Napera Indigo Beta

Well I had to not go for the beta this round sadly. I really wanted too, but a last minute trip came up and it happens to fall directly during the beta period :(

Maybe next time.

got in on the second beta. I wonder if we'll be able to piggyback off the switch from the previous beta.

I'm wondering if they can be modded to have both feature sets of the software on each one:D

Hoping ours will be coming in the next few weeks

Well I had to not go for the beta this round sadly. I really wanted too, but a last minute trip came up and it happens to fall directly during the beta period :(

Maybe next time.

Shit, I forgot about my trip.

Oh well. I'll only be gone 6 days, so we'll see.

Got mine today. Will prob get it on the network next week sometime. Prob will pop it open and disbale a fan or mod it so its not so loud.

have to pick mine up from fedex..

while were back in beta.. have you guys noticed an abnormally high readings for temps on the switch? I have it email me temp alerts and here's an example of what it's been spamming me...

Alert: Current temperature: ambient 41 C [105 F] chip 94 C [201 F]; ambient exceeds 40 C limit
Occurred at: Jul 24th 2009, 05:55 PM
Account: xxxxx
Serial: 100100046942362

the room that the switch is stored in is averaging about 72-74 degrees.

have to pick mine up from fedex..

while were back in beta.. have you guys noticed an abnormally high readings for temps on the switch? I have it email me temp alerts and here's an example of what it's been spamming me...

Alert: Current temperature: ambient 41 C [105 F] chip 94 C [201 F]; ambient exceeds 40 C limit
Occurred at: Jul 24th 2009, 05:55 PM
Account: xxxxx
Serial: 100100046942362

the room that the switch is stored in is averaging about 72-74 degrees.

Any of the vents blocked or anything?

My indigo version runs very cool, albeit very loudly ;)

I'm going to pop one open at work and see what it has to offer for voltages. Methinks that if the fans where to run at 7v as opposed to 12, they could be bearable.

that's the thing.. it doesn't feel hot at all.. it just sends me emails telling me it is.

So, I got my Cobalt all fired up and in the rack. Activated it and then started playing. Set the native (untagged) VLAN to 32 to match up with my Cisco switch, set the static IP/subnet/gateway/DNS. Setup my trunk port on the Cisco and I can ping it and access the web gui. Started plugging stuff in and all of a sudden the web gui doesn't work anymore. Cycled power and I get the web gui again. Not a big deal, could be a fluke. Set the first access port as untagged on VLAN 32 and hit the save button, web gui times out for 15 seconds and then comes back. The same thing happens when I configure all the other ports. I am hoping this isn't a "feature"?? I understand that this software/service is supposed to run on other vendor's switches but jeez, configuring ports on this thing is a real pain in the ass. :p

The first switch I got, all network traffic comes to a stand still after about 5 days, so, it was decommissioned. I tried to get support but....so it sits not being used.

I wish I knew enough on how to reprogram it, maybe it could have pfsense on it?:p

Hmmm, I wonder if that is another feature? :D

I wanted to add that when the port configs are changed EVERYTHING on the switch is unreachable. It's almost like the damn thing is writing the config and then rebooting every time a change is made....

I'm going to pop one open at work and see what it has to offer for voltages. Methinks that if the fans where to run at 7v as opposed to 12, they could be bearable.

Ya, I have looked in the indigo and it is 3 40mm fans, no idea on the voltage though.

There actually is another extra header so there could be 4 fans :eek:

They are not that loud on their own, but when you put the case on the vent bars add more turbulence to the air and really make them loud.

I have experienced the same thing, any change to a single port requires you to lose access to all ports during the 10-15 second reload.

I've also noticed that if a machine in restricted access mode for any reason (NAP client isn't installed, XP3 isn't installed, etc) and you add that machine to the exception list. It isn't an instant change. It required a switch reboot for me to get those machines off the restricted access list and onto the exception list.

Anyone have a USB null modem cable that would loan me? I'll pay shipping both ways and a bit for your time.

