NEC LCD2690

kenpas said:
Eizo's top of the line ColorEdge models have S-IPS panels. And boy oh boy are they pricey.

Eizo's are just repackaged NEC series 90 monitors. Anyone who forks over the kind of money Eizo asks for has some major brain damage.

BadDog said:
Eizo's are just repackaged NEC series 90 monitors. Anyone who forks over the kind of money Eizo asks for has some major brain damage.

Eizo is not a repackaged NEC.

I think you are referring to Lacie's which are repackaged NEC's. The Lacies are OEM'd from NEC.

I dont understand the much hihger cost of many Eizo's since they generally use PVA's instead of IPS.

travbomb said:
I dont understand the much hihger cost of many Eizo's since they generally use PVA's instead of IPS.

I think the answer is rather simple - Eizo use to produce quality CRT monitors, and lot of DTP / prepress / image editing etc. people used them. Now those same people are looking for LCD monitors, since there're no more quality CRTs, and they go with Eizo, believing that those LCD must be right thing for them, especially at that high price. I know several people that follow that logic, and they don't want to hear about any other displays. Since people are buying those displays, Eizo can keep the price (of course, that's not all there is to those high prices, but still...).

I've heard numerous accounts of problems with higher end Eizo's (Color Edge series) from people who use them in professional color-critical workflow, especially about 24" one.

ASIA911 said:
Sorry I can't totally comment that since I don't have first hand on the Benq or the Nec. I've only use the Acer AL2423wr, Viewsonic Vp211B and the Viewsonic VG2021M. The Acer is by far the best one compare to the other two.

Can you tell us what panel the AL2423WR uses?

umbolo said:
I've heard numerous accounts of problems with higher end Eizo's (Color Edge series) from people who use them in professional color-critical workflow, especially about 24" one.

The only two problems I have heard off -and I have read lots of reviews- is that some early models of the CE240 had a slight uneven illumination on the left side of the screen. This problem is already solved months ago. The second thing is that the Eizo CE210, CE240, S2110 and S2410 use S-PVA panels which don't have the same (close to perfect) viewing angle behavior as S-IPS panels. S-IPS panels are only used in Eizo's CG panels. I also heard from some one that clams that his CE210 wouldn't calibrate wel. After some investigation he discovered that his videocard still used the calibration data from his previous monitor, while his Eizo CE210 was perfectly hardware calibrated from factory and also calibrated well using the Eizo software and hardware calibration.

The NEC2690 already has a stunning reputation, but unfortunatly no one is using it because it's still not availabe (after about six months of rumours). Building large monitors using 24" panels and larger is difficult since the slightest illumination problem will become visable, same is true for viewing angle problems especialy when the monitor is used at a to close viewing distance.

Cool thanks, i noticed you can turn HDCP on and off! YAY!

No swivel function on the stand is a bit disapointing, but not the end of the world :p

Nothing mentioned about opticlear coating, personally id perffer it without it :cool:

ITS KIKASS IMO :D

Forbidden said:
Cool thanks, i noticed you can turn HDCP on and off! YAY!

No swivel function on the stand is a bit disapointing, but not the end of the world :p

Nothing mentioned about opticlear coating, personally id perffer it without it :cool:

ITS KIKASS IMO :D

It does have swivel function on it. It is listed on page 6 of the manual and the one I used definately had it too.

It does not have Opticlear. Only the GX product has this. This is part of the 90 Series products.

This monitor looks ace, I got a free CRT from work so I can wait for this screen to come out. I'm glad I don't have to settle for something else in the mean time now =).

It's a minor thing but... I don't like the idea of a 'D-SUB to DVI-A' cable. I guess it's better than nothing but I would have prefered a 'D-SUB to D-SUB' cable as then it wouldn't have to take up a valuable DVI socket when using an analogue signal.

travbomb: I have a couple of questions if you have the time...

I'm not sure why you have the ability to turn off the HDCP or why it says in the manual that you should turn it off to connect a computer to DVI. Does the monitor not support HDCP graphics cards or VISTA?

I assume that since interlaced signals (480i, 576i, 1080i) are not supported ,which I have no problem with, that it will support all the progressive (480p, 576p, 720p and 1080p) video sizes? If so does it have the option to upscale the lower sizes to fill the screen while remaining in the correct ratio?

artmonkey said:
This monitor looks ace, I got a free CRT from work so I can wait for this screen to come out. I'm glad I don't have to settle for something else in the mean time now =).

It's a minor thing but... I don't like the idea of a 'D-SUB to DVI-A' cable. I guess it's better than nothing but I would have prefered a 'D-SUB to D-SUB' cable as then it wouldn't have to take up a valuable DVI socket when using an analogue signal.

travbomb: I have a couple of questions if you have the time...

I'm not sure why you have the ability to turn off the HDCP or why it says in the manual that you should turn it off to connect a computer to DVI. Does the monitor not support HDCP graphics cards or VISTA?

