Name games that don't work with SLI

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
Name games that don't work with SLI

I'm posting a sister thread here:
https://hardforum.com/threads/name-games-that-dont-work-with-crossfire.1930286/

I'd like recent examples:
Let's put a timestamp on this little inquiry. Specifically, in the last year. I don't care what happened with your multi GPU graphics card setup 5 years ago. How is that at all relevant to today with different drivers, different cards, different DX, Open GL, Vulcan etc.?

Last edited:
My recent personal experience gaming at 3440x1440 @ 60Hz:

Just Cause 3 - Not supported out of the box, it can be forced with a bunch of tweaks, but it crashed constantly.
Mad Max - Supported out of the box, crashed constantly any time SLI was enabled.
Doom (2016) - Not supported out of the box, not supported months later when I played it again. Still played great on a single 980Ti though.
Arkham Knight - Never worked, barely worked WITHOUT SLI.

Most other games worked OK, but the scaling was rarely that good. Some games rocked with it (Shadows of Mordor and FO4 were noticeable smoother for me with SLI). Most other games it was hard for me to tell SLI on or off.

My complaint against SLI is purely the value. Say it works on 75% of games within a couple months of release and driver tweaks. And say you get an average of 50-60% scaling. You're paying a whole lot of money and headache for that performance.

Wolfenstein New World Order didn't play SLI when I bought my SLI 970's, no idea if it is still the same now, but I do remember there were numerous attempts at getting it to work (even nVidia tried AFR setting before defaulting to Single card only).

Wouldnt a list of working games with sli be cleaner and easier?

I'm trying to learn why the general dislike of multi GPU exists on this forum. I'm assuming the vast majority of games either work, or at least aren't detrimental to performance with multi GPU enabled. I sure hope that's true anyway. So assuming most titles work, it would be easier/quicker to identify those that don't. Then the next part is to see if someone says game x, y, and z don't work, does someone else say they work fine on their system? I.E. are some of the complaints of multi GPU because of specific setup issues unique to a particular system?
Perhaps caused by not a big enough power supply, poor case cooling, or old frustrations that are no longer relevant?

Perhaps Red vs Green issues which are extrapolatated beyond what is appropriate or fair - without recent experience in the others camp? A vocal minority voicing displeasure that then becomes parroted by the masses --without recent or relevant personal experience?

Just curious.

There is also another issue (which I outlined in another thread) of hitting the engine's fps cap, or your monitor's refresh rate. Usually the latter isn't an issue for 4k/60, 1440p/144hz or anything in between, but the former can sometimes skew the results against the mGPU setup, especially if a single gpu would already run close to the fps cap.

That is one of the possible explanations as to why Maxwell SLI scaled relatively well across most resolutions, but Pascal suddenly dropped the ball with SLI scaling, EXCEPT for 4k resolution, where it still scaled relatively well. I have no other possible explanation for this apart from conspiracy theories, and came to the conclusion that SLI at 1440p or less is practically a no go. At 4k, it still makes a lot of sense.

This is probably a minority however.

Just Cause 3 - Not supported out of the box, it can be forced with a bunch of tweaks, but it crashed constantly.
Mad Max - Supported out of the box, crashed constantly any time SLI was enabled.
Doom (2016) - Not supported out of the box, not supported months later when I played it again. Still played great on a single 980Ti though.

Most other games worked OK, but the scaling was rarely that good. Some games rocked with it (Shadows of Mordor and FO4 were noticeable smoother for me with SLI). Most other games it was hard for me to tell SLI on or off.

My complaint against SLI is purely the value. Say it works on 75% of games within a couple months of release and driver tweaks. And say you get an average of 50-60% scaling. You're paying a whole lot of money and headache for that performance.

Doom supports SLI out of the box. Works great on my PC. Just cant use it in Vulkan.

Reactions: elvn
like this
I'd much rather have a first-hand "bad" experience list to know what to stay away from, especially since I'm considering picking up a second 1080. I can get a "supported" list from NVidia, but some games that aren't officially supported with SLI actually work (either out of the box or with some tweaks), and some games that are officially supported run like garbage in SLI.

I haven't used SLI since I had dual 680s and am much more familiar with current on-the-ground Crossfire support....

This plus games would sporadically stop working. BF4 was a big one for me. Work great for two months then bam, stuttering, ect. Kept happening over and over and I usually only have a few minutes to play. SLi was essentially destroying the only play time I had... It was actually a BF4 bug that pushed me over the edge and I ditched my 2nd Titan XM.

