NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

An R9 295X2 would fit but I have yet to see it confirmed, but the power supply it needs, is very specific: you need AT LEAST 700W. The card alone pulls about 600W (from the wall) and for a stock clocked i7-4790K + SSD and fans, you'd have around 700W from the wall.

But the heaviest SFX PSU is "only" 600W, so the next best thing is a very compact and very efficient 700-750W ATX PSU like this one: http://www.amazon.com/ANTEC-Supply-ATX12V-EA-750-PLATINUM/dp/B00ILH39Y8/

Then you'd have one slot from the fan bracket occupied by the watercooler, I'd recommend you'd use a 120mm AIO liquid cooler to cool the CPU, but it will be tight to fit the tubing in the case.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Someone with the H220 can tell me how easier it's the install (using standard SFX)? I have planed use a CM Glacer (H220) or maybe a Noctua NH-C14

My EK waterblock came in yesterday for the MSI 970 Gaming 4g, I think it should fix any issues with side panel clearing the waterblock header. Seems to be ~7mm shorter than the universal block, when I needed about 3mm to clear.

Probably won't have time until after christmas to go through and actually try it out.

I know the Strix cards typically don't fit but the Asus 970 Strix just does as someone else posted, I have the Asus 980 Strix and its slightly thinner than the Asus 970 Strix so it should fit on air just fine though I have to remove one retention clip.

EK got back to me saying that height of the waterblock for the 980 Strix is 133mm or 5.2" now that doesn't take into account for the PCI fingers of the card but on paper, it seems like it will fit...

Last edited:
I'm planning to buy a SFX-L psu (Chieftec SFX-500GD-C) and place it in the V2 model. Is it required to mount the PSU with the new SFX V3 mounting bracket or is it optional?

In cae it's optional, what are the benefits when using the SFX V3 bracket with SFX-L PSU's ?

You'll gain something like 3mm with the V3 PSU bracket.
That could help a little, but the PSU cables will still be very close to a long GPU card.

I'm planning to buy a SFX-L psu (Chieftec SFX-500GD-C) and place it in the V2 model. Is it required to mount the PSU with the new SFX V3 mounting bracket or is it optional?

In cae it's optional, what are the benefits when using the SFX V3 bracket with SFX-L PSU's ?

Look at this post, it contains a pic + description why you might want it:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041270291&postcount=14706

Short answer: it fits but just. In case you'll go sleeve custom cables you might want that 2 extra mm. A backplate for the gpu won't fit as can be seen on the photo.

Just ordered - silver case, extra black panels, SFX-L bracket.

Planned Build:

Intel 4790k
Asus Maximus VII Impact
16 GB Corsair Vegeance Low Profile
Noctua NH-L12 (without 92mm fan)
2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo
1xWD Caviar Red 6TB
Silverstone SFX-L psu

Just ordered - silver case, extra black panels, SFX-L bracket.

Planned Build:

Intel 4790k
Asus Maximus VII Impact
16 GB Corsair Vegeance Low Profile
Noctua NH-L12 (without 92mm fan)
2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo
1xWD Caviar Red 6TB
Silverstone SFX-L psu
FYI the V3 case comes with the revised SFX bracket, so you don't need to order it separately. It's just offered for those with the earlier versions that want the slightly better compatibility it offers for the new SFX-L PSUs.

No discrete GPU in your build?

2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo

Just wondering why the 2x 500GB, instead of just getting the 1TB 840 or 850 Evo?

The 1TB is always cheaper than 2x 500GB and will allow room for an additional 2.5" drive upgrade later. I can see maybe wanting a pair for RAID, though I've seen a few places recommending that you just go with a single larger SSD instead..

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html

Actually, if you're going with the Impact VII, just get the faster XP941, and then add secondary SSD/HDD as needed..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147349

FYI the V3 case comes with the revised SFX bracket, so you don't need to order it separately. It's just offered for those with the earlier versions that want the slightly better compatibility it offers for the new SFX-L PSUs.

No discrete GPU in your build?

Oops. Re-using 780 Ti :)

NH-L12 Should be good though right? Looking for the most quiet solution since this will be in a bedroom. I was gonna go with the H100i but I've heard it can be kinda loud. Is this still true if I replace the fans?

Just wondering why the 2x 500GB, instead of just getting the 1TB 840 or 850 Evo?

The 1TB is always cheaper than 2x 500GB and will allow room for an additional 2.5" drive upgrade later. I can see maybe wanting a pair for RAID, though I've seen a few places recommending that you just go with a single larger SSD instead..

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html

Actually, if you're going with the Impact VII, just get the faster XP941, and then add secondary SSD/HDD as needed..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147349

Thanks! I forget, is there something special I have to do to boot from that?

Last edited:
You'll gain something like 3mm with the V3 PSU bracket.
That could help a little, but the PSU cables will still be very close to a long GPU card.
How long is long? I haven't got my head round the dimensions inside the M1 - what length GPU would stop before reaching the SFX PSU? Useful to know to work out where a particular length card will fall.

