Mowing over high PPD folders from yesteryear

Agent_N

Gawd
I remember Doozer and capreppy from awhile back with their huge PPD numbers and thinking that I will never catch up let alone surpass them. Now ol' slow and steady has passed you! ::gives RX570 a pat on the backplate:: Come on boys, saddle up them PPD monsters that you have and lets ride [H]ard!

Mowing [H]ard folders of yesteryear 2020-11-07 104124.png

Yeah between adding support for GPUs and the steady march of time, the numbers can get real high. I know I used to run 10 to 20 computers for a few years, and I produced the same number of points with a GPU in a blink of time. Edit: I keep looking forward to more progress.

Last edited:
I remember when I managed to crack the top 20 in daily points production on the team with four overclocked Q6600s back in the day plus a few other random, slower machines. I ran my RX570 for a competition or something earlier in the year and during that short time increased my total points by 50%+ which had previously taken me years to accrue.

I remember when I managed to crack the top 20 in daily points production on the team with four overclocked Q6600s back in the day plus a few other random, slower machines. I ran my RX570 for a competition or something earlier in the year and during that short time increased my total points by 50%+ which had previously taken me years to accrue.
Yo Smoke, hope the world has been treating you well. Just thought Id say Hi! Beers and Tamales dude, take care.

Yo Smoke, hope the world has been treating you well. Just thought Id say Hi! Beers and Tamales dude, take care.
Long time no see. As for how life is treating me, I'm still above ground which is usually a good thing. :D And yes, I could use some tamales as I haven't had any in a while. I think I'll need to hit up the grocery store soon.

you know what a pain in the ass it was to maintain 1000+ installs of F@H?
F@H has been annoying to manage with 3 instances - i can’t imagine 1000. Boinc so much easier to deal with, I don’t think I’ll ever go above 3 in F@H

pushed it out via group policy and had them send their log files to a share on a file server, if a client didn't update the log in a while I would investigate... this was way before all the fancy tools to manage things, it was fun for a while...

Was going to comment about how much it took to hit 20k ppd and break into the top 10 daily but then FLECOM posted on the thread so I am forced to still bow my head and press F for respect lol

pushed it out via group policy and had them send their log files to a share on a file server, if a client didn't update the log in a while I would investigate... this was way before all the fancy tools to manage things, it was fun for a while...
Thank you for your significant contributions sir!

Doozer, welcome back to folding! I see that threat, and as soon as I can upgrade to a more powerful video card when supply catches up I'll see that threat of overtake!

well, I would be back but my computer is tripping a breaker when running f@h. I guess I need a 'stronger' breaker or something. I'm no electrician.

well, I would be back but my computer is tripping a breaker when running f@h. I guess I need a 'stronger' breaker or something. I'm no electrician.
you are tripping a load center breaker in the electrical panel? How much stuff do you have running off of that circuit? Computers don't pull that much electric current...there are exceptions but that entails expensive gear.

you are tripping a load center breaker in the electrical panel? How much stuff do you have running off of that circuit? Computers don't pull that much electric current...there are exceptions but that entails expensive gear.

I put in two 20 amp circuits back in the day in the basement to handle the loads of running multiple boxen, some of us had enterprise gear heating the entire house to crank out 1000 ppd.

Wow, I am still #40 and am sure I've not done any f@h for 5+ years.
Really should get a DC box going again but CPU is done and I don't have a spare GPU worth the effort.

Heh, I had a Q6600, AMD X4-965 & 1090T (4 GHz all 6 cores) all OC'd and had to endure getting a buzz-cut from some of our heavy mowers back in the day. I miss the old days with the tall talk and beer, tamales and popcorn. As for F@H now, I still crank on a GPU once in awhile for a few days a month. The CUDA support gives my GTX1060 800-900K ppd and well over1M ppd for my 1070Ti but it is in heavy use and only 'helps' at nite once in a blue moon.

it was fun, I remember when the GPU thing was starting to really take off... the fermi cards had just come out and I bought like 12x GTS 450 cards all running in core2 boards... good times man, good times

I 'member the Q6600. I think I had some of those.

I bought some Intel boards way back in the day that could hold 2 chips on the motherboard; this was before there was any multi-core chips. Before I could get my Intel server boards up and running someone came out with multi-core chips. Probably dual core. Hot shit dual core. I still have a shirt and a sticker and a magnet that says Intel Dual Core. Hottest shit ever since no one had anything with more than one core.

I think I had 11 different dual-socket server motherboards. I am not sure how many chips I purchased. Hopefully I threw them away. But they might be clogging up my garage. I need to clean my garage.

Back In college, i ran a b100(?) chipset Tyan Tiger dual socket motherboard first with dual p2 400s and sli voodoo2s, then upgraded to dual p3 750 overclocked to just around 1ghz with a GeForce 2 ultra. Had a whole 768mb of ram too! Only ever crunched seti@home on it though.

