NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

God damnit I just bought Kuhler 1220 with 240mm rad. I Didnt think about it enough, it was on sale. No chance of fitting it with regular fans?

Edit:
Im so stupid theres no limit. Yeah the rad is 27mm thick, just like H100. I got confused because it says 240mm on the box and not dual 120mm :eek:

Last edited:
Nice, thanks for the update! Glad there's no major issues, even though a few of the Proto #2 issues didn't really seem that bad imo.

I'm really hoping all the M1's hold up well during shipping. I have a feeling that with the several million Xbox & PS4 orders going out before, during, and after the holidays, quite a few carriers will be tossing and kicking packages around like never before.

I work for UPS. I know the cases will be shipped with USPS instead, but all the carriers are pretty much the same. I can guarantee that many packages are thrown, dropped, or fall from 10+ feet (few are kicked). These need to be packed very well to survive shipping. The M1 does have the advantage of being very light, which will improve it's odds. Shouldn't be a problem overall with a 10% reserve: nowhere near that many cases should be damaged if they are packed properly.

I'm worried about the shipping as well.

I think the big difference between regular packaging and manufacturing packing is that manufacturers ship their products stacked, wrapped, and on pallets... as opposed to individual boxed packages that are more prone being thrown around.

I work for UPS. I know the cases will be shipped with USPS instead, but all the carriers are pretty much the same. I can guarantee that many packages are thrown, dropped, or fall from 10+ feet (few are kicked). These need to be packed very well to survive shipping. The M1 does have the advantage of being very light, which will improve it's odds. Shouldn't be a problem overall with a 10% reserve: nowhere near that many cases should be damaged if they are packed properly.

Goodness... I have a cousin who worked for USPS before and he told me the package handling was bad, but I didn't think it was this bad.

Let's hope the M1's lightness comes into play along with some (hopefully) thick packaging.

I'm glad I live near a Microcenter, no need to order parts online. :D

i worked for fedex, and yeah there was a lot of package abuse going on all the time on a daily basis there as well. total disregard for packages.

Does UPS offer a fragile handling service and if so, is it worth paying for?

If they do, I am unaware of it. The best solution is simply using appropriate packaging. Virtually all damaged packages are poorly packaged to begin with. Only a very small amount get eaten by a conveyor belt or run over by a truck.

The M1 may be small & light, but if it ships with panels in place, I'm just worried how easily the aluminum can be dented (my car's hood was done in pretty bad last year just by walnuts).

And as Aftermath pointed out, if they ship in their OEM boxes, that may or may not be enough.

The Lian Li I have now was shipped in just the OEM box, but it's been so long I can't remember how it was packaged. It did arrive okay, though.

Most of my delivery guys at home & work do an outstanding job handling my shipments with care, so I'm guessing much of the damage I've seen lately comes from loading the trucks or sorting at the processing centers. It's amazing that these companies have such a detailed record of transit, but can never pinpoint the one jerkoff that slam dunked a box into oblivion (this year has been the worst I've seen). There's still plenty of folks needing jobs out there.. I seriously hope they start shit-canning the random 2% that have literally zero respect for other's property and the work they're doing.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst ;)

This game seems hell bent on making players discover stuff on their own, with very few (if any) hints in the game.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Life is funny that way? Konami code? :p

If its packaged properly it should be fine. Of course I'd be more worried about crushing than dropping but that's just me. Its a pc case. Not a tv or monitor.

Plan is to double box, which should hopefully prevent most shipping damage.

This from the Compact Splash thread (after some of the initial cases had scratched paint and dented corners):

Xaero252 said:
I work with delicate avionic components for a living :) I've gotten bare circuit cards from the USA to the middle east and back in one piece. Challenge accepted.

Actually they are some pretty simple things that are really easy to do even on a tight budget:
1.) Frog tape to protect the paint job. It's just adhesive enough to stick, but not leave a residue - it's also like $8 a roll. From there to stretch the tape further you can use scrap paper to protect the larger surfaces. This prevents the paint from getting scratched pretty well. just make sure its flush with no bubbles or the jostling during shipping will likely rip it, and then the damage will happen anyways (not as big an issue if you can afford enough tape to coat the outside entirely)

2.) Bubblewrap Bubbles go inward, and for every 25lbs add an extra layer. (Up to 25lbs = 1 layer, 25-50 = 2).

3.) Foam is better - this goes for foam packing peanuts, and everything else under the sun. Bubble wrap protects from shock. Foam protects from vibration, shock, and compression. You want as little movement as possible inside the box when its closed.

These three things taken into account:

For the splash: 4 sheets of printer paper, and a small amount of frog tape will probably cover the entire case. From there a plastic bag will help further protect the paint job. You'll have to cut two of the sheets in half for the front & back, and the top & bottom of the case, one long ways, the other short. A cheap off-brand kitchen trash bag can easily cover the whole case as well. Either solution or a combination of both will keep the paint nice and pretty. A single layer of thin bubble wrap will be sufficient for the splash, a layer of packing peanuts in the bottom of the box, set the splash in and then pack it as full as you can without stressing the cardboard. This should keep things perfectly intact just about no matter the shipping treatment. If you want even more to keep you calm, filling the innards of the case with packing peanuts will help in the even that something attempts to crush it.

I'm not too concerned on the packaging. I bought a Lian Li V700 last year and thought the packaging was done very well. Even if something were to happen, they are insured and will be taken care of.

Someone going to design reservoir that will fit odd slot behind front panel?

