More Windows 10 update fail

scrolling through the comments on the kb's page, it looks like a lot of it is happening on HP laptops and a couple MSIs. might just be something they have on them causing interference. there are also a tonne of off topic postings driving the page count up making it look worse. like every update, there are always a handful that have problems. no issues on my home or work systems.
edit: speeling

Last edited:
scrolling through the comments on the kb's page, it looks like a lot of it is happening on HP laptops and a couple MSIs. might just be something they have on them causing interference. there are also a tonne of off topic postings driving the page count up making it look worse. like every update, there are always a handle that have problems. no issues on my home or work systems.
Never any issue on my Hp Laptop so far, really of any kind. It does get a lot of updates from Hp monthly as well, so alot of issues could be from HP's end.

If you don't do regular backups yet, you deserve this.

People definitely need to take backups more seriously, but no one deserves data loss.

I don't have backups of my Windows install, (other than occasional drive image dumps to my NAS) but if I were to lose my windows partition, the biggest loss would be old game saves. Nothing else is on my Windows partitions.

Not really news. It's just the norm. Just make a sticky about problems with updates. Much easier to have it all in one spot.

People definitely need to take backups more seriously, but no one deserves data loss.

I don't have backups of my Windows install, (other than occasional drive image dumps to my NAS) but if I were to lose my windows partition, the biggest loss would be old game saves. Nothing else is on my Windows partitions.

Didn't a previous Windows update delete data from other volumes and mapped drives? Or was that a malware worm that did that? I have trouble telling them apart anymore.

Didn't a previous Windows update delete data from other volumes and mapped drives? Or was that a malware worm that did that? I have trouble telling them apart anymore.

I do recall a previous Windows update resulting in data loss, but I believe that was only in the home folder.

I do plan for that eventuality too. My NAS server does an automatic nightly snapshot on all of my critical data, which is both stored locally, and automatically backed up to my remote storage server. Nightly snapshots are kept for 7 days both locally and remotely before being automatically removed. Weekly snapshots are kept for a month both locally and remotely before automatically being removed. Monthly snapshots are kept for a year both locally and remotely before automatic removal. And then there's an annual snapshot. I don't have an automatic deletion set up for those, and I've never removed one manually either.

No system is perfect, but with redundant drives in ZFS pools both locally and remotely, I think I have my bases pretty well covered.

I do recall a previous Windows update resulting in data loss, but I believe that was only in the home folder.

I do plan for that eventuality too. My NAS server does an automatic nightly snapshot on all of my critical data, which is both stored locally, and automatically backed up to my remote storage server. Nightly snapshots are kept for 7 days both locally and remotely before being automatically removed. Weekly snapshots are kept for a month both locally and remotely before automatically being removed. Monthly snapshots are kept for a year both locally and remotely before automatic removal. And then there's an annual snapshot. I don't have an automatic deletion set up for those, and I've never removed one manually either.

No system is perfect, but with redundant drives in ZFS pools both locally and remotely, I think I have my bases pretty well covered.
^^^^^^^^This guy backs up^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a cheap NUC that has a external 4TB drive hooked up and that's my "NAS" that I backup to everynight (And Wife's), keep 7 days/backups worth, then oldest gets deleted. and I make a manual backup to a external USB 1TB drive for cold storage every once in a while when I feel like it. I need a real "remote" backup but I'm cheap, best option is to use my parents NAS in another state...

it wasnt really lost. it was moved to a temp profile and didnt revert back to normal after the update.

^^^^^^^^This guy backs up^^^^^^^^^^^
He's got ME beat.

I used to keep all of my files for nostalgic reasons. Every time I upgraded to a new computer, I would dump the drive to the new one and keep all of my old files. All of them dating back to my first PC in 1991.

I always knew I was supposed to back up, but I was a college student, who wanted CPU and GPU upgrades and beer, and it was never quite in the budget.

Then in 2001 I had a drive failure. I lost everything.

Ever since I've been determined to not have that happen again.

I didn't quite have the financial means to start protecting my data until about 2009. At first I did things wrong. Learned from it and tweaked it.

By 2010 I had a redundant ZFS pool, By 2014 I was backing up all snapshots from the server to Crashplan.

In 2017 when Crashplan stopped their affordable consumer service, I was looking around for an alternative. Considered remote hosting, but the storage quantities I needed were too expensive. Considered colocation, but found that colocation services are shockingly expensive. Turns out a friend of mine who is also into servers also wanted to do remote backups, so I stashed a server at his house, and he stashed one at mine, and thus we have offsite backup capability for just the cost of the server and electricity!

Anyway. Back on topic.

Microsoft really needs to figure out what the hell they are doing. This type of shit just didn't used to happen before Windows 10. Do they not do any quality control at all?

Last edited:
If an end user doesn't know where the data went then it was really lost.
misplaced sure, lost as in "i cant find my keys" sure but not lost as in "gone for good" which is what was claimed back then. it was also fixed and solutions/data location were out in a couple days.

edit: speeling/"s

Last edited:
Until earlier today, I was experiencing random CTDs in various games. Uninstalled KB and it seems to have fixed the crashing. Despite being fully aware that Microsoft cannot catch all the bugs, this particular bout was pretty severe.

When the OS is absolutely perfect, you don't need no stinking testing.

I remember when we did backups for a different reason.... that was a long long time ago.

Bunch of laptops at work had issues with the patch, updated their BIOS and the chipset drivers and the issues went away on them.