I assume that since interlaced signals (480i, 576i, 1080i) are not supported ,which I have no problem with, that it will support all the progressive (480p, 576p, 720p and 1080p) video sizes? If so does it have the option to upscale the lower sizes to fill the screen while remaining in the correct ratio?

I ma pretty sure the US version will ship with 3 cables. VGA to VGA, VGA to DVI-I, and DVI-D to DVI-D

You can turn HDCP off so the monitor will work with legacy video cards that dont support it.

You can upscale resolutions but they will either expand to fill the screen or if you turn expansion off they will scale up but wont will the screen.

Travbomb, thanks for all the info on the 2690 so far.

I'm looking to replace my aging 24" CRT monitor with an LCD, and the 2690 pretty much sounds like it will fit the bill nicely. However, I'm quite allergic to input lag so I'm really interested in hearing if anybody knows what kind of lag the 2690 will have. I tried the samsung 244T with its 60-65ms lag, and it made me feel pretty much well hungover when using it in normal windows applications.

I know that S-IPS panels often have lower input lag like the 25-30ms lag of the Dell 30" monitor, but I would love it if the 2690 had an even lower input lag, even if it would require me to turn off the overdrive option.

Anybody have any thoughts or knowledge on the matter?

I don't like the results they got in the lag test. Why does it have so much lag? If it really does have that much lag, it will bother me. I thought it'd be as good as the 20WMGX2, which is what I'm using now.

Edit: For those wondering where the results are, choose "Retard d'affichage comparé à un CRT" under "Etape 3:" from the above link.

It was kind of disheartening to view those input lag results. It would however be interesting to see if switching the overdrive off and on influences the amount of input lag.

Still, I really wonder what specimen of the MultiSync LCD2690WUXi they've used in France for those tests.

NEC-Mitsubishi themselves give entirely different 'lag' specs for their new screen (which isn't even available yet, according to them!).
The BeNeLux site tells us: http://www.nec-display-solutions.nl...cation,spec=x__be__nl,docId=211754,group=ProD
Reactietijd (typ.) [ms] 7 (grijs-naar-grijs); 13 (7 wit / zwart; 6 zwart / wit)

which, translated, means:

Response-time (typical) [ms] 7 (gr-to-gr); 13 (7 white-black; 6 black-white).

So I'm sorry, I really can't imagine it getting the input lag that this french site measured on it. Also, remember that NEC in Europe is a german based product, and as with Volkswagen the french tend to not judge in favor of those brands very often, so I just don't know if we should entirely trust that site.. :(

It seems in general, the higher the resolution, the greater the Lag. The lag is greater because more processing is required to display all those extra pixels. When chips get faster, the lag should improve a bit hopefully. From behardware, the lowest lag is with the vx922 19in lcd.

The racing car response time/image for the 26in, from the site above, is disappointing. I was expecting an improvement over the 20wgx.

WickedWeasel said:
It seems in general, the higher the resolution, the greater the Lag. The lag is greater because more processing is required to display all those extra pixels. When chips get faster, the lag should improve a bit hopefully.
As far as I know it's not so much related to chipspeed. It has more to do with the quality of the actual pixels themselves (their capability to turn on and off really fast). One could argue if the pixel is directly driven by a 'chip', they are still just transistors.

WickedWeasel said:
The racing car response time/image for the 26in, from the site above, is disappointing. I was expecting an improvement over the 20wgx.
Look at the second one "Rendu jeu, au pire", I'd rather have the 2690 there.

What about the results under Rendu des couleurs après calibration? Bad calibration or is MultiSync 20WGX better?

1moRipple

1moRipple said:
What about the results under Rendu des couleurs après calibration? Bad calibration or is MultiSync 20WGX better?

1moRipple

My guess is the results came out that way since they didnt use the spectraview software. If they were using Lacie's software they were calibrating the video card rather than the internal LUT. I can garuntee if they used the spectraview software the delta E's woulda been lower on the 26 than the 20.

Speaking of SpectraView, will the version that comes with SpectraView be offered with silver color? Because I notice that most of the SV versions that NEC sells only come with black color. I know for sure though that the regular 2690 without SpectraView will come out with both black color version and silver color versions. I'm really hoping they will offer the silver version with SV so it will match my aluminum Silverstone case!

SignalPST said:
Speaking of SpectraView, will the version that comes with SpectraView be offered with silver color? Because I notice that most of the SV versions that NEC sells only come with black color. I know for sure though that the regular 2690 without SpectraView will come out with both black color version and silver color versions. I'm really hoping they will offer the silver version with SV so it will match my aluminum Silverstone case!

Actually there is only black versions of the 2490 and 2690. Not silver color.

IN the case of the other 90 series which come in white you cuold just buy the puck and software seperate if you wanted it with the white model.

But that is irrelevent cause like I said these new units only come in black.

