NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi

it's the same panel, just LG.Display have slightly different revisions which is where the "SLA1" comes in. Thats the exact rev used in the EA231WMi, but the Viewsonic has an unconfirmed revision, not that it matters much really, it's just for completeness :)
Ok, that was basically what I was thinking.

For me the contrast level of this screen is way too low. I appreciate the benefits of an (x)IPS screen but the contrast level and particularly the weak, muddy blacks make me really disappointed in this screen. I

bought it on the advice of this forum but I can't say this purchase is something I'm really excited by. I may keep this monitor but only because my other screen will be a PVA. I will use the NEC for editing my photos and the PVA screen (a Samsung) for just about everything else. I guess for some people color accuracy at different angles may be really important. For me however, the contrast ratio and especially the black level is far more critical to my experience. Now I wish I had bought two PVA screens instead but I guess it's just one of those things...

The reason I'm posting here is to warn others that you may not find this monitor as awesome as others make it out to be. Display quality is a _very_ subjective thing. If something really bothers you about your screen you will not be able to easily look past it, trust me. Only buy the NEC if you don't care too much about your blacks being really black. Notice that this will affect your text readability (which is mostly black on white background) especially if you use ClearType on your screen. If you do your text will literally look light grey!

Oh, well, live and learn, I guess.

For me the contrast level of this screen is way too low. I appreciate the benefits of an (x)IPS screen but the contrast level and particularly the weak, muddy blacks make me really disappointed in this screen.
I don't yet own this monitor, but based on what I've read, I think it's very likely your unit is defective. You should consider exchanging it.

I don't yet own this monitor, but based on what I've read, I think it's very likely your unit is defective. You should consider exchanging it.

I'm pretty certain it is not defective. It behaves very similarly to the Dell 2000FP which it replaced and identically to another example of the 231WMi which my friend ordered at the same time.

I was never really enamored with my 2000FP and I don't like this NEC screen either. Another friend has an old *VA panel (Dell 1702FP) and I just like that screen much more than any *IPS monitor I have seen to date.

When I ordered this NEC I hoped the *IPS technology would have improved greatly since the days of my venerable 2000FP. Alas, the same problems (muddy, greyish black levels, poor contrast) are every bit as evident as they were nine years ago.

It would take no more than two minutes to look at the Prad or TFTCentral review and find out that this model has a sub-1K contrast ratio.

I've measured at least a 1000:1 static contrast ratio on my monitor when calibrated. That's pretty damn good to me, all things considered...

abraxas , have you done any form of calibration of measurements of the black depths you are getting?

Badd,
I haven't calibrated anything it's just my subjective sense. I played with the brightness and contrast settings though but never found a combination that would satisfy me. It's so bad in fact, that I think I prefer the look of my TN-film screen I bought for office work.

It's so bad in fact, that I think I prefer the look of my TN-film screen I bought for office work.

Now you aren't making sense to me. Recent VA models like (except C-PVA offerings) the P221W and 2408WFP achieve 1000:1-1150:1 contrast ratio. Current TN models too, achieve a value of around ~850:1, despite the fact that they cannot display a whole screen of this value.

The EA231WMi does say, 850:1-900:1 across its field, assuming you are sitting give or take a meter distance if the 2209WA can be judged in substitution, which by the way is too close for standard definition material.

It can't be qualified to say that the EA231 has "muddy, greyish black levels, poor contrast" if at 140cd/m2 brightness it achieves 0.14cd/m2 relative to the 0.12cd/m2 of an S-PVA coeval. Care to clarify on this point?

Last edited:
Has anyone else ordered their monitor from Provantage lately? I ordered mine the day after Christmas and it still hasn't shipped out yet. They also won't pick up their phones...

Ordered mine the day after Xmas and received it on New years eve. I'd get a hold of them.

I'm pretty certain it is not defective. It behaves very similarly to the Dell 2000FP which it replaced and identically to another example of the 231WMi which my friend ordered at the same time.

I was never really enamored with my 2000FP and I don't like this NEC screen either. Another friend has an old *VA panel (Dell 1702FP) and I just like that screen much more than any *IPS monitor I have seen to date.

The 1702 was made in 2002 and has significantly less contrast than the EA231. Its specs indicate contrast at 500.

I don't know what you are seeing but it isn't contrast unless you seriously messed up the calibration.

I will use the NEC for editing my photos and the PVA screen (a Samsung) for just about everything else. .....

There's a whole lot of talk from you about "low contrast levels." And from reading everyone else's replies, and as a previous owner of this monitor, I must say I'm skeptical. But be that as it may, what I'd like to know is: if you plan on keeping this and using it for EDITING PHOTOS, how did you neglect to mention the color uniformity issues currently plaguing this monitor? Look at an all white or light gray background and let us know if you notice a blue/pink'ish tint on the left, w/ a green/red'ish tint on the right.

