NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Awesome! Now I'm just hoping there's more demand for custom filter for the top and right panels so I can order from demcifilters :D .. Speaking of which, I wonder if anyone has a blueprint for such filters then maybe we can start a thread for mass order?
The issue isn't demand - the issue is there's not a design that will work (well) for the top and right side. There's not enough space to avoid having the adhesive magnetic backing strips on the vents, which isn't something you want since it'll collect dust.

In fact you can send Demciflex a filter design and they'll make it to order, so there's nothing stopping you if you really want them.

Hi guys, I want to show my final build. I think it looks clean and tidy. Maybe in the future I install the water block on a graphics card. Under the graphics card I put the DEMCiflex Filter Ferrous Black/black O/D 280mm x 150mm (I/D 260mm x 130mm) . I'm waiting for another one DEMCiflex Filter Ferrous Black/black O/D 270mm x 130mm (I/D 250mm x 110mm) and I have a plan to stick it to the top panel.

Just a quick update: we've now surpassed MOQ, so we're good to go to place the production order later this month.

Nice! So 300 MOQ as before, or 300 silver and 300 black?

Be sure to give everyone here a heads-up before you start getting into "unmanageable" quantities ordered, in case you need to do a shut-off before the 22nd.

There is no need for top filters at least.

Would help eliminate dust settling into the M1 when it's powered down.

There's not enough space to avoid having the adhesive magnetic backing strips on the vents, which isn't something you want since it'll collect dust.

I'm thinking even partial adhesive strips, maybe cut narrow, would be enough to hold a top filter in-place.

If anybody does a custom top filter with success, please let us know!

Nice! So 300 MOQ as before, or 300 silver and 300 black?

Be sure to give everyone here a heads-up before you start getting into "unmanageable" quantities ordered, in case you need to do a shut-off before the 22nd.
300 total so far. At the current rate I don't anticipate we'll have any issues with the number of orders.

Would help eliminate dust settling into the M1 when it's powered down.

If anybody does a custom top filter with success, please let us know!

Also to keep bugs out. Yes, please let us know if someone makes one.

P.S. Is anyone selling an Asus or Asrock Z77 ITX? Please PM me.

This will most likely be a stretch, but would it be possible to have a Demciflex filter cover the entire top panel on the outside, or even replace the top panel?

Take the outline of the top cover and make a filter out of it. No ODD only, of course.

I have a question. I placed an order a couple days ago, then just checked my paypal account and realized my address was wrong. I just changed it. Am I all good? or is my order going to ship to a non-existant address?

This will most likely be a stretch, but would it be possible to have a Demciflex filter cover the entire top panel on the outside, or even replace the top panel?

Take the outline of the top cover and make a filter out of it. No ODD only, of course.
Cover the top - I don't see why not. Replace the top - no.

I have a question. I placed an order a couple days ago, then just checked my paypal account and realized my address was wrong. I just changed it. Am I all good? or is my order going to ship to a non-existant address?
Send us an email with your correct address and we'll check the order details.

1) Yes.

2) No, you can have both.

3) Maybe. See this post for a successful rad on the bottom implementation. I would note that you won't be able to have both a 120mm rad and a 3.5" HDD on the bottom.

4) There've been some... issues with it. FrozenQ had a fire a while back that IIRC damaged some equipment and set them back, and I think their quality has suffered as a result. Kind of a shame.

Take a look at the user build gallery, and you can probably find answers to many of these questions yourself.

Hey Necere! Thanks for the reply. Those pictures got me aching for a while now. The thing is, with that config, I'm out of options for a 3.5" mount, right? That's the last thing I'm trying to figure here.

Dual rads, ATX psu, fully WC'd system + ODD would be a dream. But maybe I'll have to give something up :p

Woot. I finally ordered 1 in silver. I'm glad I didn't miss this. I was going back and forth between black and silver but after going through the gallery, silver looks a little more elegant IMO.

Woot. I finally ordered 1 in silver. I'm glad I didn't miss this. I was going back and forth between black and silver but after going through the gallery, silver looks a little more elegant IMO.

I agree, I really like the silver too. This will be replacing my silver Jonsbo U2 ;)

Yeah. I had to cancel my previous order after looking at the gallery. Black is too common nowadays. Everyone is going black.

Silver give more pronounce look.

Yeah. I had to cancel my previous order after looking at the gallery. Black is too common nowadays. Everyone is going black.

Silver give more pronounce look.

I haven't dusted my M1 since I built it and it still looks like new, because dust is the same color as the M1. I also accidentally made a small scratch on the side panel but it's not visible because the metal underneath is almost the same color as the M1. Haha, enjoy your black case #213512 you sheeps! Silver is a color of both function and aesthetics.

