NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I already own a Hadron. Me and Fiance are building a gaming comp for her.

The above problems you have stated are not 100% true.
PSU is quiet, its the Case Fan and the use of 3pin CPU cooler that are loud.

i5 4670K | GTX 980 ref. | EVGA Z97 | NT06-Pro CPU fan | 2x SSD | CD Drive |
replace the stock fans with Any Known 2x Quiet Fans 4pin
result is 50-55C CPU and 70-75C GPU on load, 30C and 34C Idle
It is Possible and Whisper Quiet =) but the stock Fans gotta go.
The PSU Sucks Air from inside and dumps it out, the GTX 980 has a perfect void to pull air from...

But EVGA case aside I am debating on this case or another Hadron.

Hadron Has PSU but i need to watch CPU cooler and 2x new Fans.
60-80 Bucks in Cooler and Fans

From what i reading the M1 I have to get, how many fans i need Plus the Power Supply on top of that correct ?

So i am planning to skimp here and there to make up Cost that i dumped into the case.

GTX 770 | Asrock Z87 | 16GB ram | SSD mSata to the Mobo

So the parts i can cut cost on are CPU | Cooler | Fans | PSU
Or find a second hand M1 but i have not seen one.

I can use a normal PSU that is modular on this case ?
BC i seen odd power supplys in most pics.

I already own a Hadron. Me and Fiance are building a gaming comp for her.

The above problems you have stated are not 100% true.
PSU is quiet, its the Case Fan and the use of 3pin CPU cooler that are loud.

i5 4670K | GTX 980 ref. | EVGA Z97 | NT06-Pro CPU fan | 2x SSD | CD Drive |
replace the stock fans with Any Known 2x Quiet Fans 4pin
result is 50-55C CPU and 70-75C GPU on load, 30C and 34C Idle
It is Possible and Whisper Quiet =) but the stock Fans gotta go.
The PSU Sucks Air from inside and dumps it out, the GTX 980 has a perfect void to pull air from...

Sorry about that, wasn't trying to bash your case or anything. I was just going off my own bit of research on the case, since I don't actually own one.

Sorry about that, wasn't trying to bash your case or anything. I was just going off my own bit of research on the case, since I don't actually own one.

No worries . Didn't take it as a bash.
Just letting ppl know what the case can do.
Though it has its down negatives also.
1. Nothing is modular
2. The built I listed was a pain to put together.
And the list goes on lol. I got it to work.

I like everything about this M1 design just the price tag is a bit hard to swallow.
I am trying to rationalize so it maybe a good buy rather than a expensive box lol

I can use a normal PSU that is modular on this case ?
BC i seen odd power supplys in most pics.
Most people are using an SFX power supply in their builds, which frees up a lot of space for several key features. If you want to use an ATX PSU, you give up the following:

• Long GPU support (over 195mm)
  • 240mm radiator support
  • The dual 3.5" HDD cage on the side bracket

That said, there are some nice builds with ATX PSUs and ASUS Mini GTX 760/970 cards, with an SSD or two.

I like your ducts! What does everything look like from the top? I don't think I've seen an NH-C14 mounted in that orientation(heatpipes pointing aft), how much room do you have around it?

If I'm not mistaken, that's an NH-C12.

It is model NH-C12P SE14 (now discontinued). It uses 140mm fan.

main_nh_c12p_se14.jpg

EpicFruit, later I´m going to upload some other photos.

Is there a planned V4 or an end date for the V3 version? Should i order one now or will it be possible to purchase one in October?

There is another revision in the works ?

Also the website states only Pro Order or in run products can be bought ....

How do i know if it is in stock ? To buy and ready to ship ?

man. hardware canucks review was fantastic! why is he not the leading reviewer on youtube? he is significantly better than all other imo.

Is there a planned V4 or an end date for the V3 version? Should i order one now or will it be possible to purchase one in October?

There is another revision in the works ?

Also the website states only Pro Order or in run products can be bought ....

How do i know if it is in stock ? To buy and ready to ship ?
The V3 cases are available and ready to ship now. At the current sales rate, we may have stock until July or August (just a guess). I wouldn't count on there being any left by October, however.

