More DLSS...

Control was so good. Well worth dropping what you're doing and playing.

I just finished control, the story is pretty good and a bit confusing at times, and the game is pretty. But I didn't really like the combat that much. I don't think the game is worth more than $20. Game length and replay ability is kind of low.

I thought this was a cool comparison. Wolfenstein | Control.

Wolfenstein  Youngblood Screenshot 2020.01.25 - 21.34.35.56.png Control Screenshot 2020.08.28 - 21.28.34.30.png

Youre not kidding. So happy I got a RTX card when I did too.
Besides just playing, I have to run around and explore everything because it looks so good.

Outstanding.

Agreed! I actually decided to just turn everything up to maximum today since I'm running at 1080 with DLSS. Smooth as silk even in the busiest areas. Absolutely gorgeous. I may do some tweaks, and see how it runs with different scaling, but it's barely noticeable anyway. The game is very fun on top of looking good.

I really hope they will introduce DLSS 3.0 or something similar that works with many older games as well. RTX doesn't really matter to me yet.

DLSS 2.1 SDK just released.
(I assume it is the 8K optimization/VR features mentioned)
I keep hearing rumors about DLSS 3.0 though.

Last edited:
DLSS 2.1 SDK just released.
(I assume it is the 8K optimization/VR features mentioned)
I keep hearing rumors about DLSS 3.0 though.

Eventually something getting new versions will probably get to 3.0.

Though I would take the click bait that claimed it would just automatically work with any game that had TAA, as total BS.

Eventually something getting new versions will probably get to 3.0.

Though I would take the click bait that claimed it would just automatically work with any game that had TAA, as total BS.

Oh, I am just talking about NVIDIA has something called DLSS 3.0 in the works, no claims from my side about how the implementation works...it should be named DLSS 3.0 internally, people have seen it, that is all I know.
I don't care what retarded youtubers FUD'ed around of FUD...I have already seen people defend youtubers that failed a lot more than they were right....suckers want to be suckered I guess.

lol, around the 9 min mark, 2080Ti is considered low end for RTX with new generation of cards. So much for the rest of the Turning lineup.

Tools are much more mature now for RT, some fantastic stuff shown here in Unreal Engine. Expect way more RT games, maybe much more from Indie developers than the AAA ones. Especially when if you have a totally RT game, one could save so much time from having to do baking, lightmaps etc. I see a new boom in games coming. I hope AMD has been active with EPIC so the tools will work well with AMD solution. I would expect that since Unreal supports consoles.

I finally made a video about Death Stranding's DLSS implementation. Digital Foundry only noted one real visual issue and when I try to talk about it, people usually respond with something like "what issues? what are you talking about?"

I finally made a video about Death Stranding's DLSS implementation. Digital Foundry only noted one real visual issue and when I try to talk about it, people usually respond with something like "what issues? what are you talking about?"

Awesome talk through and showing the differences, also video in general on YouTube would make the differences even less apparent but they were very clear here. Makes me question the competence of reviewers, DLSS 2 has been out for awhile and these differences and others should have been well exposed by now. Thanks for the video, I too was under the impression DLSS was better than or equal to native resolution rendering, in this case it is not at all.

Has anyone tried Image Sharpening scaler in Nvidia driver options? Looks like a global upscaling option based on DLSS: Mafia DE struggles to run fluidly at native 3840x1600 maxed for me on my 'interim' 2060 KO but runs so happily at 2560x1080. Add the image sharpening scaler in NV driver and boom it's resampled at native resolution with results that look as good as running at native res (or 95% of it alteast). With this even a 2060 can be turned into a 4K card , yet the hunt for unobtanium aka 3080 continues lol.

Has anyone tried Image Sharpening scaler in Nvidia driver options? Looks like a global upscaling option based on DLSS: Mafia DE struggles to run fluidly at native 3840x1600 maxed for me on my 'interim' 2060 KO but runs so happily at 2560x1080. Add the image sharpening scaler in NV driver and boom it's resampled at native resolution with results that look as good as running at native res (or 95% of it alteast). With this even a 2060 can be turned into a 4K card , yet the hunt for unobtanium aka 3080 continues lol.

Its not using DLSS, my 1080ti also has it.

Interesting. I never saw that option before. I tried it out, it seems a little aggressive on default settings but works okay (I'd say not as good as Radeon Image Sharpening).

