NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Hello, I am finally building my M1. I am wondering about heatsinks. Will the Noctua U12S and U14S fit? Will I have to sacrifice the 120mm fan on the side if I use either of them? Thank you

Hello, I am finally building my M1. I am wondering about heatsinks. Will the Noctua U12S and U14S fit? Will I have to sacrifice the 120mm fan on the side if I use either of them? Thank you

Neither of those heatsinks will fit. If you want a tower style heatsink the best you can do is the Noctua NH-U9B SE2. Otherwise if you want to use the top down style the NH-C12 and NH-C14 will fit depending on what board you choose and other storage options you want/need.

So, the "bird" sound it's product of the fan grill on the psu?

Don't think any of the usual weird SX600-G sounds (bird chirp, fan chatter, dive bomb, coil whine) are due to turbulence caused by the fan grill.

I'm sure there could be such a noise when at high RPM, but I haven't really noticed it.

I think the only noise that actually bothers people, is the fan chatter and coil whine (which can disappear after doing a stress test and getting some heat into the PSU). The fan chatter can be mitigated by having the PSU installed with the intake fan facing the opposite direction from where you are sitting (ie, if the M1 is on your left, then install PSU with intake fan facing inward).

No it's simply coil whine. "Bird sound" was unrelated comment; read again ...

Oh, i'm at work and i check the thread fast :B

Don't think any of the usual weird SX600-G sounds (bird chirp, fan chatter, dive bomb, coil whine) are due to turbulence caused by the fan grill.

I'm sure there could be such a noise when at high RPM, but I haven't really noticed it.

I think the only noise that actually bothers people, is the fan chatter and coil whine (which can disappear after doing a stress test and getting some heat into the PSU). The fan chatter can be mitigated by having the PSU installed with the intake fan facing the opposite direction from where you are sitting (ie, if the M1 is on your left, then install PSU with intake fan facing inward).

In other words, tips to reduce the weird sounds:
- Stress the psu (maybe with OCCT?)
- If you use a fan with the side bracket, put the on the psu with the fan to right panel (seeing the case from the front)
Right?

Neither of those heatsinks will fit. If you want a tower style heatsink the best you can do is the Noctua NH-U9B SE2. Otherwise if you want to use the top down style the NH-C12 and NH-C14 will fit depending on what board you choose and other storage options you want/need.
OK thanks, I wasn't sure because I thought I saw some builds with very large coolers.

I went with Noctua NH-C12P SE14, Fractal Design Silent Series 92mm Fan, and Bgears Fan Filter 90mm.

I just got the SX500-LG. Tried it out a bit and the compatibility with long videocard is indeed not good.
The components I have currently is an experimental build and I knew that not all of these will fit:
Asus M7I
Cryorig C1
Nvidia GeForce GTX970 Reference cooler
Silverstone SX500-LG

Su0hTM7h.jpg

Notice that I didn't put any of the cables on, because it is nearly impossible :cool:
The extra few mms from the V3 bracket might help, but I think it would still be very tight.

Another problem is the orientation of the power plug:
TczKFVFh.jpg

If I bend the cable sharp enough then I might be able to squeeze it in the bracket but it would be a bit scary so I did not try that.

Besides the problem with the PSU, I confirmed that Cryorig C1 on Asus M7I won't fit in the NCASE M1 with the SFX bracket. It would interfere with the PSU, by only a few mms. :(

Feel free to let me know if you want me to try something out or take more pictures.
Any suggestions on how to fix my build is also welcome and appreciated :D

Why is the NH-C12 more preferred than the C14 in this build? The C14 has better temps overall I thought.

I was thinking of using an H100i in my M1, but due to the rad/tubing size, would an air cooler be a better choice since it would free up most of the case? With so many discussion pages about what fits and what doesn't, there has hardly been much discussion about actual temps. Perhaps I'm looking in all the wrong places though.

I just got the SX500-LG. Tried it out a bit and the compatibility with long videocard is indeed not good.

Dang, I was hoping this would solve my dilemma with the SX600-G.

Last edited:
I just got the SX500-LG.

[snip]

Feel free to let me know if you want me to try something out or take more pictures.
Any suggestions on how to fix my build is also welcome and appreciated :D

Where'd you get an SX500-LG?!

