NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

heading to Taiwan this weekend to ship.

I can't hold everyone up for the few that didn't complete their info.

Safe travel. I checked my shipping info again to make sure it was all up to date. Thanks again! :)

heading to Taiwan this weekend to ship.

I can't hold everyone up for the few that didn't complete their info.

Have a nice travel ;)

By the way, I got another e-mail regarding how to properly fill the shipping label information. HOWEVER, in my experience receiving stuff from all over the world I've always used this "code":

NAME
ADRESS
CITY
POSTAL CODE/REGION
COUNTRY

Note that the postal-code comes AFTER the city, but BEFORE the region. I'm saying this because I have yet to lose anything that was shipped to me (and I've got stuff sent from Japan, China, USA, Europe and so on).

Also, that I know, there are 2 ways of properly formatting a phone number:

a) (00country-code) phone-number
b) +country-code phone number.

I've always used the former, because people that handle phone numbers know how codes work (since you are giving them the international part separated from the national one and, also, because if they ever get to call you it will be on YOUR DESTINATION CUSTOM OFFICE... which will be in your country, and will be a national call.

Also, keep in mind that the final phone code depends on what you are using to make such call, IE, it ain't the same to use a land-line from the USA to (say) Spain, than using a land-line from Europe to Spain OR to use a mobile phone from wherever to Spain.

All in all I'm asking because I guess that everybody who updated their profile already will have such information sent to the proper courier... BUT, what If I update my shipping information, say, now? Will it delay the shipping in any sorts?

Two emails were sent regarding login information. The first email was the original login info, a second email was sent out with new login info. So the first email with login info is no longer valid. Check your spam/junk folder for the second email. This was sent a while back, so hopefully you have luck finding it.

Anyone else having troubles logging into the NCASE site to update their information?

Anyone else having troubles logging into the NCASE site to update their information?
Yes, the site doesn't appear to be Linux friendly, the login box won't stay up on Firefox although it's OK in Chrome.

Also the original password was replaced a couple of days later after the problem they had, I made the mistake of initially trying the first password and wondering why it didn't work, I found the working password in one of the subsequent emails.

I personally don't give a shit about anyone's priority status if they're not enthused enough to regularly follow updates until the day their case is in hand.
Nice attitude, and by nice I really mean contemptible. The backers took a risk and paid their money, they fulfilled their part of the deal already.

Nobody should be expected to check their email daily because of arbitrary requirements imposed by a seller, if a professional retailer pulled this kind of thing with pre-orders there would be outrage across the internet. Mon to Fri is not a reasonable time frame at all, even without the technical hitch Mon-Sun would be pushing it. Aside from folk on vacation with their families, I can think of several very hard working people I know who are regularly away from email access for weeks and even months at a time. Not to mention all the servicemen and women stationed overseas, I know lots of [H] members are amongst them and I can't believe they all have 24/7 email access either.

Necere and w360 can be afforded some slack because it's difficult to organise something like this for the first time, but this update request was ill considered and poorly executed. I hope nobody ends up disappointed because of this.

Necere and w360 can be afforded some slack because it's difficult to organise something like this for the first time, but this update request was ill considered and poorly executed. I hope nobody ends up disappointed because of this.
Just for clarity - I have no involvement with the orders, website, or shipping. My responsibility was to the design and testing of the case, and to that end I consider my job essentially complete. It's up to w360 to get these things shipped to you guys.

Just for clarity - I have no involvement with the orders, website, or shipping. My responsibility was to the design and testing of the case, and to that end I consider my job essentially complete. It's up to w360 to get these things shipped to you guys.

It is on me.

If you like your package earlier, I need the info now.

If you don't mind waiting until Jan 2014 - the default delivery date, no rush.

It's a matter of preference.

Just for clarity...
Sorry, I didn't want to criticise either you or w360 as strongly as my above post. I appreciate the time and effort you both put into this, it's AFD's attitude that I find particularly offensive.

I updated my profile to reflect the phone number with the +34 before of it. Lets hope I did it on time and thus my case gets here any time this year ;)

Cheers, and keep it up.

Nice attitude, and by nice I really mean contemptible. The backers took a risk and paid their money, they fulfilled their part of the deal already.

