Mowing over high PPD folders from yesteryear

Back when the team started I had those systems all over the apartment.👍
1646493819452.png
1646493851416.png

ahh the old beige boxen. that brings back memories. look at them all and ..... alot of them have multiple optical drives - what's this? looks pretty suspicious to me. I think there was more than just folding going on ...
Must have been before DVD burners were cheap. One is a CD burner and the other a DVD drive....legit reasoning...haha. I once knew a guy that set up like 7 CD-Rom drives in a box and he left different disks in there as a network access to the disks instead of using ISO files. This was back in dial-up days. Crazy how some people did things...

Must have been before DVD burners were cheap. One is a CD burner and the other a DVD drive....legit reasoning...haha. I once knew a guy that set up like 7 CD-Rom drives in a box and he left different disks in there as a network access to the disks instead of using ISO files. This was back in dial-up days. Crazy how some people did things...
How about that 12" laserdisk player to the left of the ironing board. ;) (had some LD movies that needed to go to DVD)

I remember Marty. What a guy!

I bought two complete boxen from Marty ready to plug in and start folding. They had everything except for a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Both caught fire and let out the magic smoke within 10 minutes of folding at home.

Yikes! I feel like I owe you a refund a decade or so later ;)

I would like to remind you they were called ‘crappers’ for a reason! Back then I had a buddy who ran a recycling company and would drop off pallets of old computers which I’d hobble together one boxen and a time from all the parts. I forget the cost of a pallet but it was a loosing proposition all along. I’d have to shower twice after cleaning them all up and getting things working.

Fun thread, good memories.

In honor of memorial day and as a little F@H memorial of sorts I fired up the gaming rig to fold over the weekend. Rig is going away soon as I'm shipping out again in a couple weeks but a few days on the electric bill for old times sake won't hurt

Side note, after just like 12 hours I already made over 1 mil points.... man the old me would have killed for stuff like this, it took an 8 CPU stacked mobo and the unholy screech of 8 dyno fans to break 60k a day back then lol

Last edited:
In honor of memorial day and as a little F@H memorial of sorts I fired up the gaming rig to fold over the weekend. Rig is going away soon as I'm shipping out again in a couple weeks but a few days on the electric bill for old times sake won't hurt

Side note, after just like 12 hours I already made over 1 mil points.... man the old me would have killed for stuff like this, it took an 8 CPU stacked mobo and the unholy screech of 8 dyno fans to break 60k a day back then lol
Ya even CPU folding has changed alot. I inherited a R5-2600 a couple weeks ago from a buddy's upgrade and plopped it in the workbench mobo and threw 10 threads at it. Got over 100K ppd @ stock settings consistently for a week until I shut it off. I remember my old 1090T OC'd to 4 Ghz all core would only get 30K back in the day.

Yikes! I feel like I owe you a refund a decade or so later ;)

I would like to remind you they were called ‘crappers’ for a reason! Back then I had a buddy who ran a recycling company and would drop off pallets of old computers which I’d hobble together one boxen and a time from all the parts. I forget the cost of a pallet but it was a loosing proposition all along. I’d have to shower twice after cleaning them all up and getting things working.

Fun thread, good memories.
marty9876 nice to see you Marty!

marty9876 smells!

Man, I remember when I broke top 100. Wasn't even a year after that curecoin came out and everybody mowed me down. I've fallen a bit down the charts since that happened:

Rank 705 of 2,935,669
I have earned 3,023,470,169 points by contributing 63,021 work units. My work unit was last recorded 8 months ago

Man, I remember when I broke top 100. Wasn't even a year after that curecoin came out and everybody mowed me down. I've fallen a bit down the charts since that happened:

Rank 705 of 2,935,669
I have earned 3,023,470,169 points by contributing 63,021 work units. My work unit was last recorded 8 months ago
I'm still surprised that I even broke into the top 100! the RX 570 from 2017 wasn't going to get me there anytime soon either! Now I have a couple of former ETH mining cards that are Folding away.

I'm still surprised that I even broke into the top 100! the RX 570 from 2017 wasn't going to get me there anytime soon either! Now I have a couple of former ETH mining cards that are Folding away.
Being in the top 100 is a big achievement It takes time or a lot of hardware. I have spent many years folding on old hardware. Put in over 75k work units. Dedication to folding is what it's about big or small. Thank you for your work and dedication.

