NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I'm keeping the silver one as well. It's even more stunning in person. Not to say the black color isn't - it's pretty slick!. We just never expected the silver to look this good, maybe it's the contrast (on black interior), but oh my, it's something special.

I had some people over the past weekend. I left silver prototype 2 on top of my refrigerator to clear out some space in the apt, every person who pass the refrigerator ask about it, even the girls.

drool silver:)
drool girls :)

I'm keeping the silver one as well. It's even more stunning in person. Not to say the black color isn't - it's pretty slick!. We just never expected the silver to look this good, maybe it's the contrast (on black interior), but oh my, it's something special.

I had some people over the past weekend. I left silver prototype 2 on top of my refrigerator to clear out some space in the apt, every person who pass the refrigerator ask about it, even the girls.

Yeah, I've never liked silver stuff.... except when you showed the proto with silver pannels.

Fuck I should have gotten some silver pannels :mad: :mad: :mad:

Silver brushed aluminum cases were all the rage 10-15 years ago. I had a couple. Got it out of my system. Can't say I'd really want another one. They don't stand the test of time like good ol' black does.

Still trying to get this custom loop figured out. Wisk suggested the Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm raditaor. The dimensions are very close to the H220.
ST30 - 278mm x 125mm x 30mm
H220 - 269mm x 128mm x 29mm
The ST30 is looking a bit longer though, anyone have any idea if this will be a issue? Or does anyone have other suggestions for a radiator ?

Still trying to get this custom loop figured out. Wisk suggested the Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm raditaor. The dimensions are very close to the H220.
ST30 - 278mm x 125mm x 30mm
H220 - 269mm x 128mm x 29mm
The ST30 is looking a bit longer though, anyone have any idea if this will be a issue? Or does anyone have other suggestions for a radiator ?
If you look at the H220 drawing it's 285mm including the swivel barbs. The ST30 shouldn't be a problem. Most 240mm rads are in the 275-280mm range.

If you look at the H220 drawing it's 285mm including the swivel barbs. The ST30 shouldn't be a problem. Most 240mm rads are in the 275-280mm range.

Gotcha, thanks Necere! I'm really stoked to get the water cooling figured out! I changed my mind yet again.
CPU Block - Apogee II
GPU block - EVGA or Heatkiller
Rad - ST30
Res - Adamatium External
I think that about does it water cooling wise. I figured that full cover block would be cool for the Asus Impact but adding more heat to a already stressed cooling system may not be the best idea, and then having to find a place for a stand alone pump.
Anyways thanks for your help Wisk/Necere!

Hey guys, been following this thread and the project for months now and only summoned the courage to register to post in the forums :)

I can't wait for my M1 to arrive at my doorstep, here in Australia, and I hope everything goes well for everyone vested in this awesome project.

By the way, NCERE, I'm sorry for calling you out at /g/. I was just a little butthurt about hearing my EVGA GTX 680 Classified wouldn't fit. I've downsized to a plain 'ol MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr III OC. I even made $200 profit selling my EVGA GTX 680 (bought it for $400, sold it for $600), so thanks :D

Silver brushed aluminum cases were all the rage 10-15 years ago. I had a couple. Got it out of my system. Can't say I'd really want another one. They don't stand the test of time like good ol' black does.

Well my black SG06 can't stand the dust of time and it's sitting here flecked with white specks of dust which would have been almost invisible if it's silver. Can't be bothered to clean it every week.

I've downsized to a plain 'ol MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr III OC.
Enjoy your housefire and remember to post in guts threads to rustle some jimmies. :)

...rustle some jimmies. :)

rustled-full-on.png

Hey guys, been following this thread and the project for months now and only summoned the courage to register to post in the forums :)

I can't wait for my M1 to arrive at my doorstep, here in Australia, and I hope everything goes well for everyone vested in this awesome project.