The V3 bracket will help with both your issues. Not sure if the extra 3mm height will be enough but that lip is shortened so the AC cord fits.

If you don't need both 120mm intakes, try and see if you can mount it using the ATX bracket + adapter plate. Maybe you can even mount the adapter plate on the "outside" to buy yourself a couple millimeters.

does this case support two 120mm radiators? one AIO for the cpu and one AIO for the GPU?

i am currently using 2x 120mm AIO's in mine (with a Kraken G10 on my GPU - an R9 290) as i am not anywhere near brave/devoted enough to full WC a PC. i have very few issues with it and the build was relatively painfree once i worked out the best format and orientation.

i would recommend (if you have a long GPU) using a X31 for the slightly longer tubing, as its very close to being not an option with a H55.

i would also recommend that you stick to 1 fan per radiator (get a good SP one - i have Noctua PPC 2000rpm PWM fans on my rads) with the CPU as intake, and currently with the GPU as a pull exhaust (as exhaust keeps my case temps down much better and im limited by the H55 hose length to having my fan mounted to the bracket).

cable management can be an issue if you are not prepared. i run 2x side fans, 2x bottom fans as intake (Akasa Apache Black 120mm) and a Noctua B9 Redux 92mm on the G10 bracket. this can be messy and requires some creative routing/use of spillters.

but tbh i have found it to be very beneficial to my rig to put the second AIO in. my case temps are down, my 290 doesnt go above 55C with the fan running at 1600rpm (audible but not offensive). VRM temps are an issue on the 290 and took a bit of work but with heatsinks they are now lower than the core.

and it was a fun experiment. i believe i was only the second to try it (after that build linked on OCN) and reducing your numbers of fans (and getting high quality SP fans) and simplifying your build as much as possible is the key to 2x AIOs in the m1

If you don't need both 120mm intakes, try and see if you can mount it using the ATX bracket + adapter plate. Maybe you can even mount the adapter plate on the "outside" to buy yourself a couple millimeters.

I have been thinking about mounting my SX600-G this way, so that its fan intake faces the rear of the case. Has any one done this?

Mounting the SX500-LG this way should not only raise it a few millimeters (if the adapters are in the order you suggested), but its cable connectors would all be closer to the front of the case and this should interfere less with long graphics cards. I'm not sure if this would be enough, though, since the PS is 63.5 mm tall and it would not be flush with the inside of the front panel.

. . . Another problem is the orientation of the power plug: . . . If I bend the cable sharp enough then I might be able to squeeze it in the bracket but it would be a bit scary so I did not try that.

You could use a rewireable C13 connector, such as those in this post 10224 and addressed in this post 10191.

Just stumbled across this build tonight..

http://logout.hu/cikk/ncase_m1_mod/teljes.html (HU) (posted by BL@CK on Dec 11th, 2014)

Looks nice!

Why is the NH-C12 more preferred than the C14 in this build? The C14 has better temps overall I thought.

The C14 is larger and should cool better than the smaller C12, however, the C12 is smaller and allows fitment of the side 3.5" drive rack, where as the larger C14 will block use of this.

In other words, tips to reduce the weird sounds:
- Stress the psu (maybe with OCCT?)
- If you use a fan with the side bracket, put the on the psu with the fan to right panel (seeing the case from the front)
Right?

I've had a few instances of coil whine, and running the AIDA64 stability test has always gotten rid of it. Think WiSK has done the same while using Folding @home. Think the idea is to generate heat within the PSU to soften any glue on the capacitors so it migrates into a spot to better dampen its resonant frequency.. I think.

Personally, I would only consider using a fan on the side rack with the intent to cool the PSU intake, *if* I was planning on having my M1 sitting off to my left (and depending on what other surfaces were further to the left, that could reflect the sound back toward me). Whatever it takes to get the damn thing pointed *away* from me.

This! What country is it shipping in already??

Notice that I didn't put any of the cables on, because it is nearly impossible :cool:
The extra few mms from the V3 bracket might help, but I think it would still be very tight.

Dammit. I shall put my faith in the power of 2mm.

Is there the chirping issue in the SX500-LG?

Su0hTM7m.jpg

I think you would do a good service to the community to show a photo with at least one connector plugged in (e.g. a sata power cable). Because at the moment your photo gives the impression that there might be enough space. My guess is that, even with the V3 bracket and carefully bending all 52 wires at right-angles, they will push hard against the GPU.

