• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

My Far Cry 2 Quick Thoughts, AWESOME

thanks for the initial impressions aFive. unfortunately ^^^this part ensures your thread will degrade into a Crysis hate-fest.

now only if you edit my quote, I took that part out of original post.

Anyway, I am back. Will post some screenshots here soon. As far as FPS go, It's around 60-80 with dips into 40's. 40's do feel a tad choppy to me, I think it's equivalent to 30fps in Crysis.
 
Ok just got this game installed and everything and every time I go to run it, it goes full screen then goes to like a half screen where I can hear the music to the intro but I CANT SEE ANYTHING!!!! GRRRRrrrrrrr
 
NVM on screenshots, PRtScrn does not capture the screenshots. Everytime I minimize it goes to a windowed mode :(. Don't want to download fraps atm.
 
I would love to play this one too guys, but I cant bring myself to support activation limits..

No offence, i respect your decision but seriously you think you will make any difference?

The DRM was cracked this morning by Razor1911 :D

Anyway i got mine today, Its a fantastic game so far, i was impressed with the performance im running it all on very high with 2 gigs of ram, e7200 oc'd at 3ghz and a stock 8800 GT, like the guy said on the other page, it can be slightly annoying that the Enemies at the outposts respawn but you get used to it, the cars are not that much of a deal you can easily knock them out with a hand gun
 
No offence, i respect your decision but seriously you think you will make any difference?

The DRM was cracked this morning by Razor1911 :D

Anyway i got mine today, Its a fantastic game so far, i was impressed with the performance im running it all on very high with 2 gigs of ram, e7200 oc'd at 3ghz and a stock 8800 GT, like the guy said on the other page, it can be slightly annoying that the Enemies at the outposts respawn but you get used to it, the cars are not that much of a deal you can easily knock them out with a hand gun

Hey Pixel, I dont expect it make a difference. To tell you the truth, i feel a lot better about it now that it has been confirmed that you can revoke an activation via legit uninstall. I'm just wondering how well it works through steam at this point.
 
The only thing that is bugging me about the game so far is the FOV, now if I could find the friggin config I might be able to change it

The widescreen support so far reminds me of Bioshock...not good.

Otherwise the game is pretty good so far!
 
Oh man, it just crashed on save :(. But it's so much fun. I was in this lumber camp, it looked top notch with sun setting and sun rays shining through trees, big firefights with no ammo, had to knife few guys, it was too fun, OMG. I am giving this game 9.5/10 so far.
 
Ok just got this game installed and everything and every time I go to run it, it goes full screen then goes to like a half screen where I can hear the music to the intro but I CANT SEE ANYTHING!!!! GRRRRrrrrrrr

I had the same thing happening while running vista 64 on the Forceware 180.42 betas. I disabled Aero and was able to play the game.
 
My experience unfortunately isnt as positive. So far this is just a sandbox game like Mercenaries 2 with better gunplay. Not quite what i was looking for.
 
I'll drop some scrns and a few opinions in a couple of hours, if people are really waiting for more info and visuals before making a decision, or just curious.
 
Oh man, this game is hard, lol. Love it. I just got one shotted by some random africans. I was just trying to cross a village, I guess they aren't too friendly to white people driving in jeeps with mounted machine guns.
 
Oh man, this game is hard, lol. Love it. I just got one shotted by some random africans. I was just trying to cross a village, I guess they aren't too friendly to white people driving in jeeps with mounted machine guns.

Racist.
 

haha, i kid.

Anyway, installed new Nvidia's since they supposed to make this game run even better and noticed that my drivers would stop responding. It's running way too hot, I then saw that EVGA Precision does not work with these drivers :(.
 
All I know is I have over 40 games on Steam and I KNOW i have had to reinstall the service more than five times over my time with steam and I have never had a problem.

And that's because most games on Steam don't have activation limits. Try it with FC2 or Warhead or any other game that lists something like "3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™ 5 machine activation limit" on it's Steam info page and see what happens.
 
Runs quite well in all Ultra settings (maxed everything) in 2560x1600 and 16xAF 0xAA with rig in sig.

Game so far is brilliant in almost every respect, altough I have crashed twice already with looping sound.
 
now only if you edit my quote, I took that part out of original post.

Anyway, I am back. Will post some screenshots here soon. As far as FPS go, It's around 60-80 with dips into 40's. 40's do feel a tad choppy to me, I think it's equivalent to 30fps in Crysis.

What rez you running @ aFive?

Damn, I gotta wait till the 31st before the game is out over here.. Sucks to be me
 
And you're all complaining you have to wait until the end of the day... I'll have to wait until this month's pay day :mad::) Well, not really but I want to order it together with Fallout 3.
 