I've found a bug with the admin password and the only way to reset the unit to the defaults is with an USB null modem cable. I'd rather not pay $35 plus shipping for one online unless I really have to.
So, I got my Cobalt all fired up and in the rack. Activated it and then started playing. Set the native (untagged) VLAN to 32 to match up with my Cisco switch, set the static IP/subnet/gateway/DNS. Setup my trunk port on the Cisco and I can ping it and access the web gui. Started plugging stuff in and all of a sudden the web gui doesn't work anymore. Cycled power and I get the web gui again. Not a big deal, could be a fluke. Set the first access port as untagged on VLAN 32 and hit the save button, web gui times out for 15 seconds and then comes back. The same thing happens when I configure all the other ports. I am hoping this isn't a "feature"?? I understand that this software/service is supposed to run on other vendor's switches but jeez, configuring ports on this thing is a real pain in the ass. :p

The unit supports ssh, at least for support.

Also, if you got to mynapera.com/debug, you can reset it back to factory settings iirc.

There was another page too you could get to but I don't remember off the top of my head.

I noticed it likes to drop network connectivity on me, which wouldn't be such a huge deal, however, our shop's software is really sensitive to connections to the sql server. The network printer/scanner is also touchy. It takes awhile before it sees I am back on the network even if its just like 10 sec which is a major pita when I need to print something in the now.

Also, if you got to mynapera.com/debug, you can reset it back to factory settings iirc.

There was another page too you could get to but I don't remember off the top of my head.

That would be great, except I can't login. What ever you do, don't create a password that starts with '$' because if you do, you won't be able to log in to the switch.

We have confirmed this as a bug and until I can find a USB null modem cable, I'm limited to the web based access.

My switch today did this:

I was able to use the network and all its resources.

I rebooted, and got on ebay/internet, using outlook.

Boom. Captive portal page. So I install the enabler. I can use the internet. No network resources, none. No outlook, no mapped drives, can't RDP to a server, or use my network printer.

WTF. I can RDP home, but, not to the servers internally...going through the switch menus, I did not see where I can make my PC exempt, at least not like one could with the indigo switch.

Frustrated, and not have heard back about an intermittent connectivity error from the previous day, I unplugged my PC from it and bypassed it. Everything worked as it should.

Anyone hacking their switches or modding them?

I took the indigo switch home from work, I am copying the files from it now, going to see whats all there...

usb null modem cable as is usb to serial null modem or an A to A cable?

I believe a usb to serial null modem. He didn't specify, but once he started talking about Hyperterm I assumed it to be a usb to serial null modem cable I would need.

Anyone hacking their switches or modding them?

I took the indigo switch home from work, I am copying the files from it now, going to see whats all there...

Take that back. I'm able to copy some files, but not all files since using the support log in I can not chmod the files.

I did find the passwd file..

root:*:0:0:root:/var:/bin/false
altus:*:100:100:altus:/var:/bin/false
support:m9XIf6UMsU352:101:101:support:/tmp/support:/bin/ash
nobody:*:65534:65534:nobody:/var:/bin/false

I'm no ace on the unix file system, but it appears theses are the 4 users for this device, and the only active one is support.

I can not change this file, the file system is read only.

Kinda sucks. Was hoping to change the cobalt switch to indigo.

Basically, what I found inside of the unit is accurate to Grentz's point, fans are quiet until the top is put on.

There is also only 5v, 3v, 1v supplied internially. Fans look like they are capable of drawing 1w? I'll look more into those in the AM.

I'll get some pics of the internals in the AM also.

I really wish I could find a data sheet on the banks of dip switches and more info on how to write programs to these.

Its all Napera's own design FYI.

So finding spec sheets and stuff is probably not easy :p

Altus Networks, what the boards are labeled with, is Napera. It does look like a good setup though and the fans and such seem to be quality parts. Then again they have said many times this testing is more about the software than the hardware since the software they are hoping to load on others switches in the future.

as unlikely as it is, it would be cool if this software ended up on cisco/linksys/netgear prosafe/etc. stuff.

i think its more likely to end up on other brands before the bigger names see it. such as extreme, foundry, etc.

I lost my guide thingy that came with the switch. I'm pretty sure there was a link in there to do the surveys or whatever that we're supposed to do. Can someone either post that or IM it to me? spanks!

Captain,

There should be a link to a PDF of the guide in the confirmation email you received. If there was not or you cannot find it, PM me and I will send you the PDF.