His GPU has a backplate which could indeed cause the cables to push down on the GPU, maybe the V3 bracket would be just enough to clear those extra few mm's.

Damn, 970 reference with the SX500-LG was my intended setup. hopefully the V3 bracket will juuuust allow the cables to squeeze in. If not, I'll have to do the tedious 90° cable mod.

Just stumbled across this build tonight.

looks very interesting. While i don't really get the aestetic appeal of that plexi panel, his choice of components could make for a quite original build. I'll make sure to follow his progress.

The V3 bracket will help with both your issues. Not sure if the extra 3mm height will be enough but that lip is shortened so the AC cord fits.

This! What country is it shipping in already??

It's been selling for about 3 weeks here in Taiwan. But according to my observation, it's not widely available yet. Only a few small stores listed it and the store I bought from didn't have one in stock so it was back ordered from SilverStone.

Dammit. I shall put my faith in the power of 2mm.
Is there the chirping issue in the SX500-LG?

I haven't powered anything with the SX500-LG yet. I'll try it on my current desktop in the weekend if I have time because it would be a tedious job to replace all the power cables.
Will update on the SX500-LG thread if I have anything to share. :)

I think you would do a good service to the community to show a photo with at least one connector plugged in (e.g. a sata power cable). Because at the moment your photo gives the impression that there might be enough space. My guess is that, even with the V3 bracket and carefully bending all 52 wires at right-angles, they will push hard against the GPU.

His GPU has a backplate which could indeed cause the cables to push down on the GPU, maybe the V3 bracket would be just enough to clear those extra few mm's.

Damn, 970 reference with the SX500-LG was my intended setup. hopefully the V3 bracket will juuuust allow the cables to squeeze in. If not, I'll have to do the tedious 90° cable mod.

I gave it a few other tries and was able to squeeze in a few connectors.
The wires do push toward the GPU. Here're the pictures I took today:

EQqiARL.jpg

The 2mm would definitely help, but it's hard to judge whether the wires would still push towards the GPU.

zCiZ31R.jpg

The PCI-E power cable connector seems shorter so it's easy to fit in.
The GPU is clearly pushed down by the cords.

lOnod1t.jpg

With the 24pin ATX power cable.

I think it's time to order a V3 bracket and try it out! Hope it's sent directly from Taiwan.

Hi folks,

This is my first post here, and my first mini-ITX build and my first 'complex' build. Every other build has been in a big case and very simple. I am looking forward to having a bit of fun with this one but keep it simple too.

I still need to buy a MB, PS, and memory to go with my EVGA GTX-970. The CPU is an i54690k I have spent some time with the compatibility spreadsheet and on this forum but have not read all 700+ pages so sorry if my basic questions below have been answered already.

1) Is it practical / possible to stick with stock cooling on the CPU? I don't plan on any over clocking.

2) Is there a particular MB that 'makes things easier'?

3) I was planning to get the SX500-LG power supply but will hold off until there are reports on how it fits with the v3 bracket. Again, any alternatives that give a bit more margin for the packaging?

Hi folks,

This is my first post here, and my first mini-ITX build and my first 'complex' build. Every other build has been in a big case and very simple. I am looking forward to having a bit of fun with this one but keep it simple too.

I still need to buy a MB, PS, and memory to go with my EVGA GTX-970. The CPU is an i54690k I have spent some time with the compatibility spreadsheet and on this forum but have not read all 700+ pages so sorry if my basic questions below have been answered already.

1) Is it practical / possible to stick with stock cooling on the CPU? I don't plan on any over clocking.

2) Is there a particular MB that 'makes things easier'?

3) I was planning to get the SX500-LG power supply but will hold off until there are reports on how it fits with the v3 bracket. Again, any alternatives that give a bit more margin for the packaging?

Hi

1) Stock cooling will probably be fine but: 1. I'd put a fan on the side bracket for it. 2. It's quite a noisy little thing. If you get tired of noise down the line and you're sticiking with air cooling i can reccomend the Noctua NH-C12 (hdd side bracket possible) or NH-C14 (hdd side bracket not possible). If you don't really want to spend the $ right now you can decide if you're happy with stock first and upgrade later. AIO's work well to.