There is no planned V4, because there are no issues that have come up that would require a new revision. If we were to do another production run, it would be more V3. We don't have plans for that, however - once the current inventory is sold, that's it.

Thanks necere for your comment. Do you think a morpheus gpu cooler will fit with two normal fans? Because i heard it needs 4 slots. So it could be that no other cooler regarding the ac and the inno3d would fit with normal 120mm fans?

Sounds so final :(
That's not to say I'm done or we're done, just that the M1 may or may not be produced in the future. It's always been a very niche product, and the high price limits the appeal for a lot of people. Thing is, we can't lower the price without increasing volume, and we can't increase volume without lowering the price. So we have to look at products that are more accessible if we want something sustainable in the long term.

For anyone interested I've recently completed my Ncase with a internal D5 pump and res together with some decent hardware (2500k, 970, SFX-L).
Very nice. The D5 is pretty big, I wasn't sure it could actually be made to fit. Did you have to remove the front audio jacks?

Thanks necere for your comment. Do you think a morpheus gpu cooler will fit with two normal fans? Because i heard it needs 4 slots. So it could be that no other cooler regarding the ac and the inno3d would fit with normal 120mm fans?
I think the Morpheus could fit using slim fans. Definitely not with normal thickness fans, though.

Hey guys,
first post here after following you for over a year :)
Necere, Wahaha360 you did an outstanding job! - thanks for making this happen - I love my case!

Build spec:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041456770&postcount=367
Pics:
http://imgur.com/gallery/va3xU/new

Anyway my news here is:
It is possible to squeeze in
Apogee Drive II (pump on CPU) next to thick Radiator 38mm (EK-CoolStream), standard 25mm 12cm FAN ...and filters! :)
It leaves less than 1mm clearance between pump fitting and fan bracket but it works!
Added to compatibility spreadsheet.

Cheers!

Nice job!

But is watercooling the 750ti necessary? Mine is the passively cooled version and even overclocked to 1385mhz it barely breaks 52c degrees, and of course completely silent.

It's same thickness as the alpenfohn Peter II, and I can fit maybe, maaaaybe 20mm thick fans under it, definitely 15mm.

I know for a fact 25mm won't fit though, I've tried.:p

For anyone interested I've recently completed my Ncase with a internal D5 pump and res together with some decent hardware (2500k, 970, SFX-L).
It was pretty tricky and I wasn't sure everything would fit at first since I was only going on the online specifications.
With some minor modifications I was able to squeeze everything together.

Small album can be found here:
http://imgur.com/a/cf2r7

Nice album and build! Congratz

I've gotten quotes for my SFX-L bracket, so now it's time to see if there's enough interest to move forward.

Custom SFX-L Bracket Interest Survey

Please only fill out if you're serious about buying one. We need to see if we could hit the minimum order quantity otherwise it'd be too expensive to produce.

For those not familiar, I've developed a custom bracket that would mount a SFX-L PSU up against the front of the case like the ATX bracket so the connectors will clear the end of 10.5" length cards like the reference GTX 970/980.

Pic of prototype installed: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041440375&highlight=#post1041440375

Note: Production version would be shifted forward slightly to better clear the card.

Also note: The bracket will block use of anything mounted to the forward part of the side bracket (radiator, fan, HDD, etc.). It will also block any 2.5" drives from being mounted to the inside of the front frame with the PSU in the forward position.

There is an additional set of mounting holes for those with shorter video cards that will let the PSU clear 2 x 2.5" drives. Either way, you can still mount drives behind the front panel.

Last edited:
Please only fill out if you're serious about buying one.

Then how am I supposed to select "no" and fill out the "why not" section? :D

Also, you might want to add a note to your post/s that your SFX-L bracket blocks use of the side 3.5" HDD bracket (and/or fans, rads, etc mounted in that spot).. and also, if it blocks use of the 2.5" mount in that location, whether for single or stacked drives (I'm not sure if it does, but it looks like it might).