Nobody should be expected to check their email daily because of arbitrary requirements imposed by a seller, if a professional retailer pulled this kind of thing with pre-orders there would be outrage across the internet. Mon to Fri is not a reasonable time frame at all, even without the technical hitch Mon-Sun would be pushing it. Aside from folk on vacation with their families, I can think of several very hard working people I know who are regularly away from email access for weeks and even months at a time. Not to mention all the servicemen and women stationed overseas, I know lots of [H] members are amongst them and I can't believe they all have 24/7 email access either.

Sorry it's your post that is coming off ill considered and contemptible. The fact is no one should be expected to check their email. But no one should get pissed if they missed out on something because they didn't check it. W360 should have to call each backer up and tell them hey you have mail to look at. How is not looking at your email any different then missing a jury duty summons or a bill because you waited two weeks to check them mail. How is not handing off duties when going away like tracking and keeping updated about a $200 backing of community project that doesn't have some set time line like Newegg or Amazon fall on anyone but the purchaser. Email in these kind of transactions among many others is the #1 form of contact and honestly should be treated like leaving a voice-mail. Specially in this day an age where in most countries is available on most peoples phones.

Hell it's not like anyone is talking about not receiving a product. It's about people that have been involved for nearly a year and should know better not getting their early bird special because they didn't stay up to date. Sure it could have had a larger window, it would have been nice. But I think your expectation of your responsibility as a backer while might even be the goal of W360 and Necere, isn't realistic.

Sorry, I didn't want to criticise either you or w360 as strongly as my above post. I appreciate the time and effort you both put into this, it's AFD's attitude that I find particularly offensive.

No offense taken. It hasn't been smooth and I take full responsibility.

I'm taking a calculated risk by dumping the easier plan - have everything shipped to the USA then shipped to backers.

Shipping from Taiwan and holiday season came last minute because I got a lot of emails about duty.

About half of our backers are in high duty countries. I want to try and deliver "gift" packages during holiday season.

I'm sure some people are not $ or time sensitive, but I'm going to try.

If it doesn't work, Necere can always fire me in Jan 2014 ;) and the package should arrive by then if my plan doesn't work out.

Two emails were sent regarding login information. The first email was the original login info, a second email was sent out with new login info. So the first email with login info is no longer valid. Check your spam/junk folder for the second email. This was sent a while back, so hopefully you have luck finding it.

Ya I was able to login and update the information the first time around last week but seem to be unable to login again to double check the information to make this shipping.

wahaha360 - is there a way to reset the password or see if the account is locked?

Ya I was able to login and update the information the first time around last week but seem to be unable to login again to double check the information to make this shipping.

wahaha360 - is there a way to reset the password or see if the account is locked?

did you get the second, newer email with login info? people were saying it went to their spam box.

Nice attitude, and by nice I really mean contemptible.

Nice way to pick apart my quote, leaving out the part where I said that I also appreciate the original proto backers, and then where I explained that anyone holding up the process for W360 doesn't do any good for anyone, priority backer or not. Tell me, what is the difference if W360 would wait around for another month until everyone updates their shipping, or if he starts shipping early for those that did? The person not updating their shipping info would still get their shipment later in either scenario.

I appreciate the time and effort you both put into this, it's AFD's attitude that I find particularly offensive.

Lol, your entire post is offensive, and basically insulted W360 for all of his effort and hard work in trying to get these all out to us in a timely manner.

EDIT: And BTW, I just now got the IGG update showing the recommended shipping format. Mine is close, but not exact.. so I may get it early, or I may get it late. Since this isn't an exact science, let's all just roll with it and hope for the best. As long as I get my case eventually, I'll be happy =)

Last edited:
...basically insulted W360 for all of his effort and hard work in trying to get these all out to us in a timely manner.

No offense taken, honestly.

I can't speak for Necere, but if it wasn't for all the criticisms, I wouldn't have gotten this far.

After a day of work, it's really easy to get lazy and just let things slide. Criticisms give me the motivation that I desperately need to push myself.

At the beginning of this project, there were doubts. I read all the negative comments while manufacturers rejected this idea.

All the criticisms and rejections lit a fire inside me to push forward.

I actually don't find this project stressful, this is what I do for fun and it's a source of relieve for me from all the stressful things in NYC.

