with the exception of the 92% NTSC coverage.

travbomb,

You've sold me on these monitors! My only question is when will they be avialable for purchase in the US? A rough estimate would be satisfactory.

yeah, i would like to know too. i'm planning on getting one as soon as it comes out in the US!!

Paragon54 said:
travbomb,

You've sold me on these monitors! My only question is when will they be avialable for purchase in the US? A rough estimate would be satisfactory.

...and when when will they be avialable for purchase in Europe?

umbolo said:
At the moment it's delayed until January 2007,but who knows...

I will be released at MacWorld in the First week of January. WIth product being available around the same time.

travbomb said:
I will be released at MacWorld in the First week of January. WIth product being available around the same time.
I will probably wait till January and see what reviews say and also what the price will be then...

thanks, travbomb. What about the SpectraView version of the 2690? Will it be released in January too or does it look more like February?

SignalPST said:
What about the SpectraView version of the 2690? Will it be released in January too or does it look more like February?
Are there two versions of 2690??

SignalPST said:
thanks, travbomb. What about the SpectraView version of the 2690? Will it be released in January too or does it look more like February?

Should be released very close to the same time if not the same. i believe the software is almost done being written.

The only difference between the two versions is that one has software for internal calibration and a colorimeter and teh other is just the monitor.

travbomb said:
The only difference between the two versions is that one has software for internal calibration and a colorimeter and teh other is just the monitor.
Ok, that makes sense. The other one comes with extras.

travbomb said:
This is a 1920x1200 monitor. In no way is it meant to be a TV.

12 bit LUT that is fully calibratable internally
ColorComp
4 year warranty
Overdirve

Just got the 24 inch version of it today. Will report back.

I'll just say that NEC 12-bit LUT is a godsend for B&W colorization. The NEC 2090UXi is the ONLY LCD monitor that *I* have found that can render the subtile color tones of a retouched B&W without rendering most of the colors I choose as grayscale!

BadDog said:
I'll just say that NEC 12-bit LUT is a godsend for B&W colorization. The NEC 2090UXi is the ONLY LCD monitor that *I* have found that can render the subtile color tones of a retouched B&W without rendering most of the colors I choose as grayscale!

how does it compare to a good CRT?

I decided to buy the Eizo S2410 panel instead of this NEC. NEC has delayed the relase of this monitor time after time and now it's again delayed until Januari.

The Eizo is an excellent monitor and easy to calibrate with my Monaco Optix XR. It also has a smaller dot pitch of 0.27 instead of the 0.29 of the NEC. My IIyama CRT that is replaced by this monitor has a dot pitch of 0.25. For photo editing I prefer the smallest possible dot pitch, because I already notice the difference between these two monitors at a viewing distance of about 25".

The Eizo S2410 is the low budget version of the Eizo CE240, it doesn't have calibratable LUT and it's not factory calibrated.

My copy is absolutly flawless. It has no pixel errors and a nice even illumination. The very small brightness shift (not color shift) is caused by the viewing angle when viewing the monitor at a too close distance.

Another thing is that there are only a few shops over here (Holland) that sell NEC and none of them gives a 100% pixel warranty. Eizo also gives 5 year full waranty incl backlight. This seems country dependend.

just my 0.02ct

Yo thanks for that redrebel, i might do some more research on the eizo, im getting sick of waiting for LCD's to be released, like the 245T and 2690. If you get time maybe you could do a review with pics of your new beastly display :D

They use NEC 90 series in stargate atlantis lol, dang they look sweet too, but the Motion tablet PC's used are the funk bomb of all time IMO. I love SGA :cool: I WANT A MOTION TABLET PC!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

well I will still wait for maybe new Benq 24" Z casue this Eizo has TN panel :(

Eizo's top of the line ColorEdge models have S-IPS panels. And boy oh boy are they pricey.

Eizo has a new model S2411W comes with 3000:1 contrast ratio and 2 HDCP DVI-D/I connections... about USD200 cheaper than S2410

Better and cheaper :eek: sounds good to me, its not up on the eizo site yet, could be another option for me tho, thanks :D

Forbidden said:
Better and cheaper :eek: sounds good to me, its not up on the eizo site yet, could be another option for me tho, thanks :D

I would definitely recommend NEC display over Eizo. Although Eizo Color Edge line is good, top of the line NECs are even better.

I agree, but i am becoming impatient :D i want a 2690 for xmas :D but i am considering buying a sammy 215tw to use till the 2690 comes out, the chimei junk i use at moment burns my eyes out of their sockets after long periods of use, i need a solution fast :p HALP!
215tw input lag argh scarey....

I wouldn't get the Eizo. I tried the Eizo CE240W. It has the same lag the Dell 2405FPW has and the same poor viewing angle due to the PVA panel. The strange thing is the viewing angle was slightly worse on the left side, which was evident in images with lots of shadow detail. It also has strong color trails due to the poorly-implemented overdrive. The software to do the internal color calibration only measured the brightest colors, so it was still not perfectly accurate, and even then, what good is it if the contrast changes when you move your head slightly? I will mention one good thing; it had no backlight bleeding.

This is why I'm looking forward to the new NEC monitors. They seem like everything the Eizo should have been.

I am using the Eizo S2410 for photo editing and if this monitor is used at a normal viewing distance, the image quality is very very good and the viewing angle is not an issue, especialy if you are an amature photographer.

For some reason NEC in Holland is not interested in the consumer market, since their monitors are not well available and the few shops selling them ask $100 and more for a pixel waranty.

If you are in the market for a high end photo graphic monitor, I would wait another few months until Windows Vista becomes available. Vista will support over 8 bit RGB output, which is a huge step forward when speaking about color acuracy and wide gamut displays. Until now there is only one monitor and one video card that has 10 bit DVI and wide gamut (NEC Spectraview reference and ATI Fire GL video card). I expect more wide gamut monitors (LED backlight) to become available and also the support of 10 bit DVI for much better color accuracy.

Back