How long is long? I haven't got my head round the dimensions inside the M1 - what length GPU would stop before reaching the SFX PSU? Useful to know to work out where a particular length card will fall.
This pic shows pretty clearly what it looks like with a standard 100mm long SFX and a long GPU:

SFX-L is 30mm longer, which means the modular connectors are right up against the top of a long GPU:

JTTKSH.jpg

So how long can the GPU be without running into that problem? Well, as long as the motherboard (170mm), plus another 25-30mm to where the connectors are on the PSU. So around 200mm long GPUs should fit with SFX-L without issue.

I uploaded a bunch of new pics to the user build gallery today btw. Quite a few nice builds in there, plus some new side-by-sides with other cases.

2 questions:

1) The Panel Top(No ODD Slot) is compatible with my First Edition M1 or is it not?
2) How much shorter are the new power cables than the original one that came with the first edition?

2 questions:

1) The Panel Top(No ODD Slot) is compatible with my First Edition M1 or is it not?
2) How much shorter are the new power cables than the original one that came with the first edition?
1. The V2+ top panel is not compatible with the V1 (First Edition) front panel. It is compatible with the V1 chassis (all panel revisions are compatible with all versions of the chassis). So if you order a full V2/V3 panel kit, you can use it without problem with a V1 chassis.
2. The right-angle power included with V1 cases is 620mm. The left-angle cable included with V2+ (as well as the right-angle cable now sold separately on the site) is 380mm. N.B., that's just the cable length, and excludes the connectors at either end.

1. The V2+ top panel is not compatible with the V1 (First Edition) front panel. It is compatible with the V1 chassis (all panel revisions are compatible with all versions of the chassis). So if you order a full V2/V3 panel kit, you can use it without problem with a V1 chassis.
2. The right-angle power included with V1 cases is 620mm. The left-angle cable included with V2+ (as well as the right-angle cable now sold separately on the site) is 380mm. N.B., that's just the cable length, and excludes the connectors at either end.

Thank you for completely explaining that!

So if I want a NO ODD top panel, I have to buy the panel kit along with the NO ODD top panel

Thank you for completely explaining that!

So if I want a NO ODD top panel, I have to buy the panel kit along with the NO ODD top panel
Right. Kind of sucks, I know. The only other option is to find someone with an extra no-ODD top panel that is willing to sell it.

2 questions:

1) The v2/v3 top panel is only compatible when also using the v2/v3 front panel.. so you'll also need to buy a panel kit, in addition to the new top panel.

2) The new internal power cable is ~45cm (from edge of outlet to end of plug), and the old one is ~70cm.. so about 25cm shorter. Doesn't seem like a lot, but it made the difference between me snaking excess cable down towards the bottom and back up, versus just making a short loop and keeping all of the cable up at the top.

EDIT: Oops! Yeah, what Necere said. Didn't realize I took 20-min to compose my damn reply (was actually taking measurements of my old cable, and finding the measurement of the new one that I already posted) :eek:

Last edited:
Finally got all my atx parts sold for this build, and the case is shipping Monday! Just need to decide if i want to try the 600w or wait for the 500w and hope i can fit it in with a reference 970 with backplate.

Also, has anyone tried led fans on the side? I'm interested to see how it looks. Might do it if it's a nice subtle glow through the holes on the side but i can see it looking like total crap too.

Having LED fans on the bottom of the case might look cool. The light should glow out the bottom of the case.

Having LED fans on the bottom of the case might look cool. The light should glow out the bottom of the case.

Yeah i thought about that too but I'll only be able to fit a 92mm cause of an hdd. I'm really curious to see the side panel with led fans and before i buy new fans for my rad

Definitely going to do the power button and activity light mod, video down the page - http://oliver.st/blog/ncase-m1/

Someone knows the quality of the PP06 Silverstone cables?

Not sure, but unless you plan on cutting them down, the PP06 set is just way too long for a small case like this imo.

I'd highly recommend their PP05-E flex cable set.. they're very nice to work with, and hide out of the way. Most of the PP05 cables are actually shorter than the ones included with the SX600-G.

PP05 vs PP06, you're looking at an additional 8" in just the 24-pin ATX cable alone. Add in the rest, and you'll be trying to stuff a crapload of excess wire into some tiny spaces.

Hello community, i've ordered one Ncase and I want to double check my final build components.
Please let me know if there's anything that should be changed.

CASE: Ncase V3
MOBO: ROG Impact VII
CPU: Intel 4790K
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX980 4GB GDDR5 (reference Titan-style cooler)
SSD: Samsung 850 pro 256GB
RAM: Corsair Dominator 2x8
PSU: Silverstone SX600-G
Cooler: Noctua NH-C14

My biggest concern here is the noise / psu buzzing.

• As far as the CPU cooler goes, within the Noctua brand, the model I chose is the best choice noise wise?
  • Now the SFX PSU, I really hate the buzzing noise! Is there any other model or brand that will outperform in that aspect? with 600w or less

• Also GTX 970 or GTX 980 for gaming and whatnot (reference Titan-style cooler)

Please share your thoughts, I plan on ordering everything by next week. Thanks

Hello community, i've ordered one Ncase and I want to double check my final build components.
Please let me know if there's anything that should be changed.