I agree that silver looks better in pictures, but I also think black works much better in real life. I've tried both silver and white before, and i tent to go tired of it pretty quickly.

One quick question guys.
Where do you usually pay the customs?

I'm from U.K.
My first time ordering international :)
Thanks.

I haven't dusted my M1 since I built it and it still looks like new, because dust is the same color as the M1. I also accidentally made a small scratch on the side panel but it's not visible because the metal underneath is almost the same color as the M1. Haha, enjoy your black case #213512 you sheeps! Silver is a color of both function and aesthetics.

Lol.. your dust is silver?? Never had a single scratch break through in my over a decade old black-anodized Lian-Li.. the finish still looks like the day I bought it.

There's only 2 color choices, just pick whichever one makes you happy.. or get both! ;)

One quick question guys.
Where do you usually pay the customs?

I'm from U.K.
My first time ordering international :)
Thanks.

I'm not from UK so this might be different for you guys, but the shipment reaches customs before it reaches you. In my country an invoice with the customs fee is usually attached with the shipment when it reaches you or is sent separately. They'll probably make sure you know how to give them you money wne the time comes;)

Hi guys, I want to show my final build. I think it looks clean and tidy. Maybe in the future I install the water block on a graphics card. Under the graphics card I put the DEMCiflex Filter Ferrous Black/black O/D 280mm x 150mm (I/D 260mm x 130mm) . I'm waiting for another one DEMCiflex Filter Ferrous Black/black O/D 270mm x 130mm (I/D 250mm x 110mm) and I have a plan to stick it to the top panel.

Can you list the parts used? Cheers!

Can you list the parts used? Cheers!

P8Z77-I DELUXE, i5 3570k, H220, GTX 770, Silverstone 450W SFX, 2x SSD 840 PRO 256GB RAID 0, Silverstone Ultra Slim Sata Cable CP11, Silverstone Tek Flat Flexible Short Cable (PP05-E), 2x4GB Hyperx Kingstone memory, Demciflex filters :
1 x DEMCiflex Filter Ferrous Black/black O/D 280mm x 150mm (I/D 252mm x 122mm) on the bottom
1 x DEMCiflex Filter Ferrous Black/black O/D 270mm x 130mm (I/D 262mm x 102mm) on top ( still waiting for them )
1 x DEMCiflex Filter Ferrous Black/black O/D 100mm x 90mm (I/D 80mm x 70mm) back ( still waiting for them )
NCASE M1 120mm Square 2-Pack Dust Filters radiator
Silverstone ST45SF PSU Dust Filter

Black or silver? I solved that dilemma by buying one of each. :D
I'm having the same problem. I've only got a black ordered now, but the silver looks so sleek and modern, it's really tempting, especially when you consider they may be hard to get going forward. My poor wallet.

I'm not from UK so this might be different for you guys, but the shipment reaches customs before it reaches you. In my country an invoice with the customs fee is usually attached with the shipment when it reaches you or is sent separately. They'll probably make sure you know how to give them you money wne the time comes;)

Aha perfect. Good. Thanks for the info.

The user builds gallery is an awesome collection of various builds! The variations are impressive to admire in the one place! Found mine in an among the photos in a few places :)

Last edited:
Yeah in the original build thread someone plastidipped their panels white I believe
Also in the UK if it is delivered by Royal Mail or something after it gets here by air mail then they just put it in your nearest post office and mail you a letter and you have to go pick it up and pay customs, I've done it with Royal Mail but not sure how it works wit UPS or whatever TW air is

The user builds gallery is an awesome collection of various builds! The variations are impressive to admire in the one place! Found mine in an among the photos in a few places :)

+1.. really enjoyed looking at them. Guess mine wasn't nice enough to make the cut :(

Necere/W360: For people that want panel kits, is there a reason we can't just order them now as part of this production run?

+1.. really enjoyed looking at them. Guess mine wasn't nice enough to make the cut :(
Lol... sorry man. Most of those are pics I saved over the last few months, usually because they showcased a build well, or showed size comparisons with other objects/cases, or were just well-photographed. I'm sure I've missed more than a few. Link me your build and I'll see about adding it to the gallery.

Necere/W360: For people that want panel kits, is there a reason we can't just order them now as part of this production run?
Only that we haven't set it up yet. There's been enough demand that we're doing exactly that, though. LL already has a box in the works designed just for shipping the panels, and W360 is getting the shipping costs for it.

Only that we haven't set it up yet. There's been enough demand that we're doing exactly that, though. LL already has a box in the works designed just for shipping the panels, and W360 is getting the shipping costs for it.

Forgive me for prying, but - any idea as to how much the panels will cost (not including shipping)? I'm really intrigued to buy some silver panels for the sake of choice and the possibility for experimenting w/customizations...