Trav, When are is 2690 comming out! is still beguining of january ? i try to get a date from the canadian side but my computer store told me that the rep of Nec as No Info at the moment? Do you know if the price of 2190 will be rivised when the 2690 is out? if so any info on price tags! Many thanks.

zoggdart said:
Trav, When are is 2690 comming out! is still beguining of january ? i try to get a date from the canadian side but my computer store told me that the rep of Nec as No Info at the moment? Do you know if the price of 2190 will be rivised when the 2690 is out? if so any info on price tags! Many thanks.

The product will be announced at MacWorld which is right around january 8th or so. We will have product about 2 weeks after that. I should have a firm date at teh beginning of January.

Actually there is only black versions of the 2490 and 2690. Not silver color.

IN the case of the other 90 series which come in white you cuold just buy the puck and software seperate if you wanted it with the white model.

But that is irrelevent cause like I said these new units only come in black.

thanks travbomb for clearing that up for us :)

To what extent is NEC image quality the result of the reflective coating? I browsed monitors at Best Buy today and thought the images on the NEC 17 and 19" monitors on display were quite noticeably better than on the surrounding Samsung, LG and Gateway monitors. But I also thought the reflective coating could be annoying, and I would find it difficult to arrange indirect lighting. TFT Central's story about the October NEC press event had this to say about the 2690: "Next to the OptiClear coated 20WGX2 Pro however, the colours were not as vibrant." Can someone with experience of both coated and uncoated NEC LCDs comment? Thanks.

rsatx said:
To what extent is NEC image quality the result of the reflective coating? I browsed monitors at best Nut today and thought the images on the NEC 17 and 19" monitors on display were quite noticeably better than on the surrounding Samsung, LG and Gateway monitors. But I also thought the reflective coating could be annoying, and I would find it difficult to arrange indirect lighting. TFT Central's story about the October NEC press event had this to say about the 2690: "Next to the OptiClear coated 20WGX2 Pro however, the colours were not as vibrant." Can someone with experience of both coated and uncoated NEC LCDs comment? Thanks.

the reflective coating can often help improve the vibrancy and "feel" of the colours and make them look brighter and stand out more. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they are accurate. It's quite common for modern TFT's aimed at the consumer market to offer vibrant and bright colours out of the box since that is what a lot of users want from their screens for normal use. You may well find that if you calibrated one of these screens properly, the vibrancy is lower, but colour accuracy is greatly improved. This is obviously important if you use the screen for colour critical work. Comparing a glossy screen next to a normal AR-coated "matt" screen you can see a little difference in the image quality. The AR coating on most screens can sometimes dull the colours a little, but the glossy screen makes them stand out more. It's a little hard to explain really, its as you've seen in the shop really. However, the NEC LCD2690WUXi is aimed more at the graphics designers / corporate market and so colour accuracy is more important there than vibrancy and overly cartoony and bright colour rendering. It's H-IPS panel and A-TW Polorizer should offer some very good colour rendering.

Anyone have an opinion how close you can sit to the 2690 without seeing screen door effect? I normally sit between 22" and 24" away from the screen.

rsatx said:
To what extent is NEC image quality the result of the reflective coating? I browsed monitors at Best Buy today and thought the images on the NEC 17 and 19" monitors on display were quite noticeably better than on the surrounding Samsung, LG and Gateway monitors. But I also thought the reflective coating could be annoying, and I would find it difficult to arrange indirect lighting. TFT Central's story about the October NEC press event had this to say about the 2690: "Next to the OptiClear coated 20WGX2 Pro however, the colours were not as vibrant." Can someone with experience of both coated and uncoated NEC LCDs comment? Thanks.

Just to chime in on the reflective coating. I had a 17" Sony Xbrite lcd which had that shiney screen. It was a nightmare. You could see everything behind you. Not sure if the nec is bad but I'd never buy a monitor with any type of glossy screen again.

interpolator said:
Are you sure about the monitor being only 25.5 inches. That is highly misleading to call it a 27 inch unit. At 25.5 it really is not much bigger than the Dell 24 inch unit.

Actually, this is a 26" monitor, not a 27".

Tyr-Sog said:
Just to chime in on the reflective coating. I had a 17" Sony Xbrite lcd which had that shiney screen. It was a nightmare. You could see everything behind you. Not sure if the nec is bad but I'd never buy a monitor with any type of glossy screen again.

Then you will miss out on the most jaw-droppingly beautiful displays ever invented. You could have turned the room lights down or off, you know. Gloss is king. King Gloss.

Any update on when the 26 will be available? I can hold out unti end of January but not much longer!

Actually, this is a 26" monitor, not a 27".

It is a 25.5" as listed in all the specs, I guess it was easier to state 26 in the model number as decimal points look stupid.

cb474 said:
Wait, so the 2490 and 2690 will have a glossy screen coating?

To save Travbomb coming back again to answer this... No, neither of these screens have a glossy coating although there will be a 24WMGX2 which obviously will have. I got this info from this thread btw. Apparently due out in April, which is also stated in this thread.

Back