2) For MB that bepends on other components. Things such as power connector placment could be taken into consideration to make it easier with cable routing, as well as socket placement for future compatability with larger air coolers. I would say though, that if you're not planning on OC'ing, don't overspend on it. If audio quality matters that should be taken into account as well.

3) I'm following this with much interest but must say I am happy with my SX600-G and will probably not replace it. It's probably a bit noisier, but at least if you're running stock intel cpu cooler, that will be noisier anyway. With your setup you can get away with the cheaper SX450-G as well, but that has an even noisier fan.

Hi guys,

For those of you waiting for the M1 V3, we have started shipping. For this year, I'm returning to the US to spend time with family for holidays, so shipping will be handled by the Taiwan Postal Service (in the hands of a good people).

We are currently waiting for Postal Service to email me the list of tracking numbers (was suppose to get it last night, but it's holiday, I assume they are overwhelmed).

Stay tuned, I will make updates on both the first post and new post as I get more info.

The GPU is clearly pushed down by the cords.

With the 24pin ATX power cable.

I think it's time to order a V3 bracket and try it out! Hope it's sent directly from Taiwan.
Yikes, that looks like the connectors would be touching the backplate even if the wires weren't there. Hopefully that extra 3mm and some very aggressive cable bending will reduce the card bending. If that doesn't work, I might look into getting a flex riser.

Hi guys,

For those of you waiting for the M1 V3, we have started shipping. For this year, I'm returning to the US to spend time with family for holidays, so shipping will be handled by the Taiwan Postal Service (in the hands of a good people).

We are currently waiting for Postal Service to email me the list of tracking numbers (was suppose to get it last night, but it's holiday, I assume they are overwhelmed).

Stay tuned, I will make updates on both the first post and new post as I get more info.
Excellent work wahaha360 ! Enjoy the holidays at home and thank you for your time in getting this sorted out this quickly !

One question, maybe Necere can also answer that: are the V3 PSU brackets and other accessories are also going to be shipped along with the Ncase M1's ?

Hi

1) <snip...> I can reccomend the Noctua NH-C12 (hdd side bracket possible) or NH-C14 (hdd side bracket not possible).

Thanks! Just what I needed. I think I will pick up a C12. The price isn't that bad and I would probably end up buying it in the long run anyhow.

The PCI-E power cable connector seems shorter so it's easy to fit in.

I've got bad news for you. It's not because the PCI-E cable connector is shorter. It's because the video card is already forced down and bent by the other connector and the PCI-E cable connector is free riding.

Even with the V3 bracket it's clearly going to be an uncomfortably tight fit for the SX500-LG. Unfortunately there's no other fix for it; it needs more space, and the only way to do that would be to increase the height of the M1 (which isn't something that's going to happen). This is what can happen when you design things to be as compact as possible - you end up with incompatibilities. The M1 was designed before SFX-L was a thing, so there wasn't really a way of planning for it.

The only other possible bright spot I can see is if some company picks up the Dirac SFX, which uses a 92mm fan and has a length between SFX and SFX-L.

The M1's accessories still selling after today? Specifically the panel kit
Yes. This is just the date shipping was scheduled to start (though it started a bit early). Both the M1 and its accessories will continue to be available through the website, until the current inventory is sold out.

Yes. This is just the date shipping was scheduled to start (though it started a bit early). Both the M1 and its accessories will continue to be available through the website, until the current inventory is sold out.

Oh that's great! And, when will the tracking numbers will be provided?

...are the V3 PSU brackets and other accessories are also going to be shipped along with the Ncase M1's ?

No, the accessories will be shipped separately

Aside from plastic clips, there is not enough space to fit any other M1 accessories, there is also a risk of scratching the M1 from delivery abuse if there are other parts in that box.

Location wise, some accessories are in US, some in TW (including V3 SFX). Also, things like Panels Kits and SFX Brackets just don't combine well for shipping. So things will have to ship separately.

No, the accessories will be shipped separately

Aside from plastic clips, there is not enough space to fit any other M1 accessories, there is also a risk of scratching the M1 from delivery abuse if there are other parts in that box.

Location wise, some accessories are in US, some in TW (including V3 SFX). Also, things like Panels Kits and SFX Brackets just don't combine well for shipping. So things will have to ship separately.

Thanks for the updates. Looking forward to a PayPal update :).

Back