Lol... sorry man. Most of those are pics I saved over the last few months, usually because they showcased a build well, or showed size comparisons with other objects/cases, or were just well-photographed. I'm sure I've missed more than a few. Link me your build and I'll see about adding it to the gallery.

Yeah, I understand.. there were a few really nice ones that I've seen here that didn't make it in. And mine were just crappy phone pics (2nd & last one looks okay, I think), so no big deal :)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040666625&post1040666625

After my M1 carrying bag arrives, I'm hoping to borrow a decent camera and take my M1 for a trip to the countryside for a scenic photoshoot, and then do another one after I buy a new desk and monitor. Always loved seeing electronics photographed in settings where they really don't belong..

Xbjur4u.jpg

I've noticed that with almost every M1 build, the PSU takes in hot air. Isn't that a bad for it?

For SFX it doesn't have to, usually: The PSU can be oriented to suck in air from the right side (if you are looking at the M1 face-forward), which it then expels vertically. So you actually isolate the PSU from the rest of the case, thermally speaking. You can see examples of this in the gallery in the OP.

Edit: Here's an example.
VJ7c9yB.jpg

Forgive me for prying, but - any idea as to how much the panels will cost (not including shipping)? I'm really intrigued to buy some silver panels for the sake of choice and the possibility for experimenting w/customizations...
Don't know yet.

I've noticed that with almost every M1 build, the PSU takes in hot air. Isn't that a bad for it?
The majority of the builds in the gallery have the PSU intake facing the right side, so I'm not too sure what you mean. In general though, it's not ideal to have it intaking warm air. The fan may run faster (assuming it's temperature controlled), and it's possible it could shorten the lifespan. But having the PSU fan intake from inside the case is still pretty common in other cases as well.

For SFX it doesn't have to, usually: The PSU can be oriented to suck in air from the right side (if you are looking at the M1 face-forward), which it then expels vertically. So you actually isolate the PSU from the rest of the case, thermally speaking. You can see examples of this in the gallery in the OP.

Edit: Here's an example.

Ohhh, okay. I'll still keep this case in consideration than. :p

Don't know yet.

The majority of the builds in the gallery have the PSU intake facing the right side, so I'm not too sure what you mean. In general though, it's not ideal to have it intaking warm air. The fan may run faster (assuming it's temperature controlled), and it's possible it could shorten the lifespan. But having the PSU fan intake from inside the case is still pretty common in other cases as well.

It seems a majority of builds have the PSU fan facing inwards, pulling air from the inside of the case, which is certainly warmer air. The alternative is facing the intake outwards, but the close proximity of the side panel, its somewhat restrictive grille pattern (which is how it is for various reasons), partial coverage of the psu intake, and the potential installation of a dust filter may to varying degrees negate the benefits of the cooler outside air intake.

In my case with two 120mm bottom fans, and a non-blower GPU with its fans removed, I find that the side panel behind the motherboard is responsible for a notable quantity of the hot air from the GPU, therefore meaning that mounting the PSU either way is invariably going to be taking hot air from the GPU.

For many builds, you must accept a degree of warmer air intake, and as necere indicates, this is not the only case that is limited by that.

Fortunately, (or unfortunately?) my combination of parts encroached on the forward side fan area, leaving an open area that cannot take a 3.5" hdd. Naturally, this area provided a clear flow pathway of fresh air to the PSU, and experimentation demonstrated an advantage in ducting this flow. Several variations later I end up with a setup that replaced the PSU fan with a 92mm and utilised the side fan, together creating an effective PSU air flow pathway.

The results show reduced PSU exhaust temperatures, and most significantly, at sound levels that make this very much HTPC capable.

This is only possible for people who have gone with an air-cooling setup as opposed to a water cooling setup. For the (idle) noise conscious, an air cooled setup is a natural choice, and in the NCaseM1, a ducted air intake for the PSU, and PSU fan replacement is highly recommended.

An as this is a compact and mobile case, A more recent addition to my case is a set of speakers :)

These have an onboard DAC and Amp. It is purely USB driven, both power and signal, through an internal motherboard USB header. Enough sound volume for practically most uses, and far superior than almost all internal speakers I have heard by far. Especially those on a "desktop" machine.

Last edited:
It seems a majority of builds have the PSU fan facing inwards, pulling air from the inside of the case, which is certainly warmer air.
Well, you made me curious so I went and counted the builds in the gallery:

PSU intake on left (inside): 4
PSU intake on right (outside): 17

These are just the ones where I could tell from the pics, and I didn't count the ones with ATX PSUs. But at least from this sample, there's a clear preference for outside intake.

Back