Then how am I supposed to select "no" and fill out the "why not" section? :D

What if you're starting to fill out the form and your M1 bursts into flames suddenly and unexpectedly negating your need for the bracket :p

Actually, it seemed silly to have a checkbox that just had "yes" so I added the "no" option.

Also, you might want to add a note to your post/s that your SFX-L bracket blocks use of the side 3.5" HDD bracket (and/or fans, rads, etc mounted in that spot).. and also, if it blocks use of the 2.5" mount in that location, whether for single or stacked drives (I'm not sure if it does, but it looks like it might).

Good point, I'll edit the post.

It does block any 2.5" mounted to the inside of the front. But there's an additional set of mounting holes for those with shorter cards that would clear those drive mounts.

I've gotten quotes for my SFX-L bracket, so now it's time to see if there's enough interest to move forward.

Please only fill out if you're serious about buying one. We need to see if we could hit the minimum order quantity otherwise it'd be too expensive to produce.

For those not familiar, I've developed a custom bracket that would mount a SFX-L PSU up against the front of the case like the ATX bracket so the connectors will clear the end of 10.5" length cards like the reference GTX 970/980.

Pic of prototype installed: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041440375&highlight=#post1041440375

Note: Production version would be shifted forward slightly to better clear the card.

Do you think the fan would run louder in this configuration since it is pulling in hot air from inside the case? Also would the production version of the bracket allow for 2.5" drives or an ODD mounted in the front?

Do you think the fan would run louder in this configuration since it is pulling in hot air from inside the case? Also would the production version of the bracket allow for 2.5" drives or an ODD mounted in the front?

It's really designed for reference cards so you'd only have to worry about heat from the CPU, most of which will exhaust out the top.

At that point I guess it's debatable whether the SX500-LG intaking slightly warmer air is quieter than the SX600-G intaking fresh air but owning both I'd much rather take the SFX-L's subtle clacking over the variety of strange noise the SX600-G makes.

I've edited my post, 2.5" drives behind the front panel or an ODD will still fit.

The screws and rubber grommets stick inside the frame a bit though so I've elongated the mounting holes so someone with a M.2 drive could shift the PSU right up against the frame for that much extra GPU clearance.

What if you're starting to fill out the form and your M1 bursts into flames suddenly and unexpectedly negating your need for the bracket :p

You know damn well that I certainly won't fill out the form now! :D

(and thanks for the clarification on possible limitations).

Well just used my friends M1 and a cardboard mockup of the H220x and it is possible, but not in a configuration I'm really comfortable with as far as trying to do that short a run, but being able to actually drain the system if needed. Also had to buy some baby stuff so budget won't quite allow for a full loop right now.

Question for you guys about CPU cooler direction as I feel like I have switched a million times in my head. I have been running an H60 in my FT02 for over two years now with zero issues with noise or performance. Would you recommend going the direction of something along the lines of an H60 or go with something more akin to a Noctua cooler? The main goal is as quiet as possible. I have s reference 970 so I am drawn toward the idea of a NH-U9S because I would like to have both fans on the side as intake.

Well just used my friends M1 and a cardboard mockup of the H220x and it is possible, but not in a configuration I'm really comfortable with as far as trying to do that short a run, but being able to actually drain the system if needed. Also had to buy some baby stuff so budget won't quite allow for a full loop right now.

Question for you guys about CPU cooler direction as I feel like I have switched a million times in my head. I have been running an H60 in my FT02 for over two years now with zero issues with noise or performance. Would you recommend going the direction of something along the lines of an H60 or go with something more akin to a Noctua cooler? The main goal is as quiet as possible. I have s reference 970 so I am drawn toward the idea of a NH-U9S because I would like to have both fans on the side as intake.

The NH-U9S is too high to mount a intake fan on the side bracket. Im running the previous version (SE2) with a reference design 970 (Manli) and a single noctua 120mm intake fan for my use its fine. Recently switched to the 500W SFX-L PSU so now its intake fan and dual 92mm cpu fans together with the 970 fan that i hear.

Im guessing a silent cpu fan solution would use that larger noctua cooler that could double as a 120mm intake and cpu fan? Im happy with my setup but its not truly silent but atleast the SFX-L PSU stays quiet in during normal and moderate use since the fan stays off.

