NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Samsung should introduction the ssd 960pro by next month. You might want to add it to your shopping liste instead of the 1t 850 ssd.
You can savez some money not using à 3200MHz Ram. Except on your Wallet you should not notice any change.

Looking forward to see the résult of à 1080 plus accéléro.

Samsung should introduction the ssd 960pro by next month. You might want to add it to your shopping liste instead of the 1t 850 ssd.
You can savez some money not using à 3200MHz Ram. Except on your Wallet you should not notice any change.

Looking forward to see the résult of à 1080 plus accéléro.

Yeah the saving on the RAM are about 10-15$ not much of a difference, The accelero will probably wait until about december, but I'm eager to see how it performs too.

Hmm,
yeah there are two 140mm (circular) fans that come with the C-14, personally I don't plan on using either, might migrate them to my ATX case or keep them for potential future project.

That's the one component I couldn't wait to install right away, the current I7 2600 + GTX 770 (2 gb) are not enough to drive AAA titles right now at that resolution but it's great to replay some old classics (playing black mesa right now). The witcher 3 is going to look sick...

hmmm, I am using the c14 w a single 140 mm, debating on whether this is preferable or not to a dual 120 mmm setup :/

just waiting for my cooler to arrive:

r7v5y1v.jpg

I've bought 5 SSDs over the last couple years, various brands,
not one came with a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter. But you can get them cheap.
Highly recommend picking up the HP Caddy, part number: 654540 001 REV B
Run a Google search (or on eBay) with that part number.
** A newer part is now available, 668261-001 that you should also look at.**

I bought these from a Chinese surplus dealer, 2 years ago, when I was building 4 systems with SSD (2.5") as boot drives.
They were a bit cheaper then (undiscovered), but have risen in price -- as demand increased.

It was so nice to mount the SSD (SanDisk or Samsung) in these caddies, and it handles the SATA relocation.
The caddies are thin enough to fit almost every 3.5 drive mounting situation.

gb

Yeah I want a nice 1440p monitor so bad, the price keeps scaring me off.
I believe most would have 2 fans mounted on the side of the case as intakes, then use the 14mm thick 92mm noctua fan as exhaust, leaving the space under the C14 free (some put 120mm fans, but i doubt this makes a huge difference personally). A lot of people on here don't even use the noctua fans that come with, as this case seems better suited around 120mm fans.

I'll have the Noctua C14 CPU cooler by Wednesday. I also have 2 Vardar F4-120ER and 2 Noctua NF-F12 fans as well. I don't have the slim Noctua 92mm. I probably will not OC the i7-6700k CPU. And I have the nVidia 1080-FE model (exhausts air out)... and no traditional hard drives either, just an SSD.

So, with what I have for fans and the components I'm using, is there an ideal setup for the cooling?

Hi everybody! Like many others I was completely set on the NCASE after seeing it for first time but only now am I able to plan and save for a new computer build. I am probably going to do a basic air cooled build now and a major overhaul in a year or two and watercool with Intel Cannonlake and the new Optane based SSDs.

One thing I have not seen in all the pages and build galleries is whether anyone has attempted vertical mounting of the GPU. I currently have an ASUS Strix 1070 and i know it will just barely squeeze into the M1... but that means theres absolutely no way to water cool it unless I vertical mount.

I realise that the M1 does not have the any space to modify the back IO area for a vertical GPU, and I do not want to cut up the case that much anyway. this means the back of the GPU will not be accessible from outside the case... but I already thought of using these Panel Mount Extenders to deal with the monitor connection. there are DisplayPort panel mounts as well.

This means that the GPU would not be secured to the case by the PCI brackets.... so now I am trying to figure out a way to mount the GPU either by some sort of adapter/bracket that will screw into the case to the right of the PCI slots, or a bracket that screws into the bottom of the case, or to the side panel itself.

If anyone has any idea please share. this is a long LONG ways off but eventually I do want my Strix card water cooled, vert mounted, and on display through a windowed side panel.

(Clarification, I am specifically using the Strix card because it has two HDMI outputs and I am getting an HTC Vive in the future as well. need to connect to living room TV and Vive at same time)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi everybody! Like many others I was completely set on the NCASE after seeing it for first time but only now am I able to plan and save for a new computer build. I am probably going to do a basic air cooled build now and a major overhaul in a year or two and watercool with Intel Cannonlake and the new Optane based SSDs.

One thing I have not seen in all the pages and build galleries is whether anyone has attempted vertical mounting of the GPU. I currently have an ASUS Strix 1070 and i know it will just barely squeeze into the M1... but that means theres absolutely no way to water cool it unless I vertical mount.