Way back I had a dual Pentium rig. It was an ASUS mobo but I don't remember the model number. The CPU's went on a daughterboard which plugged into a large slot on the mobo. I managed to get 2 P-233MMX's on it. I also managed to find some high capacity SIMMs so it had 320MB of EDO! Mind blowing back then. I had taken the first couple MCSE courses so it was a Primary Domain Controller (NT4 Server) for awhile but it's main function ended up being a Quake2 server which saw a fair bit of use. I also had a dual S370 board from MSI with 2 P3-933's installed. Ran Windows 2000 on it but there wasn't any multi-threaded apps in those days. Doing a couple tasks simultaneously was better but game support on Win2000 was flaky so I ended up dual booting back to Win98SE most of the time. Ended up junking that when the Pentium4 3.06 GHz came out as the first Hyperthreading CPU. I was trying to keep pace with Kyle, at least for CPU's anyways.

oh ya in the beginning I was folding on a dell poweredge 2200 with dual PII 333mhz cpu's... think each one was getting like 12ppd? not 12k... 12... switched from SETI@Home

Choder, It looks like I have 1.4 months to add more GPUs :p
My inheritance money should come before then. lol

folding.png

Last edited:
Can I join the old timer talk? Always good to see the old names in here.

I started folding on my hyperthreaded Pentium 4 3.0C. Two clients to take advantage of hyperthreading. I think I got around 300 PPD with that bad boy. Yes that's 300. Not 300k or 300 million. Hah.

Lots of iterations since then. Probably the most fun I had was when the SR2 came out and we were putting ES Xeons in there. 12 cores/24 threads, wtf! Then what was the name of the guy that worked for HP and had the hook up on the Opterons? I ran 4x6172s for a while - 48 cores. On Linux, which I still know nothing about. I poured one out when I passed Tear last month. Something doesn't feel right about passing the titans of yesterday.

Now, I just stuck a RTX 3080 in my basement and immediately started cranking out 5 million PPD. Insane. I fired my boxen back up knocking on the door of 1 billion points and I'll likely end this winter at 2 billion.

Can I join the old timer talk? Always good to see the old names in here.

I started folding on my hyperthreaded Pentium 4 3.0C. Two clients to take advantage of hyperthreading. I think I got around 300 PPD with that bad boy. Yes that's 300. Not 300k or 300 million. Hah.

Lots of iterations since then. Probably the most fun I had was when the SR2 came out and we were putting ES Xeons in there. 12 cores/24 threads, wtf! Then what was the name of the guy that worked for HP and had the hook up on the Opterons? I ran 4x6172s for a while - 48 cores. On Linux, which I still know nothing about. I poured one out when I passed Tear last month. Something doesn't feel right about passing the titans of yesterday.

Now, I just stuck a RTX 3080 in my basement and immediately started cranking out 5 million PPD. Insane. I fired my boxen back up knocking on the door of 1 billion points and I'll likely end this winter at 2 billion.
You sure can jebo_4jc!
Sigh, I remember when the SR2 boards were released... I wanted to get one but that kind of hardware was way out of my price range! Back then the points had more meaning, but now they seem like a meaningless metric that just gets higher and higher. I have 5 kids now so I have little to nothing for cash to spend on computer hobby!

I have an EVGA SR-2 in my family room collecting dust. I think I have six-core chips for a total of 12 cores. No hyper-threading if I recall.

If you want to talk about some older folders who were at least somewhat more whacko than is the norm for us, that was marty. He was literally installing a client and running folding on practically everything he could get his hands on. This included some quite old hardware for the time. He had access to "free" power and space where he worked so he kept loading up boxen there. He had tons of slow machines running but there were enough of them that he could put out some serious PPD.

oh ya in the beginning I was folding on a dell poweredge 2200 with dual PII 333mhz cpu's... think each one was getting like 12ppd? not 12k... 12... switched from SETI@Home
I came from SETI@home as well. Ran it anonymously in screensaver for awhile before becoming 'official' with a username. Then I changed to the Horde. Decided it was more worthwhile to improve health than look for E.T. (a buddy had muscular dystrophy). Once it went BOINC and I had more resources I added SETI back in.

If you want to talk about some older folders who were at least somewhat more whacko than is the norm for us, that was marty.

I remember Marty. What a guy!

I bought two complete boxen from Marty ready to plug in and start folding. They had everything except for a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Both caught fire and let out the magic smoke within 10 minutes of folding at home.

I remember Marty. What a guy!

I bought two complete boxen from Marty ready to plug in and start folding. They had everything except for a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Both caught fire and let out the magic smoke within 10 minutes of folding at home.
You're kidding?

Haha!!

Nice to see old faces here! I do remember I reached the top 10 (or it was the first position, been a while) with a stack of 20 work laptops waiting to be assigned and all folding with some computers at home. I remember breaking 20k ppd and it's so high. Today, A single 3090 can rack millions of ppd

Back