NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

IMG_4379_zpscg9tb5bb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I wonder if anyone can offer some advice concerning my next step.

Im looking to upgrade the GPU in my system. My old KFA2 560Ti is dumping alot (and I do mean ALOT) of heat into my build to the point it will shut down the system on graphic intensive tasks (ie gaming).

My idle CPU temps are between 30-35, and then up to 65 ish when gaming from the gpu heat dump.

Im looking at installing a 960 or 970 into my build and would ideally want a mini itx variant. However Im now worried the cooler/ venting will not be nearly substantial enough so would a stock 'blower' card be the way to go?

Ive already removed the bottom 120mm fan as this was simply forcing GPU heat back up into the system.

Also has any one considered compartmentalising between the gpu and cpu? Ideally a thin section of perspex between the two sections with routing for cables?

Thanks for any help.

Proglin made a duct here: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041457405&postcount=15773
Blower card is probably the easiest way out without modifications.
Or if you dare to go further, there are some who removed the shroud/fans of the GPU and run two 120mm fans below the GPU, and made ducts from the fans to the heatsink.
This way you'll be able to run the 120mm fans as exhaust to pipe the heat directly out the bottom.
With the Arctic Accelero Xtreme aftermarket cooler, there's no need for ducting.
Here's a picture of my setup with bottom exhaust.
u9PFFNv.png

Proglin made a duct here: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041457405&postcount=15773
Blower card is probably the easiest way out without modifications.
Or if you dare to go further, there are some who removed the shroud/fans of the GPU and run two 120mm fans below the GPU, and made ducts from the fans to the heatsink.
This way you'll be able to run the 120mm fans as exhaust to pipe the heat directly out the bottom.
With the Arctic Accelero Xtreme aftermarket cooler, there's no need for ducting.
Here's a picture of my setup with bottom exhaust.
u9PFFNv.png

What card is that and what kind of temps are you getting?

Also has any one considered compartmentalising between the gpu and cpu? Ideally a thin section of perspex between the two sections with routing for cables?

I keep meaning to try this, but work/life keeps getting in the way. I have the short Zotac 970 and I've removed the shroud from its fairly small heatsink so that my bottom mounted 120 fans can blow directly onto it. My plan is to remove the third PCI slot cover and the small rectangular plate above the covers as well. My hope is that adding a cardboard (or perspex) divider just above the graphics card will force all of the GPU airflow out the rear (and maybe the front too, above the I/O connectors) of the case.

What card is that and what kind of temps are you getting?
It's the (Powercolor PCS+) R9 290, the most power hungry single GPU on the market together with the R9 290x.
When I play CivBE, the GPU peaks at 59C.
I ran Uniengine Valley for 10 minutes and it peaks at 68C.
I checked the motherboard temp at the end of the run and it was at 40C.
Bottom 120mm fans are connected to the GPU.
wPPaZvP.png

So I just ordered one of these cases a week ago. Hoping to receive in the next week or 2. Basically looking to create a gaming machine for the living room, by it's nature it may extend to some multimedia, but gaming is the goal here. I want to get it as powerful as possible without disrupting the living room with excessive fan/water noise. I'm willing to pay a premium to accomplish both of these goals.

I don't really want to experiment to much and am looking for proven builds. Closest I have found to what I was looking for was the build Silent PC Review did. I've skimmed parts of this thread, but certainly not the entire thing.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1431-page1.html

I'd like to copy that build except maybe with a 980, unless that's going to run too hot and/or raise fan noise a significant amount.

Note: I haven't built a system in years, I've backed off this hobby as I've gotten older, but every system I've ever owned I built. I've never done water cooling, not even one of these AIOs, which is a new concept to me. Until recently I thought all water cooling solutions were pretty custom, requiring external reservoirs and pumps.

So researching the AIO they are using, Arctic Hybrid II, the consensus seems to be excellent on the core and not so much on the VRAM, this is even with a heat sink. SPR left the heat sinks off the VRAM altogether, Beyond that, while they tested the temp for the core, from what I can see did not test VRAM temp. So alarms are sounding around that part of their build.