@Necere

Any chance you could render one up, since you have the exact specs on the case.
Or better yet, generate a STL for the res, after the render, I can print one up to test fit out fo clear resin.

Someone going to design reservoir that will fit odd slot behind front panel?

@Necere

Any chance you could render one up, since you have the exact specs on the case.
Or better yet, generate a STL for the res, after the render, I can print one up to test fit out fo clear resin.

Slimline optical drives are 12.7mm. G1/4 ports need 4-5mm depth. There's not going to be much volume in a slimline reservoir, is there?

Slimline optical drives are 12.7mm. G1/4 ports need 4-5mm depth. There's not going to be much volume in a slimline reservoir, is there?

Good point, with those specs its definitely a no go. I personally would want 4-5mm on wall thickness on the res.

I think custom internal or on the back bracket is the only viable option

Hey Necere, since I'm starting to get a few things for the case, are there any specifics for the optical drive? I'm looking around for a slot-loading slim drive, which is itself difficult, but should these drives not have any front bezel?

The top panel leaves no slot for an eject button, so would I get something like this, or like this? Or does it not matter? Does the case include those insanely tiny screws?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Necere, may I ask what the distance from the PCIe bracket to the side panel is? (i.e. the maximum height for a GPU without counting the height added with PCIe power cables.

Hey Necere, since I'm starting to get a few things for the case, are there any specifics for the optical drive? I'm looking around for a slot-loading slim drive, which is itself difficult, but should these drives not have any front bezel?

The top panel leaves no slot for an eject button, so would I get something like this, or like this? Or does it not matter? Does the case include those insanely tiny screws?

I think it doesn't matter. You will have to eject from windows of course.

I'm using a Silverstone slot loader, which I assume Silverstone made for use with their FT03 Fortresses, which also don't have buttons, yet their slot loaders have front bezels with buttons.

Also, as you can see in prototype pictures Necere posted, he used a drive with a bezel.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think it doesn't matter. You will have to eject from windows of course.

I'm using a Silverstone slot loader, which I assume Silverstone made for use with their FT03 Fortresses, which also don't have buttons, yet their slot loaders have front bezels with buttons.

Also, as you can see in prototype pictures Necere posted, he used a drive with a bezel.

I didn't notice the drive in those pictures of the prototype. That answers only half the question though...what about screws? I've received OEM packaged slim drives for small builds which don't come with the screws (I know, for example, that the SG05 doesn't include them), so will the case have them packaged with it?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
if you missed the pre-order

will there be change to buy these later on?

It hasnt been decided yet. They may do another run but I'm thinking only if they get enough requests. I'd say watch for anyone that bought two or more and has changed their minds and offering to sell one. You would need to jump on it fast though I'm thinking.

I didn't notice the drive in those pictures of the prototype. That answers only half the question though...what about screws? I've received OEM packaged slim drives for small builds which don't come with the screws (I know, for example, that the SG05 doesn't include them), so will the case have them packaged with it?

Necere answered this a few pages back.

Yes, the M2 screws for the slim optical drive are included. There's also M3, 6-32, and M4 screws, plus a bunch of the rubber washers for drive mounting.

Good point, with those specs its definitely a no go. I personally would want 4-5mm on wall thickness on the res.

I'm listening to ideas for a custom internal? I mentioned the Cooler Master Eisberg a few pages back, but I'm not sure if it will fit?

That link has a reviewer who said it came with hardware if you were wanting that drive.

With 3mm wall thickness it would have approximate volume of 100ml when full. I dont see any prob with 3mm wall, it could be more where ports are located. Also it might be able to be longer than slimline odd's. Would need exact dimensioning pictures from front of the case..

I will send an email to all backers to confirm order and shipping address after the campaign ends.

wahaha360, are you already sending emails?
Is "Pre-order extension on our website, ends Sat, Sep 7" the campaign ends? I didn´t understand.

After the campaign ends doesn't mean the day after. It just means that he isn't going to start sending them out during the campaign. At least that's how I read it.

Are we getting a little impatient ? These don't ship out until late November or early December, so hurrying doesn't really matter when the product hasn't even gone into production yet.

He'll need to figure out those hundreds (almost thousand) of accounts, if they have any incorrect data and verify payment, put the order through, set up deliveries for all of them. All of this in his spare time. So give them a break.

Are we getting a little impatient ? These don't ship out until late November or early December, so hurrying doesn't really matter when the product hasn't even gone into production yet.

He'll need to figure out those hundreds (almost thousand) of accounts, if they have any incorrect data and verify payment, put the order through, set up deliveries for all of them. All of this in his spare time. So give them a break.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get people at all. I mean this case isn't even from a startup. It's side project stuff that took off. I love the case and don't want to miss my chance to get it. But anyone thinking this is anything like a purchase from Newegg or something like just baffles me. I mean seriously didn't they look into the background of the product before plunking down money on "no guarantee to actually receive product" backer site. The fact that the case is a "perk" for donating the money to the project of getting the case built should tell people that it's not the same as ordering it on amazon with free 2 day shipping with prime.

Me I am not buying this for a computer I have to have up an running by so and so date. I am getting the case to build a computer (almost as a look at what ITX can do demo system). If I don't get it till August of next year then so be it. The only way I can get bummed is if Necere or W360 posts something like "well we were so close to production but things fell a part and I had a move and then quit my job to work on this full time. Now that i have drained the funding by drawing a salary from it I can't go any farther. But don't worry I will put a dollar a day into a cookie jar in hopes of eventually paying you all back." But even then I know what I am getting into can't be too pissed.

Back