CASE: Ncase V3
MOBO: ROG Impact VII
CPU: Intel 4790K
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX980 4GB GDDR5 (reference Titan-style cooler)
SSD: Samsung 850 pro 256GB
RAM: Corsair Dominator 2x8
PSU: Silverstone SX600-G
Cooler: Noctua NH-C14

My biggest concern here is the noise / psu buzzing.

• As far as the CPU cooler goes, within the Noctua brand, the model I chose is the best choice noise wise?
  • Now the SFX PSU, I really hate the buzzing noise! Is there any other model or brand that will outperform in that aspect? with 600w or less

• Also GTX 970 or GTX 980 for gaming and whatnot (reference Titan-style cooler)

Please share your thoughts, I plan on ordering everything by next week. Thanks

The C14 is the largest Noctua that fit inside the M1 (though it blocks use of the 3.5" HDD rack).. for better noise levels, I'd recommend also getting their A15 PWM fan to replace the included non-PWM P14 fan.

The SX600-G isn't too bad, but not exactly perfect.. you could try waiting for their SX500-LG that uses a larger fan, and is *supposed* to be even quieter. It has an official product page already, but no official ETA for purchase. Just keep in mind that it will be a very tight squeeze in the M1 when using full-size GPU cards with backplate.

970 and 980 reference cards are both excellent choices. I would think the 970 using the same blower cooler would be easier to cool, and therefore a little quieter.. but I could be wrong about that.

Also, consider buying low-profile RAM instead of the insanely tall Dominators. The Crucial Ballistix Sports VLP (very-low profile) are most often recommended for small ITX builds, and will allow you a lot more room. And also, I'd at least consider the faster M.2 solid-state drives instead of a 2.5" SSD (possibly the XP941), since the Impact VII supports them.. would equate to 2 less cables you'd have to deal with. They are a little pricier, though.

IF Gaming is not your primary usage, I am looking at the Asus Z97I-PLUS offering for my QUIET SFF build in the NCASE V3.
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97IPLUS/
This board is nice for HTPC build, with DisplayPort and HDMI standard.
The "Trick" with Small Form Factor (SFF) builds: Think SMALL (Laptop-Like) in component selection, and BIG for cooling.

This board supports the M.2 SSD, the Kingston SSDNOW M.2 2280 (SATA) 240G is good size for an OS boot drive and essentials.
http://www.kingston.com/us/ssd/s

I will use a 1 TB 2.5" hard drive (WD Blue or Red) for additional storage.
Traditional Blue
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=800

New 2.5" Red at 1 TB
http://www.silentpcreview.com/WD_Red_6TB_1TB

This board also has PCIe MiniCard slot for WiFi/Bluetooth, that I desire to include.

Too bad NCASE does not have a plastic bezel.
That is where I hide (camouflage) the flat Tyco 2.4/5 GHz wireless antennas (used inside laptops) in my earlier builds !

Last edited:
So I'm currently using Alphacool ST30 slim rad with some medium speed fans

Would I see some good temp drops if I switched it for DazMods Dual LP240 Extra Slim Radiator and some high speed fans?

The Alphacool is 8FPI while Daz is at 17FPI

Currently my system (specs in sig) is around 50C and GPU @ 48C when the system is mildy OCed to 4.2Ghz and the GPU OCed to the max at idle, pump is running about 50% of its max rpms

Thanks

Would I see some good temp drops if I switched it for DazMods Dual LP240 Extra Slim Radiator and some high speed fans?

The Alphacool is 8FPI while Daz is at 17FPI

I don't have the ST30, but pretty sure that FPI is underestimated. Alphacool doesn't list it on the product page, where did you see that number? Look at pictures of both radiators - looks to me the fin density is pretty similar.

Anyway, my experience is that slim rads perform pretty much the same as each other, within a few degrees. Even something dense like the PE240, with high FPI and double fin rows, I would struggle to show significant differences on my systems.

Besides, sub 50C is not a bad temperature at all for a GPU. Since they are designed to run at 70C+

Is the SFX V3 bracket already sold out? it's not on the accessoires page anymore :-(

Just went to order the V3 PSU bracket and noticed the same thing. :(

Same here! :eek:

PS: First post! Yeap, I have just created an account at HardForum so i could ask about the PSU bracket v3 availability, since it's not appearing in the dropdown menu of the accessories' page. :(

Is the SFX V3 bracket already sold out? it's not on the accessoires page anymore :-(

Just went to order the V3 PSU bracket and noticed the same thing. :(

Same here! :eek:

PS: First post! Yeap, I have just created an account at HardForum so i could ask about the PSU bracket v3 availability, since it's not appearing in the dropdown menu of the accessories' page. :(
Yeah, it's sold out apparently. You guys all have V1/V2 cases already, right? Because V3 comes with the bracket.

Back