More DOOM Gameplay Footage

I didn't go in with many expectations and enjoyed the video. If it turns out close to that I'll play it and enjoy it.

I hope for the demo purposes they used brighter environments but what was there looked neat and well put together. I just hope you can move around a bit more, don't build a big open room and block it off even if its a suicide jump :)

The maps looked interesting and fun. The enemies were familiar yet different, same with the weapons.

Hard to judge movement and activity due to the controller having a different look and feel from a mouse and keyboard.

While I think they over touted their multiplayer stuff I love the included tools that make it easy to build content. Seemed like portals built in tool. Great for some fun basic maps, while advanced moders had access to do their thing. Similar to Cities Skylines, so much wonderful content there immediately just improving the game.

I hope they do it right!

Thank goodness they didn't change anything since Doom II.
<yawn>

Still, this looks better than Doom 3 (easier to do graphics when you can't see 3ft beyond yourself)... maybe it will be as good as Doom II?
<yawn>

I hate it when games companies try to create new inventive game play "stuff".... Doom II for the win!

That's ridiculous, there's no way the game will look like that when it's released. The same goes for any game being shown at E3.
Looks pretty average for a game in 2015 honestly. Not bad, just nothing mind blowing. Not sure why you don't think it could look like this.

Looks like dogshit. Deadspace meets Doom 3. No thank you but just like Duke Nukem, somethings better left alone.

womp womp

debbie_downer2.jpg

It looks okay, but seems like it will get dull fast. Non-stop blasting away at really dumb enemies. Snazzy animations and pointless over the top blood with no context can't hold up an inherently lazily designed game.

*Over the top gore with no context, as in it doesn't add to the game. The game doesn't look scary at all. Excess blood is just to be edgy and "cool". Like an overdone lens flare effect.

It looks okay, but seems like it will get dull fast. Non-stop blasting away at really dumb enemies. Snazzy animations and pointless over the top blood with no context can't hold up an inherently lazily designed game.

*Over the top gore with no context, as in it doesn't add to the game. The game doesn't look scary at all. Excess blood is just to be edgy and "cool". Like an overdone lens flare effect.

This is kinda where I'm leaning. You have 2 options when designing a game

1) Simulation - everything should make sense, based on realistic perceptions even if fantasy

2) Arcade - free pass to do whatever, therefore you should really exploit the advantages of no rules

The original doom series were arcade shooters. The actual worlds did not feel like worlds you would want to explore, but rather were just a series of connected rooms and hallways meant to set up the next challenge.

With today's level of graphics everyone feels you must make worlds realistic, even if that world exists in hell. Think of it like playing the orange maps in counter-strike. The levels forego all semblance of scenery and just focus on pure and simple map dynamics. Now imagine if you replaced all the textures with normal textures again. You'd have a very odd looking game with high res textures yet totally inconceivable structures.

I think doom works best as a fast paced shooter with LOTS of enemies in totally chaotic environments where your only goal is to maneuver the area with no real regard for "why is this over here and that over there? This room is stupid". If it plays well then it works.

This is kinda where I'm leaning. You have 2 options when designing a game

1) Simulation - everything should make sense, based on realistic perceptions even if fantasy

2) Arcade - free pass to do whatever, therefore you should really exploit the advantages of no rules

The original doom series were arcade shooters. The actual worlds did not feel like worlds you would want to explore, but rather were just a series of connected rooms and hallways meant to set up the next challenge.

Star Wars Battlefront needs to be a historically accurate and canon simulation style experience or it's shit... Arcade Star Wars stuff is not historically accurate, therefore it's shit. (posts about other posts are shit, too, I know...).

Like you say - Doom is very arcade like. Nothing made much sense as far as placement. It's a run and gun and have fun kind of game. The levels were designed for the most fun, not that made sense if done in the real world. Long corridor leading to a room filled with barrels and bad guys and walls that open? Unless the US government funded it, it's not very realistic.

I think a lot of people here are missing the essence of what Doom is supposed to be:

1) Demons.
2) Heavy weapons.
3) Blowing the F!@$ out of #1 with #2 while trying not to die.