So in short, is that a concern, is there a better route I can go with a build similar to that? Also 980/970, is there reason to go with one over the other besides price?

Thanks guys.

Can I use both 140mm fans on C14 if I have low profile ram on Asus Maximus Impact and mount the SFX psu to Ncase ATX bracket with silverstone SFX to ATX bracket ?

Asus Maximus Impact VI [Soon to be replaced with VII]
Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP [25.5mm]
Silverstone SFX-L 500W on Ncase ATX bracket with silverstone SFX to ATX bracket
Noctua NH-C14 with both 140mm fans [38mm ram clearance]
EVGA GTX970 SC

I am afraid that lower fan might interfere with Asus sound card, M.2 slot or with dautherboard.

Thanks for the advice Cows. Definitely will look at some form of basic partition, perspex of otherwise for the long term and I think it would be a good little inexpensive project.

As you mentioned it are your fans exhausting out the bottom of the case or blowing towards the card/ top. If the are blowing upwards it would defeat the purpose of what I want to achieve however I really like the idea of using the space I have and filling it with a cooler. Love how quiet my system is and wand to try and keep it that way.

Used AC solutions before. Reminds me of my old 8800GT 'sniff'

Got rid of the two fans and strapped a 120mm fan on with the frame cut off. Worked like an absolute dream.

Love to do it again if it works in this case.

Last edited:
As you mentioned it are your fans exhausting out the bottom of the case or blowing towards the card/ top.
Hey, it's blowing downwards, out the bottom. I think it's the most logical choice to not dump 300W of heat into the case. My two side 120mm fans and back 90mm fan serve as filtered intake.

So in short, is that a concern, is there a better route I can go with a build similar to that? Also 980/970, is there reason to go with one over the other besides price?

The 980 has a slightly higher TDP (165W vs 145W) but it should still be fine, especially if you get that afermarket water cooler. I would even just start with the reference 980 and see what you think from there.

For compatibility and common builds, there is a spreadsheet on the first page where many users have put down their info so that could be another place to start.

So I just ordered one of these cases a week ago. Hoping to receive in the next week or 2. Basically looking to create a gaming machine for the living room, by it's nature it may extend to some multimedia, but gaming is the goal here. I want to get it as powerful as possible without disrupting the living room with excessive fan/water noise. I'm willing to pay a premium to accomplish both of these goals.

I don't really want to experiment to much and am looking for proven builds. Closest I have found to what I was looking for was the build Silent PC Review did. I've skimmed parts of this thread, but certainly not the entire thing.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1431-page1.html

I'd like to copy that build except maybe with a 980, unless that's going to run too hot and/or raise fan noise a significant amount.

Note: I haven't built a system in years, I've backed off this hobby as I've gotten older, but every system I've ever owned I built. I've never done water cooling, not even one of these AIOs, which is a new concept to me. Until recently I thought all water cooling solutions were pretty custom, requiring external reservoirs and pumps.

So researching the AIO they are using, Arctic Hybrid II, the consensus seems to be excellent on the core and not so much on the VRAM, this is even with a heat sink. SPR left the heat sinks off the VRAM altogether, Beyond that, while they tested the temp for the core, from what I can see did not test VRAM temp. So alarms are sounding around that part of their build.

Thanks guys.

Looking over your goals, do you need gaming performance greater than 1080p? If not, a GTX 970 is your sweet spot. A 980 is an amazing card, but if you're gaming on a 1080p TV in the living room, you're gaining very little at the expense of cost, heat, power, and noise. Check the NCASE M1 compatibility sheet (link on the first post) to see which cards will fit. There are also a bunch of assembled builds listed there for you to peruse.

Also, if low noise is your concern, be aware that the Silverstone 450 and 600 power supply used in the SPCR article are a gamble. There's a 50/50 chance you'll get one whose fan will be too loud for your quiet living room needs. You should look into the 500-L version which may limit some of your mounting options.

Thanks for the tips guys.