This is my general conclusion after 12+ years of dealing with mGPU setups, both SLI and Crossfire. When considering mGPU you need to ask yourself two primary questions (apart from the usual cost, power/heat aspects):
  • Do you absolutely need the extra horsepower to run your settings/resolution and can no single GPU get you there?
  • Do most of the games you play have good mGPU support?
If either of those questions can be answered as "no", then stick with a single GPU.

SLI wasn't supported well last time I had it which was Titan X (maxwell) and every game I played on those cards had bad support, Witcher 3 (flickering, though it worked properly at launch), Fallout 4 (minimal scaling with no official support), Metal Gear Solid 5 (no support), Dark Souls 3 (caused hitching and reduced performance).

So you made at least two or three threads about the same thing when there are at least two current threads already listed by other people which cover essentially the same thing conversely. Unless people hop from one to the other you are going to be missing pertinent info and replies in each.

Threads added by you

https://hardforum.com/threads/name-...with-multi-gpu.1930283/page-2#post-1042969663

https://hardforum.com/threads/name-games-that-dont-work-with-sli.1930282/

Current threads already discussing sli support:
Convince me not to SLi 1080 Ti (thread)

How good is SLI support in newer games?(thread)

If your performance were a car it would be more like...
It goes the speed of other cars on 20% of the roads, but on the other 80% of the roads it goes 25% to 90% faster.
Included in that 80% is the majority of the most popular games of the last three years.

I'd throw that whole babel review and chart out. It's obviously biased. Just look up 1080sli and titan pascal sli review sites and you will get very different results.
That Babel site refused to run direct x 11 mode on many of those games which require it for sli scaling support, and they also refused to do simple known sli enabling workarounds/profiles on others... and also seemed to have missed some sli enabling patches on others. It seems very biased considering this. Google the titan pascal sli and gtx 1080sli benchmark sites to get a more fair look.

There is a difference between whether SLI performance is worthwhile and viable,
and whether a particular person's parameters make sli a good choice for them.

To name a few considerations.. budget, existing rig, upgrade path, monitor resolution, demand high hz gameplay/aesthetics?
ok with dialing down settings (how much?) - to get high fps and hz (100+ avg) on a high rez, high hz monitor?, favorite types of games and titles, also game library/backlog.

Upcoming/Recent Game Releases 2017
--------------------------------------------------------------
Unreal Engine 4.15 HDR, SLI .. could be implemented in a lot of UE games
Final Fantasy XV development showcased 1080 sli

Unity Engine now has support for VRWorks, suppors VR SLI and More March 17, 2016 <-- tweaktown
GDC 2016: Unity Game Engine to Add VRWorks Support <- nvidia blogs
(recent unity games with potential? .. P.A.M.E.L.A. , Vikings:Wolves of Midgard, Syberia 3, System Shock remake, Strafe)

Mass Effect Andromeda ... SLI confirmed by Dev
MiddleEarth: Shadow of War (SLI likely)

Prey:Arkane ... CryEngine , so potentially SLI support.. nothing confirmed
..................." it’s a different engine so the constraints are different. In the case of Dishonored 2 we created a new engine really, even though it’s based on idTech most of it has been redone. In the case of Prey we’re using CryEngine and it’s an engine that’s already shipped stuff before, so it’s not the same configuration. "

Warhammer 40k (sli manual methods, UnrealEngine 4 game has sli potential in new UE4 HDR/SLI)
Resident Evil 7 (sli manual method working, last several RE's had sli patched in so potentially dev patched)
Conan Exiles (manual sli fix.. Unreal Engine 4 game, could implement new SLI and HDR UE framework)
Tekken 7 ... UnrealEngine 4 game so has sli potential
Dead Island 2 ... UnrealEngine 4 game

Dead Rising 4 (sli patched/nvidia driver support ... state of game??)

South Park: The Fractured But Whole .. same Snowdrop Engine as Tom Clancy's: The Division which supports SLI

Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 .. CyrEngine
..................................(beta version.. CI Games Dev "Chatia" : We're working on providing the SLI support to the game.)
..................................http://www.tweaktown.com/news/55090/ghost-sniper-warrior-3-multi-gpu-support-dx12/index.html

Ghost Recon: Wildlands ... official SLI support by devs , ongoing via patches (latest early march 2017)
Patch 1.1.5 notes are below, and the update is around 4GB depending on your client.
  • Multi-GPU improved support: Worked with partners to improve both SLI and Crossfire support. Various stuttering and graphical corruption issues have now been fixed.
  • Quad-core CPUs improved support:Several freezes and performance issues have been
The Surge ... Deck 13's proprietary "Fledge Engine" .. ???

