OC causing a BSOD?

cnick79

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm trying to get my Q6600 to do 3.6ghz 400x9. I was playing Left 4 Dead when my game took a dump. I had the old BSOD. Stuff from memory was dumped to the hard drive and the computer restarted. I bumped the vcore to 1.37 and ran Intel's Burn Test Utility and received the same BSOD. Do you think it's my CPU causing this or my memory or something else?

Depends. What speed is your RAM rated at? Also, are you using enough memory voltage?

I'd be more inclined to believe it's the CPU though, considering 1.37V is quite low for a 3.6GHz overclock. I suggest you give it a shot with a higher voltage and see if you can make it more stable.

My ram is DDR2-800 with a voltage range of 1.8-1.9. I had the ram set to DDR2-800 speeds when I was at 400mhz fsb with a voltage of 1.8. I may try boosting the ram to 1.9 and boosting the vcore to 1.4 before giving up on 400x9.

Wouldn't the CPU most likely freeze if it couldn't handle 400x9 at 1.37v instead of BSOD?

Here's my plan of attack:
1) Double check RAM is running at DDR2-800.
2) Run MemTest
2a) If MemTest fails increase RAM voltage to 1.9 and run MemTest again.
2b) If 2a still fails then loosen timings and run MemTest
2c) Else cut back on the bus.
3) Increase vcore to 1.4 and keep increasing until 1.45 or until system is stable
4) If system is still not stable then repeat above steps at 450 FSB and a 8x multi with RAM divider
5) If step 4 fails then shoot for 3.4ghz

um if you have time with the bsod write down the code it gives you.. its a series of numbers eg. 0x000000 0x0000000 0x000000 something along those lines.. then either post them here or do a simple google search.. it will tell you whats failing.. if its the memory instability or cpu..

Depends. What speed is your RAM rated at? Also, are you using enough memory voltage?

I'd be more inclined to believe it's the CPU though, considering 1.37V is quite low for a 3.6GHz overclock. I suggest you give it a shot with a higher voltage and see if you can make it more stable.

my thoughts exactly.. start by trying 1.45 vcore and work from there (higher or lower) vcore to test for system stability.

Wouldn't the CPU most likely freeze if it couldn't handle 400x9 at 1.37v instead of BSOD?

The system would crash if the CPU is not stable at a certain setting. Exactly how it crashes will vary. I have seen many BSODs caused by unstable overclocks.

More than likely. Back the OC off, or just go back to stock, and I'll bet your problems go away. Burn Test loads nothing but the CPU, so the CPU is probably the source of the issue.

More than likely. Back the OC off, or just go back to stock, and I'll bet your problems go away. Burn Test loads nothing but the CPU, so the CPU is probably the source of the issue.

Doesn't it use memory too? There were options to use 1) Maximum 2) half memory 3)Quarter memory. I always chose #1.

HOWEVER!!!!! Last night I increased the vcore to 1.45v and the memory to 1.9v. I ran BurnTest 5 times and no problems. I fired up L4D (which was causing problems before) and was able to play for hours with no problems. I'm going to slowly decrease the vcore and see how low I can go before coming unstable.

The Max temps are after 2 1/2 hours of playing L4D.
e113d2e4.jpg

just FYI, there is supposedly a bug with left4dead and ATI cards. It might be your overclock, but you might want to look into that. I'm having similar issues on my modeslty OC'd c2duo with an ATI chip

just FYI, there is supposedly a bug with left4dead and ATI cards. It might be your overclock, but you might want to look into that. I'm having similar issues on my modeslty OC'd c2duo with an ATI chip

Before I started the 3.6ghz OC I was getting crashes to my desktop while playing L4D. I changed L4D to run in XP mode and it has worked fine since. It could have been the ATI/L4D bug you speak of. My L4D demo was updated last night before I started to play so hopefully this is a non-issue now.

Back