Mowing over high PPD folders from yesteryear

Just broke 1.5 billion points!

FoldingAtHome-points-certificate-17658 1-5 billion.jpg

Earlier today I hit 750,000,000 points. Just a quarter of a billion points away from 1 billion.

And it only took me about 20 years to do it.
I know it has taken me about the same amount of time to hit 1.5 billion! I was tempted to buy a PS3 back in the day for the PPD, but GPUs far eclipsed what CPUs could ever hope to do. 64 core Threadrippers might put in a good showing but use a lot more power.

I hit 5 billion points a little while ago. I've only been really contributing since 2020 - shows how much the 1080ti and 3080ti can really spin up.

I know it has taken me about the same amount of time to hit 1.5 billion! I was tempted to buy a PS3 back in the day for the PPD, but GPUs far eclipsed what CPUs could ever hope to do. 64 core Threadrippers might put in a good showing but use a lot more power.
I did a quick calculation last night for the hell of it and in the past year I've pushed out a bit over 500 million points. Since the start of this year most of that was done by a 6750xt.

That said, I went quite a few years without putting out any points to F@H. Part of it was concentrating on WCG when I did have some decent hardware again but a lot of it was simply not having any decent hardware at all and it wasn't worth the heat or the electricity usage.

I did a quick calculation last night for the hell of it and in the past year I've pushed out a bit over 500 million points. Since the start of this year most of that was done by a 6750xt.

That said, I went quite a few years without putting out any points to F@H. Part of it was concentrating on WCG when I did have some decent hardware again but a lot of it was simply not having any decent hardware at all and it wasn't worth the heat or the electricity usage.
I quit folding for awhile because it was expensive to keep CPU running 24/7 along with a GPU. My current GPU, a 3060 Ti, is undervolted to keep power consumption down and it still nets roughly 85+ percent of PPD running at full power.

Grandma dodged the Reindeer, but she is gonna get run over by Nate_W! But first, musky and motgalden are going to get ran over!

Make sure you can ramp up your output during the BigAdv EOL race challenge from Jan 24 to 31 ;)

There are currently four teams participating: EVGA, TAAT, ExtremeHW (don't underestimate this team) and us.

I'm staring at the Titans, wondering if they need an install. Not using any pascal stuff much other than basic video. Not sure the P100 would be worth the effort.

I had to order another air cooler today for a xeon that's about to kill it's Corsair AIO.

And I did get a couple more wifi adapters to help spread the load.

So, end of the month may be interesting.

Looking at folding lar website, we are currently at 12th position (excluding the default team, primarily crypto teams like curecoin, banano) based on rolling 24 hours output as defined below by folding lar. I expect us to dramatically increase our daily output for a week during the race. Our best monthly output was close to 10B back in Jan 2022.

"This data will update every hour or two approximately (or as F@H updates after delays), auto reading and calculating off of F@H data files.
Data points showing increases and decreases are comparing the past 24 hours to the previous 24 hour period
."

1704567075195.png

Make sure you can ramp up your output during the BigAdv EOL race challenge from Jan 24 to 31 ;)

There are currently four teams participating: EVGA, TAAT, ExtremeHW (don't underestimate this team) and us.
I cannot ramp up output much more. I am currently running a laptop with a mobile 1050, a 3060 Ti that I mined ETH on, and my 3800X. I could add another 200,000 plus with 3800X, but that is all I can throw at it. I need a 4000 series nvidia card to put out more points! Then I could put the 3060 Ti on the dinosaur Athlon II 435 triple core!

Looking at folding lar website, we are currently at 12th position (excluding the default team, primarily crypto teams like curecoin, banano) based on rolling 24 hours output as defined below by folding lar. I expect us to dramatically increase our daily output for a week during the race. Our best monthly output was close to 10B back in Jan 2022.

"This data will update every hour or two approximately (or as F@H updates after delays), auto reading and calculating off of F@H data files.
Data points showing increases and decreases are comparing the past 24 hours to the previous 24 hour period
."

View attachment 625180
So many of our big output individual folders are not folding at the moment. Don’t have money for new PC hardware at the moment, got some debts and bills to pay 🙁

So many of our big output individual folders are not folding at the moment. Don’t have money for new PC hardware at the moment, got some debts and bills to pay 🙁
No worries. Hope everything will be better soon.

No worries. Hope everything will be better soon.
I think my wife and I will get to a better spot this year. Had a tax oops where we didn't send enough money in so we got nailed with a sizable tax liability. Finally got most of that paid off. Now I need to work on some other debts this year...

Yeah the pace of that mower is about right. It'll take you awhile ;) . Grandma was a group of [H]orde members folding in a tribute to Grandpa further up the list and they stopped at their goal of 2B.
Slow and steady is how I keep mowing over you guys! FLECOM just falls further and further behind. Back in the day I thought I would never surpass him!

Trying to get my second rig back together, its in a world of hurt. The 1070 is definately dead, and folding with either the 1080 or 2060 only lasts for about 15 minutes before the rig shuts off.

Trying to get my second rig back together, its in a world of hurt. The 1070 is definately dead, and folding with either the 1080 or 2060 only lasts for about 15 minutes before the rig shuts off.
Have you narrowed down what the problem is such as a dying power supply?

Have you narrowed down what the problem is such as a dying power supply?
Not yet, its been on blink since the beginning of December but as i work in retail the last thing i was wanting to do in December was fight a stubborn machine. I've just booted it back up and the 1080 is currently running a unit. I'll test it over the next 12-18 hours and see how it goes.

And foget what i just typed, the rig has just shut down on me again. The check PSU light is on which is be annoying as its a not inexpensive but out of warranty AX 860i

I'd say power supply also. Fixed my recent issues with random shutdown during folding.

Looks like we will be mowed over by TAAT in about 4 days.😞

Their daily average PPD is 820M vs 261M for us. They are folding for the whole month, so that helps a lot in catching up with us.

1705770212627.png

This year is a completely different event. Not even a competition given TAAT has a handful of individual GPU users who can outperform most of our entire team. I see it all the time at the other events.

Just enjoy the ride. For science or personal satisfaction. Whatever.

We can go pick on them in BOINC Games. Plenty of CPU projects listed.

I should have 3 full time GPUs going during that week, going to see if I can get the 4th to be on fulltime.
I just added a RTX 4090 and am second only behind you in daily output.
After you get those added it is going to be a distant second though, wow!

I just added a RTX 4090 and am second only behind you in daily output.
After you get those added it is going to be a distant second though, wow!

I have two GPUs that I would consider full time (4090+4070). My dad nd sister don't leave their systems (which I maintain and upgrade) up 24x7. If I get all right WUs, I might just hit 50mppd output during that week.

Electricity is just too expensive to add any more at the moment.

Last edited:
We should have whatever we are going to use running if at all possible several hours prior to the actual start of the event , correct? That way we'll have equipment reporting at full production rates on the first update. Right?

We should have whatever we are going to use running if at all possible several hours prior to the actual start of the event , correct? That way we'll have equipment reporting at full production rates on the first update. Right?

Yeah, asked that everything be up and running before bedtime on the 23rd. :D

Back