MW2, No Dedicated Servers, PB, 9v9 limit, leaning, etc etc

I want to say that if I was a dev I sure the hell wouldn't give out tools to change the game just like moders and admins don't do with theirs.

out

I will host my own server on MW2. Unlike you, I won't have to pay a 3rd party to put a game on for me. I'll just click a button.

p.s. I know I can't decide what or who host but it's better than Joe Smacktard.

Most games in the past allowed you to run your own listen server if you wanted to. That's always been an option.

Taking out dedicated servers removes options. For many of us, options are precisely why PC gaming is even worth it in the first place.

Most games in the past allowed you to run your own listen server if you wanted to. That's always been an option.

Taking out dedicated servers removes options. For many of us, options are precisely why PC gaming is even worth it in the first place.

buddy, it's not me or you that is mad. It's the people that got hold of the tools and started to expect them. Expect them as if they were in the payroll of IW.

It's these people that are the push behind this. These people try to make CASH off of what IW put out. This right turn hurts them in their pocket and this is what you see on forums.

I'm just a player that knows business.

2e1sv8g.png

I will host my own server on MW2. Unlike you, I won't have to pay a 3rd party to put a game on for me. I'll just click a button.

p.s. I know I can't decide what or who host but it's better than Joe Smacktard.

Listen mate, you could do that on MW1. it had the ability to setup a p2p server if you chose to easily.

You talk as if MW1 and any other online fps game never had the ability to create a free p2p match.

Listen mate, you could do that on MW1. it had the ability to setup a p2p server if you chose to easily.

You talk as if MW1 and any other online fps game never had the ability to create a free p2p match.

how much skill did it take to do the task that you and your brethren shared?

how much skill did it take to do the task that you and your brethren shared?

it took:

Open multiplayer: (iw3mp.exe)
Start new server.
Start.

dunno what's do damn hard about that

edit: this is obvious proof JHefile does not actually own any COD series game....

it took:

Open multiplayer: (iw3mp.exe)
Start new server.
Start.

dunno what's do damn hard about that

edit: this is obvious proof JHefile does not actually own any COD series game....

Stats kept? Invite friends?

stats are local.

and if you want to play with your friends... join the same server.

Better yet, you can host it, too.

More proof you have never owned a CoD series game...

Local stats are shitty because you can copy and paste.

Pal, if I can even call you that lightly, have been here from the start.?

Pal, if I can even call you that litely, have been here from the start.

Local stats make more sense, rather then forced stat resets *OoOOooOHhhhhhh*

and your second phrase needs more clarification.

Im just going to quote this guy, because its feeding my laughter.

or not, im just going to post here, because he is making me laugh

Last edited:
Oh, like this is some kind of dedicated server?

I see what you are trying to do to me.

Well, Mr. you cant do this to me on MW2.

I am doing my hardest to wonder HOW you made that comparison.

Anyway, anyone else think someone is going to try and just mod COD4 to be similar to mw2?

It doesnt seem like it would be difficult at all, ive helped some modders in the past and it would be a fun project to take up.

Pal, if I can even call you that lightly, have been here from the start.?

You can't copy / paste stats.

The mpdata file gets tied to your cdkey when it's created.

New footage of online action in MWarfail2 PC :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLxSBz8_ZeE

Not sure if that IS really real, but if it is, that's lame that they don't even show you the real latency. I guess it's just another way they've consolized it...what, are we supposed to think everything's gravy because it shows us a green bar next to our name? What's that supposed to represent, 100 ms? 200?

Not sure if that IS really real, but if it is, that's lame that they don't even show you the real latency. I guess it's just another way they've consolized it...what, are we supposed to think everything's gravy because it shows us a green bar next to our name? What's that supposed to represent, 100 ms? 200?

Lame? the only real latency is you rpost. How can you apple a tomato?

Look like a joke vid to me. The guy's voice flowed through all the pauses.

Edit: You know, if the hitler at the end didn't give it away. :p

This is a very popular and controversial game, but if you can't behave yourself you should not be posting in this thread. You agree to conduct yourself in a civil manner as a condition of belonging to this forum. Keep it on-topic, and stop the personal attacks.

Don't buy the game on any platform. This is a test for future games to come. Its testing the waters for others to come in and get their feet wet. Don't cave in.

be194343.jpg

I just want to throw something out there that doesn't get buried in the flamewar that's hijacked this thread.