Also, had problems with certain resolutions. I'm on 3440x1440 and I could get 1720x720 to work, but the quality at 720p was bad. I wanted 2560x1080 but that was causing black screen and crashing.

I did try just normal 1080p and it actually looked okay. Maybe it doesn't work right on my monitor. That would be a nice way to get cheap extra performance.

So happy you made this, I've been experimenting with DLSS in every title available and personally, its hot garbage* even in control. Little details go missing, something subtle but weird happens with animations, and something similar to motion blur happens with camera movements.

*my personal experience of gaming on a HEDT with top of the line gear and prioritizing good pref with great IQ settings over pure fps. I can absolutely see the benefit of upscaling for high FPS gameplay.

Last edited:
https://www.techarp.com/games/nvidia-image-sharpening-guide/

this guide talks about the image sharpening and GPU scaling. The menu options look slightly different nowadays.

For the sharpening, I would try something around 0.40 or 0.44

Its a good quality sharpening tool. As good as anything available in reshade. And the performance is better than running Reshade. But you have to be careful with it because small adjustments make relatively larger differences than some of the sharpening shaders in Reshade. It can be easy to make it too sharp.

*Also, Nividia has a bunch of effects available in their overlay. Which makes it effectively similar to reshade. However, it only works on games which are approved for it.

To enable the higher quality GPU scaling, you basically go into the image sharpening option and then select "GPU scaling". This is apparently different than the GPU scaling setting in "adjust desktop size and position". However, Nvidia's driver needs some streamlining. Because if you have integer scaling selected before you set the GPU scaling in the sharpening menu, it can get screwy.

Its not DLSS. its a more traditional upscaling option. However, RTX cards and the 16** cards such as the 1660, have a higher quality 5 tap upscaler, with 32 samples of sharpening built-in. As such, you may not even need to activate the additional sharpening slider. After you set the scaling option in the image sharpening menu, you will now have some extra "scaling resolution" options in your "change resolution". They are some pre-set scaling modes. On my 1440p monitor, I get options for

2176 x 1224 (0.85x)
1920 x 1080 (0.75x)
1707 x 960 (0.66x)
1280 x 720 (0.50x)

If you set your desktop to one of these, it will then be available in the options menu of your games. So, you can guarantee its working.

With my RTX 2060 and my particular montor, the results in-game, are quite good. Its not quite as good as native res. But, its very usable. 1080p looks really solid, in game.

If you have a G-sync display with an actual G-sync module in it: those have a 6 tap scaler with 64 samples of sharpening. For those displays, you should be going into "adjust desktop size and position" and set scaling to be done by your display. Not your GPU.

Also, try integer scaling for 720p on a 1440p monitor. or 1080p on a 4K. Its really meant for 2D games with sprites and pixel art. But, its an interesting way to scale. (but you will probably need to turn off the sharpening filter, if you use integer scaling).

AMD's sharpening is interesting, because it also has the contrast aware aspect. Which can be adjusted. And in effect, its kind of like a mid-tone booster, such as the "clarity" shader.

Last edited:
Nvidia's Shield TV (the newest version) has a general image upscaler, which is handled by AI. And apparently, it is fantastic. I hope they port that over to RTX cards.

I thought this was entertaining....

Interesting that DLSS has similar artifacting at lower sampling resolutions as checkerboarding. High frequency textures (such as rocks with high contrasts and random differences) it cannot predict accurately the color so it comes out rather blurry. Other high frequency type items such as rain which is random and sufficient contrast the same, grass and other high number of of objects, water effects.

Personally I have not found AMD sharpening that good from the driver side, for me it adds more noise in general to the rendering. In RE3 the built in sharpening is done rather well.

So far the new rendering tech stuff in general seems to have not been sufficiently analyzed for benefits as well as issues it can bring

There's been a lot of analysis of DLSS 2.0 at 1/2 to 3/4 resolutions and I haven't seen anything that wasn't good to really good. It's not magic, at stunt resolutions like 1/5 to 1/8 it doesn't work great - but I don't really expect it to. Are there issues at 1/4 res and up for DLSS 2.0 that you don't like?

Yeah, I have almost 1,000 games, I'll never finish.

But I do take time to play new releases like Control or Metro Exodus.

Got caught up on Far Cry, still trying to catch up on Assassin's Creed (up to 3 now).

Back