That's the Doom formula. When the first Doom game came out, it followed Wolfenstein-3D. The basic design was an answer to Carmack having seen Ultima Underworld. He said "I can do that faster and better and make it more fun". Along came Catacomb 3D, and Catacomb Abyss, which set the stage for Wolf. The idea was fast action with a simple interface. Instead of dragging things around the screen you just walked over something and automatically picked it up. Nobody cared about story, or complex character interactions or development, it was just you mowing down hordes of Nazis with a freaking gatling gun. Then came Doom, and it was taken to the next level - mowing down hordes of demons with all sorts of guns, in (somewhat) 3D, with textures on the ceiling and floor, and hallways that were not just 90 degree turns.

If you want meaningful story, character development, and Shakespearean conversations, go play something else. Taking Doom down that route will make it "not Doom".

If you want to cut demons in half with a chainsaw and blow them back to hell with a double-barreled shotgun, and the only dialogue is blood-curdling screams, THAT is Doom. It doesn't HAVE to be more complex than that.... though ripping demon hearts out and stuffing them down their throats is damned appealing to me, so I'm liking this so far.

@Kyle: NICE on spotting the shotgun primers! I hadn't really been watching the reload animation as I was too busy drooling over all the meaty gibs. :p

I think a lot of people here are missing the essence of what Doom is supposed to be:

1) Demons.
2) Heavy weapons.
3) Blowing the F!@$ out of #1 with #2 while trying not to die.

That's the Doom formula. When the first Doom game came out, it followed Wolfenstein-3D. The basic design was an answer to Carmack having seen Ultima Underworld. He said "I can do that faster and better and make it more fun". Along came Catacomb 3D, and Catacomb Abyss, which set the stage for Wolf. The idea was fast action with a simple interface. Instead of dragging things around the screen you just walked over something and automatically picked it up. Nobody cared about story, or complex character interactions or development, it was just you mowing down hordes of Nazis with a freaking gatling gun. Then came Doom, and it was taken to the next level - mowing down hordes of demons with all sorts of guns, in (somewhat) 3D, with textures on the ceiling and floor, and hallways that were not just 90 degree turns.

If you want meaningful story, character development, and Shakespearean conversations, go play something else. Taking Doom down that route will make it "not Doom".

If you want to cut demons in half with a chainsaw and blow them back to hell with a double-barreled shotgun, and the only dialogue is blood-curdling screams, THAT is Doom. It doesn't HAVE to be more complex than that.... though ripping demon hearts out and stuffing them down their throats is damned appealing to me, so I'm liking this so far.

@Kyle: NICE on spotting the shotgun primers! I hadn't really been watching the reload animation as I was too busy drooling over all the meaty gibs. :p

I mostly agree. However, I absolutely loved Doom 3. So in my mind, a combination makes a lot of sense. More to the game than Doom 1 and 2, but more action than 3. I'd love more of Doom 3's exact formula, but it doesn't need to be THIS new Doom. In fact, having something a little different sounds good for a change of pace. I can always play D3 and ROE if I want that.

I liked seeing that type of old school game again. Hopefully it won't be just a couple of hours long. It does need to be a darker environment though it seemed just a bit too bright.

Looks pretty average for a game in 2015 honestly. Not bad, just nothing mind blowing. Not sure why you don't think it could look like this.

They are targeting 60 fps on consoles and it still looks at least on par with what's out there. Things could change at release, though.

I have zero reason to think it won't look like this at release. (maybe even better with that much time to polish it up) In most cases I think 60 fps is fine. It would be nice if they didn't lock it on the PC so everyone would be happy, but looking at the recent Wolfenstein games and RAGE, they look great at 60. Provided it's no lower than that, they're doing ok. Still would be best if it could be unlocked, synced to higher rates, etc.

So far this looks very faithful to the gameplay of the originals, and that's got me pretty hyped. Doom 3 tried to go too far down the graphics, feels, and story route, and that's not what Doom is supposed to be; it's supposed to be a mindless run-and-gun. Looks great so far.

So far this looks very faithful to the gameplay of the originals, and that's got me pretty hyped. Doom 3 tried to go too far down the graphics, feels, and story route, and that's not what Doom is supposed to be; it's supposed to be a mindless run-and-gun. Looks great so far.

I'll agree with that, except that Doom 3 was a very good game in it's own right. It may not have been what classic Doom players were expecting (for some that's good, for some that's bad) but it was a really good game. I don't care if they go back to the original, go down the Doom 3 road, or some mixture, as I like all of the above, but yeah, in its original context it was a pretty mindless shooter. (unless you started getting creative with the way you played it...)