It's crazy reading this every time it happens. Honestly, I would have stayed on 8.1 if given the option. Didn't have to worry about this Windows as a Service BS, some of the best parts from Windows 7 and 10, all my legacy parts/software still worked. :(

Installed since April 15th and no issues on two custom desktops, Surface Pro or Surface Go so far.

This Windows 10 update fail is the most serious yet – here’s what you need to do
Windows 10 is suffering yet more problems thanks to a faulty update – and this one could be its most serious one yet, with users reporting Blue Screen of Death errors and deleted files after installing Windows 10 KB4549951.

If you don't do regular backups yet, you deserve this.
Nobody deserves this as the update system is force fed to users. Also an OS being a threat the file system is beyond the pale.

It's crazy reading this every time it happens. Honestly, I would have stayed on 8.1 if given the option. Didn't have to worry about this Windows as a Service BS, some of the best parts from Windows 7 and 10, all my legacy parts/software still worked. :(

I'm still using 8.1 + Classic Shell on new builds. The only Win10 system I have is my laptop, which didn't have 7/8 drivers. It's running a modified 10 install. I have an Enterprise key for 10 if I need it.

Never any issue on my Hp Laptop so far, really of any kind. It does get a lot of updates from Hp monthly as well, so alot of issues could be from HP's end.

Same, no issues here so far on my HP laptop, a haswell i5 model. Its also ended up being my guinea pig since it has the more forced updated system of Win10 Home. My Asus gaming laptop refused to update on its own for over a year. It was down to either wipe and fresh install v1903 but running Wsus on it managed to fix whatever the hold up was and get it to update on it's own.

Same, no issues here so far on my HP laptop, a haswell i5 model. Its also ended up being my guinea pig since it has the more forced updated system of Win10 Home. My Asus gaming laptop refused to update on its own for over a year. It was down to either wipe and fresh install v1903 but running Wsus on it managed to fix whatever the hold up was and get it to update on it's own.

i'm sure that helps all the people that lost their personal data feel a whole lot better.

ALL HAIL windows 10! LONG LIVE microsoft!

pretty disgusting if you ask me. remind me again why they killed off win7 and forced everyone to update to win10?!

i'm sure that helps all the people that lost their personal data feel a whole lot better.

Never said it did. Just reporting my experience. But hey, if you want more arguments I guess I could play the windows white knight defender role. I've fought against it for 7 or so years now since win8.

Never said it did. Just reporting my experience. But hey, if you want more arguments I guess I could play the windows white knight defender role. I've fought against it for 7 or so years now since win8.

It's the russian roulette nature of W10 updates on the whole that's most troubling. The anecdotal "I didn't have a problem personally" or "my laptop at work needed a re-image after the update" only highlight the inconsistency.

At least they stopped pushing the semi-annual, in-place full reinstalls (aka "feature update") and have focused on just patching.

Last edited:
Hmm.. my gaming desktop updated upon a reboot a few days back and now every time it's starting up it locks up and lets a high pitch squeal out of the speakers. Occasionally itll end with a dpc watchdog bsod. It'll only boot after attempting a system recovery.

System was completely fine before that update and ive since stress tested, memtested, checked hdd health, reinstalled chipset, video, and audio drivers.. still happening. Sfc scan and dism health check pass with no errors. Only thing I can think of is that they finally screwed up compatibility with my sound blaster x-fi titanium pro for good, but it works fine when the system actually boots.

Time to reformat .. again.. i guess. I'm going to have to find some hack that will just simply break windows update, it appears to do more harm than good and I dont exactly get to pick what I want installed.

I don't even care for any of these updates on a pc thats used solely for gaming and quarantined from my work computer.

Last edited:

is there a free software automatic way to get nightly or weekly backups? I just have to remember to make Win7 backup type Images every so often and it does just fine, but an auto way sounds good. (Not to derail this thread any worse lol)

is there a free software automatic way to get nightly or weekly backups? I just have to remember to make Win7 backup type Images every so often and it does just fine, but an auto way sounds good. (Not to derail this thread any worse lol)

There probably is, but my solution is NAS based.

All of my important files are stored on a ZFS pool on the NAS via 10gbit Ethernet.

I create the snapshots and backups using the built in ZFS snapshot and incremental send/recv commands triggered from Cron using custom scripts.

There absolutely had to be a free Windows tool that does this, but I am not familiar with it.

Remember to point this out when someone says that nothing like this happens to Windows.

Nothing like this happens to me on all 3 of my custom built computers. Also, nothing like this has happened on the 2 computers my friend has, one HP AIO he uses and a machine his son paid for and had me build for him last year.

I think it's the russian roulette nature of W10 updates on the whole that's most troubling. And so anecdotal "I didn't have a problem personally" or the opposite "my laptop at work required a re-image after the update" only highlight that, not disprove it.

In fairness, since they stopped pushing the semi-annual, in-place full reinstalls (aka "feature update") and have focused on just patching, things are less chaotic.

Oh, they still push the semi annual updates but, they are automatically delayed for 18 months or so.

Nothing like this happens to me on all 3 of my custom built computers. Also, nothing like this has happened on the 2 computers my friend has, one HP AIO he uses and a machine his son paid for and had me build for him last year.
Then it must be all good!

You can schedule those Windows Backups. I have some fulltime running Windows 10 that do just that, backing up to the NAS.

Back