In regards to performance of the 980/970, I was thinking of it more in terms of future proofing and/or extending the life of the system. I don't mind spending the extra coin for limited increase today, I'd like to do as few upgrades as possible over the lifespan of the system(between a cramped case and an after market cooler).

But if there's a notable associated temperature increase, then I may sick with the 970.

Thanks!

Any thoughts on the Arctic AIO keeping VRAM cool with only thermal pads, no heat sinks and air cooling?

As much as SPCR raved about it, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information out there.

I never realized how happy a tracking number could make me.

Wahaha360 and Necere thanks so much for doing this project can't wait to build.

I guess I really need to buy my CPU cooler and fans since everything else is on its way to my house.

I never realized how happy a tracking number could make me.

Just out of curiousity, how long after you placed your order did you appear on the spreadsheet or any confirmation??

It feels like a miracle that I even stumbled upon this awesome case, and just want to get building already!!

Thanks!

So I ordered mine Friday last week I think. Just got notice I am receiving today. I am still not on spreadsheet.

For clarification:

Today, 1 week after I ordered I got confirmation of shipment and a tracking #. Today is also the day it's scheduled to arrive.

I was expecting another week so I hadn't ordered any parts yet. Time to get going.

Just out of curiousity, how long after you placed your order did you appear on the spreadsheet or any confirmation??

It feels like a miracle that I even stumbled upon this awesome case, and just want to get building already!!

Thanks!

I ordered on 2/22 so almost two weeks, but I blane most of that on Chinese New Year break.

Got everything ordered and should be arriving over the next week. Hoping everything makes it here by Thursday so I can build on my off day.

For clarification:

Today, 1 week after I ordered I got confirmation of shipment and a tracking #. Today is also the day it's scheduled to arrive.

I was expecting another week so I hadn't ordered any parts yet. Time to get going.

Thanks Taco for the insight! Nice to have that little nugget of truth. I'll be waiting as patiently as possible...

Can't wait for this awesome little thing!

I ordered on 2/22 so almost two weeks, but I blane most of that on Chinese New Year break.

Got everything ordered and should be arriving over the next week. Hoping everything makes it here by Thursday so I can build on my off day.

Didn't even think about that :confused::(

I've done all of this backwards, I have all of my components except the case, lol. I've put it all together on the MoBo box and tested the system and done some light gaming, but disassembling/reassembling is getting old fast.

Thanks!

Didn't even think about that :confused::(

I've done all of this backwards, I have all of my components except the case, lol. I've put it all together on the MoBo box and tested the system and done some light gaming, but disassembling/reassembling is getting old fast.

Thanks!

That is the one thing that worried me, I've been sitting on CPU and motherboard for a couple of weeks. Really hoping they aren't DOA. I had tested my GTX 970, but I just swapped it for a 980 which should be here today hopefully.

Thanks Taco for the insight! Nice to have that little nugget of truth. I'll be waiting as patiently as possible...

Can't wait for this awesome little thing!

Ordered mine the 21st, got my tracking number today, just says package acceptance - Taiwan. All my parts should be here the 11th, i'm very excited to build in this case. :D

That is the one thing that worried me, I've been sitting on CPU and motherboard for a couple of weeks. Really hoping they aren't DOA. I had tested my GTX 970, but I just swapped it for a 980 which should be here today hopefully.

I'll take your GTX 970! :D:D This case is by far the most expensive part of my build. This is my first time building and wanted to experiment with a budget gaming system before I bought any crazy expensive stuff and broke anything. Mine certainly isn't the fastest, but my GTX 750 Superclocked will have a beautiful home :cool: Needless to say I'll certainly be doing some upgrading now that I have some idea of what's up.

Ordered mine the 21st, got my tracking number today, just says package acceptance - Taiwan. All my parts should be here the 11th, i'm very excited to build in this case. :D

That's awesome! Yeah I'm really excited as well. I had been looking at the Hadron but wasn't thrilled w/ some of its limitations, and all of the other m-itx cases looked kind of lame (just in my opinion). I can't wait to give my components (and future upgrades) a nice home!