By the way, NCERE, I'm sorry for calling you out at /g/. I was just a little butthurt about hearing my EVGA GTX 680 Classified wouldn't fit. I've downsized to a plain 'ol MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr III OC. I even made $200 profit selling my EVGA GTX 680 (bought it for $400, sold it for $600), so thanks :D
Seriously guys, if you post on 4chan don't publicize it on other forums. I'm a tripfag there and it would be horrible if people ever put two and two together and associated all the shit I've said there with the person I am in real life. I'm sure the same is true for many of you. ;)

Also the Twin Frozr 560 TI I've got is a pile of buggy overheating shit. Thanks MSI!

Seriously guys, if you post on 4chan don't publicize it on other forums. I'm a tripfag there and it would be horrible if people ever put two and two together and associated all the shit I've said there with the person I am in real life. I'm sure the same is true for many of you. ;)
>tripfag
But anyway, I got chased out of /g/ because I wouldn't install Gentoo (that and I said I liked Windows 8.1) :mad:

I don't post there much anymore, I'm more of a resident poster at overclockers.com.au. I was perusing the SFF sub forum I manged read up in the NCASE M1 thread. That's how I found out about this magnificent enclosure :)

Also the Twin Frozr 560 TI I've got is a pile of buggy overheating shit. Thanks MSI!
I haven't any issues with my GTX 680. It runs cooler than any of my other GPUs thus far (all reference blower coolers) and since I got it for only $230 (even before the GTX 780 was announced), I can't complain too much.

Last edited:
>tripfag
But anyway, I got chased out of /g/ because I wouldn't install Gentoo (that and I said I liked Windows 8.1) :mad:
I normally don't say this, but you deserved/asked for everything you got. Should have lurked more.

Ordered ! Thanks again adamatium and FrozenQ! The anticipation for this build is killing me.

Frosted would be for the reservoir (replace the acetal), the front would remain clear.

Update: Alex says that the frosted Acrylic has to be machined very slowly and is a pain. He says that he can list it if enough want it, but that its price would be higher.

How much higher would the price be? How many people does he need interested?

How much higher would the price be? How many people does he need interested?

I just back to my email and Alex says the cost would be $79.99 for acrylic. No minimums or group orders required. The option is now available on the web site.

Last edited:
With regard to international shipping, Alex mentioned some additional options. He will most likely address these himself on the forum. I don't want to speak for him since I don't have the details.

.....CPU Block - Apogee II
GPU block - EVGA or Heatkiller
Rad - ST30
Res - Adamatium External
I think that about does it water cooling wise.....

What about fittings? Just curious as I am going to run a similar configuration and am unexperienced in watercooling... With the prices of some at 5 or 6 bucks and then jumping to 12-18 bucks I just have no idea- I'm sure I'm gonna f it up and be waiting with everything ready for that last pair of rotary 90's I should've ordered.

wait did i miss the chance to buy the res?

No you probably just missed the link. Just go to http://frozenqshop.gostorego.com/m1-ncase-reservoir.html, or go to frozenqshop.gostorego.com and search for ncase or m1 and you will be able to order, frosted acrylic or two colors of acetal. Alex reports that he has the reservoir in a real loop with Mayhem pearlescence fluid and it works great. Will have the video soon.

Just an FYI, for anyone planning to add an optical drive to their M1..

I've been speaking with Brian at Digistor (an authorized Panasonic dealer) about slot-load DVD & Bluray drives for the M1, and he may be able to offer a discount coupon for Hardforum members if there's enough people interested in purchasing from them (though, I'm sure that will largely depend on how good of a discount he's willing to offer). They're US-based, but also offer international shipping, and they are in good standing w/the BBB and have excellent feedback.

If anyone's interested, I'll be sure to post more details if he decides to offer any deals for us.

media.nl

No you probably just missed the link. Just go to http://frozenqshop.gostorego.com/m1-ncase-reservoir.html, or go to frozenqshop.gostorego.com and search for ncase or m1 and you will be able to order, frosted acrylic or two colors of acetal. Alex reports that he has the reservoir in a real loop with Mayhem pearlescence fluid and it works great. Will have the video soon.

sweet, any idea if this is a limited item? kinda tapped out on cash atm.

