My OC, 1 1/2 years later

cnick79

[H]ard|Gawd
I was able to OC my Q6600 to 3.6ghz at 400mhz x 9 using 1.44v. Here is the old thread that talked about it. Just recently (as of last night) as I play BC2 I received two BSOD while playing. I thought it was the game causing this but it's my OC. I fired up Intels Burn Test and about a minute in my PC BSOD. Look how my CPU temps now idle (on the right) compared to when it was first built (on the left). Under max load my CPU tempt blisters close to 100c/212F !!

I'm going to dust the inards of my PC and reapply some AS thermal compound in hopes of lowering my temps. For the time being I reduced my multiplier to 400x8 but I am still keeping the 1.44v for now. I'm going to fire up BC2 later tonight and see how high the temps go. I would hate to reduce my OC but if I must run at 3.2ghz with a lower vcore then I must.

Any suggestions or things I should check for?

(NOTE: the "after 2 1/2 hours of playing L4D" text refer to the MAX temps on the left)

Wow -- 100C is absolutely cooking! Make sure your hsf is still seated really tight on your cpu. What were your temps when running small fft prime95 originally?

Also out of curiosity -- what is your %cpu usage in BC2 multiplayer?

You're temps are going to be higher from the voltage not lowering the multiplier.. if you want to drop your temps until you find out why your case is so hot.. (lack of air flow.. inability to mount heatsink correctly) you should lower your vcore..

I don't remember exactly what my original temps were but I want to say they maxed out in the mid to high 80c's. I'm hoping remounting my HSF will do the trick. I wonder if the fins inside the HS have some dust that needs to be cleaned?

I find it odd that I went so long without any problems and now all of the sudden this. I wouldn't have expected my CPU to degrade so fast. In the end I will probably have to drop my vCore to get rid of the BSOD. There is still the concern of the increased CPU temps even at idle. The system temps are the same so it's not the case getting hotter.

By the way, here's a pic of my system at build time. Nothing has changed since.

I will post my CPU usage for BC2 MP later this evening.

Why would you ever think that even high 80s Celcius is acceptable for a Q6600? I'm kinda surprised that your CPU hasn't self destructed by now.

I stopped at 3.84Ghz on my Q6600 setup because I was hitting 62c with my modded Thermaltake Big Typhoon under Prime95 load.

Well the higher temps were definitely caused by the layer of dust covering my heat sink. I took the fan off and cleaned off the dust. Reapplied some AS5 and now my temps are back to were they were when I first built this system. I fired up Intel Burn Test and my max temps hit 80c.

I'm comfortable having my temps go to 80c on full load because for what I do with it, there is no way it maxes out. I use Intel's Burn Test over Prime95 because I find it does a better job stress testing and I get higher temps using Intel Burn Test.

Now it's time for the real test and see how BC2 holds up.

I don't remember exactly what my original temps were but I want to say they maxed out in the mid to high 80c's. I'm hoping remounting my HSF will do the trick. I wonder if the fins inside the HS have some dust that needs to be cleaned?

I find it odd that I went so long without any problems and now all of the sudden this. I wouldn't have expected my CPU to degrade so fast. In the end I will probably have to drop my vCore to get rid of the BSOD. There is still the concern of the increased CPU temps even at idle. The system temps are the same so it's not the case getting hotter.

By the way, here's a pic of my system at build time. Nothing has changed since.

I will post my CPU usage for BC2 MP later this evening.

Placing the proper things in priority I see. ;)

Placing the proper things in priority I see. ;)

That's the most important thing. If your computer doesn't work with the apps you want to run, it's useless. If all you need is a computer to surf the internet, a netbook will do.

I'm going to dust the inards of my PC and reapply some AS thermal compound in hopes of lowering my temps.

There's your problem. You're using Arctic Silver, which needs to be re-applied every 6 to 12 months in order to keep up optimal performance.

Might want to check out [H]'s thermal paste shootout, there are better options than AS5 now days (and many don't ever need to be re-applied).

There's your problem. You're using Arctic Silver, which needs to be re-applied every 6 to 12 months in order to keep up optimal performance.

Might want to check out [H]'s thermal paste shootout, there are better options than AS5 now days (and many don't ever need to be re-applied).

What ^ said. AS broke down and isn't doing it's job right anymore. Had to do do this with my x1800xt two months ago.

Interesting. I never knew AS needed to be reapplied that often. I should have snapped some pictures. When I took off my HSF the AS was very liquid like and no where near as thick when I first applied.

Innovation Cooling Diamond 7 is pretty good paste. It should never need to be reapplied, and there is only one paste that can beat it, but that paste wears out over time.

wow, i totally get the overheating from breakdown of the AS, but who knew it would there would be such a significant change, almost double the temp!

For a new thermal paste, I love Shin-Etsu X23-7762. I've been running the same application for 6 months with no performance degradation. The only downside is how thick it is, which makes application a little more difficult.

try increasing your memory voltage by .1 or .2, this actually allowed me to play bfbc2 without crashing at 3.6Ghz with my Q6600

It appears reapplying the AS5 and removing the massive amount of dust on my HSF brought my temps back to their original state and no more BSOD.

Lately, I've been crashing to desktop on BC2. Will need to restore stock settings to test if it's my PC or the game.

Back