With Doom though, there is a lot of room for tweaking the game style I think. Less so with the Quake franchise. They actually reinvented Quake with just about every iteration (except 2 and 4 were closely related.) I'd personally like to see a new Quake that was some combination of 1 and 3. Slipgate exploration would be a cool concept to build on. That would give a huge amount of freedom in the types of worlds/levels/styles that would become possible. It would be cool to break away from the Strogg a bit since they did that in two Quakes, and inject some variety into the environments. (while keeping the game-play itself relatively simple) Then they could follow it up with another campaign based one like Q2 and Q4. Separate it by odd and even numbers. :D

With Doom though, there is a lot of room for tweaking the game style I think. Less so with the Quake franchise. They actually reinvented Quake with just about every iteration (except 2 and 4 were closely related.) I'd personally like to see a new Quake that was some combination of 1 and 3. Slipgate exploration would be a cool concept to build on. That would give a huge amount of freedom in the types of worlds/levels/styles that would become possible. It would be cool to break away from the Strogg a bit since they did that in two Quakes, and inject some variety into the environments. (while keeping the game-play itself relatively simple) Then they could follow it up with another campaign based one like Q2 and Q4. Separate it by odd and even numbers. :D

Sorry, no edit in this thread. More so than Doom, I think Quake needs to be very fast paced, (like all of them were except the first half of 4.) Quake 4 was a little too slow IMO until you get to "that one part" and then it starts to pick up for the rest of the game.

And it takes A LOT for this man to get excited nowadays

I remember reading articles on this site about Riva 128s and Quake 2. It's been a while since this was true, but id games always seemed pretty prevalent on this site over the years. It would be nice to see that again, hopefully with the new Doom. I'm a huge fan of RAGE, but I see how it let this place down a bit due to the early video card issues. Also the frame limit caps kinda keep at least the Tech 4 / Tech 5 based games from becoming good evaluation tools. Hopefully Tech 6 engine brings id back to where they once were.

Yep, don't fall for it. FUCK pre-ordering. Make them earn your cash.

There's not even a benefit to doing it.. they don't run out of copies at gamestop to give out anymore! So why do people do it? :confused::confused::confused:

I remember reading articles on this site about Riva 128s and Quake 2. It's been a while since this was true, but id games always seemed pretty prevalent on this site over the years. It would be nice to see that again, hopefully with the new Doom. I'm a huge fan of RAGE, but I see how it let this place down a bit due to the early video card issues. Also the frame limit caps kinda keep at least the Tech 4 / Tech 5 based games from becoming good evaluation tools. Hopefully Tech 6 engine brings id back to where they once were.

With Carmack long since gone and somewhat gone over the deep end, I'm not really holding my breathe for that.

With Carmack long since gone and somewhat gone over the deep end, I'm not really holding my breathe for that.

Yeah, he was definitely the tech innovator there, and I agree... He's kinda gone off the deep end. :D Still brilliant I think, but it's somewhat misdirected I think, but that's just my opinion, and that of a fan of what he formerly did...

Still there still seems to be some talent over there, so we'll see. I too will continue to breathe though in the meantime.

Wow, that was a pretty insane run-on sentence I just did there. :D :eek:

(except 2 and 4 were closely related.)
I have to throw the "purist" card on this one. Quake 4 was NOTHING like Quake 2. The entire aesthetic was altered to the point that I hated it. It did not feel like a proper sequel to Quake 2, but more of a reboot of Quake 2. The problem I had with this was that Quake 2 did not need a reboot and complete graphic overhaul. It just needed to be enhanced from the low poly, low resolution environment and brought up to date. With Doom or Wolfenstein you had low res 2D (2.5D) sprites and flat walls, so a major graphic update made sense. Some people hated Doom 3, I like the game for what it is, but Quake 4 is the only Id title I've deliberately waited until it was $10 bargain-bin fodder and then uninstalled it after two goes.

I'd personally like to see a new Quake that was some combination of 1 and 3. Slipgate exploration would be a cool concept to build on.

Quake 1 never received a proper sequel, which it needed - and this coming from someone that did not like Quake 1 when it was first released. When I first played Doom 3 my thoughts were that the engine would be perfect for a Q1 sequel, and I would have played it for certain. Id missed that chance. I later came to like Quake 1 a lot more after engine mods removed the jerkiness from the model animations by adding interpolation. I can take sprite jerkiness in Doom, but the model jerkiness in Q1 was nauseating to me.

More so than Doom, I think Quake needs to be very fast paced.