Dirt 4 .....http://wccftech.com/dirt-4-appears-nvidia-drivers-sli-3d-support-announcement-incoming/
.............http://www.dsogaming.com/news/dirt-...rs-rated-excellent-for-3d-vision-sli-profile/

Most Played Games 2016 (general)
-----------------------------------------------------

CS:GO
World of Warcraft ....SLI
Dota 2
Overwatch .... SLI
Hearthstone
League of Legends
Far Cry Primal ... SLI
Euro Truck Simulator ......
Tom Clancy's The Division ... SLI

Steam's Most Played 2016
---------------------------------
Dota 2........
CS:GO.......
Team Fortress 2 .............
Grand Theft Auto V ......... 2560 x1440 ~ 65% increase, 4k 53% increase
Civilization V SLI ... ......... 2560 x1600 .. 70 to almost 100% scaling
No Man's Sky ................ console port w/ poor optimization in general, patches, issues
........................................reddit user 'how to' sli after nvidia driver release support .. planned fixes by developer stated Dec 2016
XCOM 2 .......................... SLI here originally manually and later officially in patch nov 2016
Dark Souls III .................. SLI profile day 1. dsogaming post patch "SLI scaling was amazing and we did not notice any stutters while gaming" . "fps to be essential in such a game. Therefore, those interested in such high resolutions will need to invest in a high end sli system"
Paladins.......

Peak Player Count Steam
------------------------------
Dota 2
CS:Go
No Man's Sky
XCOM 2
Dark Souls III
Paladins (overwatch-like free to play)

Selection of games from Metacritic Top PC games 2016
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Witcher 3: Blood and Wine SLI 64%+ scaling (hairworks disabled)
Overwatch SLI
Dark Souls III SLI
XCOM 2 SLI
Civilization VI SLI, CPU bottleneck .. e.g. here.. 780ti 54fps.. 780ti sli 92fps .. gtx 1080 single, 980 sli, 1080sli all 92fps.
Battlefield 1 SLI , scaling varies from patch to patch
World of Warcraft Legion SLI
Forza Horizon 3 - nope
Rise of the Tomb Raider SLI - great scaling
Total War: Warhammer SLI , small scaling .. examples
Dishonored 2 general performance issues being patched out.. SLI working official patch
F1 2016 ... general bugs in game. crossfire officially, no sli officially
Titanfall 2 ... originally - Titanfall 1profile works... some flicker staring at sun, text flicker in menus (probably overlay issue)
...................new - Feb 2017 patch
...................Improved SLI/Crossfire compatibility. Players are recommended to not use TSAA when running in multi-GPU mode because TSAA can negatively affect performance scaling.
..................Fixed various UI scaling issues when running in Eyefinity/Surround ultrawide resolution.
DOOM SLI , initially very poor scaling ~ 23%. Patched Nov 2016 near 100% scaling
Final Fantasy IX
Grim Dawn .. sli manual fix, near 100% scaling
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD remaster ??
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided .. SLI patched nov 2016 .. scaling ??, (crossfire scales 100%)
Hitman ??
Fallout 4 : Far Harbor SLI scaling ~ 70%
Tom Clancy's The Division SLI patched.. dex 2016 e.g. gtx 1070 max detail AF 1440p= 59fps , gtx 1070 sli = 90 fps
Pillars of Eternity :The white march part 2 ... manual sli implementation, CPU bound game
Hitman: Episode 3
Shadow Warrior 2 SLI, great scaling

Selection of games from Metacritic Top PC games 2015*
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GTA V.... SLI .. 2560 x1440 ~ 65% increase, 4k 53% increase
The Witcher 3...... SLI 64%+ scaling (hairworks disabled)
Undertale
Metal Gear Solid V
Pillars of Eternity ... manual sli implementation, CPU bound game
Starcraft II .... SLI
Ori and the Blind Forest
Tales from Borderlands ... SLI
Final Fantasy VIV.. SLI
Homeworld Remastered.. SLI
Heroes of the storm
Dirt Rally.... SLI
Fallout 4.... SLI
Project Cars .... SLI
Guild Wars 2 : Hearth of Thorns ... SLI
FIFA 16 ... nvidia sli profile, SLI unconfirmed
Warhammer End Time Vermintide ... manual sli workaround
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin .... SLI
Evolve ... SLI

Top Grossing Steam Games 2016
----------------------------------

(Platinum sales numbers)
Dota 2
The Division
The Witcher 3
GTA V
Civilization VI
Fallout 4
No Man's Sky
Rocket League
Dark Souls III
CS:GO
XCOM2
Total War Warhammer