If anything, keep the criticisms coming, it's the fuel that keeps me going :)

Sorry it's your post...
I stand by my comments and criticism of the attitude. I say again, the backers already fulfilled their part of the deal, they already supplied their address at the time of payment. It's really doesn't matter if you are Amazon, one guy on Craigslist, or a handful of people running a crowdfunded project: once you take money on the promise to deliver something you should do everything you can to fulfil the promise. If you make a mistake you should do what you can to make good, what you shouldn't do is blame the customer and pretend your obligation doesn't matter. Encouraging the latter for selfish reasons is really out of order.

I can see why the buyer side update makes w360's job more manageable, and I've no doubt he's working very hard to get as many orders possible shipped a.s.a.p. The timing has been less than ideal, and compounded by the data loss, but that is understandable and forgiveable because it's just one person. However, it doesn't void the promise made to those who backed early and they should not be arbitrarily disregarded. It's a smaller scale, but this situation is not so different than the Ouya backers not receiving their consoles until long after retail units were in stores.

It's clear now that w360's timetable is fixed based on travel to Taiwan. If that weren't the case I would say that if there is anyone missing from the first 300 priority backers I would expect w360 to check the address labels based on the Paypal addresses, fill them out himself and delay a few days until the priority list is complete. As it stands I assume he will just fill as many late updates as possible.

No offense taken
thanks, I apologise again for the harshness that wasn't intended for you

Last edited:
Lol, your entire post is offensive, and basically insulted W360 for all of his effort and hard work in trying to get these all out to us in a timely manner.

It came across to me the same way. One thing I hate is when some selfish bastard lumps my military service in with their rant, as if I would feel the same way as them.

I'm so dang excited. :)
Am I reading this delivery schedule from Taiwan Postal correctly?
http://www.post.gov.tw/post/internet/u_english/postal_f_6.jsp

4-5 days shipping to USA, plus customs and typical USA postal delivery, should get mine to me before Thanksgiving. Pinch me. Do I have this right?

I thought they originally said it would be shipping by sea due to cost...

I'm hoping, (I know slim chance) that some of those who missed the update email a few days ago might lose their early shipping option and that somehow by chance, even as a latecomer, you might ship mine earlier.... it's not really a criticism- I could change my tone and make it so.....only if that'd help of course!

Anyway, I updated, so if you have a spare case to send to me in Vermont when you are in Taiwan, please don't hesitate! It will arrive at a good, truly loving home with a slew of nice new components ready to be carefully packed into it:)

yeah thats just waiting for a lawsuit. what correspondence do you have with lian li about this? lian li makes numerous new cases every year, whats to stop them from just designing their own case with a similar layout but in their style?

No offense taken, honestly.

I can't speak for Necere, but if it wasn't for all the criticisms, I wouldn't have gotten this far.

After a day of work, it's really easy to get lazy and just let things slide. Criticisms give me the motivation that I desperately need to push myself.

At the beginning of this project, there were doubts. I read all the negative comments while manufacturers rejected this idea.

All the criticisms and rejections lit a fire inside me to push forward.

I actually don't find this project stressful, this is what I do for fun and it's a source of relieve for me from all the stressful things in NYC.

guilty. :/ that was my first post on this thread, the 3rd post overall. i wish i could claim to have had the foresight, perseverance, and optimism w360 had when he started. what started out as w360's crazy, hairbrained scheme evolved (quite rapidly) into a polished, practical, and innovative case that is currently being shipped to customers in barely over a year. throughout that time i've followed this thread daily, and been nothing but impressed with W360 (and Necere) the whole way. i am amazed at the work they've done and the responsibility they've taken for this project from start to finish. i only wish i'd had a use for one so i could buy one of my own. anyway, great work guys, and i hope you make more cases in the future! maybe you'll come up with one i can make use of (itx server hint hint). ;)

Haven't been here a whole lot of time, but I just saw the new updates W360 and Necere put up and I gotta thank both them.

W360, thank you for making the shipping and logistics of actually putting the M1 in our hands quick and as painless as possible.

Necere, thank you for possibly making the best SFF case I have ever seen.

It'll be an honor to start my very first build in the M1.

Thanks guys :)

I thought they originally said it would be shipping by sea due to cost...