I have been getting about 50fps in the game with everything on maximum, 1920x1200, 4xAA
 
What rez you running @ aFive?

Damn, I gotta wait till the 31st before the game is out over here.. Sucks to be me

1680x1050. The new Nvidia's helped some. I had to get Rivatuner since neither Ntune nor EVGA precision allow me to change fan speeds with the new Nvidia Betas. My card begins artifacting and sometimes drivers stop responding when temps reach 75C. I like my overclock, have to keep the fan speed up in order to get 55C :).

But man, I LOVE THIS GAME!!! It's so much fun right now, it's hard too. 1 good shot by an enemy and you are dead on the hardest difficulty. Shit, I really do feel immersed in it, something that no game has been able to do in a long time. I hope it's lengthy.
 
Heres some high res screenshots all taken during the hour of gameplay, I opted for night and sneaking about to start with. Really well presented so far, other than the crashes which im sure will be fixed, my only real gripe is some of the t-shirt wearing enemies take a bit too much to kill, point blank shotgun blasts to the chest should kill tbh.

Game is in 2560x1600 in DX10 mode, with all settings max, 16xAF, specs in sig.

images taken with fraps full quality BMPs and compressed to jpg at 90% quality in paint.net

farcry22008102220351634ki6.jpg



farcry22008102220351830qc2.jpg



farcry22008102220372235ud2.jpg



farcry22008102220533582aa1.jpg
 
Nice screenies, I love how the game looks. I dunno, to me it looks as good as Crysis but plays alot better. Ofcourse, it's all subjective, but I am having too much fun :p. I didn't even try MP yet...
 
I know they're useful and all that, but is there a way to turn down the brightness of the console-tastic direction signs?
Nice smoke/dust though.
 
thanks for the screens Frostex. post some daytime screens if you get a chance.
 
I even downloaded fraps to record a movie, F10 apparently loads the game though, sigh
I will tr again I guess.
 
Everything maxed 1920x1200 4xAA. Looks great in parts, and kind of console-ish in others.

farcry22008102216381760ss3.jpg
 
More screenshots, in the daytime as asked for, I slept until 12 noon to get soem good daylight, unfortunately it was cloudy so it wasn't overly sunny, but still looks fantastic IMO.

So my little skirmishes so far :)

A little road rage first, if you piss off little checkpoints and leg it, they will give chase in jeeps, best to get out and explain calmly give them your insurance details, but they didn't seem interested so I had to shoot them.


farcry22008102221411777lx2.jpg



I got bored of my car, and spied a boat


farcry22008102221450732al6.jpg



I figured it'd be best to get rid of the car first, just for the cool effects


farcry22008102221451056qg1.jpg

farcry22008102221451172gh7.jpg



Slightly under estimated the explosive power and sunk mah boat :(


farcry22008102221453409xt8.jpg



But got a new one :D


farcry22008102221471004bg7.jpg



This is what happens when RPG's missfire, and plop onto the ground in front of you spinning in circles, I asked the natives politely if anyone had a fire extinguisher, they didn't seem impressed.


farcry22008102221545608oi5.jpg



So i thought a hand grenade would calm the sitation down a bit.


farcry22008102221525845jl7.jpg



A few more


farcry22008102221515540tt0.jpg

farcry22008102221513809ne4.jpg

farcry22008102221504085af7.jpg
 
Thank god for Remote Desktop. I forgot to pre-order this last night through steam, so I was sitting at work and wanted to have it ready when I got home. Looks really good. I am wondering with the map editor can you make new single player maps? or just multiplayer maps only?

I am hopping for 1440x900 in 1:1 mode maxed Direct X 10, 4AA, 16AF with the rig in my sig.
 
Don't want to mess around with fraps no mo. Anyway, game is too good. I just assaulted some village, was really cool. Explosions look great, game is hard and allows you to take any approach that you want.
 
Don't want to mess around with fraps no mo. Anyway, game is too good. I just assaulted some village, was really cool. Explosions look great, game is hard and allows you to take any approach that you want.
I must resist reading this thread. I really want to play! Need to give my new G5 mouse a nice workout. :p
 
Awesome screenies. It's making me more and more excited for it. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to run out and get it. :)
 
I must resist reading this thread. I really want to play! Need to give my new G5 mouse a nice workout. :p

Haha, oh man, trust me, it's worth it. I went in the morning just as the sun was getting up. Everything was foggy with sun rays shining just behind the main building. I had to run back to get some water in order to get my health up a bit, used all of my shots. It's cool on the hardest difficulty, you only get 3 health shots that you constantly use after getting hit. Man, I should go buy 5 more copies to support UBI :).

I am not exaggerating when I say: I was waiting for a game like this ever since Mafia/Max Payne.
 
Back
Top