I've measured at least a 1000:1 static contrast ratio on my monitor when calibrated. That's pretty damn good to me, all things considered...

How did you achieve this ratio? The best I have gotten is 913:1 which is something very similar to TFTcentral's findings.

913:1 is v. good for an IPS but I guess it still can't live up to everybody's expectations for high contrast.

Maybe abraxas was referring to the IPS glow that causes blacks to appear off(I have notices this too)?

I was calibrating with basICColor Display. To be fair, I've gotten results as high as 1200:1, but nothing lower than 900:1. At such low black levels (0.1 - 0.15 cd/m2 according to the program) getting an accurate measurement with my Eye One Display 2 isn't a precise science, and I don't really consider that 1200:1 number to be the most accurate figure I've got, but my monitor is certainly performing no worse than 900:1 and my current profile achieves ~1000:1 fairly consistently. I find it's best to calibrate with the highest RGB values you can while maintaining 6500K (or whatever color temp you want), rather than just find any range that achieves a correct white balance. This allows you to use a lower brightness setting to reach your desired luminane and thus achieve maximum contrast.

These are my settings:

Eco Mode: Off
Brightness: 38%
Contrast: 50%
DV Mode: Standard
Red: 96.4%
Green: 94.3%
Blue: 100%

My target luminance is 120 cd/m2 and 6500K for color temp. I just let basICColor calibrate to the lowest black level that it measures.

Thanks to the advice in this forum i have bought this monitor.

I am thinking of buying the New Dell Zino HD HTPC however it only has a HDMI slot, would i be better off plugging the Zino into the displayport or DVI?

Also the only way to get HD sound from the Zino is over the HDMI, so I would need a 3 cable which plugs into my surround sound too?

Can anybody suggest a cable?

DVI and a simple audio cable is your best bet so you won't have to use an HDMI/DVI adapter. Although the monitor supports DP sound, I have yet to see a card mfg build a DP card w/ sound driver into their cards yet. The new ATI's have DP but sound is not yet supported in their drivers and wouldn't count on it for some time.

Last edited:
So I just ordered mine on ProVantage. You think I will be disappointed when I set it up next to my 21.5" Gateway FPD2185W S-PVA? I am VERY happy with the picture on that display but I wanted an upgrade in resolution and the IPS factor intrigued me.

DVI and a simple audio cable is your best bet so you won't have to use an HDMI/DVI adapter.

If i do

Zino HD HDMI ---> DVI NEC EA231WMI

and audio cable from Zino HD to Sound system i will not get HD 5.1 sound, as the 5.1 sound is only available through the HDMI on the Zino HD.

Last edited:
If i do

Zino HD HDMI ---> DVI NEC EA231WMI

and audio cable from Zino HD to Sound system i will not get HD 5.1 sound, as the 5.1 sound is only available through the HDMI on the Zino HD.

I assumed you were thinking about sending sound to the NEC monitor since that's the topic of the thread. The NEC only has stereo, of course.

I'm guessing you want video to the NEC and 5.1 sound separately? I looked at the Zino specs and looks like they are really limited on their video outputs and I'm kind of shocked to see only 1 hdmi and 1 vga. If 5.1 is truly only avail via HDMI, that's something to think about. I guess maybe a splitter could work, but never tried that before w/hdmi. That might require research as I heard bad stories about HDMI splitters that aren't powered (and expensive). The other choice is the line out+VGA to the NEC and HDMI to your sound system, with the obvious drawbacks.

Last edited:
ty for help

Dam zino HD nearly perfect for my needs, if only it had a Displayport too.

Just ordered mine from Provantage for $295.00 + shipping. It was too tempting to resist at that price.

It's a good thing I didn't see this thread before I'd ordered, or I might have convinced myself to wait another 6 months:

New HP LED-backlit monitors announced.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1484004

I've been happy with my Samsung 193P for many years, but it's time to move on to something bigger.

About NEC EA231WMi, I'd like to know if it's possible to connect two(or three) sources (like 2 PCs) at the same time, switching between them while they are running.
For example I can connect one PC to the DVI port, and the other to the VGA (or the DisplayPort using a DisplayPort-DVI adaptor); is this possible?

About NEC EA231WMi, I'd like to know if it's possible to connect two(or three) sources (like 2 PCs) at the same time, switching between them while they are running.
For example I can connect one PC to the DVI port, and the other to the VGA (or the DisplayPort using a DisplayPort-DVI adaptor); is this possible?