I realise that the M1 does not have the any space to modify the back IO area for a vertical GPU, and I do not want to cut up the case that much anyway. this means the back of the GPU will not be accessible from outside the case... but I already thought of using these Panel Mount Extenders to deal with the monitor connection. there are DisplayPort panel mounts as well.

This means that the GPU would not be secured to the case by the PCI brackets.... so now I am trying to figure out a way to mount the GPU either by some sort of adapter/bracket that will screw into the case to the right of the PCI slots, or a bracket that screws into the bottom of the case, or to the side panel itself.

If anyone has any idea please share. this is a long LONG ways off but eventually I do want my Strix card water cooled, vert mounted, and on display through a windowed side panel.

(Clarification, I am specifically using the Strix card because it has two HDMI outputs and I am getting an HTC Vive in the future as well. need to connect to living room TV and Vive at same time)
There's absolutely no way a vertically mounted watercooled strix would work in the ncase. It's simply too large and would leave no room for a radiator, anywhere. You'd have a hard time doing it with a tiny ass card like a fury nano and even that would leave very little room and would require plenty of case cutting. Concider returning or exchaning the card or just not watercooling at all, that might be a better, quieter solution.

NCase M1 mod for vertical GPU - build log I found this, not real pretty but it works.

I was unable to find measurements on the Strix EK block but the Bitspower block is 144mm wide. So close.

There's absolutely no way a vertically mounted watercooled strix would work in the ncase. It's simply too large and would leave no room for a radiator, anywhere. You'd have a hard time doing it with a tiny ass card like a fury nano and even that would leave very little room and would require plenty of case cutting. Concider returning or exchaning the card or just not watercooling at all, that might be a better, quieter solution.

Never say Never. I think with the PCIe Riser and mounting the GPU higher up the side panel, where the side bracket goes, would leave enough room on the floor to fit a rad and fans. with a side panel modded to have a window, I would have all intake from the bottom and passive exhaust out the top. Also I am not really concerned about silence since I usually have headphones on or various ambient noise that is already louder than my current PC. I am going 100% for screaming performance in as small a box as possible. as long as I avoid a jet engine sound and thermal throttling i dont mind riding right up to the edge.

NCase M1 mod for vertical GPU - build log I found this, not real pretty but it works.

I was unable to find measurements on the Strix EK block but the Bitspower block is 144mm wide. So close.

Yea I was really unhappy last night when I saw that the Strix card fit but not enough room for the waterblock. thanks for that link though it gives me some idea for fabricating a bracket to mount the GPU on the top edge of the case. all this is in my head for now but in the next couple months I plan on at least buying the case to start tinkering.

I believe this post in the M1 thread at OCN is what you need to look at:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1365342/ncase-m1-prototype-a-mini-itx-case/460_10#post_22769471

Qrash you are the fuckin man thank you so much, i dont frequent OCN and now I need to search through all their stuff too. that build is EXACTLY what I want to do eventually.

Just realize the owner has a friend who is a machinist and that build required a lot of custom work. Here is the worklog:

NCASE M1 - Forum PCLab.pl

Good luck, we'll be watching for your build updates.

Last edited:
Just realize the owner has a friend who is a machinist and that build required a lot of custom work. Here is the worklog:

NCASE M1 - Forum PCLab.pl

Good luck, we'll be watching for your build updates.

I've seen pics of that before and it is a great looking build, wish I could showcase my Aquacomputer block like that. I don't see an opening at the back of the case for the pci slots, unless I am missing it.

I'll have the Noctua C14 CPU cooler by Wednesday. I also have 2 Vardar F4-120ER and 2 Noctua NF-F12 fans as well. I don't have the slim Noctua 92mm. I probably will not OC the i7-6700k CPU. And I have the nVidia 1080-FE model (exhausts air out)... and no traditional hard drives either, just an SSD.

So, with what I have for fans and the components I'm using, is there an ideal setup for the cooling?

If not OC'ing I'd do your best to undervolt the CPU at stock frequencies to keep temps down. As a result you likely only realistically need 2 fans IMO. The 2 on the side bracket, 2x 120mm NF-F12s would likely be more than enough for your build given you've got a blower-style GPU cooler it should generally take care of itself without increasing CPU temps. You can put 1x intake at the GPU blower entrance but the second one probably won't help given the GPU design, it'll just be blowing air around/creating noise for no real reason.

If I had your setup I personally would just go with 2 fans, C14, and let the FE handle itself. But I also care a lot about acoustics. So your preference will obviously vary.

I didnt see it mentioned in the last few pages, so apologies if this has been covered before.

