Mortal Shell

Mortal Shell   7_16_2020 5_31_20 AM copy.png

Mortal Shell gets a release date and a new trailer

release date: August 18th

Mortal Shell is a timed exclusive on the Epic Games Store, with a Steam version coming in 2021...

The only game I care about because Baldurs Gate 3 isn't coming out this month :p

Last edited:
there's been a lot of Souls clones that have piqued my interest but ended up being disappointing so I never bothered (Code Vein, Hellpoint etc)...I've only played 1 Souls copycat (Lords of the Fallen) which was pretty good...Surge and Nioh still interest me but it needs to drop in price

Mortal Shell looks really impressive and I'm leaning towards buying it unless it gets terrible reviews at launch...the $30 price is also very nice and the release date of August 18th is also earlier then most people were expecting

there's been a lot of Souls clones that have piqued my interest but ended up being disappointing so I never bothered (Code Vein, Hellpoint etc)...I've only played 1 Souls copycat (Lords of the Fallen) which was pretty good...Surge and Nioh still interest me but it needs to drop in price

Mortal Shell looks really impressive and I'm leaning towards buying it unless it gets terrible reviews at launch...the $30 price is also very nice and the release date of August 18th is also earlier then most people were expecting

Code Vein was good, Surge 2 (never played Surge) was REALLY REALLY good imo. Same for Nioh 1 and Nioh 2. Hellpoint looks like a significant step below those Souls likes.I hope Mortal Shell is also a really good addition to the genre.

Mortal Shell seemed pretty good to me when I played the open beta a while back. I'll probably grab it once it is on GoG.

I forgot I had one of those $10 coupons still valid on my Epic account from a recent sale or promotion...expires on October 31st 2020...so I can get Mortal Shell for $19.99...I remember I was going to use the coupon to get the Metro Exodus DLC but I'm going to use it on Mortal Shell instead

* not valid on pre-orders so I have to wait until the game unlocks on August 18th

Last edited:
Mortal Shell Receiving Physical Edition For PC And Console This October

Due to the demand of players flocking to download the beta that was available last month, developer Cold Symmetry and publisher Playstack have announced that their Souls-like action RPG Mortal Shell will be receiving a physical release across consoles and PC on October 2nd...as a bonus, the physical edition will include an exclusive fold-out poster and softback art book

the physical edition will be available in North America and Europe for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, and set you back $29.99

note: there is no disc in the PC physical edition...instead, there’s a key which you can redeem on the Epic Games Store...

https://twitter.com/MortalShellGame/status/1293925374099886080

I hope I see this in Walmart that is a good way to get your game out. Worked for DAOC, UO, and WOW.

Last edited:
Damn afraid to watch anything some games I don't mind games that blend together like Borderlands 3.

after reading the reviews it sounds like a good Souls copycat...reviews seem to be in the 8 range...I'm definitely going to get it...the $19.99 price seems like a great value (I have a $10 Epic Store coupon which is why it's $19.99)

Again with this EGS exclusive bullshit...No one should support exclusives.

it's a timed exclusive...if you want to play on Steam then just wait 6 months or a year...I support good games...the developers already explained why they chose to do an EGS exclusive...for a studio of 15 people the financial support from Epic helped them make a game like this...

it's a timed exclusive...if you want to play on Steam then just wait 6 months or a year...I support good games...the developers already explained why they chose to do an EGS exclusive...for a studio of 15 people the financial support from Epic helped them make a game like this...
Nah, fuck that. I understand their decision but I disagree.

Again with this EGS exclusive bullshit...No one should support exclusives.

It's better to buy games later anyways, most bugs are usually fixed and historically the game always came cheaper to Steam. If the games good just wait it out.

here is developer Cold Symmetry's official statement on why they went with the Epic Store timed exclusive...in short, Epic Games provided Cold Symmetry with additional financial support, something that was crucial for the game’s development...to put it simply, without these funds, the game may never have existed in its current state...

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/mortal-shell-time-exclusive-epic-games-store/

I was wondering why the download Install button was missing so I restarted Epic.
File size is just over 6.82 gigs.

Last edited:
Somehow I totally overlooked this thread/game. I'm definitely grabbing this today.

EDIT: I had a credit or a discount or something. It was only $20.

Last edited:
I started this up earlier tonight...I like it...it's Dark Souls lite...what makes it good is the ways it tries to be different- the shells, resolve mechanic, Hardening, you have to use items multiple times to gain familiarity...there is no Estus flask and no shield...I'm still getting used to the combat and using the hardening mechanic in place of a shield...the tricky part is that enemies don't seem to stagger...it's a bit like Bloodborne where you constantly need to stay on the attack

I'm getting the hang of combat now...the game could use more color...everything is a bit too gray and dark...I also have no idea where I'm going or what I'm supposed to be doing...

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I'm getting the hang of combat now...the game could use more color...everything is a bit too gray and dark...I also have no idea where I'm going or what I'm supposed to be doing...

I'm guessing you've never played DarkSolus then...

I'm guessing you've never played DarkSolus then...

Dark Souls is my favorite gaming series of all time...over 1000 hours in each Souls game...Souls gave you some clues or markers on where to go...Mortal Shell is very obtuse

Dark Souls is my favorite gaming series of all time...over 1000 hours in each Souls game...Souls gave you some clues or markers on where to go...Mortal Shell is very obtuse
yeah, especially the first zone, no idea where to head and, if i die, how i get back to where i died.

Is the game pretty polished (performance/stability/etc.) thus far?

This game is more polished than Dark Souls nothing like Hellpoint. I still haven't played the actual release.

This game is more polished than Dark Souls nothing like Hellpoint. I still haven't played the actual release.

Dark Souls 1, 2, or 3? The first one was a pretty barebones port, but 2 and 3 looked/ran wonderfully and were bulletproof apps.

Unreal 4 makes this game shine I suppose they couldn't upgrade to unreal 5. Boss battles might not be as good as Dark Souls those were pretty epic.

this is a really solid game...I've been hanging around the beginning area practicing Hardening, parrying etc against the lower level enemies...once I feel comfortable with all the new mechanics, combat etc I'll start a new game...I always hated parrying in the Souls games and the same applies with Mortal Shell...the reward is great but the risk is also high if you miss...

yeah, especially the first zone, no idea where to head and, if i die, how i get back to where i died.

Mortal Shell is not linear so you can choose where you want to go which is a nice touch...in the beginning area all those tunnels which you have to crawl into made navigating a bit tricky...

Back