OC'ed new Q6600 (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnick79

[H]ard|Gawd
I finally built the new rig in my sig and I thought I would share my results. I built it last week and started to OC yesterday. Right off the bat I set the CPU to 333mhz x9 @1.25v. I ran Prime for 5 minutes then decided to bump the FSB to 400 and the multi to 8. When I did this I forgot to set my RAM bus to DDR2-800. My motherboard automatically adjusted the RAM for me and set it to 966mhz or around there (~483mhz FSB). I didn't realize this until I booted into Windows and fired up CPU-Z. I'm surprised my RAM was able to handle the boot into Windows. I set it back down to DDR2-800 speeds and have left my PC at the current 400mhz x8 @1.25v. My goal before I started was to go for 400mhz x8. Now I'm wondering if I should/could go to 3.6ghz @ 400mhz x9 .

I'm very happy with how easy the Q6600 OC'ed and how cool it stays. My previous PC was a P4 Northy cooled on water. What a huge difference keeping that thing OC'ed and cooled compared to this Q6600.

Forgive the pictures, they were taken from my cell phone.

Nice pics, that a liquid cooling assembly you got going there or just a really fat CPU heatsink?

3.6 should be no sweat with a watercooling setup.

see sig :)

It's not a water cooled setup. I still don't think it'll be a problem.

What's that desktop bar you have at the top of your screen?

ObjectDock

Man your GPU is roasting at idle..............

I was playing Company of Heroes for a couple hours and my max CPU core temps were 44c/44c/40c/44c and my GPU maxed out at 84c. The 77c idle and 84c load are the norm for stock ATI 4870's. I set the 4870's fan to 30% instead of Automatic. Now it's running idle at 46-47c.

You have fared much better than me, I have the same CPU/HSF/MB/RAM/PSU/HDD as you(twin systems? lol) and my Q6600's voltage requirements start a massive vertical climb after 3.3ghz.

I say go for 3.6ghz, had my q6600 at 3ghz for weeks on stock volts of 1.2750, ramped it upto 3.4ghz with 1.3750v, then finally got it to 3.6ghz on 1.4125v, although i only ran p95 for 4 hours at that speed (without errors) load temps were 68-68-61-61, gonna lap my cpu and TRUE to lower and maybe even the temps a bit.

GPU maxed out at 84c
Woah! I knew the 4000 cards were warm but didn't know they were -that- warm. My 3870 rarely goes past 55c (granted it uses 2 slots to accomodate the fan.)

That's a Xigmatek 120mm w/ white leds. Same as the on the Xigmatek 1283 red scorpion.

Fanb0ys like low, young and zero are laughable. I do know what the fuck I'm talking about. Take your attitudes and shove 'em or prove me wrong ya dumbasses.

Actually Mister_E, the 48xx series are so well engineered that they can run stable at over 100c.

So no, you don't know that you're talking about :)

Fanb0ys like low, young and zero are laughable. I do know what the fuck I'm talking about. Take your attitudes and shove 'em or prove me wrong ya dumbasses.

I have a 4870 which runs at ~80C while idle using the stock fan settings. There, I proved you wrong. Now get a fucking clue.

The review here at [H] shows those cards idling in the 60°C range. For me to say that his card is roasting at 77°C is a legitimate point. To be told to 'move along' was unnecessary and childish. And I don't give a fuck what any of you tards think the normal temp of the 4800 series is.

Sorry to the OP for the derailment of your topic but I had plenty of help from the mentally handicapped around here.

Either way, the average consumer has their 48xx cards idling at 70+ easy with the fan set at Automatic. However, this leaves fan speeds fairly low (I suppose to minimize sound, but it's fairly quiet until +35% speeds which the fan doesn't get close to when set on Automatic). Then again, AMD/ATI has stated that their cards can easily handle temperatures as high as 100 without worries in decrease of longevity. So yes, it's hot. Does it matter? No, as long as you have decent case air flow, it should be fine.

The review here at [H] shows those cards idling in the 60°C range. For me to say that his card is roasting at 77°C is a legitimate point. To be told to 'move along' was unnecessary and childish. And I don't give a fuck what any of you tards think the normal temp of the 4800 series is.

Sorry to the OP for the derailment of your topic but I had plenty of help from the mentally handicapped around here.

Regardless of how rude the "move along" comment was, you responded like an asshole, plain and simple. There's no excuse for that. And when you were presented with facts to back up the claims presented to contradict your own, you ignored them. So please, don't insult other people for being right. You can have a problem with the way other people talk about you, but you don't have to be a dick about it.

And for the record, I find it very offensive to be called mentally handicapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back