Was just wondering if a GPU like this will fit in the Ncase M1

GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce® GTX 10 Series - GeForce® GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Water cooling

The GPU itself looks pretty reference sized, and it comes with a 120mm radiator, unfortunately gigabyte doesnt provide measurements for the radiator itself

My only concern other than the radiator thickness is whether the hoses have enough room to bend and whether the hoses might be too long (about 320mm)

Anyone actually used a GPU like this in their ncase? I'm liking the idea of running an AIB watercooled GPU on one radiator slot and running another 120mm AIO for the CPU, both mounted on the side panel..I'm assuming this case has no issue with dual 120mm radiators mounted next to each other in that spot though (not sure if I'm right)

Cheers

Last edited:
I didnt see it mentioned in the last few pages, so apologies if this has been covered before.

Was just wondering if a GPU like this will fit in the Ncase M1

GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce® GTX 10 Series - GeForce® GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Water cooling

The GPU itself looks pretty reference sized, and it comes with a 120mm radiator, unfortunately gigabyte doesnt provide measurements for the radiator itself

My only concern other than the radiator thickness is whether the hoses have enough room to bend and whether the hoses might be too long (about 320mm)

Anyone actually used a GPU like this in their ncase? I'm liking the idea of running an AIB watercooled GPU on one radiator slot and running another 120mm AIO for the CPU, both mounted on the side panel..I'm assuming this case has no issue with dual 120mm radiators mounted next to each other in that spot though (not sure if I'm right)

Cheers

I haven't seen anyone install a Gigabyte Hybrid but it should fit with no problem. Here is someone that installed an EVGA Hybrid, which is wider than the Gigabyte. NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Hi Guys!

For all who have a Radiator on the bottom:

Which Slim Fans are the most silent one? I don´t know, which one i sholud order :whistle:...

Hi Guys!

Which Slim Fans are the most silent one? I don´t know, which one i sholud order :whistle:...

I'm using two Prolimatech Ultra Sleek fans and they are definitely audible but not loud. Much better noise signature than the 12mm Scythe fans I used before.

Hi guys,

First post here. I made an account because of this case. Made an order yesterday and talked to Dan via e-mail. After 10 hours of creating an order, I made a revision that I will get the NO ODD version of the case but I haven't received any response from them yet.

I have read somewhere here that they provide great turnaround and support. Is this normal because my item will be ship on the 21st or 23rd (Taiwan Time) and I don't want to get the version with ODD.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

First post here. I made an account because of this case. Made an order yesterday and talked to Dan via e-mail. After 10 hours of creating an order, I made a revision that I will get the NO ODD version of the case but I haven't received any response from them yet.

I have read somewhere here that they provide great turnaround and support. Is this normal because my item will be ship on the 21st or 23rd (Taiwan Time) and I don't want to get the version with ODD.
Dan/w360 handles customer emails around twice a week, usually, so it may take a couple of days to get back to you. That said, I believe we're all out of the no-ODD slot cases, and cases from the next production run won't start shipping until November. So you may have to cancel your order and wait until November if you're really set on the no-ODD version. Keep in mind that the only difference between the no-ODD and ODD versions is the slot on the top panel, which is also available for order separately on the accessories page.

Dan/w360 handles customer emails around twice a week, usually, so it may take a couple of days to get back to you. That said, I believe we're all out of the no-ODD slot cases, and cases from the next production run won't start shipping until November. So you may have to cancel your order and wait until November if you're really set on the no-ODD version. Keep in mind that the only difference between the no-ODD and ODD versions is the slot on the top panel, which is also available for order separately on the accessories page.

If that's the case then I'm not sure if he will be able to get my message before the shipping date. Because I inquired last Sunday and created an order next day.

I think it's not wise to buy the top panel alone for $40 CAD (including the shipping fee).

Anyway, thanks for your response. I'll just accept whatever Dan decided to do.

Last edited:
NT06-Pro appears to fit fine however you'll find it will sit across over both side fan spots. I.e. if you want a fan on TOP of the NT06-Pro you won't be able to use both side fans unless perhaps slim (this is going off a side orientation of the heatpipes. with the tips facing the front of the case. I've just read this on a post on here somewhere, as the user didn't have a fan on the unit itself but had 2 side fans instead but a rather large gap (Here). It's not ideal turns out :(. C14 old school was ideal as it sat perfectly with the side fans installed. Dark Rock TF is similar height wise so works well in that sense but appears to have several compatibility problems otherwise. Some may work, but I'd rather not be breaking/cutting any fins, or use a riser card.

