NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

D9Mwx6V.jpg
Ah yes, I see now. Welll I guess someone should try it out that can place a temperature probe in their PSU.

*snip*
The build can be found here for reference.

So that miniature reservoir... It should be able to fit inside the M1 right(Dimensions (LxWxH): 60 x 70 x 35mm)? under a water cooled graphics card, The only 2 problems I can see are the tubing going around the outside of the graphics card but that's been done before anyway, and then it being on the bottom of the case so attaching a fill line.
since I was looking for reservoirs that might be able to fit inside the M1 for some time (I even thought about sending a product suggestion to EK) another one that could fit is the Tecnofront Micro Trap Reservoir Measures outside (L x B x H): 105mm x 68mm x 41mm
any other ones that would fit internally?

What's the advantage of putting an internal reservoir in the M1? It's not visible from the outside so it's not an aesthetic feature, and there's no room to position it at the top of the loop so it doesn't double as a fillport.

What's the advantage of putting an internal reservoir in the M1? It's not visible from the outside so it's not an aesthetic feature, and there's no room to position it at the top of the loop so it doesn't double as a fillport.

I think some people don't like the idea of having a reservoir bolted on to the back of their case, since it looks very conspicuous. With the M1 having an understated design and all, a protruding box - even at the back - looks out of place.

Certainly some won't mind, or perhaps even prefer, that look. But I understand and can relate to why some would not. To each their own, I suppose ;)

Why not just not use a reservoir? It's a bit more of a pain to turn the system on and off a few times (to allow the loop to settle and air bubbles to rise to the fillport) while performing the initial bleed, but a reservoir is not a necessary component, particularly if you're short on space.

Why would the GTX 780 Ti be "low heat" ? If it generates 300W worth of heat, it will generate the same amount of heat as any other card generating 300W worth of heat.

In a case this small, made entirely of aluminium and by keeping the noise in check, you are bound to run into "hot zones". Mine is the top panel, because the radiator exhausts through there.

I thought the meaning of "low heat" in the context (in-case temperature) was obvious enough to be left unexplained. The GTX 780 Ti reference cooler dumps most of the heat outside of the case. The 290X Tri-X dumps all of it inside, indirectly heating the cpu through my large air cooler, forcing the poor little fan in the 450W sfx to spin itself to death, and pushing my ssd up to 55C (which may not be a problem at all, but I don't like it). In comparison, the 780 Ti is the "low heat" solution.

I had a 290X with the reference cooler installed a couple of months as well, which of course also was "low heat" in this context, but the noise was unbearable. The 780 Ti reference cooler is a lot more silent.

Man, I have an order for a black in, but I keep getting the urge to switch it to silver instead. It's just so...sleek, and won't show dust/fingerprints nearly as bad. Urgh decisions. D:

Man, I have an order for a black in, but I keep getting the urge to switch it to silver instead. It's just so...sleek, and won't show dust/fingerprints nearly as bad. Urgh decisions. D:

I feel your pain, I ordered a back V1 and love it. I'm really contemplating a V2 silver but it is hard to justify when my current build has stock cooling and desperately needs water cooling.

I thought the meaning of "low heat" in the context (in-case temperature) was obvious enough to be left unexplained. The GTX 780 Ti reference cooler dumps most of the heat outside of the case. The 290X Tri-X dumps all of it inside, indirectly heating the cpu through my large air cooler, forcing the poor little fan in the 450W sfx to spin itself to death, and pushing my ssd up to 55C (which may not be a problem at all, but I don't like it). In comparison, the 780 Ti is the "low heat" solution.

I had a 290X with the reference cooler installed a couple of months as well, which of course also was "low heat" in this context, but the noise was unbearable. The 780 Ti reference cooler is a lot more silent.
Ah yes, like that. I have to agree with you, the reference coolers on the AMD R9 290-series cards are bad, that's why I put a waterblock on mine. Expensive but now it is a lot more silent :) In that regard, the reference GTX 780 Ti cooler is indeed better, being a blower-style cooler and being less noisy.

Well I couldn't resist, 2nd M1 ordered. I went with the Silver this time. Thanks again Necere/W360! I have absolutely no need for a second case but I figured I could use it down the road at some point.

Also, Necere are you considering a third run ?

Last edited:
Is anyone else having trouble with payment through paypal?

I have tried two different cards, Visa and Mastercard and I only get an error. I would try to transfer funds to paypal from my bank. Unfortunately theres a holiday coming up at the end of this week in Sweden so the transfer can´t be performed until monday (=to late).
Just to double check that I got it right. I was planing to get an extra set of panels for my M1, is that also deadlined at June 22?

I am a very sad puppy right now :(

Or you can do what I did. Order a black case + silver panels

So that miniature reservoir... It should be able to fit inside the M1 right(Dimensions (LxWxH): 60 x 70 x 35mm)? under a water cooled graphics card, The only 2 problems I can see are the tubing going around the outside of the graphics card but that's been done before anyway, and then it being on the bottom of the case so attaching a fill line.
since I was looking for reservoirs that might be able to fit inside the M1 for some time (I even thought about sending a product suggestion to EK) another one that could fit is the Tecnofront Micro Trap Reservoir Measures outside (L x B x H): 105mm x 68mm x 41mm
any other ones that would fit internally?

