NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Let me field this one, as it will be useful more generally as an example of a method of determining fitment.

Thank you very much for the elaborate answer (and awesome case design!). It's greatly appreciated.

Following this logic, I conclude that the NH-C12 SE14 does not fit, as it has a distance to CPU center of 70mm towards the top with the heatpipes facing towards the rear. I suppose you can just outfit it with a smaller fan though.

Last edited:
I also got my tracking number a couple days back, but unfortunately it doesn't say anything about the package ever having left Taiwan yet... :(

On another note, due to that I don't game much, I can't justify a new graphics card just yet, so I'll be using my old one. Sadly, this card is a Asus 6970 DCII, which is a three-slot card that blows air into the case. While the case does support 'some' three-slot cards, does anyone know if this card will fit?

I am assuming, as well, that the Silverstone 450W SFX gold unit will be potent enough to power it, please correct me if this is a bad idea.

Also, until my case arrives I'll be running my components just, on the box, on my desk. It's gonna look hilarious. I'd use my existing case, but (un)fortunately a family member wants it, soon.

I also got my tracking number a couple days back, but unfortunately it doesn't say anything about the package ever having left Taiwan yet... :(

Mine the same. I guess there were no boats going to Rotterdam these last couple of weeks.

woo-hoo! Got tracking numbers for (2) going to ice cold Lake Minnetonka, MN (prince, purple rain, appolonia). really excited.

I asked this in another thread, but:

Can I use the 'dual' SSD mount behind the optical drive bay (front interior) with a 240mm radiator? Anyone tried this yet.

SSD's are both 7mm thick.

Kind of lost on the tracking situation. The website only legs me update my info, nothing about tracking numbers. Will I get an email when it's shipped? Has Early Shipment #2 gone out yet? Thanks.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the elaborate answer (and awesome case design!). It's greatly appreciated.

Following this logic, I conclude that the NH-C12 SE14 does not fit, as it has a distance to CPU center of 70mm towards the top with the heatpipes facing towards the rear. I suppose you can just outfit it with a smaller fan though.

The 140mm fan based on pictures I would assume Will fit in if you bias the fan toward the bottom of the case rather than centered. This is based on my interpretation of the clipping mechanism, but seems possible. I don't have one on hand.

A second concern I have is in the horizontal heat pipe orientation, with the ends of the pipes facing the PSU, will the bottom edge of the heatsink occlude with the PSU? I don't know the exact distance between the mobo and the PSU frame, but the distance from CPU centre to mobo edge is pretty close to the figure of 85mm for the Noctua C12 in that orientation. (this is also assuming you have already installed the Mobo power cable!)

woo-hoo! Got tracking numbers for (2) going to ice cold Lake Minnetonka, MN (prince, purple rain, appolonia). really excited.

MN here also.. the last update was on 11/7 with the package at the Taiwan sort facility, just like other members here. I am a part of the 2nd Priority list.

I can confirm my tracking is showing as of yesterday evening for a package being sent to Canada.

Mine the same. I guess there were no boats going to Rotterdam these last couple of weeks.

I think most are the same. Chances are our packages will arrive before the tracking is even updated.

Kind of lost on the tracking situation. The website only legs me update my info, nothing about tracking numbers. Will I get an email when it's shipped? Has Early Shipment #2 gone out yet? Thanks.

Within the shipping label box is where people's tracking numbers are being placed (probably by Wahaha360 manually). It may have already been shipped even if your tracking # isn't showing quite yet :)

I see they didn't manage to get those filters on their site at this week. I was in direct contact with them before and they said that they were trying to get them to the site at friday. Well, I believe that they should show up there next week. Sorry for false information.
no worries, i'll keep watching, i'm sure you'll let us know when they have them :D

The Demciflex filters will take a little longer. I went back and reworked the side filter so it's one-piece. The bottom filter... well, I'm still working on it. I've really made it difficult for myself with all the holes on the bottom, that's for sure. I also have a design to filter the intake on the ST45SF (both the bronze and gold version), which should fit between the PSU and side panel for those setting it to intake from that side.
Thanks for the info/update, will probably get some of these when they're available

Here is the latest word on the reservoirs.The following message is up on the FrozenQ web site: FrozenQ

"Due to a shop fire that destroyed a portion of our shop including our laser cutter, we will be closed until further notice. Tentatively we will be allowed back in and can resume partial operations Wednesday 11/13.
Orders for replacement parts: We can start shipping these Wednesday
Orders for reservoirs: Depending on stock, we can ship some orders. A lot of materials and premade parts were ruined.
Any orders for laser cut items: It looks like a new laser will not arrive for 4-6 weeks. We are working with a local company to try and complete these orders.
MCase reservoir orders: We are trying to stay on track with these, and will resume machining them on Wednesday. Tentative shipping date on these is 11/20."