Also note: The bracket will block use of anything mounted to the forward part of the side bracket (radiator, fan, HDD, etc.). It will also block any 2.5" drives from being mounted to the inside of the front frame with the PSU in the forward position.

There is an additional set of mounting holes for those with shorter video cards that will let the PSU clear 2 x 2.5" drives. Either way, you can still mount drives behind the front panel.

Gimme. That is all.

It was pretty tricky and I wasn't sure everything would fit at first since I was only going on the online specifications.
With some minor modifications I was able to squeeze everything together.

jLUoM3Bl.jpg

Small album can be found here:
http://imgur.com/a/cf2r7

Well done! Thx for the pics!
Routing that tube behind the front cover is a clever idea!
I am working on a similar D5 project, same GPU block, silver fittings also and oh, your mobo is the one I have in my previous build :D

I want two of your brackets. One for my v2 and one for my v3 and my brother wants one for his v3 as well. We've both voted in your poll already.

I want two of your brackets. One for my v2 and one for my v3 and my brother wants one for his v3 as well. We've both voted in your poll already.

Thanks, I guess I should have considered that some people would want more than one bracket.

Glad I put the extra notes field.

Nice job!

But is watercooling the 750ti necessary? Mine is the passively cooled version and even overclocked to 1385mhz it barely breaks 52c degrees, and of course completely silent.

Probably not and I even suspect that it's actually heating up the CPU. Anyway that was my first WC build and it was hard for me to asses everything on paper before shopping.

The stock cooler was not cooling gpu ram whereas these one sticks to both gpu and all ram - may not have any performance impact but I like that approach :)

The NH-U9S is too high to mount a intake fan on the side bracket. Im running the previous version (SE2) with a reference design 970 (Manli) and a single noctua 120mm intake fan for my use its fine. Recently switched to the 500W SFX-L PSU so now its intake fan and dual 92mm cpu fans together with the 970 fan that i hear.

Im guessing a silent cpu fan solution would use that larger noctua cooler that could double as a 120mm intake and cpu fan? Im happy with my setup but its not truly silent but atleast the SFX-L PSU stays quiet in during normal and moderate use since the fan stays off.

Would you say the noisiest part is just the SFX-L PSU? I had planned on getting the SG600 and just modifying it with a different fan to quiet it down. I had more or less sworn off the SFX-L since I had a reference length card and didn't want to be putting extra pressure on the card.

I really liked the NH-UH9S so I can just have all the heat exhausting instead of potentially re-circulating air with a top/down cooler. When I look at what the cooling would be like to attempt to have 2x120 blowing in and trying to have 2x 92 trying to force it in a different direction would probably cause more harm than good. I could be just overthinking this.

Would you say the noisiest part is just the SFX-L PSU? I had planned on getting the SG600 and just modifying it with a different fan to quiet it down. I had more or less sworn off the SFX-L since I had a reference length card and didn't want to be putting extra pressure on the card.

I really liked the NH-UH9S so I can just have all the heat exhausting instead of potentially re-circulating air with a top/down cooler. When I look at what the cooling would be like to attempt to have 2x120 blowing in and trying to have 2x 92 trying to force it in a different direction would probably cause more harm than good. I could be just overthinking this.

If you're willing to rotate the SFX-L PSU around with the fan facing inside, you should get a little more clearance with the cables, as they're slightly offset and the 24-pin might even clear the GPU in that orientation.

Depending on the position of the CPU socket on your motherboard, you could try orienting the NH-U9S to exhaust upwards, and add another 92mm fan as intake on the rear fan slot. This will bring fresh air directly to the cooler and also expel the heat straight out the top. I don't really think those Noctua NF-A9 PWM fans are that loud at all, you definitely wouldn't hear them over your PSU unless they're running close to full speed. They're also easy on the power draw, so it shouldn't be a problem to connect all 3 of them(push-pull on cooler and one intake) to your CPU header.

If you're willing to rotate the SFX-L PSU around with the fan facing inside, you should get a little more clearance with the cables, as they're slightly offset and the 24-pin might even clear the GPU in that orientation.