Captain,

There should be a link to a PDF of the guide in the confirmation email you received. If there was not or you cannot find it, PM me and I will send you the PDF.

PM Sent. I couldn't find that PDF link anywhere in any of the emails I got from Napera. :(

It's a bit disapointing the cobalt doesnt have the radius server feature that the indigo did.
Were you able to eventually get all the files scotty8? it would be cool if the cobalt could be turned into an indigo.

It's a bit disapointing the cobalt doesnt have the radius server feature that the indigo did.
Were you able to eventually get all the files scotty8? it would be cool if the cobalt could be turned into an indigo.

Negative. My sinus infection kicked it up a notch so I been doing LOTS of sleeping, 10hrs last night. Suppose to fly out Friday and I don't want to be sick while on vacation.

I got a few other tricks up my sleeve. I haven't given up on it. Goal today is to get some pics of it up. I said I would the other day but I been doing a lot of resting.

And yes, it does suck there is no radius server feature, or, maybe it doesn't? I couldn't get it working correctly with the Indigo switch:mad:

Since I got the switch at home, I'm going to give it another run.

Ya, I tried with the radius server and never got it working. I dunno if it was just me or if it was not really working.

Ya, I tried with the radius server and never got it working. I dunno if it was just me or if it was not really working.

What did you use for hardware? I used a linksys AP modded with dd-wrt and a router with dd-wrt. I set the settings correct, in fact, I spend I bet 4-6 hrs playing with it to no avail. The wifi would just keep going in a continuous loop of trying to get an IP but never would.

I tried with 2 different laptops also, and with our AD server doing dhcp.

They also do have client settings you need to have for the connection. I tried it on both laptops and got nadda.

as unlikely as it is, it would be cool if this software ended up on cisco/linksys/netgear prosafe/etc. stuff.

i think its more likely to end up on other brands before the bigger names see it. such as extreme, foundry, etc.

Our goal is to make the Napera web service widely available on a range of network devices, including switches, firewalls and wireless access points from multiple vendors. As mentioned above, the Cobalt beta is all about testing the web service. The switch hardware, and the local switch UI are really just a platform to beta test that for Cobalt.

We are working to resolve most of the beta issues reported last week - thanks for your patience. Ironically a lot of the switch side issues seen in the beta are due to the embedded switch management software. In a real deployment you would be using the standard switch software from your vendor of choice in combination with Cobalt, so several of these issues wouldn't occur.

To answer another question asked earlier, our goal is to ultimately offer the authentication and enforcement features (such as RADIUS and WPA-E) seen in Indigo in a later release. For Cobalt beta the focus is monitoring. For most of our users, the ability to monitor PC's and their update status has been a compelling reason to use Cobalt. Enforcement and authentication adds a lot of complexity and we think most customers will start with just the monitoring service.

Our goal is to make the Napera web service widely available on a range of network devices, including switches, firewalls and wireless access points from multiple vendors. As mentioned above, the Cobalt beta is all about testing the web service. The switch hardware, and the local switch UI are really just a platform to beta test that for Cobalt.

We are working to resolve most of the beta issues reported last week - thanks for your patience. Ironically a lot of the switch side issues seen in the beta are due to the embedded switch management software. In a real deployment you would be using the standard switch software from your vendor of choice in combination with Cobalt, so several of these issues wouldn't occur.

To answer another question asked earlier, our goal is to ultimately offer the authentication and enforcement features (such as RADIUS and WPA-E) seen in Indigo in a later release. For Cobalt beta the focus is monitoring. For most of our users, the ability to monitor PC's and their update status has been a compelling reason to use Cobalt. Enforcement and authentication adds a lot of complexity and we think most customers will start with just the monitoring service.

When the Beta is up, I can haz indigo on my cobalt?:D

Whoo hoo, my father just let me know that we received an acceptance email (6 days after we received it :rolleyes:), no wonder I do the nIT and he does the drillin and fillin (dentist). I should have had it sent to the main office email, but I didn't want the other in the office able to see it. Now I have to contact napera as our office paypal addy is different than the email I used. Anyways I am stoked about this, I love beta testing stuff.

Back