Can't wait to see yours finished!

For clarification:

Scratch this. The first sentence is accurate. However I coincidentally got a tracking # for another package someone else ordered literally an hour after I got the first notice and confuses them.

So 1 week from ordering I got confirmation of shipping, I do not know when it will be here though.

Very unlikely to get a bad cpu. The mobo however is what would worry me if I waited also. Hopefully though it will work out fine. Good luck. :)

I really need to quit spending money haha. Cooling, SSDs, optical drive, and a new 4K monitor en route.

I really need to quit spending money haha. Cooling, SSDs, optical drive, and a new 4K monitor en route.

For real. I've just finished (save for the case) buying everything for an admittedly super cheapo budget build and putting it together... Now with my confidence and knowledge up a little bit I can't help but drool and coerce myself away from Newegg and the like before I go totally broke.

*Sigh* one day

Anyone have any tips on managing these cables a little better? I'm wanting to get a 92mm fan to go under the gpu fan and didn't know if there was any better way to tuck away everything other than under the gpu. Really wish i had the tools to make custom length cables

5t5OcpSl.jpg

this reply is probably too late, but this is how i managed the cables:
10f757d.jpg

KTqt0C6.png

After some squeezing, I got the SFX-L PSU in with a long card with fan facing outside. Even with the V3 bracket, the card will either be warped or be pushed downwards if there's space below, but it works, barely.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew where to get hardware for the ncame m1 v1. I lost my bag with extra screws and the like.

If anyone cares: I managed to cram a h100i 780ti and 600w sfx in there! yay!

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew where to get hardware for the ncame m1 v1. I lost my bag with extra screws and the like.

If anyone cares: I managed to cram a h100i 780ti and 600w sfx in there! yay!

Just email W360 (info at ncases.com) and tell him which spares you'd like to buy. I ordered a bunch of spare plastic clips, the shorter PSU cables, and a few bags of various screws and rubber washers. Iirc, he didn't have any of the exterior domed screws at the time.. not really sure what he has on hand now.

I've gotten quotes for my SFX-L bracket, so now it's time to see if there's enough interest to move forward.

Custom SFX-L Bracket Interest Survey

Please only fill out if you're serious about buying one. We need to see if we could hit the minimum order quantity otherwise it'd be too expensive to produce.

For those not familiar, I've developed a custom bracket that would mount a SFX-L PSU up against the front of the case like the ATX bracket so the connectors will clear the end of 10.5" length cards like the reference GTX 970/980.

Pic of prototype installed: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041440375&highlight=#post1041440375

Note: Production version would be shifted forward slightly to better clear the card.

Also note: The bracket will block use of anything mounted to the forward part of the side bracket (radiator, fan, HDD, etc.). It will also block any 2.5" drives from being mounted to the inside of the front frame with the PSU in the forward position.

There is an additional set of mounting holes for those with shorter video cards that will let the PSU clear 2 x 2.5" drives. Either way, you can still mount drives behind the front panel.

Any news? Got any quotes and if you did, whats the min. q?

So about three days ago I got that upgrade itch. The itch to build a SFF, finally, after all these years of wanting a tiny system.
I have just placed an order for this magnificent M1 case. So incredibly excited to get building!

I will post pictures as things arrive. :)

Just really wanted to say thank you to the community for getting this thing off the ground.

Looking at minimum of 200 units, only up to 30 responses so far though.

:(
Maybe this caters only to a too specific group and there just aren't enough ppl with the combination of hardware this bracket fits.

Other more general options:
The problem with raising the sfx bracket another couple of mm is the power cable right? (or is it the clip)
Are there any "low profile" power cable connectors?

or rather, Even LowER profile connectors. Its already impressively small compared to what is available on the market. Seems like the only option left would be for the power cable to be hard wired.

or rather, Even LowER profile connectors. Its already impressively small compared to what is available on the market. Seems like the only option left would be for the power cable to be hard wired.

Interesting... making a modular power supply... non-modular?

Back