The development of MW2 was obviously done with a focus on re-using as much work as possible on all platforms. So much so that they felt it was more cost-effective (or simply more desirable for other reasons) to implement IW.net as a backend for the console multiplayer assets, rather than spending the work on bringing the existing PC multiplayer engine up to snuff.

So the long and short of their development work for the PC, as a platform, has been the creation of IW.net, the addition of mouse/keyboard support, exposing graphics options not available to console users, and text chat. Excluding the IW.net service, that's pretty much the bare minumum you need for a PC port to be usable, though I hear they actually didn't include mouse/keyboard support for one of the Resident Evil games.

Putting the minimum effort into the platform makes sense from a sales perspective. For whatever reason, PC sales of the game are behind 360 and PS3 sales*. Whether or not you can count a pirated copy as a lost sale is moot; for whatever reason, people aren't buying the game on this platform, so it makes little sense to bend over backwards to court this market.

So to respond to this lack of favor from IW, people are proposing a boycott? This doesn't make much sense to me. We're in this situation because the sales numbers didn't warrant the extra attention. If the sales numbers are low, it might lead to the conclusion that the PC market is too much effort to be worth it.

My ire is especially drawn to those who promise to pirate the game in response to IW's thickheadedness. I know [H] has strict rules against this, but elsewhere on the web I've seen people do just that. Whatever message you think you're sending, it's not the message they're going to receive. High piracy numbers and low sales numbers will *not* encourage them to make a better game. It *will* encourage them to move to a platform with higher sales numbers. It'd be like if you stole a loaf of moldy bread. When caught, you exclaim "It was moldy; I wouldn't have paid for it either way!" Then why the hell would you steal it? The same can be said for pirating MW2 - if it's that bad, don't buy it, and don't steal it either!

On the other hand, strong sales numbers on the PC could be interpreted as positive reinforcement to these abysmal changes IW has made. The last thing any of us want to do is send them the message that we're all a bunch of casual gamers that need IW to decide how to play the game for us. Still, I'd much rather that happen, then have them give up on the PC community entirely. Praise Dice and Valve all you want, but development houses like them are few and far between these days.

IW thinks that we are a loud minorty of PC gamers. Since PC gamers are a minority now, they think we're a minority of a minority. If we want them to give us what we want, we have to change that perspective.

First off, buy the game. Maybe not at $60 if you can't stomach that, but buy it soon. They're not going to spend the time to add dedicated servers if only two dozen people buy the game. They're not going to spend the time to add dedicated servers hoping that you'll forgive them and buy it. They'll just come to the conclusion that the PC market is dominated by a bunch of crybaby pirates.

Second, register your disapproval for their design decisions - outside the internet. Send them actual, physical, letters, use your real name, and include your proof of purchase. Let them know that you're a paying customer, and that you don't feel you've gotten your money's worth. Let them know - and this is the important part - that you, a paying customer, will not support them in the future if they keep this up. Normally, you'd do this before buying the game, but you did it in this order to both get your point across and show solidarity and support for the PC platform. Even if you can't bring yourself to buy the game, an actual letter from an actual person goes ten times as far as an anonymous statement on the internet.

Cliffs:
  • If the sales numbers are low, IW will just blame it on piracy and abandon the PC entirely.
  • Buying the game will prove that the PC is still a viable platform.
  • An avalanche of snail mail from paying customers will have tenfold more impact than a bunch of anonymous potential pirates whining on the internet.

I don't want to prove to IW that the PC is still a viable platform. We have plenty of developers who are doing more than churning out half-assed console ports. If IW can't produce a proper PC game with a proper multiplayer system, then I say they shouldn't let the door hit their ass on the way out.

They're not listening to us now, so why should we give them money that they'll probably just take as encouragement...and even worse, lead other developers to follow suit?

They're not listening to us now, so why should we give them money that they'll probably just take as encouragement...and even worse, lead other developers to follow suit?
Because if they get no money, they'll leave the PC platform.

If IW leaves the platform, everyone will look at IW's phenomenal console sales numbers (they will be phenomenal, despite what you, I, or anyone else will do about it) and want a piece of that. IW, ID, Bioware - all the good development houses used to be just as loyal as Valve or DICE. They followed the money. If they're going to come back, they're going to follow the money back.

This trend has been growing ever since the first game written simultaneously for consoles and PCs. Consoles have been stealing more and more market share, and developers are following the money. Eventually, the PC gaming market will have shrunk to the point that releasing a PC exclusive simply won't be a profitable proposition, or at the very least far behind a multi-platform release in profitability.