I've been speaking with Brian at Digistor (an authorized Panasonic dealer) about slot-load DVD & Bluray drives for the M1, and he may be able to offer a discount coupon for Hardforum members if there's enough people interested in purchasing from them (though, I'm sure that will largely depend on how good of a discount he's willing to offer). They're US-based, but also offer international shipping, and they are in good standing w/the BBB and have excellent feedback.

If anyone's interested, I'll be sure to post more details if he decides to offer any deals for us.

media.nl

i am definately interested. i have two slot load ondy dvd buners but owuld much prefer a blue ray! are we sure this will fit?

What about fittings? Just curious as I am going to run a similar configuration and am unexperienced in watercooling... With the prices of some at 5 or 6 bucks and then jumping to 12-18 bucks I just have no idea- I'm sure I'm gonna f it up and be waiting with everything ready for that last pair of rotary 90's I should've ordered.

I've been there, needed two 90s and they took weeks to arrive, and then one of them was the wrong size (but in the right box). Luckily when I contacted Monsoon the owner himself apologised and overnighted me the correct fitting.

Before all these expensive anodised fittings we have recently, we used to use plastic barbs and clamps. Might be a good option to do this, and then replace with pretty fittings later when you're sure what you need.

I am defiantly interested in a bluray optical drive price pending.

Wisk in I were discussing this in the M1 build thread. He made the point that 3/8"-5/8" tubing would be good for the case because of the tight bends. The thicker tubing will be less likely to kink and looks good. As far as fitting specifics I'm still not sure. Compression fitting are my favorite but they are rather bulky. I did find these low profile compression fittings that seems nice and may save a bit of space.

Edit: Sidewinder has the chrome ones for a dollar cheaper as well.
Chrome low profile compression fittings
Dam the 90 degree fittings are spendy.

Last edited:

media.nl

Mark me down for also being interested in a DVD drive. Maybe even a Blu Ray drive depending on how expensive it is.

media.nl

Is that model a BlueRay and a dvd player? If it is I'm def interested. :D

I'd be quite interested in a DVD drive, and as said, maybe even a Blu-Ray if it isn't terribly expensive. Do you, AFD, have any idea what the drive costs prior to any discount?

media.nl

If this would be good for the UJ-265 BDR drive I'd definitely be interested.

Blu-ray, OSX compatible (either native, or with straight forward kext/driver install), with a fair price shipped to Australia, and I will be purchasing.

I will need to look into compatibility for models with OSX.

Without pinning you down on any price, Completely understanding that its subject to a final decision, do we have a ball pack figure of the expected price? (and shipping)

media.nl

Me too, me too, Blue Ray drive if they ship to Canada at a decent shipping price.

Blu-ray, OSX compatible (either native, or with straight forward kext/driver install), with a fair price shipped to Australia, and I will be purchasing.

I will need to look into compatibility for models with OSX.

Without pinning you down on any price, Completely understanding that its subject to a final decision, do we have a ball pack figure of the expected price? (and shipping)

Most slot-load BDR drives are compatible out of the box with OSX for data, but none will work for video without third party software like this: http://www.macblurayplayer.com/ or resulting to ripping your movies to disk and playing back locally.

If the discount/deal falls through you can always find drives on ebay, some popular models to watch for are the Panasonic UJ-265, Hitachi/LG CA40N (or the older CA30N) or the Sony Optiarc BC-5640H.

media.nl

I would also be very interested in this. I've been on the look out for a good drive to buy for my M1, specifically a Bluray drive.

media.nl

Extremely interested. I'll need a DVD drive. :p

Anyone else take a look at the 290x's power usage. Holy crap! Also, temps at load reaching 95c in a tiny M1 seems like a terrible idea.
I guess if we water cool this beast that may be a different story entirely.
Cudos to AMD for the price/performance though, pretty impressive in itself. Hopefully this pushes the green team to release a more competitively priced card. One with better efficiency then current cards for us using them in sff systems :) I really want to see this card water cooled but I still believe we would be pushing the poor ST45SF-G 450W to its limits regardless with the 290x.

1382088059a47QS23bNQ_15_1.gif

1382088059a47QS23bNQ_15_2.gif

Back