It sounds like Alex is still trying to get the M1 reservoirs out despite the big problems he is facing as a result of the fire.
yeah that's a shame for sure, website says instock right now, so i think i'll go ahead and order one.

Thanks Necere, again giving a lot of insight :)
yeah, the ongoing support and help is excellent, and i think shows why this whole project has been so successful and widely anticipated, the work and commitment has been second to none, thank you

Well, this is what I have so far:

Dispatch from originating country's exchange office: Nov/07/2013 18:11
Office of destination FOREIGNCENTER JERSEYU.S.A.
Despatch No. 0026

Seems to be on the move :D

are you guys getting your shipping info off the ncase site after logging in?

Picked up my package today. Its been sitting at the post office since last Wednesday! :eek:
I was surprised that it reached my country so fast (Bermuda), it usually takes months for stuff to get here from Asia. I wasnt expecting this case until after Christmas and i have no parts for it. :eek:
Happy none the less. Big thanks wahaha & necere.

Does anyone know what has happened to this?

Z3sqjs6.jpg

The panels also don't quite fit together properly on that case. Swapping the panels with the black case (which is perfect) gives the same result, so it appears to be the chassis :(

So does anybody if a MSI TF Gaming 760 / 770 or a Asus 760 Direct CUII OC willl fit with the side panel?! (The MSI seems to have a standard PCB, but wider cooler. The ASUS has also a wider PCB)

Well, for those interested, my tracking just updated to this a minute ago:

"International item has left originating country and is en route to Canada."

I guess only a week or 2 left to wait :D Or maybe they just updated the website and it's already closer then we think. I check directly on canadapost.ca

I guess only a week or 2 left to wait :D

Where did you see that information? Mine just says "Dispatch from originating country's exchange office" but I'm not entirely sure that means its on its way yet.
Edit: Didn't notice you said Canadapost

Long time lurker here (don't bite me :) ). First of all, thanks to Necere, Wahaha360, and this amazing community that has developed around the M1.

I’m trying to figure out how watercooling works with this case. It looks like many people are going to use the H220, possibly adding a GPU loop. This seems like a good idea with the M1, the GPU is the largest heat source by far in the case, and the loop should make exhausting all that heat more efficient (and thus quieter).

My concern is the reservoir orientation of the H220 and its location in reference to the pump integrated into the CPU waterblock.

Since the reservoir is integrated into the radiator in the H220, I would think the orientation of the assembly would matter. The radiator should drain into the loop, correct? Does the connection between the reservoir and the radiator enable this flow when it’s mounted horizontally in the M1?

To visualize, look at this image from the Swiftech site (this is for a different product, but I think it still should help illustrate my concern): http://www.swiftech.com/images/product_pages/MCR-Drive-r2/rev2-orientationsx354x929.jpg

When mounted in the horizontal location it indicates that either the setup needs an external reservoir (presumably because the internal one won’t drain properly into the loop in that orientation) or that it’s potentially unsafe (presumably because in that orientation the pump is higher than the radiator).

I think depending on the H220 design, we may have the former problem, and we also have the latter problem, since the pump is integrated into the CPU waterblock, and thus ends up being mounted fairly high in the case relative to the reservoir.

My gut feeling is that the H220 isn’t ideal at all. But since I’m a total n00b with all of this, I assume I’m missing something with my logic. :) So could someone help me clear up what I’ve got wrong here?

Has anyone that is from the US who was on the early shipment list received a tracking number?

I guess only a week or 2 left to wait :D Or maybe they just updated the website and it's already closer then we think. I check directly on canadapost.ca

Fellow Canadian here and I got the update that the package is in Vancouver on its way here (Ontario). This is from the IPost website.

I just want to take this opportunity to also give props to everyone involved in creating this case and the community for sharing all the information.

Has anyone that is from the US who was on the early shipment list received a tracking number?

I'm on Early list 1 in California, and I show a tracking number on the ncase website. No status other than Taiwan on Nov 7th though.

Fellow Canadian here and I got the update that the package is in Vancouver on its way here (Ontario). This is from the IPost website.

I just want to take this opportunity to also give props to everyone involved in creating this case and the community for sharing all the information.

Ohhh nice, my guess might be true then, let's hope they're all in the same boat :p

Edit: Are you on Despatch No.0023 on iPOST website?

Yes, USA - MA - but it just says Nov 7 - Taiwan sort facility.

I am pretty sure the "early shipment list" is completely irrelevant at this point and that destination Country and whatever packages the Taiwan post office happened to grab and throw on a truck is the determining factor for delivery.

I saw that too. I think I misread it the first time as well as being IN Vancouver. I think it just means that it is now en route to Vancouver.

