Mortal Shell

Looks like an interesting Dark Souls clone.

I suspect this trailer will get polonyc2 all hot and bothered.

an actual From Software game gets me hot and bothered...most of these rip-offs are just poor imitations which don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Sekiro...no one can touch From Soft when it comes to level design, world building, enemy design, combat etc

that being said the trailer for this Mortal Shell actually looks pretty good...

an actual From Software game gets me hot and bothered...most of these rip-offs are just poor imitations which don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Sekiro...no one can touch From Soft when it comes to level design, world building, enemy design, combat etc

that being said the trailer for this Mortal Shell actually looks pretty good...

Agreed...I would add Nioh 1/2 and Surge 1/2 in that list...well ok I even really liked Code Vein. Mortal Shell looks like it differs in that it has the best graphics of genre so far. I hope it doesn't plan on being released any time around Elden Ring.

Agreed...I would add Nioh 1/2 and Surge 1/2 in that list...well ok I even really liked Code Vein. Mortal Shell looks like it differs in that it has the best graphics of genre so far. I hope it doesn't plan on being released any time around Elden Ring.

the combat and enemy design in that Mortal Shell trailer also looked really impressive...the closest copycat to Souls for me was Lords of the Fallen...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1110910/Mortal_Shell/

Steam_Gif_1.gif

Steam_Gif_2.gif

Steam_Gif_3.gif

Timed EGS exclusive.

Putting aside the storefront issue for a moment, the boss battle at the end of this video is concerning since it looks like a textureless early alpha test build, and it looks like the same three clunky moves repeating over and over. The $29.95 pricepoint also doesn't convey confidence from the dev/publisher in terms of delivering a full length game.

Yet the other parts of the trailers featuring action in other game areas look pretty good albeit clunky combat. Hard to tell what this is going to end up being.

Last edited:
Putting aside the storefront issue for a moment, the boss battle at the end of this video is concerning since it looks like a textureless early alpha test build, and it looks like the same three clunky moves repeating over and over. The $29.95 pricepoint also doesn't convey confidence from the dev/publisher in terms of delivering a full length game.

Yet the other parts of the trailers featuring action in other game areas look pretty good albeit clunky combat. Hard to tell what this is going to end up being.
Probably why they took the Epic money: because they're not confident in their game.

as far as the Epic Sore exclusive...developers need to do what's best for them to survive and become profitable...

"The primary goals of our studio are to make Mortal Shell the best game it can be and to live another day and keep making awesome games in the future," said the founders of Cold Symmetry in a joint statement..."Epic's financial support, for a small studio like ours, was clearly going to help us achieve those goals so it was something we had to consider earnestly."

The 10min of gameplay from Fextralife more promising than the previous tutorial-boss-fight footage, but still the combat and animations look clunky and disconnected. And the character runs like he pooped his pants.

The art style is undeniably great, not surprising since the lead artist is an industry legend that's worked for Blizzard and other major studios. But art can only do so much for a game if combat or other aspects are lacking.

Last edited:
game looks really impressive...I wonder if shields are available or if combat is more like Sekiro/Bloodborne...based on gameplay footage this is the closest I've seen to the actual Souls games (Lords of the Fallen came closest)

Open beta is live and free to download on the Epic games store launcher

whoops, repost lol

Is the open beta any good? Wont be able to play for the next two days unless I call in to work.

Is the open beta any good? Wont be able to play for the next two days unless I call in to work.
After watching several gameplay videos of the beta over the weekend, I realized I no longer cared that Epic bribed them not to release the game on Steam - the combat is such a letdown.

Hopefully they take the Epic money that they insisted they needed "to make the game better", and actually make the game better. Because right now it's got great art style, but that's about it. Nothing else really stands out, its a clunky mess mechanically.

Last edited:
After watching several gameplay videos of the beta over the weekend, I realized I no longer cared that Epic bribed them not to release the game on Steam - the combat is such a letdown.

Hopefully they take the Epic money that they insisted they needed "to make the game better", and actually make the game better. Because right now it's got great art style, but that's about it. Nothing else really stands out, its a clunky mess mechanically.

While they are getting close to the announced release date in September, they have already made changes to the combat to make it have more impact and feedback to the player at least according to those I watched. So here's hoping they will continue to refine combat before release or even push back the release date if needed.

Finally found the Beta link it was on the front page but if you just search for it the solid game shows up instead.
Goes on until the 13th of July or something so I have time to try it over the next few days.

the typical Epic Store complainers want this game to be bad so it'll justify not buying it through Epic...how an online store can create such vitriol is ridiculous...it's a store like Uplay, GoG, Steam, Origin etc...how anyone can already have 5 gaming clients installed on their system and then decide that No I am not installing a 6th one out of some misguided principle is the definition of stupidity

a game will be good or bad based on the game itself and not the client used to install it

Just Buy it its it's only like 26.00 Going to launch the game this morning.

This game is awesome it's like Crytek version of Dark Souls lots of similar stuff recommend a controller.
Lots of good feels the tutorial can leave you helpless because they are way overpowered untill you hit the right buttons

Mortal Shell   7_8_2020 8_13_35 AM.png

I just bought it unsure of the release date at least it's not full prices after taxes it was like 31.00

Last edited:
Unreal Engine 4
Mortal Shell is using Unreal Engine 4, and looks stunning in 4K and on Ultra settings. From the looks of it, Cold Symmetry has used Quixel’s Megascans in order to enhance the game’s visuals. That, or the team has used Photogrammetry.

The combat is off-speed not nearly as to the point as pick a number Dark Souls game unless you play as a mage.
So it feels like a slower paced game which helps with immersion. Unless your at a boss fight the tempo picks up the only boss I fought was a guy hidden behind those tree branches in that Hobbit hole.

hopefully the game comes out in September as planned...November is all about Cyberpunk

Back