Depending on the position of the CPU socket on your motherboard, you could try orienting the NH-U9S to exhaust upwards, and add another 92mm fan as intake on the rear fan slot. This will bring fresh air directly to the cooler and also expel the heat straight out the top. I don't really think those Noctua NF-A9 PWM fans are that loud at all, you definitely wouldn't hear them over your PSU unless they're running close to full speed. They're also easy on the power draw, so it shouldn't be a problem to connect all 3 of them(push-pull on cooler and one intake) to your CPU header.

I have the Asrock z97e-itx/AC so my socket is pretty high up. If I went with the U9S my current plan was to intake from the case mounted 92 ducted to the cooler and then exhausting up, or doing a push/pull exhausting out the back so both CPU and GPU exhausted in the same direction. Although looking at it now, I'm not sure there would even be space for it to fit a top exhaust very well which is why part of me wonders if I should just throw a single fan radiator AIO cooler on it.

Board shot for reference: http://images.anandtech.com/doci/8276/ASRock Z97E-ITX Top.jpg

I have the Asrock z97e-itx/AC so my socket is pretty high up. If I went with the U9S my current plan was to intake from the case mounted 92 ducted to the cooler and then exhausting up, or doing a push/pull exhausting out the back so both CPU and GPU exhausted in the same direction. Although looking at it now, I'm not sure there would even be space for it to fit a top exhaust very well which is why part of me wonders if I should just throw a single fan radiator AIO cooler on it.

Board shot for reference: http://images.anandtech.com/doci/8276/ASRock Z97E-ITX Top.jpg

I don't think you would have to use a duct if the rear intake is within an inch of the heat sink, you should just let it blow directly into the fins from the side, which might actually help more than a duct would. You could decide whether or not to order a third fan for push-pull after you try positioning it with the included fan, it looks close, but you'll still need to try it first. Even with 1 fan, the U9S is still a very formidable little cooler. A second fan would only lower the load temps by 4-5°C tops, not a huge difference from a performance perspective.

How much space there is between ssd and ncase side panel?
Could you put thermal pad between side panel and ssd, so side panel would act as heatsink?

Does it align with the holes in the side panel? If so a thermal pad would compromise the passive air flow the msata drive is getting, for the sake of using that entire panel as a passive heatsink.

How hot is it getting? Is there something on the other side of the motherboard PCB that is contributing to heat in that localized area?

Thanks for the tips. I ebayed some thermal strips. It was "7W/MK". Not sure how trust worthy that was but it was from Phobya.

I put some strips on the chips and it went from 67C at idle down to 51. A good drop but still kinda toasty. I need like a fan on it...

Im not sure if they are conductive. I put strips on the front side facing the sidepanel of the mSATA. The other side of the msata has chips on it but its directly on the motherboard PCB. If I were to put thermal strips on it, would it explode/short out?

Comparing the Z87eITX to the Z97eITX, the cpu is probably a mm or two lower down in the 97 than it was in the 87. I never actually fitted my U9B heatsink in the M1, but in my mockups, the U9B fitted nicely. By fitting nicely, I mean that the heatsink was right up agasint the top panel, within a few mm. I would not say that you have any room at all to add a fan to the top as an exhaust.

IMG_4379_zpscg9tb5bb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I wonder if anyone can offer some advice concerning my next step.

Im looking to upgrade the GPU in my system. My old KFA2 560Ti is dumping alot (and I do mean ALOT) of heat into my build to the point it will shut down the system on graphic intensive tasks (ie gaming).

My idle CPU temps are between 30-35, and then up to 65 ish when gaming from the gpu heat dump.

Im looking at installing a 960 or 970 into my build and would ideally want a mini itx variant. However Im now worried the cooler/ venting will not be nearly substantial enough so would a stock 'blower' card be the way to go?

Ive already removed the bottom 120mm fan as this was simply forcing GPU heat back up into the system.

Also has any one considered compartmentalising between the gpu and cpu? Ideally a thin section of perspex between the two sections with routing for cables?

Thanks for any help.

Back