Yes, I think you could fit it with no hassle. What is the pump inside the H220 AIO from Swiftech? If I was about using it in the M1, I'd use it to enable the use of the Impact FCWB from EK, that 35X Pump has some serious performance. About the back reservoir, I find it kind of neat, but to be worth IMO it should house a D5 Pump that would be really awesome. I really like swiftech products, but I must confess I don't really like that H220 waterblock/pump combo :rolleyes:.. also If I were modding a PSU to make what i'd sugested I would resolder only the needed cables at smaller gauge (ridiculous short cables) with no sleeving at all (I remember a guy who had done that in a prodigy for his wife and it was awesome, can't find it, but was at OCN), this case is about power in tiny space. Back on the nano reservoir, I guess it would be possible to place it (and a 35X pump) straight above the full cover block for the impact (using a couple of 90º) and the top reservoir port could be routed up as a fill/drain port. Like in this prodigy

8009284922_c4a906829b.jpg

Swiftech has an improved H220 coming out in the very near future, I saw it up for order on NCIX.

Just did that, best of both worlds! Now if only they could combine the orders. :/

Last edited:

Just did that, best of both worlds! Now if only they could combine the orders. :/

Also: If only you could buy a panel set without the ODD slot, so you didn't have to order both the full set and a non-ODD top panel :rolleyes: But hey, this is small scale manufacturing/fulfillment. You take what you can get.

Is anyone else having trouble with payment through paypal?

I have tried two different cards, Visa and Mastercard and I only get an error.

Best to contact Paypal support. Log in and click the link at the top marked 'help'.

Should I receive e-mail confirmation after ordering M1 (apart from payment confirmation)?

The only thing I received is a email confirmation from paypal. So I would guess no. Maybe when it ships.

Is the Noctua NH-C12P SE14 the best cpu cooler that allow to put a HDD?

Not sure if it's the best, but it fits perfectly on my ASUS board. Just double checked my temps again yesterday, and I'm getting low-30's at idle and 40 to 50C during normal usage. With Prime95, most tests get me to low 70's and small FFTs gets me to 90C max. This is on a stock 4770k and only using a 120mm F12 fan with ~15mm gap (mounted on side rack).. should be slightly better using the included 140mm fan mounted direct to the heatsink.

Not sure if it's the best, but it fits perfectly on my ASUS board. Just double checked my temps again yesterday, and I'm getting low-30's at idle and 40 to 50C during normal usage. With Prime95, most tests get me to low 70's and small FFTs gets me to 90C max. This is on a stock 4770k and only using a 120mm F12 fan with ~15mm gap (mounted on side rack).. should be slightly better using the included 140mm fan mounted direct to the heatsink.

Good to know. I'm thinking of leaving a heatsink fanless on the CPU, and just running 120mm fans on the rack.

Also, Necere are you considering a third run ?
If it's justified by the demand, I don't see why not. It's more w360's call though, since he has to do most of the work of managing orders, shipping, and customer support.

Swiftech has an improved H220 coming out in the very near future, I saw it up for order on NCIX.
I'm assuming you're talking about the H220x which was shown back in January? If so, don't expect it to fit in the M1. The pump/res hanging off the side of the radiator will never fit inside.

The original H220/Glacer 240L and the upcoming Fractal Design Kelvin are still your best bet for expandable AIO watercooling in the M1.

I'm assuming you're talking about the H220x which was shown back in January? If so, don't expect it to fit in the M1. The pump/res hanging off the side of the radiator will never fit inside.

The original H220/Glacer 240L and the upcoming Fractal Design Kelvin are still your best bet for expandable AIO watercooling in the M1.

Hmm, well shit. NCIX just used a stock image of the H220 so I thought it was an upgraded model without a major design change. Ah well.

That Fractal Kelvin looks pretty slick though.

Back on the nano reservoir, I guess it would be possible to place it (and a 35X pump) straight above the full cover block for the impact (using a couple of 90º) and the top reservoir port could be routed up as a fill/drain port.

Unless you already own it, don't focus too much on the nano res as it has been discontinued

Yes I can see, but the first v1 was supposed to come with black feet, and they got shipped out with silver, just want to know if that is fixed in the v2.

Think Necere recently said that both black and silver cases would ship with only the black feet this time around. You can always buy the exact same feet in a different color, if needed.

Not that you shouldn't file use tax for online purchases but was tax applied the first go around?

+1

@aceman, can you list the specs?

Cheers.

Intel Core i7 4770K
ASUS Maximus VI Impact
Corsair Dominator 2*8GB 1866C9
Plextor M6E M.2 NGFF
2x HGST 1T 7200rpm 2.5" HDD
Silverstone SFX 450W
Silverstone PP05-E Flex Cables
Silverstone SOB02 6X BD-R
ASUS Titan Black

Cooling
EK-FB ASUS M6I - Acetal+Nickel CSQ,
EK Coolstream PE 240mm Radiator,
EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Pump,
EK- Adapter 90° G1/4 Black *4 (for Rad * VGA Block)
EK- Fitting 10/13mm G1/4 -Black *4 (2 for Rad 2 for Res)
EK-CSQ Adapter 90° G1/4 Black Nickel *6 (2 for mb block 2 for pump 2 for VGA)
EK-CSQ Fitting 10/13mm G1/4 -Black Nickel *6(2 for mb block 2 for pump 2 for VGA)
Barrow G1/4' extend 10mm *3
Barrow G1/4' extend 15mm *1
FrozenQ M1 Reservoir
Aquacomputer 1/4 Thread Aquacover Laing DDC Pump Top
Aquacomputer kryographics for GTX Titan Black, grey acrylic glass edition, nickel plated version
Aquacomputer Back plate for kryographics GTX Titan and GTX Titan Black, active XCS
Gentle Typhoon 2150rpm PWM*2
DEMCiflex Dust Filters 120mm*2
DEMCiflex Dust Filters 90mm*1

I keep wanting to do a proper custom loop because they look great, but then I remember I'll never really get to look at the guts of the m1 and doubt if the extra cost is worth it vs a h220 kind of cooler.

Back