NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Greeley

Greeley Limp Gawd

Looks good, and they might not be as fast but they're quieter than EVGAs.

personally got some 3000 rpm fans i'll use with my accelero, i'm used to their sound tho.

2. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

I get higher scores running benchmarks, that is the only time I bump it to 5.0 GHz. I delidded the 8700k because I wanted to get reasonable temps from a 58mm tall CPU cooler.

The original question is if you can overclock a 8700k using a Noctua U9S, I say that it is possible but only if you delid.

3. Greeley

Greeley Limp Gawd

any idea if the sensors on the sc2 still work without the evga cooler?

was thinking the only reason to get an sc2 instead of an sc black was the sensors, and with the accelero thats probably moot

4. csd

csd Limp Gawd

I’m running a delidded 8700k @ 5.2ghz on a C14. Gets low 80s during stress testing, but generally 60-70 in regular high use. That’s with a very silent fan profile too.

More than happy with it:)

5. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

Very nice, mine won't go over 5.0 GHz. What voltage does that take?

6. Shottie

Shottie [H]Lite

The product page says the sensors are embeded in the PCB, so I don't see why they wouldn't work if you installed an accellero.
    https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6593-KR

Also, my SC Black doesn't boost for crap. I read about people and their SC2's hitting over 2ghz when mine craps out before 1976. I know if I were buying again I would get the SC2.

7. csd

csd Limp Gawd

1.37 in CB15 at 5.2 from memory.

rfarmer likes this.
  8. Christyles

Christyles n00bie

were you able to put the 140mm fan underneath the heatsink? And those 92mm at the back slim?

9. Nanook

Nanook Limp Gawd

I am using the Noctua A12x15 120mm fan underneath. I can’t with a 140mm fan underneath without using an ATX bracket to turn my PSU 90 degrees.
    The rear fan is the Noctua A9x14 fan. It doesn’t match the bottom redux 1700rpm fans, I know... :p

10. Cel

Cel n00bie

Hi!
    I just became a member of this forum to reply to this thread.
    Got my Ncase M1 which I bought used here in Sweden for about $150 and I've just finished building in it.
    The reason I felt the urge to reply here is a google-spreadsheet the seller gave me and I think it's from here:

In my ncase I've crammed the following hardware:
    Gigabyte AB350-N Gaming 3
    Ryzen 5 1600x
    2 x 8gb ddr4 3200mhz
    1 x Fractal Design Celsius S24 (240mm rad)
    3 x 2,5" drives (1x 2tb firecuda, 1 x 960gb ssd and finally 1 x 120gb ssd)
    1 x Corsair SF600
    2 x Noctua F12 PWM in the bottom
    and the kicker, the GPU that shouldn't fit:
    KFA2 1080 EX OC.
    That card is 43mm wide, 296mm long and 144mm in height.

The limit for gpu-height is 140mm, but there wasn't much problem fitting it, I had to bend the pcie-cables a tad and also remove one of the plastic thingies that hold the side in, but when the gpu was in it's place, I could put that plastic thingie back :)

It's very tight overall in the case with all parts in there, but it works!

Did some OCCT and Furmark at the same time and Cpu get up to about 60 degrees celsius with a somewhat quiet fan-curve and the GPU gets to about 70-75 degrees celsius.

I'm very happy with the case and how it all turned out.

I was actually planning to change to a Founders Edition version of the 1080 tomorrow just because my current isn't supposed to fit, but it does! :D

I'm so happy!

Qrash and Chapeau like this.
  11. Christyles

Christyles n00bie

Thanks. I was trying to put the included 140mm fans but it won't fit so I was thinking if a normal 120 25mm would fit also if I can put a 25mm 92 fans at the back

12. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

Nice build and welcome to the forum. Do you have a picture of your KFA2 installed? Someone over at SFF was asking about installing that same GPU.

13. Greeley

Greeley Limp Gawd

weird kfa2's 1080ti version with the same cooler isnt as tall, maybe the 1080 cools better

14. Cel

Cel n00bie

Yes:
    https://imgur.com/a/Hl7uAi1

I'm actually torn, the GPU fits and so on, but I can't decide on if I want to exchange it for a Founders Edition card, I have a guy who is willing to change his card for mine.
    Is the 2 x 120mm-fans working against my gpu in the m1 atm?
    Would it actually be better if I used a blower-style cooler?
    He's going away for 3 weeks tomorrow and I have to decide today.
    Never had a FE-card, are they loud?

Does it matter that my current card is spreading the heat in the case when I've got a s24 aio-cooler which works as exhaust?

15. Cel

Cel n00bie

I can also mention that the kfa2-card with 15 minutes of furmark stays quiet and at 72-73 degrees celsius.
    The cpu stays at 45-47 at the same time.
    When playing games like GW2 the gpu stays below 70 degrees (67-69) and cpu at 43-45.
    GPU-speed stays around 1900mhz.

Feels like a FE-card will be alot hotter and louder?

16. rfarmer

rfarmer Gawd

The Ncase was actually designed for reference style cards that exhaust out of the back of the case because there is no good way to exhaust the GPU heat from inside, but you are correct that they will be hotter and louder. A normal reference card usually runs at 80C and the small fan is noticeably louder. The temps you have are decent, I would keep your KFA2.

Qrash likes this.
  17. Cel

Cel n00bie

Thanks for the advice.
    Since the temps seems ok I'm keeping it.
    I changed the config somewhat where I before had the aio-rad as exhaust but I realized that that exit is filtered and the top isn't, I changed the direction of the fans and now it's intake in the bottom, intake in the side through the rad and then natural exit through the top.
    I hope the airflow that comes from the bottom pushes the natural way a bit more (aka upwards).

I can tell that the gpu get's 2-3 degrees hotter while the cpu gets 5-10 degrees off its previous temp but it feels better.
    I'll keep adjusting the fan-curves, too bad I can't get it to base the bottom fans of the gpu-temp and not the cpu-temp, they aren't spinning as fast as before since now the cpu is way cooler.. :)

18. Cel

Cel n00bie

After some tweaking of the fan-curve for the gpu in afterburner it now stays below 70 degrees and the sound is neglible :D

Man that case is lovely, so easy to work with (can access most connections on mb from above or from side and storage is easy to access too (except the one behind the inside of the front :D )

Love it so far, just what I wanted when I got sff stuck in my head back when I had a 4790k in a FD Define C at the end of last year. :D

Qrash and rfarmer like this.
  19. xfan10

xfan10 n00bie

I was in the middle of fan comparison for the bottom chassis fans and something odd has happened. I wondered if any has encountered this before. I was first trying intake flow. fans worked fine, was detected in the bios. then i flipped them around for exhaust flow, results were not as good so I flipped them back around for intake again. this time when I turned the power on , the fans barely started, at a slower speed and they are not detected in the bios anymore. They are the new Noctua 120mm's using a Y-cable. Any suggestions?

20. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

unplug the fans and fire it up. shut down and reconnect the fans. power up and see if it sees them.

21. xfan10

xfan10 n00bie

i think the y-cables were getting pinched to much and losing part of the connection. i took the fans out and straightened the cables and fired it up and they worked. so i just replaced the cables.

pendragon1 likes this.
  22. Rhialto

Rhialto Gawd

You can look at my build. I use the U9S in push/pull with duct to fully control air flow. I also have a slim fan on the side to feed U9S.

23. Rhialto

Rhialto Gawd

This is pretty insane!

24. Rhialto

Rhialto Gawd

Can be loud, you need to use a fan profile and it's just fine.

BTW if you plan to go FE, look on my page (see sig) for tips on finding the less noisy ones.