NCASE M1 version changelog and suggestions thread

I'd like to see a instruction manual include with the case as most computer case come with one but they have very little info to help the consumer I think this could be the start of change even if we make unofficial manual available as a download that be great

That would be nice and I think that's something even a member on here could do themselves. Probably half the manual could be copy/paste from info on here and the official website.

IMO if Lian Li even charges an extra $1 to include it, I rather not see that increase the cost of new revisions of the case and rather have it in download format.

Who ever reads the manual? :p

But seriously, I've thought about it, I've just never gotten around to it. It's kind of a whole project into itself. I do realize that it's something we should probably have if we want it to be on the level of a more professional, commercial product, and not just this niche thing that only appeals to a small group of enthusiasts and hobbyists.

What kind of things would you want to see included in the manual? These are some of the things I've thought of:

• How to remove the panels (it's not very apparent to people who've never encountered this type of toolless panel design before)
  • What all the screws are for
  • How to install the drives (again, not necessarily apparent)
  • The possible drive and fan combinations
  • Swapping the AC inlet and model ID plate for additional radiator clearance
  • Specs and component size restrictions

Some of this stuff is already on the website, in the FAQ and on the compatibility page, but having it in organized into a proper manual would be useful.

Any other suggestions for things that need covering?

Who ever reads the manual? :p

But seriously, I've thought about it, I've just never gotten around to it. It's kind of a whole project into itself. I do realize that it's something we should probably have if we want it to be on the level of a more professional, commercial product, and not just this niche thing that only appeals to a small group of enthusiasts and hobbyists.

What kind of things would you want to see included in the manual? These are some of the things I've thought of:

• How to remove the panels (it's not very apparent to people who've never encountered this type of toolless panel design before)
  • What all the screws are for
  • How to install the drives (again, not necessarily apparent)
  • The possible drive and fan combinations
  • Swapping the AC inlet and model ID plate for additional radiator clearance
  • Specs and component size restrictions

Some of this stuff is already on the website, in the FAQ and on the compatibility page, but having it in organized into a proper manual would be useful.

Any other suggestions for things that need covering?

That exactly that stuff I was wondering about for one even if it's just a nice pdf that be good

The two things I'd really wan to see in a manual above all others are:
- The list of screws and their sizes (already available as an image in the main Ncase thread)
- A (preferably visual) mapping of which screws are used for which fixtures. This is kind of folded into the screw description image as text.

It's hard to actually damage anything by putting a bracket in the wrong place, but trying to insert the wrong screw can permanently damage the thread in a hole.

I would also like to see in the instruction manual is warranty info and not sure if you cover this allready but the cpu heatsink and fan requirements ie size. And also something about cd/dvd driver on the how they to install then I'm just trying to think so this can be a good of a instruction manual as say ones that come with motherboards most cases I have used have eave very little instructions to non at all i think it time to change that

I would also like to see in the instruction manual is warranty info and not sure if you cover this allready but the cpu heatsink and fan requirements ie size. And also something about cd/dvd driver on the how they to install then I'm just trying to think so this can be a good of a instruction manual as say ones that come with motherboards most cases I have used have eave very little instructions to non at all i think it time to change that

Why would the case include installation instructions for the CD/DVD driver? This is highly dependent on the drive you buy, and this manual is not supposed to be a complete guide on how to build a PC. The reason why mainboards include extensive manuals is because they have a lot of functionality to explain. The M1 is a computer case, you can't describe much more than the assembly process and probably a few hints on compatibility and airflow.

Also, warranty info usually comes on a separate booklet, not inside the manual itself. The CPU cooler and fan sizes will surely be part of the manual.

Short section (photo/pictorial) of most popular (successful) layouts.
Eliminates guessing, and hunting forums for best practices used.

I have been wondering something, and I might be completely missing something here, but why the two intake fans underneath the GPU? It seems like it wouldn't improve GPU temps that much over just having the GPU fans against the bottom of the case and by lowering the layout you could just move the fans to the top for exhaust to remove hot air from the CPU cooler, PSU, and GPU.

I have been wondering something, and I might be completely missing something here, but why the two intake fans underneath the GPU? It seems like it wouldn't improve GPU temps that much over just having the GPU fans against the bottom of the case and by lowering the layout you could just move the fans to the top for exhaust to remove hot air from the CPU cooler, PSU, and GPU.
The bottom 25mm or so of the case is a flexible use space. You can use a 2 or 3 slot Mini-DTX or compact mATX motherboard to take advantage of the third slot and mount a GPU + second card of your choice. Or use the space for a pump or 3.5" HDD in a watercooled build. Or put an aftermarket heatsink on the GPU (like the Accelero Xtreme I used in testing) with bottom fans. Or just use it for cable space. There are many uses for it beyond just mounting fans.

The bottom 25mm or so of the case is a flexible use space. You can use a 2 or 3 slot Mini-DTX or compact mATX motherboard to take advantage of the third slot and mount a GPU + second card of your choice. Or use the space for a pump or 3.5" HDD in a watercooled build. Or put an aftermarket heatsink on the GPU (like the Accelero Xtreme I used in testing) with bottom fans. Or just use it for cable space. There are many uses for it beyond just mounting fans.

Ah, makes sense. I was just curious.

Yeah maybe the CD info was going overboard and i dont need that anyway as I not iv built many pc so I can figure that out. One thing I think might be something you could look in is offering a pre built computer using the case for people who just want something allready to go but in a good case. Or u could look at seeing if you can get system builders to buy the case like these one listed below

Origin Pc - http://www.originpc.com/

Digital Storm - http://www.digitalstormonline.com/

Falcon Northwest - http://www.falcon-nw.com

maingear - http://www.maingear.com/

Puget Systems - http://www.pugetsystems.com/

Yeah I think it could be a huge commercial success for NCASE if they could step their foot in the door there, but that would require some serious paperwork, and I often have the impression that those prebuilt PCs are made to look as flashy as possible.
Not that I don't want that to change, I just think it will be very hard to.
Go NCASE! Make SFF the new normal!