(Gold sales numbers)
Dead by Daylight
Stardew Valley
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Warframe
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Stellaris
Team Fortress 2
Arma III
Ark: Survival Evolved ...... SLI manual fix.. current UnrealEngine's HDR/SLI code could be implemented in future
H1Z1: King of the Kill
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
Doom

(Silver Sales)
Watch Dogs 2
Hearts of Iron IV
Cities Skylines
Europa Universalis IV
War and Thunder
Dying Light: The following enhanced ed
Subnautica
Smite
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Civilization V
Far Cry Primal
Payday 2
Rust
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Planet Coaster
Skyrim

Last edited:
Star Wars Battlefront seems to have microsuttering with 1080TI SLI

Renegade-X doesn't work at all with 1080TI SLI - that I could figure out - it was terribly laggy and surgest of good and bad frame rates until I disabled SLI.

Star Wars Battlefront seems to have microsuttering with 1080TI SLI

Renegade-X doesn't work at all with 1080TI SLI - that I could figure out - it was terribly laggy and surgest of good and bad frame rates until I disabled SLI.

I fooled around with BF just a few days ago on my 1080ti SLI system and didn't find any abnormal microstutter/frame latentency. What drivers are you running? Try a clean driver install maybe?

Ive never either.. i think alot pf people use afterburner data pooling (frame rate or whstever the H its called) open durring gaming or benching. That can csuse spikes in frame rate.

I fooled around with BF just a few days ago on my 1080ti SLI system and didn't find any abnormal microstutter/frame latentency. What drivers are you running? Try a clean driver install maybe?

I don't know - I suspect the newest via autoupdate functionality - I'll for sure get the newest and try again tonight - unless you suspect it's a specific older driver I need to try?.

Path of Exile also has nasty mouse lag in 1080TI SLI on my system. The mouse response feels like 200ms ping or something when SLI is enabled. When I turn off SLI, and play on a single 1080TI, Path of Exile feels completely normal again. During these tests my ping was 50ms, which is typical. It's definitely SLI that's introducing some weirdness.

The HB bridges with 1080ti eliminated microstutter in general for most people.

However, systems vary:
bandwidth and system bottlenecks, motherboard (model, specs, newest bios?), temps, power supply and power settings, high hz monitor? g-sync monitor? .. among other things (

User operations also vary:
clean drivers as was mentioned, newest drivers, pushing a cpu/ram overlclock? overclocking gpus? (if so using what app/settings, does it microstutter when not manually overclocking/pushing the cards?), game graphics settings used, frame rates, G-sync monitor available and enabled?, mouse poll rate. Setting power limit to max and power management mode to max performance per game profile from nv control panel can also work. Make sure v-sync is off. What version of windows are you using (windows 10?) , what version of direct x are you running the game in?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I mentioned mouse poll rate I'll leave this here: https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/mouse-guide/
As you increase your frame rate, the frequency of mouse updates per frame goes down and the delay between when you move your mouse and the effect of it on screen becomes more apparent. If you play at a higher frame rate than your mouse polling rate some frames will be updating with no new mouse input. At this point, you’re basically just viewing some frames instead of actively participating in them, and the mouse movement will be very choppy.

Some games actually update the game state at a rate faster than the video frame rate to reduce input lag. These games take advantage of higher polling rates even with a lower frame rate. For example, a game could update the physical interactions between objects based on player input at 500 Hz despite only running at a 60 Hz video frame rate. In games like these a faster polling rate reduces mouse input lag even more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are a lot of SLI system settings suggestions in the threads below
https://forums.evga.com/SLI-Gsync-Monitor-users-do-you-experience-micro-stutter-m2530708.aspx

The tweaks mention in each thread worked for a lot of people but the resolution of this thread below was that one of the guy's two gtx 1080's was bugged. When he replaced both cards he had no microstutter even without using all of the suggested tweaks:
https://forums.evga.com/My-1080-FE-SLI-clocks-not-always-in-sync-m2511862.aspx

The first thing I'd do if you haven't got one is get a HB bridge and install it. That eliminates microstutter for most people.
Clean drivers then reinstall. Power limit to max, power management to max performance per game profile.
Try running it without manual overclocking.
Run the game without v-sync.
Try running game at "very high+" custom settings and/or very high frame rates - turn off a few of the over the top bells and whistles in the process of elimination to see if it runs cleaner at higher frame rate graphs or without a particular graphic feature turned on. Higher frame rate ranges will also keep the frame rate from "bottoming out" which lower frame rates can do when you hit a frame rate "pothole".