That's what I miss with new games. So many are slow and plodding. Quake you'd have a floor drop out under you or a door open and get pounced on by two or three fiends. You had to be quick and mind your explosives.

I also miss the monster infighting in the older games. At one point near the beginning of the Doom video footage one of the imp(?) creatures jumped ahead of the player and looked like it was about to attack the monster shooting the red energy stuff right before the player shotgunned it into oblivion. Judging from the angle the shooting monster was firing, it looked like it could have hit the other creature when it was behind the player. If monster infighting is back I will be extremely happy. That was one of the best parts of Doom and Quake was watching one monster hit another and then see them go to town. I still get a cackle when I see a zombieman get careless and hit a Baron of Hell and the Baron turns around and claws the zombieman into a puddle of fleshy goo. I'd deliberately maneuver monsters so that they'd attack each other. There used to be a bug prior to 1.8 that involved exploding barrels. You could actually get imps, barons, and demons to fight each other by accidentally hurting each other with barrels in a certain manner, and you could even get a monster to attack itself. The most hilarious thing I saw was watching a Baron of Hell claw itself to death. Having all the creatures attack you and only you all the time ala Serious Sam can get rather dull and predictable. Having the potential for a monster fight makes things more interesting.

Which Carmack? John has always been more nuts and bolts on the engine. Adrian Carmack, Kevin Cloud, and John Romero, and Sandy Petersen are where the visual style and gameplay came from for the original Doom. That era is long over.

Which Carmack? John has always been more nuts and bolts on the engine. Adrian Carmack, Kevin Cloud, and John Romero, and Sandy Petersen are where the visual style and gameplay came from for the original Doom. That era is long over.

That was in response to me saying I'd like to see the engine be serviceable for evaluations at [H] again like the good old days. So John was the Carmack in question here.

I agree on the monster infighting. I was just playing something the other day that had a bunch of this. I've been playing a lot of RAGE and Borderlands though, so I can't remember which. Maybe both even. I know I've seen bandits fight skaggs in BL, but for some reason I don't think that's what it was. It was just the other day. I sat and watched for a bit too. :D Would definitely be cool to see more of that.

This!
This is why gaming tech has stagnated over the past several years. The devs can so easily "play" the gaming public with demos they never intend to be the delivered product. They take in huge money up front on a product they never actually deliver. Why would they mess up this money machine as long as people keep queuing up to get screwed time and time again?
Ya well, by the time you realize it, you are no longer buying and another round of naive 16 year olds are there to take your place. Sorry.

Every doom game has to make it look like everything is made of plastic, I don't get it they never get better...

Yeah, he was definitely the tech innovator there, and I agree... He's kinda gone off the deep end.
You consider VR the "deep end"!?

In-fighting was actually a happy accident. If John Carmack hadn't been horribly messy with his code after that 14th pizza slice made his brain fog up a bit at 4am that might not have happened!

I'd say above all Adrian was the one responsible for the look of Doom. I think Cloud did a lot of texture work. Romero was basically a map and gameplay designer along with Petersen. I just read the Doom Bible. Awesome book which would be a great movie.

You consider VR the "deep end"!?

Well, in some ways.... maybe... :D

Seriously though, no, not really. I find it extremely exciting actually. Carmack himself, while still brilliant seems to have lost some of his focus. Or maybe just spreading himself more thinly amongst him million and a half hobbies and interests. Maybe his haircut just lost its pizzazz. I don't know. The last couple of things I've seen him talk about didn't seem to have the same impact that his old keynotes had in the past. Maybe not deep end in the crazy sense of the term but not the same. I'm sure writing game engine code gets a little tiresome though, so I don't blame him at all for branching out. Maybe I've gone off the deep end. I just used to enjoy hearing what he worked on, and now I find myself not caring as much. VR is cool, but I'll appreciate it when it's in my hands. In the meantime I'm not paying close attention.

In-fighting was actually a happy accident. If John Carmack hadn't been horribly messy with his code after that 14th pizza slice made his brain fog up a bit at 4am that might not have happened!

Cool, I like hearing about that kind of stuff. I should read that book.

Carmack himself, while still brilliant seems to have lost some of his focus. Or maybe just spreading himself more thinly amongst him million and a half hobbies and interests.[/color]
Like trying to build rockets. Just because you're good at writing video games doesn't necessarily mean you're good at rocket science.

Maybe his haircut just lost its pizzazz.
John Romero is the one that had the hair. ;)

Back