My Hideous Windows 7 Experience (So Far)

Sovereign

2[H]4U
Using Build 7048 x64 on Play [H]ard in my sig.

Anyone replying "it's a beta" will be smacked with a wet noodle.

I'm trying to see if anyone else has had these issues and thus, anyone has a workaround (note that I avoid the word "solution" since the OS is, indeed, a beta and nothing gets "solved" unless it comes out of Redmond, usually).

Laptop upgrade was fine (I'm using it to type this message). Desktop, on the other hand, was/is a nightmare. Issues so far:
- The system does not recognize that AVG is turned on, nor will it stop nagging me even if I tell it I do not want to hear about anti-virus issues anymore (feedback sent).
- The system magically resets my resolutions and monitor positions after being on for a few seconds; it loads up right but then drops one 22" back to 1280x1024 and positions everything wrong (feedback sent--could be a graphics issue though).
- Explorer.exe hangs are so frequent that the system is almost unusable (feedback NOT sent yet because this happened to me before and CHKDSK fixed it). Also read that VirtualCloneDrive can cause problems so after CHKDSK UltraISO is going away, or at least its virtual drive component is.
- Error reporting on Explorer hangs itself hangs and requires a hard reset (feedback sent).
- Search-as-you-type in the Start Menu is hit-and-miss; sometimes nothing will show up for ages (even though what I am searching for is clearly there, such as Send Feedback or Calculator). This happens on my laptop too, usually closing and reopening the start menu a few times fixes it (feedback sent, multiple times).
- Explorer responsiveness is iffy; sometimes it seems I can click on something (or right click on something) forever, Explorer hangs, system reset, try again. Other times everything works great (feedback sent).
- Awful desktop lag: can see the desktop but often get the spinning blue ring for a while before I can do anything (feedback sent).

its a beta.

I had to. I've had zero problems with Win7 so far.

*wet noodle smack*

I've had zero problems on my laptop (aside from the minor gripe with start menu searching)... Also, don't get me wrong; I'm not on an anti-W7 vendetta here. I want this OS to be good and I want it to work.

running like a champ for me... but every now and again my monitor would die and the video would restart I guess coming back saying the nvidia driver failed and was restarted. hasn't happened though since I upgraded to the latest nvidia driver for win 7 x64 from march 3rd

You had to run CHKDSK? That's a hardware failure right there. You probably need a new Hard drive, and a new drive would probably fix most to all of those problems.

I'm not having any of those problems. I have it installed on my laptop in sig (GMA X3100 video) and on a Q8200 system. I'm really happy that A2DP is working out of the box.

And it's a beta. :p But that's probably not the cause of the problems you're having.

Before blaming the HD try with another SATA cable. I had pretty much the same problems with Vista64 and window7 and the problem was the SATA cable.

You are also running a pretty hefty overclock... try running it stock and see how it goes.

My new 780g motherboard doesn't play well with my old 120GB IDE hard drive. As a result I was getting some nasty, frequent hangs after startup related to superfetch. The freeze up only seemed to occur after the drive began loading the cache. I've since turned off supfetch (mixed feelings about doing this) and the problem hasn't returned. This is on build 7000

I'm trying to see if anyone else has had these issues and thus, anyone has a workaround (note that I avoid the word "solution" since the OS is, indeed, a beta and nothing gets "solved" unless it comes out of Redmond, usually).

Laptop upgrade was fine (I'm using it to type this message). Desktop, on the other hand, was/is a nightmare. Issues so far:
- The system does not recognize that AVG is turned on, nor will it stop nagging me even if I tell it I do not want to hear about anti-virus issues anymore (feedback sent).
- The system magically resets my resolutions and monitor positions after being on for a few seconds; it loads up right but then drops one 22" back to 1280x1024 and positions everything wrong (feedback sent--could be a graphics issue though).
- Explorer.exe hangs are so frequent that the system is almost unusable (feedback NOT sent yet because this happened to me before and CHKDSK fixed it). Also read that VirtualCloneDrive can cause problems so after CHKDSK UltraISO is going away, or at least its virtual drive component is.
- Error reporting on Explorer hangs itself hangs and requires a hard reset (feedback sent).
- Search-as-you-type in the Start Menu is hit-and-miss; sometimes nothing will show up for ages (even though what I am searching for is clearly there, such as Send Feedback or Calculator). This happens on my laptop too, usually closing and reopening the start menu a few times fixes it (feedback sent, multiple times).
- Explorer responsiveness is iffy; sometimes it seems I can click on something (or right click on something) forever, Explorer hangs, system reset, try again. Other times everything works great (feedback sent).
- Awful desktop lag: can see the desktop but often get the spinning blue ring for a while before I can do anything (feedback sent).
I've experienced every one of those issues, minus the AVG one. It's simply not ready for mainstream use yet. I do believe there are a lot of people who have little issues with it but I also know there are a lot that are in denial. "Oh I click it and it didn't do nothing, I must of not actually clicked it" or whatever.

I haven't experienced any of 'em, on 7 different machines, go figure. From 7000, to 7022, to 7048 on all of 'em, not one big complaint or anything even worth creating a post about...

/me wonders what the hell you people are doing with your machines, or what hardware you've got going on that's freakin' Windows 7 out cold... :D

AVG is trash. If you must get a free antivirus solution, there are others out there that are decidedly better. Avira and AntiVir are two I hear about pretty often around here.

AVG is trash. If you must get a free antivirus solution, there are others out there that are decidedly better. Avira and AntiVir are two I hear about pretty often around here.

Avira and AntiVir are the same, yanno... :)

Avira is the company, AntiVir is the product. And yes, for the free version, nothing can touch it since NOD32 ain't free.

/me ducks...

installed it on a Vostro 1400 and have ZERO issues. Not much difference between it and Vista so I removed HDD it was installed on and put back in the 500GB hdd that vista is installed on.....

I've been testing build 7000 on an old dell 2400. So far I've had a few restarts due to driver errors, some issues with video playback. That said I like the overall performance, it seems to work fine with network shares. I hope it continues to improve stability.

The "bad" drive in question passes WD's extended test. Could be the cable... Don't have any spares on me now though.

Back