NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

How about a Steambox/HTPC M2 case as next project :D
Only air cooling ... GPU with riser card ...

YEdQr9F.png

lian li might have 'borrowed' the design from Necere but it is way inferior to the M1. there are other screenshot here http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q35/ there is one tiny vent in the top. one on the bottom. one side vent where the psu is. the psu is placed above the cpu area. i wont even get into the intern differences but they are shown in the pictures

Last edited:
lian li might have ripped them off but it is way inferior to the M1. there are other screenshot here http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q35/ there is one tiny vent in the top. one on the bottom. none on sides. the psu is placed above the cpu area. i wont even get into the intern differences but they are shown in the pictures

looks like a NAS box unless there ar different versions

also see http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/11/27/lian-li-pc-q35/1

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTLEW6K8sPM

Although not as nice as the M1 and it doesn't seem to support an H100, the lian li knockoff Q35 is likely to be my next case since the M1 is unavailable.

How about a Steambox/HTPC M2 case as next project :D
Only air cooling ... GPU with riser card ...

YEdQr9F.png

I would buy the fuck out of that.

I have been looking for a flat-factor HTPC case that looks at home with my AV gear.

I would buy the fuck out of that.

I have been looking for a flat-factor HTPC case that looks at home with my AV gear.

From another thread, FYI...

You know, the more I think about this layout, the more I think it will have heat problems. The reason they can do it with the Steam Machine is they're able to limit the component choice which allows them to design ducting specifically for those components. That's not really possible to do if you need to design a case to work for many different GPUs (blowers/non) and CPU coolers/socket locations.

At this moment busy on a project probably 48 times bigger in size.
Cause I'm quite busy lately and found a spot now I just spend 3 hours reading through the last 100.

Thanks for all the awesome info all!
I somehow can't wait to start on the M1! :)

A cube has the biggest ratio of volume per square inch of metal, so it has the biggest ratio of volume/bare weight. Flat rectangular boxes like X51 will naturally have the lowest ratio of volume/bare weight, so I personally don't like such cases. Yes, I know I'm the only person who cares about the weight. :)

A cube has the biggest ratio of volume per square inch of metal, so it has the biggest ratio of volume/bare weight. Flat rectangular boxes like X51 will naturally have the lowest ratio of volume/bare weight, so I personally don't like such cases. Yes, I know I'm the only person who cares about the weight. :)

The M1 is as light as it can get. So, even if the ratio weight/volume would increase, given that the overall volume would diminish the weight would be the same (or less).

Has anyone tried to fit an ATX PSU into M1? I have a Seasonic SS-400FL2. I can fit it into the case with the shipped ATX PSU mount bracket, but when I try to connect the mains I got trouble. The mains cable in the case comes from the wrong direction. I can push the cable into the bracket with a lot of pressure (I won't do it again as it may break the wires inside), but then I cannot attach the mounting bracket to the case: the small plastic cover holding thingy will not allow it.

I attached an image to illustrate my problem. The cable should obviously come from the other direction but then it can't fit. See red rectangle below.
CableProblem.jpg

BTW is there an online assembly guide to the case as I don't seem to have one in the box.

Thanks for the help.

I can, but then the space between the ATX mounting bracket and the PSU mains socket is still so small that I have to really force the mains cable into place. I'm afraid to break the wires inside. Or is that the way to go?

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to fit an ATX PSU into M1? I have a Seasonic SS-400FL2. I can fit it into the case with the shipped ATX PSU mount bracket, but when I try to connect the mains I got trouble. The mains cable in the case comes from the wrong direction. I can push the cable into the bracket with a lot of pressure (I won't do it again as it may break the wires inside), but then I cannot attach the mounting bracket to the case: the small plastic cover holding thingy will not allow it.
I've addressed this before. It's just an issue with some ATX PSUs, unfortunately. The best I could suggest is to try flipping the PSU the other way, though if the inlet is centered it won't make much difference.

BTW is there an online assembly guide to the case as I don't seem to have one in the box.
There is none.

Now this is completely unexpected, a word of caution would have been nice :(
Is there a way to replace the M1 power cord? I do not want to open the PSU as we talk about a brand new one and this would say goodbye to the warranty.
Or is there a fanless SFX PSU available?

Now this is completely unexpected, a word of caution would have been nice :(
Is there a way to replace the M1 power cord? I do not want to open the PSU as we talk about a brand new one and this would say goodbye to the warranty.
Or is there a fanless SFX PSU available?

Power supply:
SFX up to 130mm, modular or non-modular.
ATX support via included bracket is limited to 140mm non-modular PSUs with cards longer than 200mm. ATX PSUs are not recommended due to limited room for long cables.
Take a look at ncases.com

I looked before I bought the PSU and it does fit the specs. The problem is not the specs, but the lead-in socket placement. And that's not written anywhere. Like "Warning! ATX PSUs with their lead-in close to the edge will have trouble fitting!"
Is there a way to replace the mains cable in M1? Or where can I buy an angled plug that bends in the other direction? I'll have the neighbor solder it for me (he's an electrician and owes me big time :))

I looked before I bought the PSU and it does fit the specs. The problem is not the specs, but the lead-in socket placement. And that's not written anywhere. Like "Warning! ATX PSUs with their lead-in close to the edge will have trouble fitting!"
Is there a way to replace the mains cable in M1? Or where can I buy an angled plug that bends in the other direction? I'll have the neighbor solder it for me (he's an electrician and owes me big time :))
It's true, it'd be useful to put that note in there. Though, prior to people actually finding it to be a problem, it wasn't something we could know. We couldn't exactly test dozens of different PSUs. I did ask for people to provide feedback about that in the spreadsheet. Edit: actually that was a different issue. But the more stuff checked, the better.