I'm keeping an eye out on used C-14's on ebay lol. I found one but it's like 200 AUD because they're asking 120 US -.- + shipping is like 40 US. zzz may as well get a friend overseas to buy it for me from NE. XD (am considering this.. lol)

EDIT:

I am curious if anyone here has installed the C14s though and used it in lower fan config? Wonder what temps are like..

Further Edit:

Uh, according to this review (Here) the Be Quiet slim beats out the U9S even with 2 fans?? I find this very... Odd and I don't necessarily believe it considering it costs half the price?! I'm very tempted just to buy it for testing sake... >.>

Also - This Website in German shows it matching closely to the U9S.. Take all these with a grain of salt as they're not the typical major review sites.

Ok, NT06-Pro discarded. I have a 120mm slim fan in house (Scythe) but it's quite loud... :(

Who has a EKWB Predator installed?

Would be nice to get some pics. EK cut off the 240mm version prices, so..

Hmm,

hmmm, I am using the c14 w a single 140 mm, debating on whether this is preferable or not to a dual 120 mmm setup :/

What 140mm fan are you using? A dual 120mm might be better perf if the fan you have now isn't great.

Updates :) hopefully will have the pump/res mounted today so I can start planning the tubing. There'll be a rear 92mm fan + res, but until I replace my ram heatsinks with something low profile they do not fit.

ZnHyWNG.jpg

Updates :) hopefully will have the pump/res mounted today so I can start planning the tubing. There'll be a rear 92mm fan + res, but until I replace my ram heatsinks with something low profile they do not fit.

ZnHyWNG.jpg

Looking good, look forward to seeing it finished. Too bad you can't use that ram, looks great.

So promising - loving the cables. Perfect length and so organised!
- Where does the USB cable go?

What's the rear fan/res about?
- Doubling up on your pump res?

Hi Guys!

I haven't really tried anything else - but the Silverstone FW121 are not great. My experience so far is that no Silverstone fans are very good.

Next - I'm going to try these: GELID Solutions > Products
- Slim, but not too slim. Not too fast either.

Also for you to consider:
Raijintek: Raijintek Aeolus Beta fan Black / White - 120mm
Prolimatek: Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 | Prolimatech
- There is a 120mm version too. But the 140mm version fits on the floor of the case which is perfect for helping with the fit of the radiator.
- The Prolimatek 140mm will need some mounting holes to be drilled. But the larger fan diameter promises good things for lower noise.
Scythe: Slip Stream 120 mm Slim: CPU Kühler, Lüfter, Lüftersteuerung, PC Netzteile von Scythe

I have two of these fans in the bottom of my NCase. I have them connected to the fan controller on the motherboard...they run at their absolute minimum on idle and ramp up as CPU temperature goes up. They move decent air and my fan profile keeps them quiet. I can't talk about performance on a radiator though...don't have my system on water yet.

I´ve ordered now some of them all:

Scythe Slip Stream SLIM SY1212SL12L
Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex
RAIJINTEK Aeolus Beta
Silverstone SST-FN123

Personally, I was going to get the GELIDs. I thought I had read somewhere they were actually very strong slim fans.

Just finished putting my 2nd rad in. More pics here - NCASE

• Case – NCASE M1 v5
  • Mobo - ASUS Z97I-PLUS
  • CPU – i7 4790k @ 4.6
  • GPU – EVGA 1080 SC
  • Ram – 2 x 8GB Crucial LP
  • Cooling – EK Coolstream 240 PE w/ 2 Corsair ML Pro 120 and EK Coolsteam 240 SE w/ 2 Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12
  • SSD – Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
  • PSU – Corsair SF600

DkdNsag.jpg

Just finished putting my 2nd rad in. More pics here - NCASE

• Case – NCASE M1 v5
  • Mobo - ASUS Z97I-PLUS
  • CPU – i7 4790k @ 4.6
  • GPU – EVGA 1080 SC
  • Ram – 2 x 8GB Crucial LP
  • Cooling – EK Coolstream 240 PE w/ 2 Corsair ML Pro 120 and EK Coolsteam 240 SE w/ 2 Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12
  • SSD – Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
  • PSU – Corsair SF600

I know you just posted this....... but whats the pump like on the Apogee Drive II?
- Noise?
- Speed control?

I was always interested in doing this but the unit is hard to come by in Australia.

I know you just posted this....... but whats the pump like on the Apogee Drive II?
- Noise?
- Speed control?

I was always interested in doing this but the unit is hard to come by in Australia.

I have the Apogee Drive II and I think it is great. I have mine running at 100% and can't hear it at all. It is PWM controlled, but I have it hooked to a fan controller.

Back