Think it was originally planned to have all of the cases shipped by boat from Taiwan to W360 in New York, then out to backers from there. In the past month or 2, W360 found that it would be potentially easier & quicker for him to fly to Taiwan, and assist w/the logistics company that are now shipping them straight to backers from there (doing so might also save backers on duty, if I'm not mistaken).

@ IanM. I apologize if my attitude came across as offensive. It's just my opinion.. no matter how right, wrong or shitty it may be. I truly hope that everyone will get their M1 before the end of January, and hopefully the majority of priority backers get theirs earlier than expected.

Oct 21st here, so 38 days until Thanksgiving.
(I bet I'll have them before then)
wahaha360 headin' to Taiwan this week. definitely gotta be up to something good :)
wonderful work and so very exciting to be a small part of it.
Got a black one and 1 of ??? silver ones coming. woot

Last edited:
Damn, man's going all the way to Taiwan to personally see things get done. Very bold, I like it, good luck.

I guess I should start rounding up a parts list for this bad boy.

BTW I just added country and phone number line to my address label, now that they're not being shipped from NYC. Fingers crossed things will be fine.

Got a black one and 1 of 36 silver ones coming. woot

1 of 36?! I knew I should've ordered a silver as well.... money was tight when I had the chance to order and I definitely had to have a black m1, but man I wish there was one more silver available..... just n case it worked better on my desk- probably will never know now..

About half of our backers are in high duty countries. I want to try and deliver "gift" packages during holiday season.

If you are talking about Europe, then if the value is over 22 euro, then the recipient is still legally obliged to pay sales tax (and import duty too for goods over 150 euro). It doesn't matter if you mark it as gift or not. Moreover, if you mark the value of the goods as under 22 euro and it's a largish 15 pound box from Taiwan, they will investigate in order to determine the true value of the goods. That will mean a delay and the package will be held up. If it's determined that the "gift" and low value were intended to deceive, i.e. on purpose to avoid tax, then it's fraud and the recipient of the package can face a fine and the tax too. If you don't want to pay the fine, you have to waive your rights to the package.

I obviously have no statistics of how many "gift" packages make it through and how many get caught. But I personally would rather you just attach an invoice of 149.99 euro or less (whatever dollar value the case itself is), mark the package as aluminium computer case, so that it's processed quickly and legally.

Edit: from the Dutch customs page http://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/w...n_bij_invoer_betalen_zo_ja_hoe_bereken_ik_dat
Overtreding strafbaar

De Douane en andere overheidsdiensten controleren of u zich aan deze regels houdt. Houdt u zich niet aan deze regels? Dan bent u strafbaar en kunt u worden vervolgd. Eventueel worden goederen in beslag genomen.

Translation:

Violation is punishable

The Customs and other governments make sure you adhere to these rules. Do not you stick to these rules? Then you have committed a criminal offense and can be prosecuted. Goods can be seized.

Last edited:
thing I hate... ...way as them
It's a valid example, and I'd like to point out while you may not feel this way, others do feel frustrated by poor service for exactly this reason, and you have no idea to the extent this affects me either. I actually just wanted to give a mundane and a more serious example of why people don't check their email frequently, I could just as easily have cited serious illness as the serious example, but I'm sure someone else would've taken exception to that instead of you taking exception to this. FYI I didn't respond out of selfish reasons, my order is right near the bottom of the queue (for silver, order #597 or #598) and I'm not on the priority shipping list. I posted out of a genuine concern that the prototype backers should get their reward of receiving their cases before anyone else. If anyone doubts my sincerity I'm sure w360 can easily confirm my order number & non priority status by checking my screen name against #597 - #598.

Last edited:
..how many get caught....
I think the outright confiscation tends to be reserved for serious offences, I have had improperly declared goods held and received a phone call asking for the real value and if I could provide an invoice. Definitely a delay of 1-2 weeks because of this.

You can probably get away with a plausible low value, say $75-$100 and pay less tax rather than none, but any lost or damaged parcels won't be claimable against the postal/courier insurance. It's rolling the dice a bit really.

I think for gifts the customs agents inspecting parcels will also tend to expect some personal correspondence to be enclosed, like a greetings card.

...if you mark the value of the goods as under 22 euro and it's a largish 15 pound box from Taiwan...

I take risks, but I'm not crazy and I don't think Customs agents are stupid either.

...I personally would rather you just...mark the package as aluminium computer case, so that it's processed quickly and legally.