Replacing the cable is problematic, since it's a low-profile plug which are hard to come by. It'd probably be simpler just to use a different PSU.

You need a IEC320-C14 Male Panel Mount plug (this is the part that mounts to the back of the case) and IEC320-C13 Female Left Angle plug (they also make up and down angle but they are harder to find).

Edit: Like Necere said above, it also needs to be low-profile to clear the top panel

You need a IEC320-C14 Male Panel Mount plug (this is the part that mounts to the back of the case) and IEC320-C13 Female Left Angle plug (they also make up and down angle but they are harder to find).
The issue is that virtually all of the commonly available plugs are too tall. We went out of our way to source a plug that was low profile for the M1.

The only way it might work is to use some spacers to move the PSU down to allow some more room for the plug. But you might not have enough space before running into the top of the GPU (assuming a card >20cm long).

It may not be for the faint of heart, but on some psu's, the input power jack might be flippable to the opposite direction with some disassembly. That seems to be the easiest and cheapest route.

I attached an image to illustrate my problem. The cable should obviously come from the other direction but then it can't fit.

You need a "left angle" power cord extension.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31pve4C0reL._SX425_.jpg[/I

Amazon sells two that should work:
[URL="http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-P004-002-13LA-Angle-Extension/dp/B003N3FNBW/ref=sr_1_5"]Tripp Lite P004-002-13LA C13 Left Angle to C14 AC Power Extension Cable (2 Feet)[/URL]
[URL="http://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Power-Extension-10Amp/dp/B00B2C0KPK/ref=sr_1_6"]SF Cable, 18" IEC C14 to C13 Power Extension Cord 10Amp 250V 18/3 AWG Left Angle[/URL]

It should be possible to loop the extra 18"-24" worth of cable inside the case, or if you're capable with a soldering iron, you could solder the external socket to this cable and shorten it up.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
It may not be for the faint of heart, but on some psu's, the input power jack might be flippable to the opposite direction with some disassembly. That seems to be the easiest and cheapest route.
I believe you are correct. As long as you don't mind voiding your warranty and are handy enough with a soldering iron. This probably what I would do. But I've got a surplus of the left-hand plugs from a previous project. Either way, it is an easy fix.

..probably cheaper to either void the warranty on the one you got or replacing it by a different one that works.

Just looking at Newegg it seems the entire line of fanless PSUs from Silverstone will have this issue. The 500w Kingwin/Rosewill units have the port flipped the other way but they are both 10mm longer though if you are running short/no card it won't matter.

Inside look at a 460w Silverstone fanless unit: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-...anless-460W-Power-Supply-Review/Detailed-Look , flipping that port looks to be tricky.

Why don't you reverse the psu? If you can't for some reason, I don't think it will be a problem to change the socket or power cord so long as you are a handy person. Its just a power cord after all, nothing too fancy nor complicated.

Now that you are at it... you would be able to shorten it to your desired lenght. It would be perfect.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812120744

Like this one. Buy, cut it, and plug it inside the case. Done ;)

It's true, it'd be useful to put that note in there. Though, prior to people actually finding it to be a problem, it wasn't something we could know. We couldn't exactly test dozens of different PSUs.
It's not a problem that you didn't think of that in advance, because you thought of a gazillion other issues and solved them perfectly. But if you could put a warning on ncases.com NOW, that would make things clearer. At least for those who haven't invested in a PSU yet. BTW I still love the case despite of this issue.
Also you may provide two types of exchangeable plugs with the next version :)

Rotating (reversing) the ATX PSU 180º will just make the cable hit the left side instead of the right side. The same problem exists.

Which company sourced the very-low-profile right-angle plug used in the M1? Do they have a VLP left-angle plug as well that we could purchase?

Not really understanding the use of full sized psu's. Why not just use sfx and save the hassle ?

Both plugs are too high. You can't put the top of the case on with them.

From your photo, it looks like the ATX bracket sits lower in the case than the SFX bracket. Are you sure that the case top wouldn't close with one of these left-angle cables?

This isn't a commercial product. I think you're expecting a little too much. Most of us are DIY types.

You'll have a hard time finding a replacement cable, as they are low profile and aren't popular. I got one from silverstone, as they use them in some of their cases. The only other places I saw them were bulk orders from china. And they probably were the same orientation. The easiest thing for you to do, if you won't budge from using your full ATX PSU, is to open it up and turn around the socket. It's a seasonic PSU, you'll probably never need to use the warranty (they are my favorite supplies :) ). If you do do that, I suggest you make sure it's discharged fully.

Back