And believe me, if the PC sales numbers were high, and they got truckloads of mail at their development offices, they'd get the message. They'd do anything to keep us happy. The important part is following through with tangible feedback.

The only reason Bowling still has a chip on his shoulder is that he thinks we're nobody. We have to show him otherwise.

They lost sales due to laziness and greed LstOfTheBrunnenG. If they want our money then they have to listen to the customer. The customers are buying their stuff. They are trying to please themselves. They hired too many console fanboys also. Money is money. I rather wait for someone else to do a good job and support them. The customer is always right. Whatever happened to that in economics. Your probably one of them brunnen. Best way to vote if you like it or not is with your wallets. If you buy this game you'll get more of the same and others will jump in and join. Gotta put your foot down for once and stand up.

They lost sales due to laziness and greed LstOfTheBrunnenG. If they want our money then they have to listen to the customer. The customers are buying their stuff. They are trying to please themselves. They hired too many console fanboys also. Money is money. I rather wait for someone else to do a good job and support them. The customer is always right. Whatever happened to that in economics.
And if you don't buy their game, they'll look at PC sales numbers in one hand, and console sales numbers in the other, and decide that the PC isn't worth their time.

And then the industry is going to follow them. They like making money too.

As to the thing about the customer always being right - if you don't buy the game, you're not their customer. If you're not going to buy their game, they have no incentive to make you happy. They do, on the other hand, have an incentive to make the millions of console gamers who bought their game happy.

And if you don't buy their game, they'll look at PC sales numbers in one hand, and console sales numbers in the other, and decide that the PC isn't worth their time.

As to the thing about the customer always being right - if you don't buy the game, you're not their customer. If you're not going to buy their game, they have no incentive to make you happy.

They know we have battlefield 3 and bad company 2 coming. They will have dedicated servers. If everyone buys those games then it would be saying something to the other companies what we want.

They know we have battlefield 3 and bad company 2 coming. They will have dedicated servers. If everyone buys those games then it would be saying something to the other companies what we want.
I'll paypal you the cost of a beer if either Battlefield 3 or Bad Company 2 has higher PC sales numbers than MW2's 360 sales numbers.

Crysis just barely broke 1 million sales, right? CoD4 is at 13 million.

I'll paypal you the cost of a beer if either Battlefield 3 or Bad Company 2 has higher PC sales numbers than MW2's 360 sales numbers.

Its going to be better than mw2 thats for sure. Mw2 has been destroyed. Someone can literally just mod mw1 to be mw2 and thats that. It doesn't take much to realize we were screwed over to pay for download content.

As to the thing about the customer always being right - if you don't buy the game, you're not their customer. If you're not going to buy their game, they have no incentive to make you happy. They do, on the other hand, have an incentive to make the millions of console gamers who bought their game happy.

I see what you are saying but I would rather not pay them money, and let them leave the market, and hope a different company comes a long and picks up the slack and re-creates something new to fill the void. I wouldnt want to give IW, or any company for that matter, just enough money to keep them satisfied to make crap games. I would rather wait for them to stop making shit games, and leave the genre open for the next contender.

Its going to be better than mw2 thats for sure. Mw2 has been destroyed. Someone can literally just mod mw1 to be mw2 and thats that. It doesn't take much to realize we were screwed over to pay for download content.

thats not really fair, i in no way think mw2 is worth my money, but that is because i am a big competetive/multiplayer fps player.

a lot of people i know dont play it for the multiplayer, just the singleplayer. to them it is not DLC, it is a whole new great game.

You give IW far too much credit, especially when other game developers like DICE saw the controversy and quickly moved to take a stand against their decision for their own gain.

I'm a customer of IW's. I bought Modern Warfare. They aren't listening to me when I say that dedicated servers are a necessity for multiplayer PC gaming.

I'm not handing over $60 on good faith that they're going to listen to me once I buy their latest console port shovelware, when they have already proven that listening to me is the last thing they intend to do.

I see what you are saying but I would rather not pay them money, and let them leave the market, and hope a different company comes a long and picks up the slack and re-creates something new to fill the void. I wouldnt want to give IW, or any company for that matter, just enough money to keep them satisfied to make crap games. I would rather wait for them to stop making shit games, and leave the genre open for the next contender.
That's why I advocate buying the game and sending them snail mail. If everybody does that, they'd be fools not to make us happy.

As people who don't want to buy their game anyway, we have no bargaining power. As a platform with (relatively) dismal sales, we have no bargaining power.

Back