I see no reason why this isn't possible. If its a feature you truly are interested, you should look into the new PA series (forthcoming) which will let you do this and create a picture-in-picture via the inputs.

Just ordered mine from Provantage for $295.00 + shipping. It was too tempting to resist at that price.

It's a good thing I didn't see this thread before I'd ordered, or I might have convinced myself to wait another 6 months:

New HP LED-backlit monitors announced.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1484004

I've been happy with my Samsung 193P for many years, but it's time to move on to something bigger.

That's a great price!

I wouldn't worry as the HP LED backlit units do not feature an IPS panel like the NEC.

Ya, you just hit the input button and it changes...

sippm: The 24" HP is an IPS screen.

edit - Although that one might not be LED backlit?

Good!
You mean the "select" button? (I don't see the "input" button in the front photos)
Every input maintain custom presets(color/brightness settings)?

You can switch between inputs on any monitor with more than one input...

I don't think you can have custom presets for each input, though.

Good!
You mean the "select" button? (I don't see the "input" button in the front photos)
Every input maintain custom presets(color/brightness settings)?
Correct, the Select button changes inputs on the NEC.

I believe you can have individual image settings for each input, but right now I'm only running on the DVI input.

Personally I don't trust that blog which is likely just a repost of someone not reading the original PR carefully. At this point the only official source we have is the HP press release, and they coyly dodge any mention of IPS panels for the LED backlit ones, but are quick to tout the CCFL's as IPS panels. That said they are S-IPS and not E-IPS and probably better on PQ, for what is worth.

I ordered (3) of these monitors from Amazon for $329 ea. and chose FREE super saver shipping (5-7 day) option on Tuesday 1/4

Expected Ship date was listed as 1/12 and to my surprise I received a UPS delivery notification via e-mail that they were delivered to my office TODAY -1/5!!!!! (1 day turn around)

Great service from AMAZON!

I decided to go for a 3 monitor setup after seeing an in store display of the Ergotech Triple screen arm at my local Fry's (purchased for $269) - will be using for Forza 3 setup at first and later PC once I get a new ATI video card. ;)

Hey guys, what's the AG coating like on this display? Is it grainy/dirty like the 2209wa, or clearer? Thanks.

Darn, if I had waited I would've saved around $50 buying from Provantage...

What shipping method does Sparco use? I expected it to arrive yesterday since it shipped out of the TX warehouse (I live in the same state), but Sparco didn't mention any tracking numbers. I ordered two things from them so they both left from warehouses in TX and PA.

Personally I don't trust that blog which is likely just a repost of someone not reading the original PR carefully. At this point the only official source we have is the HP press release, and they coyly dodge any mention of IPS panels for the LED backlit ones, but are quick to tout the CCFL's as IPS panels. That said they are S-IPS and not E-IPS and probably better on PQ, for what is worth.

Well, TFTCentral also says they will be IPS and claims their source to be HP.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/19.htm#hp_zr24w

Actually even the press release sayst that ZR serie has IPS, and ZR serie should be the led backlit ones too. Read it carefully.
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2010/100106xa.html

Last edited:
yep, from HP press release

HP also introduced the HP ZR22w and HP ZR24w Performance Displays, which offer exceptional visual performance for demanding visual computing. Ideal for use with HP Z Workstations, these Performance Series displays are available in 21.5-inch diagonal and 24-inch diagonal sizes and offer IPS Panel technology, with 96 percent coverage of the sRGB gamut and 16.7 million colors at affordable prices. The HP ZR22w is ENERGY STAR 5.0 qualified and both displays feature an eight-way comfort-adjust stand.

Darn, if I had waited I would've saved around $50 buying from Provantage...

What shipping method does Sparco use? I expected it to arrive yesterday since it shipped out of the TX warehouse (I live in the same state), but Sparco didn't mention any tracking numbers. I ordered two things from them so they both left from warehouses in TX and PA.

I know how you feel. I paid 360 for mine. I got it from Sparco and they sent it fedex. If you login to your account then pull up the invoice a tracking number should be listed. At least it is for me.

There is no statement made by HP that the IPS 22 & 24" inchers are LED backlit. Blogs (who are just summarizing the PRs) are likely jumping the gun. I would imagine that if they are in fact, it would have been touted by HP. Anyhow, time will tell and there's a different thread on the HPs.

There is no statement made by HP that the IPS 22 & 24" inchers are LED backlit. Blogs (who are just summarizing the PRs) are likely jumping the gun. I would imagine that if they are in fact, it would have been touted by HP. Anyhow, time will tell and there's a different thread on the HPs.

Hmmm... You are correct. HP Press release does mention LED monitors in the press release, but not in the same sentences as ZR serie. Instead they talk about LED backlit laptops and some other monitors etc...

Back