There is likely to be F@H bigadv EOL 4th anniversary challenge (tba) early next year against team TAAT. It's a one week event. This is the time when most folders increase their PPD substantially, waking up from winter hibernation or showing off their gpu power. I contributed most of my FAH points for the year during this time 😇

There is likely to be F@H bigadv EOL 4th anniversary challenge (tba) early next year against team TAAT. It's a one week event. This is the time when most folders increase their PPD substantially, waking up from winter hibernation or showing off their gpu power. I contributed most of my FAH points for the year during this time 😇
I'll participate with what I have since I sold off most of my mining cards! I was thrilled to be land in the #11 spot of that event! Thank you for putting that event together sir!

Last edited:
Being in the top 100 is a big achievement It takes time or a lot of hardware. I have spent many years folding on old hardware. Put in over 75k work units. Dedication to folding is what it's about big or small. Thank you for your work and dedication.
I have been folding since the mid/early 2000's, back when it was single core and the only multi core folding was on a PS3! You sir are going to zoom past me like a top fuel drag car! It is good to see some solid PPD numbers folding for the [H]ord again! I'm also soon to be in the top 5,000 Folders which is a significant achievement in itself!

I have been folding since the mid/early 2000's, back when it was single core and the only multi core folding was on a PS3! You sir are going to zoom past me like a top fuel drag car! It is good to see some solid PPD numbers folding for the [H]ord again! I'm also soon to be in the top 5,000 Folders which is a significant achievement in itself!

Yes in the top 5k in the world is a great achievement. It's def something to be proud of. Yes I will be flying past you in a week or so. We have a huge storm headed my way so I for see being down due to possible power issues and internet issues. It's all good. My folding rig will be down over the weekend either way. Not enough rad for the 4 2080ti's and a cpu. The cpu is overclocked and causing lockups when all 4 cards are running. I can not access the bios during boot and the bottom two cards are blocking the cmos reset jumper. So they will need removed to take the over clock out. Everything will be moved to a Corsair 7000d. side mount 480, top mount 420 front mount 360 (CPU only lop) and a back mounted 480. Once it's back going I should have the full amount of ppd out. My daughter is complaining of her cpu is bottle necking her 3070ti. Not likely the case but she will get a small upgrade to a 2080ti Kingpin and a I9-9900kf. The extra cores should help her with all the programs she has running along with her games. Her old stuff will go into the folding rig case and loaded up with cards to fold on.

I'm looking forward to the F@H bigadv EOL . I hope to add to my folding power before then.

Everything will be moved to a Corsair 7000d. side mount 480, top mount 420 front mount 360 (CPU only lop) and a back mounted 480.
If you get that 7000D populated w/all those rads I'd like to see it. I've been looking for my next case and I've got the 7000D on the short list, primarily for the # and size of rads it can hold. I was looking at 3, top, front and side.

If you have a spare power or reset switch it might be handy to plug it into the reset cmos jumper so you dont have to pull cards next time.

Looking forward to that one, i'll have some new toys by then

Here is a few . Some during the build and some as it's now running.

Attachments

• 20221001_164648.jpg
    20221001_164648.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221001_164651.jpg
    20221001_164651.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221001_164640.jpg
    20221001_164640.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221001_164635.jpg
    20221001_164635.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221001_164624.jpg
    20221001_164624.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220930_193405.jpg
    20220930_193405.jpg
    545.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220930_193351.jpg
    20220930_193351.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 0
You know, it might be easier to mount a small aluminum car radiator on the side with an electric fan! More fluid volume, greater cooling capacity with less tubing and fewer noisy fans! Looks good for all the work that you put into it!

You know, it might be easier to mount a small aluminum car radiator on the side with an electric fan! More fluid volume, greater cooling capacity with less tubing and fewer noisy fans! Looks good for all the work that you put into it!
We talked about it at work. It's going into the breakroom at work and screen keyboard and mouse will be outside. Doing the hookups to a car radiator or even a AC condenser sounds like a big project. As of right now cpu temp is staying below 48C and hottest gpu is 45C. Before cpu was at 73C and gpu's were at 65C.

The car radiator will be a project for another build. Come summer when temps get hot out. Would be the perfect time for that. Maybe by then with gpu prices starting to come down I can pick up some 3080ti's for another quad gpu folding rig.

and a case fan above the front rad just for good measure. The brackets out back - unreal. Awesome stuff and you're #1 on my threat list now. Actually there's 5 threats now which hasn't happened for awhile so looks like the [H]orde is picking up the pace overall. All good

Now that I think about it, While folding, just set the power limit to 50 watts less than what you’re running now. You’ll save power (and money!) and still get more ppd. Truely win, win, win best all of worlds.

I know points aren't what they once were but it felt weird/wrong to pass FLECOM...
I know, right - just passed FLECOM and I definitely haven't put in the time, energy, or hardware that they have.
Mad props to FLECOM and 373,836 work units! :cool:

Back