Are you sure you are experiencing micro stutter and not frame rate dips/stops? Are you using a high hz monitor? A high hz g-sync monitor? Is the game an online game where their tick rate and server algorithms could be screwing up your latency somehow? If you are talking about this star wars battlefront, the techspot review reported to have had it running great:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1195-palit-geforce-gtx-1080-sli/page2.html

For the fast paced action first person shooter that is Star Wars Battlefront, an average of 55fps at 4K isn't quite good enough. Granted, the game is still very playable, but in my opinion the difference between say 60fps and 90fps in this game is huge. The mouse input in particular feels much more fluid. This makes the 93% scaling seen here very welcomed, as it took the Palit GTX 1080 GameRock PE SLI frame rate to 106fps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Savoy
like this
In all honesty my 1080TI SLI setup has been pretty freaking amazing gaming at 4k. I mean this is probably one of the best, if not the best, SLI setup's I've had yet. I've been running SLI for years since approx 2005/6. The input lag is almost non existant and the micro stutter is not there either. I tell ya for a "dying tech" SLI is running pretty awesome here and I am very happy with my 2 1080ti's. Most games I play have a profile and run dam good.

Reactions: elvn
like this
1080ti sli?

820.jpeg

Reactions: Savoy
like this
A few other tips that work for some people:

Nvidia Control Panel- <Game Name> profile- set Maximum pre-rendered frames to 1, apply.
(make sure you changed the setting "Maximum pre-rendered frames" instead of the "Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames")

Turn on Full Screen in the game options. There is "windowed without border" by default in some games. Also turn off windows aero.

Turn off HBAO.

Try turning off sharpening, try some other over the top options turned off.

It's critical to acquire and install a HB bridge.
Absolutely critical to turn V-SYNC OFF.
(If possible) Run on a G-sync monitor with G-sync enabled to eliminate any frame rate stops or judder which could be confused with (or exacerbate the effect of) microstutter.

Run frame rates high enough that any chance of a microstutter "shiver" during a frame rate pothole doesn't bottom out the graph.
Run frame rates high enough that regular frame rate graph "potholes" or dips don't go under 60fps or worse (usually around 100fps-hz average or better).

Adjust your mouse polling rate appropriately so that isn't adding to the problem. (Blurbuster's article: Mouse guide to poll rate on high hz monitor).

-------------------------------------------------------------
The sweet spot for blur reduction and motion definition increase is 100fps-hz up to maybe 165fps-hz, but shooting for 100fps-hz average or so has usually been a more reasonable goal. With 1080ti sli that can open things up with a lot of games though. :)

120 to 144 is 50% - 60% blur reduction and 2:1 to 2.4:1 motion def increase (path articulation, smoothness, unique frames shown per second, even animation cycle increase depending) . That takes 60hz smearing blur down to more of a "soften blur" inside of the shadow mask of everything on screen instead of smearing outside of the lines.

It also increases the motion articulation:
13 frames at 80fps-hz ..to every 10 at 60fps-hz
16 frames at 100fps-hz to every 10 at 60fps-hz (+ 40% blur reduction)
20 frames at 120fps-hz to every 10 at 60fps-hz (+50% blur reduction)
24 frames at 144fps-hz to every 10 at 60fps-hz (+60% blur reduction)

What people call their "Frame Rate" is really an average with the actual graph +/- all over the place. Putting as much of your variable frame rate graph's hills and valleys into the sweet spot will give the best motion (motion clarity and motion definition, which are very aesthetic qualities contrary to the "only need it for twitch gaming" sentiments). All of that motion definition and motion clarity (blur reduction) applies to the smooth movement and tighter (soften) blur of the ENTIRE VIEWPORT and all of it's objects, architectures, geography, sky, textures, etc in a 1st/3rd person game where you are rapidly moving your viewport around mouse-looking and movement-keying, not just single objects like the common cell shaded UFO example.

G-sync will allow the lower end of the graph to drop (sometimes abruptly by 30 to 50 fps or more in a game) without judder or stops, but imo you should still keep those dips high enough to not bottom out into complete potholes, especially if you are concerned about microstutter adding another layer of dips.

------------------------
Renegade X is an unreal engine 3 game from 2012. It apparently supported crossfire (the ares II in the bench is a dual gpu amd card) but not sli even on the nvidia series back then according to the benchmark review below. Notice that the 780 and 780ti sli numbers are lower than the single cards in that benchmark. A single 1080ti card should get pretty high frame rates on a an older title like that though.

http://www.gamegpu.com/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/Renegade_X_Black_Dawn/test/rxbd_2560.jpg

from gamegpu.com black dawn test

Just a reminder, UE4 added sli support
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/unreal-engine-4-15-released

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Nvidia/NVIDIAAlternateFrameRendering/

Last edited:
Back