I...say $75-$100...expect some personal correspondence to be enclosed, like a greetings card.

M1 is a package, it is a combination of 1) donation, 2) NCASES.com membership and 3) M1 product

$5 Donation
$90 1 year www.ncases.com membership
$90 Product

I'm leaning towards $90 value, but it's not final.

My only gripe here is that I didn't buy more than two. Dammit...Dammit...DAMMIT! I could make some serious money off of ebay if I had. :D

Seriously though, Necere, Wahaha, I appreciate everything you guys have done and are currently doing. Get my cases earlier than expected? BONUS!! If not, no biggie.

I stand by my comments and criticism of the attitude. I say again, the backers already fulfilled their part of the deal, they already supplied their address at the time of payment. It's really doesn't matter if you are Amazon, one guy on Craigslist, or a handful of people running a crowdfunded project:

Simple simple simple issue. You have issues in understanding what we are. We are not buyers. W360 and any Crowdsourcing project is not a store. Delays, corrections, and anything else that goes on including you ending up with a $200 dollar hole in the wallet and nothing to show for it are part of the game. You are a funder of a project, a project that's end goal that if you funded enough you would get a case and if you funded more into it hopefully color changes and other accessories. That's it, its a goal, shipping and other random statements is a goal. Early shipping a secondary goal on the building of the proto. The main goal production of the prototype and that was no promise that it got to the next stage which was this project that we backed which was full production.

Once you understand that can start to make intelligent statements that don't include rescheduling trips out of the country in holiday season so that you or whomever put in their credit card number thinking it was Amazon and didn't check their correspondence felt better. I mean isn't asking everybody else to be held back because a lack of attention by a backer just as "out of order". This isn't me being greedy or wanting it early. I don't care. My first and really only worry was that the project be successful. I don't need the case tomorrow. January. Hell I could care less if it took till next November next year. I don't need it for a project. It becomes the project when I get it. But I do have an issue with entitlement, specially consumer entitlement. You are in fact wrong, that it all depends on each level, you look for a deal on CL to save decent money you expect some hurdles. You become a BACKER, you expect missed deadlines and projections, shifts, quick changes, and web based communication. You want a case no hassles that comes when you want it, buy it on Amazon.

All in all I'm asking because I guess that everybody who updated their profile already will have such information sent to the proper courier... BUT, what If I update my shipping information, say, now? Will it delay the shipping in any sorts?

I'm wondering the same... I thought maybe I made a mistake putting down UK for country on the shipping label later realizing UNITED KINGDOM was probably what I should have put.
After reading the shipping times from http://www.post.gov.tw/post/internet/u_english/postal_f_6.jsp they have a listing for GREAT BRITAIN and not UK...
so i guess I'm asking if it would make much of a difference and if I should change the country to GREAT BRITAIN or UNITED KINGDOM?
Unless my current details have already been put through and cannot be changed. If that's the case i guess it can't be helped :)
Just trying to be thorough and make sure I'm doing it right to make things go smoother if I can. any thoughts are much appreciated :)

When dealing with customs agents it all depends on how professional they are, and I'll tell you a story about it:

I'm also into mech keyboards and the like and, once, a german user from a known forum had a very very rare keyboard sent to him, in Germany. Why is it funny? The custom agent that inspected such rare keyboard, knowing nothing of rare keyboards... started googling about how much would such keyboard be worth (when you see an old, vintage, keyboard wrapped up once and again and again... ). So, he found that in a keyboard-related forum such keyboard was valued in $1000, and thus the keyboard was taxed accordingly.

The good part comes in when the user that valued such keyboard... was the guy who actually bought it. A nice way to bit yourself in the ass :eek:

---

So, unless the products price has been eliminated from any official places... I'd suggest you price the product accordingly. I'm sure that If you value the case at $100 nobody will ever bother to check anything... since, for a computer case, its even on the high side. However, if you value something really really small... the alarms may sound, specially since some countries will be getting a few hundreds.

BTW, any chance to know how many cases every country got? I wanna know how many other spaniards will be getting one :D

Same, if you have free time w360 it would be awesome to have stats on where the cases went, what colors they are, what panel options they had, and how many also contributed in the prototype campaign. I completely understand if you can't or don't have the time but you'd make this nerd very happy. :D

Back