I saw that too. I think I misread it the first time as well as being IN Vancouver. I think it just means that it is now en route to Vancouver.

Your right. I just got a bit too excited. I have a few parts already and I am waiting for deals to get the rest.

When is the international M1 convention going to take place? or was that just me typing out loud?

Can I use the 'dual' SSD mount behind the optical drive bay (front interior) with a 240mm radiator? Anyone tried this yet.

Not with the H220 rad, but it's 285mm long. Typical 240 CLC rads are ~275mm long, but the answer is still 'maybe' until someone tests and makes certain one way or another.

Does anyone know what has happened to this?

The panels also don't quite fit together properly on that case. Swapping the panels with the black case (which is perfect) gives the same result, so it appears to be the chassis :(
Wow, that's a mess. Are those splotches set into the panel? Looks like something got messed up in the anodizing process. Did the package look like it had been opened before you got it? Regardless, you should contact w360 about it.

Contact Necere directly through PM, he'll be able to assist you.
Shipping/order related issues should go to w360. I don't have access to anyone's shipping details or anything. The most I can do is refer people to w360.

I should mention that last I talked to him, he was coming down with something. If he takes longer to respond, that's probably why.

So does anybody if a MSI TF Gaming 760 / 770 or a Asus 760 Direct CUII OC willl fit with the side panel?! (The MSI seems to have a standard PCB, but wider cooler. The ASUS has also a wider PCB)
Compare the specs of the card to the "size restrictions and recommendations" on ncases.com.

My concern is the reservoir orientation of the H220 and its location in reference to the pump integrated into the CPU waterblock.
I installed the pump with the inlet facing up, so at least part of the radiator sits above the pump. I think it may only be a concern if you don't have the inlet facing up, or if the socket location is high on the board. But even then, it may work fine once the loop is properly filled and bled (which you could place the case on its side for, and thus guarantee the rad being above the pump).

Shipping/order related issues should go to w360. I don't have access to anyone's shipping details or anything. The most I can do is refer people to w360.
My appologies, I assumed you would do the assessment of any issues and take it up with Wahaha360 from there. Maybe this is something that could/should be included on the website ? A FAQ button or atleast a Contact button.

Didnt work for me with Kuhler 1220 which has basically same rad as H100. It was very close though, few mm and I had the rads tubing on the other end.

EDIT:

Now that Im thinking I used the rubber thingies that are some what thickish between the ssd and panel. Maybe without them..

Long time lurker here (don't bite me :) ). First of all, thanks to Necere, Wahaha360, and this amazing community that has developed around the M1.

I’m trying to figure out how watercooling works with this case. It looks like many people are going to use the H220, possibly adding a GPU loop. This seems like a good idea with the M1, the GPU is the largest heat source by far in the case, and the loop should make exhausting all that heat more efficient (and thus quieter).

Since the reservoir is integrated into the radiator in the H220, I would think the orientation of the assembly would matter. The radiator should drain into the loop, correct? Does the connection between the reservoir and the radiator enable this flow when it’s mounted horizontally in the M1?

To visualize, look at this image from the Swiftech site (this is for a different product, but I think it still should help illustrate my concern): http://www.swiftech.com/images/product_pages/MCR-Drive-r2/rev2-orientationsx354x929.jpg

When mounted in the horizontal location it indicates that either the setup needs an external reservoir (presumably because the internal one won’t drain properly into the loop in that orientation) or that it’s potentially unsafe (presumably because in that orientation the pump is higher than the radiator).

I think depending on the H220 design, we may have the former problem, and we also have the latter problem, since the pump is integrated into the CPU waterblock, and thus ends up being mounted fairly high in the case relative to the reservoir.

My gut feeling is that the H220 isn’t ideal at all. But since I’m a total n00b with all of this, I assume I’m missing something with my logic. :) So could someone help me clear up what I’ve got wrong here?

There is a "slight" difference. Lets include the image:

rev2-orientationsx354x929.jpg

This image refers to the fact that a line of Swiftech products have not only the reservoir as part of their rad but, ALSO, their pump. So, its not recommended to run the pumps on such position UNLESS you know how to feed them water when you are filling up your loop.

The problem is that the pumps used on a computer watercooling setup do not suck, they only push, which means that you need to have water on them all the time if you want to make such thing work. So, because the pump in such position has no change to get water when filling up (unless you turn upside down your computer, that is) its not recommended to do so because you could burn the pump.

I hope I clarified.

PS: the h220 has the pump on the cpu block, not on the rad. So, its different. Rad position doesn't really matter.

Has anyone on the east coast US received their tracking numbers yet?

Just wondering if I'm the only one who didn't. :p

Last edited:
Back