Napera Indigo Beta

Thanks for the suggestions on supporting Opera for the administrator pages. We'll look at what it might take to support it.

IE 7 or later for admin functions is correct. Supporting IE 6 for administrators would dramatically increase the amount of time required in development and testing, since it was released in 2001. Many sites have dropped IE6 support e.g. Gmail no longer supports it.

Most admins seem to be fairly up to date with browsers which is why we support Internet Explorer 7+, Firefox 2+, Safari 3+, Google Chrome 1+

End users can use pretty much any browser of course. It's only the admin pages on MyNapera.com that take advantage of newer browsers.
 
Thanks for the opportunity to play with a new device. I wish it wasn't so busy around here lately or I'd have had more time to invest into it. At least I got to put a decent amount of hours into it the first week I got it.

I finished all the surveys the other day, its a very cool device... i think if the price points are like what was suggested in the surveys i think i could get work to get some of these... even not for all our desktops, it would definately make a great security addition to our wireless access points with the captive portal/authenticaion/rules etc

if you could pair this up with HP procurve equipment (lifetime warranty FTW) then you would have a pretty killer device

I agree. I love HP networking hardware, and the wireless authentication was great.
 
I wanted to follow up on this older thread. We wrapped up the Indigo beta a few months back. Thanks for everyone's input which was incredibly valuable for us.

We announced our relationship with Marvell at Interop this week (http://www.napera.com/blog/?p=704), which was the impetus for the Indigo testing. Marvell silicon powers many of the switches available on the market today, and you will see our first announcements with switch vendors shortly. We also got a great review from Infoworld last week (ranked us at 8.2 - see http://www.napera.com/blog/?p=700) so we are confident our technology is ideal for broad deployment.

We will be doing a followup beta in the coming months for people that want to see how the Napera service has evolved since Indigo. Stay tuned!
 
I wanted to follow up on this older thread. We wrapped up the Indigo beta a few months back. Thanks for everyone's input which was incredibly valuable for us.

We announced our relationship with Marvell at Interop this week (http://www.napera.com/blog/?p=704), which was the impetus for the Indigo testing. Marvell silicon powers many of the switches available on the market today, and you will see our first announcements with switch vendors shortly. We also got a great review from Infoworld last week (ranked us at 8.2 - see http://www.napera.com/blog/?p=700) so we are confident our technology is ideal for broad deployment.

We will be doing a followup beta in the coming months for people that want to see how the Napera service has evolved since Indigo. Stay tuned!


Do those that participated the first time around get a shot at the next one?
 
Do those that participated the first time around get a shot at the next one?

+1, I would definitely like to be a part of the next beta.

also did you ever get the indigo running to your satisfaction?





anyone know how to edit the temperature settings for the overheating alerts?
 
Last edited:
+1, I would definitely like to be a part of the next beta.

also did you ever get the indigo running to your satisfaction?





anyone know how to edit the temperature settings for the overheating alerts?


I got it to be about 75% accurate on the reporting of device health. I wish there was a way to ignore certain devices as we have a few network devices such as printers, cameras, and thin clients.

I never did get the radius to work, but it may have been a limitation of the laptop I was working with.

We recently had a router take a dump at work, part of trouble shooting the issues had the napera removed from the network along with our untangle box to make sure it wasn't any of those devices.

Because of the recent layoff, I've been spending more time on the shop floor, so, I haven't been able to get the napera & untangle box back in the mix, or, play with the wireless. Last week I did get both AP's setup on a time schedule, about all I had time for as of late.
 
I wanted to follow up on this older thread. We wrapped up the Indigo beta a few months back. Thanks for everyone's input which was incredibly valuable for us.

We announced our relationship with Marvell at Interop this week (http://www.napera.com/blog/?p=704), which was the impetus for the Indigo testing. Marvell silicon powers many of the switches available on the market today, and you will see our first announcements with switch vendors shortly. We also got a great review from Infoworld last week (ranked us at 8.2 - see http://www.napera.com/blog/?p=700) so we are confident our technology is ideal for broad deployment.

We will be doing a followup beta in the coming months for people that want to see how the Napera service has evolved since Indigo. Stay tuned!

Great to hear! I have loved the device so far and am still using it daily.

Thanks again for the opportunity! Would love to be apart of the next beta as well.
 
I got it to be about 75% accurate on the reporting of device health. I wish there was a way to ignore certain devices as we have a few network devices such as printers, cameras, and thin clients.