Yeah I think it could be a huge commercial success for NCASE if they could step their foot in the door there, but that would require some serious paperwork, and I often have the impression that those prebuilt PCs are made to look as flashy as possible.
Not that I don't want that to change, I just think it will be very hard to.
Go NCASE! Make SFF the new normal!
IMO the Ncase has made the SSF scene the new normal. So many threads on here and other forums compare xxxx vs Ncase.

IMO the Ncase has made the SSF scene the new normal. So many threads on here and other forums compare xxxx vs Ncase.

Yeah, but most people that buy PCs aren't on these forums, and most gamers still buy preassembled full ATX cases with nothing but room inside. That's not bad, but if SFF becomes mainstream, we will get more choices for SFX PSUs, more choices for cheaper mITX boards, and maybe even more mITX GPUs.
But yes, in terms of enthusiasts, SFF is the new normal.

One thing I think might be something you could look in is offering a pre built computer using the case for people who just want something allready to go but in a good case. Or u could look at seeing if you can get system builders to buy the case like these one listed below
One of the companies you linked actually contacted us last year, but nothing ever came of it.

It's not likely we'll offer complete systems ourselves, since that kind of thing is at whole other level from our current operation. It's still just us two, and we basically work on this stuff in our spare time from home. We'd need actual office/shop space to build complete systems at any kind of volume, and we'd probably need to bring at least one extra person on board and pay them, since w360 and I live on opposite sides of the country and he's not an experienced system builder. But as far as working with an established company like the ones you linked, I'm not opposed to it.

I still want instruction manual when will u start on that

I really don't see the need to print and ship shitloads of paper increasing cost and workload in the distribution when all the info you need is right there on the homepage.

I would happily never receive another paper/CD manual ever again as long as the info is available online.

I really don't see the need to print and ship shitloads of paper increasing cost and workload in the distribution when all the info you need is right there on the homepage.

I would happily never receive another paper/CD manual ever again as long as the info is available online.

100% agree. Web/PDF is the way to go.

(And I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'd like to help :) )

It's not likely we'll offer complete systems ourselves, since that kind of thing is at whole other level from our current operation. It's still just us two, and we basically work on this stuff in our spare time from home. We'd need actual office/shop space to build complete systems at any kind of volume, and we'd probably need to bring at least one extra person on board and pay them, since w360 and I live on opposite sides of the country and he's not an experienced system builder. But as far as working with an established company like the ones you linked, I'm not opposed to it.

Not to mention that unless you started selling the M1 exclusively as part of a complete system you can't compete on price with the larger, established boutiques who get volume discounts on the parts.

I still want instruction manual when will u start on that
You've asked about this more than a few times this week. If you've bought this case and need a manual this badly to ask for it over 5 times, you are probably in over your head.

For someone who posted about stripping a screw thread: this shouldn't be a problem if you use the feeling in your hands to determine if a screw is properly seated. If you need to put force into twisting the screw driver, you are doing something wrong. The screw might be misalligned or the wrong screw is used. Another tip: use the correct screwdriver. If it doesn't grip the screw well, it isn't the correct screwdriver.

For someone who posted about stripping a screw thread: this shouldn't be a problem if you use the feeling in your hands to determine if a screw is properly seated. If you need to put force into twisting the screw driver, you are doing something wrong. The screw might be misalligned or the wrong screw is used. Another tip: use the correct screwdriver. If it doesn't grip the screw well, it isn't the correct screwdriver.

Well that doesn't help him anymore, right? But yeah, I can hardly imagine putting enough force onto a screw that it breaks off. Still, shit happens. Would be nice to get an update about the problem.

It wasn't about solving his stripped thread, it was about informing how and why. It happens with inexperience, I had to learn it the hard way.

No I don't need one just like to have one if I do need a instruction manual to reference

No denying a manual would be a useful addition, but it's not going to magically appear overnight. Someone would have to compile all the information, write the text, generate the diagrams, someone to proofread it and make corrections, etc. Weeks or months work, considering NCase is just two guys who have busy day jobs aside from this project.

If you have particular questions or unsure about something, there's lots of experienced NCase owners here willing to help :)

Remember, this is a hobbyist project. You can demand all you want, but until anyone involved in the project is paid market rate for the work they have been doing, your demand is not going to get many sympathizers.

If you want a manual now, start a wiki, convince people to contribute to it, and manage it.

Well, the soonest we could possibly do a paper manual would be the next production run, since the V3s are all done, packed and sealed and waiting to be bought. The next production run isn't a sure thing, however, and won't be for some time in any case.

That said, a downloadable (i.e., PDF) manual is a possibility. Most of the what it would contain is already covered in the compatibility section and FAQ on the website, so it'd be more for convenience than anything. In some respects it'd be even less useful than what's on the website, since it includes links to the google spreadsheet, build threads, and user gallery, information which can't realistically be included in a manual.

it includes links to the google spreadsheet, build threads, and user gallery, information which can't realistically be included in a manual.

You can put links in a PDF, might need Acrobat Pro to do it though.

You could give people the option to buy maybe buy a hard copy for $5 that all ready have a case or pdf version for free

You could give people the option to buy maybe buy a hard copy for $5 that all ready have a case or pdf version for free

A hard copy of the manual? I don't think that is going to sell particularly well. Also remember that the manual will have to be shipped, so in the end you could be paying $10 or $15 for just a little bit of paper that is a stripped version of something you can download for free.

You may just want to print it yourself at that point.

Back