More GTX 680 news

how does this post of information which we have already heard make it seem more likely that the GTX680 is going to rock? :confused:

If it turns out to be true that it supports 2GB of 256-bit GDDR5 VRAM, that would fall short of AMD's Radeon HD 7970, whose 384-bit bus serves 3GB of GDDR5 memory. LULZ oh ya check this out you nvidia fan boi's

http://pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Nobody-likes-NVIDIA-even-Apple-wont-play-them

Lol back to the apple forums with you, no one gives a fuck about apples opinion.

The HD 2900XT had a 512-bit bus and it got stomped like a bitch by the 8800gtx. I guess you didn't know that.

My GTX 285 had a 512 bit memory bus and my 4890 256 bit beat it in most tests. From 256 bit on up is more about optimizing the architecture and faster memory.

Lol back to the apple forums with you, no one gives a fuck about apples opinion.

The HD 2900XT had a 512-bit bus and it got stomped like a bitch by the 8800gtx. I guess you didn't know that.

maybe you don't but I'm sure NV is unhappy about losing that deal.

i cant seem to accept the fact that a video card with two 6 pin connectors can cost over $500 bucks.

Should be interesting either way to see how things pan out. At the least we will see the prices of the gtx570 and 580 cards drop. And certainly neither one of those are considered "slow" by any means..

Last edited:
Because performance is directly related to power consumption...how?

For a fab node, it typically is.

Since we already seen AMD's mobile tech creep into it's desktop GPU tech, lets see if/how nVidia's mobile (hell, maybe even Tegra) tech has gone about.

Because performance is directly related to power consumption...how?

For a specific generation of cards it generally is...since this is a new process we'll have to see how that pans out but I don't see why it wouldn't follow the same patterns?

Why would we complain about a card that is going to be using less power than the previous generation? Unless it absolutely fails in performance, it shouldn't matter how much power it is using in relation to price.

Why would we complain about a card that is going to be using less power than the previous generation? Unless it absolutely fails in performance, it shouldn't matter how much power it is using in relation to price.

I don't think anyone's complaining as a new node should offer that...it's the scaling of power to performance someone questioned.

Now all NVIDIA has to do is price this card right. $300 :)

This card is looking epic.

Mmm...looks tasty. Maybe I'll swap my GTX 590 out for two GTX 680's. :D

Now all NVIDIA has to do is price this card right. $300 :)

This card is looking epic.

I understand you really want a card in your $299.99 budget but if this card benches past the 7950 and 7970 expect it to be priced near 7970 pricing.

Why would Nvidia price a card that may perform better than their comp insanely low? They always have and always will price near AMD and vice versa.

Nvidia knows that enthusiasts don't have mid-range card budgets and will pay a premium for performance.

I understand you really want a card in your $299.99 budget but if this card benches past the 7950 and 7970 expect it to be priced near 7970 pricing.

Why would Nvidia price a card that may perform better than their comp insanely low? They always have and always will price near AMD and vice versa.

Nvidia knows that enthusiasts don't have mid-range card budgets and will pay a premium for performance.

Well provided they can still make a decent profit, it would be a good way to grab a massive market share. Probably won't happen but it's a nice dream.

Well provided they can still make a decent profit, it would be a good way to grab a massive market share. Probably won't happen but it's a nice dream.

I hope Ferrari does the same thing one day too.

With Nvidia having a 50%+ market share on discrete graphics (different than Jon Peddie Research estimates which estimates total GPU shipments) I highly doubt Nvidia will drop the price when they will retain a large percentage of buyers at high MSRP's.

Just look at Intel. Would you expect Intel to drop their prices just to gain a slightly larger market share? They know they have a good product and they can charge a premium.

IF Kepler does what rumors say then Nvidia will charge a hefty price. A low MSRP would be a sure sign something is wrong.

The HD79XX series has a big advantage over the GTX680 because it has 3GB of vdram and a larger memory interface to work it.

GTX680 is not NVIDIA's top dog but it may just be that it is able to beat the 79XX at lower resolution settings on certain benchmarks.

I think in general the GTX680 will perform better at 1920x1080 resolution on single display but at higher resolution the HD79XX will win and that is why NVIDIA will have to release the big dog soon with more vdram.

I think the GTX680 will be priced right in between the HD7870 and HD7950. At that price point it offers alot of performance and meets a performance price point that hasn't been touched yet.

As much as I would love to see NVIDIA release the GTX680 GK104 card at $299 chances are the price will be $399.99. At $399.99 everyone is going to scream price fixing in this industry. If NVIDIA really wants to beat their competition they need to undercut HD7870 price. IF NVIDIA beats HD7870 price point then NVIDIA will be performing like any competitive corporation should. NVIDIA needs to beat AMD and they only have one choice if that is what they really want to do.

I really want to believe NVIDIA is in this to win it and I really doubt the GTX680 will be priced above $400. Hope NVIDIA comes out looking like a champ, not because I am a fan boy but because I'm a fan of clean good sportsmanship. NVIDIA has the game winning shot in their hands this time around. Pricing will determine if they win.

Last edited:
As much as I would love to see NVIDIA release the GTX680 GK104 card at $299 chances are the price will be $399.99. At $399.99 everyone is going to scream price fixing in this industry. If NVIDIA really wants to beat their competition they need to undercut HD7870 price. IF NVIDIA beats HD7870 price point then NVIDIA will be performing like any competitive corporation should. NVIDIA needs to beat AMD and they only have one choice if that is what they really want to do.

I really want to believe NVIDIA is in this to win it and I really doubt the GTX680 will be priced above $400. Hope NVIDIA comes out looking like a champ, not because I am a fan boy but because I'm a fan of clean good sportsmanship. NVIDIA has the game winning shot in their hands this time around. Pricing will determine if they win.

Unfortunately, I think the GTX 680 branding kills any hope of a $400 price. If it was the GTX 660 Ti, or even the GTX 670, maybe, but the GTX x80 name means top-end pricing.

Can anyone confirm that one Kepler card can run 3 monitors with NVIDIA Surround.

No one knows yet, but Kyle said in a different thread that it would.

If it was the GTX 660 Ti, or even the GTX 670, maybe, but the GTX x80 name means top-end pricing.

NVIDIA has done some confusing naming on their video cards in the past. Ignoring the naming this card is looking more like a AMD HD7870 killer that just happens to beat up on the HD79XX cards as well.

Unfortunately, I think the GTX 680 branding kills any hope of a $400 price. If it was the GTX 660 Ti, or even the GTX 670, maybe, but the GTX x80 name means top-end pricing.

I tend to agree, the price will be relatively high at least for a while. Hopefully we'll see some lower-end cards come out in the 6xx series in the not too distant future.

NVIDIA has done some confusing naming on their video cards in the past. Ignoring the naming this card is looking more like a AMD HD7870 killer that just happens to beat up on the HD79XX cards as well.

Yes, but the naming is what places it in the product line-up, and so in the pricing scheme. They'd have trouble charging $500 for a card called the GTX 660 Ti, but they'll have no trouble charging that for the GTX 680. There are three iterations of the GTX x80 card being $499 at launch, I don't see that changing now.

Back