I never did get the radius to work, but it may have been a limitation of the laptop I was working with.

We recently had a router take a dump at work, part of trouble shooting the issues had the napera removed from the network along with our untangle box to make sure it wasn't any of those devices.

Because of the recent layoff, I've been spending more time on the shop floor, so, I haven't been able to get the napera & untangle box back in the mix, or, play with the wireless. Last week I did get both AP's setup on a time schedule, about all I had time for as of late.

You're able to disable health monitoring per port. Is it not available? I have nas boxes, media players, and network printers setup on the lan and had to disable monitoring on them. I never got the radius working either howver. It never got an ip for some reason. I will try it again one of these days.
 
You're able to disable health monitoring per port. Is it not available? I have nas boxes, media players, and network printers setup on the lan and had to disable monitoring on them. I never got the radius working either howver. It never got an ip for some reason. I will try it again one of these days.

I'll look at it again one of these days when I got time.
 
Just for folks on the HardForum....

Napera is launching a second closed beta test of our new online service, codenamed Cobalt. The Napera Cobalt service will give you an advanced look at your network and the state of every computer connected to a compatible switch. This is our final beta release before Cobalt will be made available on a range of popular networking products from major vendors.

We will ship you a fully functional, business class, 24-port gigabit network switch. Install the switch on your network, use the Cobalt service for 30 days and keep the switch, with our thanks for participation in our beta program. Give us your feedback, ideas, and comments.

This is a limited offer for network professionals who want to get a glimpse into the future of online security services, and help to shape that future. Fill out our short survey and tell us a little bit about yourself. We want to hear from you!

The beta test is open to US residents only and will take 30 days. Approved participants are responsible for hardware shipping and handling.

Apply to participate in the Napera Cobalt Beta Test at tinyurl dot com/cobaltbeta
 
Just got the email and signed up.

Hopefully I will get in this one as well, had a great time with indigo and I think I provided some good feedback working with your great support team and such ;)
 
*sigh* always US residents only, no love for us Canadian sysadmins :(
 
Man I feel excited hoping I can get in on this. I love playing with new hardware (take that however you want)
 
I'd post the full URL but the forum wouldn't let me.

It's tinyurl dot com/cobaltbeta

Consider that the first test! :D
 
Heres a shortned link that goes to the tinyurl link napera posted ;)
http://xs.my/pqvftn

Makes it easier so you can click on it for the lazy :p

Any idea on when we will hear if we made it in the program?
 
Last edited:
I actually got an email, but if you didnt look at their post above. At the end of the quote is a tiny url you can take the survey at.

Duh never mind. I was still waking up. I got to work and it was in my spam folder, then I just read that post:tard:

I applied.

Is it the same hardware as the first beta with different software on it?
 
Is it the same hardware as the first beta with different software on it?

Yes, it will be the same switch hardware platform. All of the user interface has been moved to the online service, and the focus of this release is on the monitoring of PC's, rather than enforcement and/or guest access.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it. We've set up a user community at http://getsatisfaction.com/napera_networks as well.
 
Yes, it will be the same switch hardware platform. All of the user interface has been moved to the online service, and the focus of this release is on the monitoring of PC's, rather than enforcement and/or guest access.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it. We've set up a user community at http://getsatisfaction.com/napera_networks as well.

What happens if the internet goes out and I need to manage the switch?:p

Or is it going to be just the monitoring of the PC's thats done online?

Will health enforcement and guest access(captive portal) still be a function?

Will the fans be quieter?:D The one complaint I got from co-workers was the whine of the fans.
 
What happens if the internet goes out and I need to manage the switch?:p

Or is it going to be just the monitoring of the PC's thats done online?

Correct. All the switch management remains local on the switch. It's the monitoring function that lives online.

Will health enforcement and guest access(captive portal) still be a function?

Will the fans be quieter?:D The one complaint I got from co-workers was the whine of the fans.

Health enforcement and guest will be in a future release.

I'll make sure we send you a special unit with an extra 10db on the fan noise. :D
 
lol, the fans are insane on the switch.

Probably one of the loudest switches I have ever heard, almost up there with 1U servers! :eek: :p
 
I filled out survey the other day, hopefully I can get on it as well
 
got in on the second beta. I wonder if we'll be able to piggyback off the switch from the previous beta.
 
Back
Top