Monster Hunter: World

I just might have found my new favourite game. This game is a lot of fun. It's a grind that doesn't really feel like a grind. I don't mind farming enemies over again since the battles are so fun.

so all the monsters are now the same across all platforms?

Pretty much but there's an event schedule, so we only got 1 or 2 rounds of some of the Arch Tempered monsters while consoles got them twice as much. I think the event schedule is the weakest aspect of the game because you pretty much need to commit to it if you want to get all gear sets.

Pretty much but there's an event schedule, so we only got 1 or 2 rounds of some of the Arch Tempered monsters while consoles got them twice as much. I think the event schedule is the weakest aspect of the game because you pretty much need to commit to it if you want to get all gear sets.

Honestly, once you get decent end-game gear and "git gud", you can get through the AT elders in a day or two. Unless you miss the events entirely (which, for the festivals which happen multiple times a year, they all come back anyway) you don't really need to farm AT monsters once you have sufficient tickets to craft the armor set and layered armor (if desired).

The event quest rotation doesn't really bother me that much, but the weekly bounties (daily during a festival) do make me feel like I have to commit to at least a couple hours a week. But let's be real, I'm going to be playing anyway so...whatever.

Honestly, once you get decent end-game gear and "git gud", you can get through the AT elders in a day or two. Unless you miss the events entirely (which, for the festivals which happen multiple times a year, they all come back anyway) you don't really need to farm AT monsters once you have sufficient tickets to craft the armor set and layered armor (if desired).

The event quest rotation doesn't really bother me that much, but the weekly bounties (daily during a festival) do make me feel like I have to commit to at least a couple hours a week. But let's be real, I'm going to be playing anyway so...whatever.

I'm just salty because I missed AT Teostra and Lunastra in DEC/JAN because I was playing other games. Haven't seen them come back since either.

I'm just salty because I missed AT Teostra and Lunastra in DEC/JAN because I was playing other games. Haven't seen them come back since either.

They should be back on the 26th with the Spring festival.

I think whatever engine they used for Monster Hunter puts the Witcher 3 to shame as far as boss battles.

The combat in MHW is certainly far better. Graphically, I think the Witcher 3 definitely wins, though.

My son loved monster hunter for the switch. Hes 8 and I think we could both get into this game. Is it possible to 2 man stuff? Hes 8 and I would hate to slow down others progress if he does something silly.

My son loved monster hunter for the switch. Hes 8 and I think we could both get into this game. Is it possible to 2 man stuff? Hes 8 and I would hate to slow down others progress if he does something silly.
Definitely. The game is largely solo-able (though certain monsters may be very difficult such as Behemoth). When you group up the game scales the monsters according to how many people you have in your group (except for Behemoth). The only thing that doesn't scale is the number of faints/deaths you and your group get which remains the same regardless of the number of players.

Go for it.
My wife and I have been playing it together. Sometimes it's just the 2 of us, sometimes we're in a full group. But you can limit your group size to the two of you when playing together.
You could party up with more players in the expeditions where they don't count faints. In the actual quests you'll have a faint limit before the quest fails.

My son is also 8 but he hasn't tried this game yet. He's enjoyed watching my wife and I play it though. Him and his sister love that I made my Palico look like our cat haha.
I might need to put together a cheap rig for him and get him to join in.

Definitely. The game is largely solo-able (though certain monsters may be very difficult such as Behemoth). When you group up the game scales the monsters according to how many people you have in your group (except for Behemoth). The only thing that doesn't scale is the number of faints/deaths you and your group get which remains the same regardless of the number of players.

Important to also keep in mind that the MP scaling for monster health is roughly 2.2x the solo health, so with two you're making it a bit more difficult than if you had 3 or 4. But usually it's not a huge deal.

sounds stupid, but what is the chat like? can i disable it or anything? and I wonder how my 6 year old would do.

Important to also keep in mind that the MP scaling for monster health is roughly 2.2x the solo health, so with two you're making it a bit more difficult than if you had 3 or 4. But usually it's not a huge deal.
I thought the monster scaled depending on the number of people in the group? So 2 was different than 3 which was different than 4? I'm largely a solo player but when I grouped it seemed to scale that way.

sounds stupid, but what is the chat like? can i disable it or anything? and I wonder how my 6 year old would do.
The chat I believe can be disabled (correct me if I'm wrong). Your 6 year old may struggle a bit unless you can carry pretty hard. Certain monsters are Dark Souls level difficult.

The chat I believe can be disabled (correct me if I'm wrong). Your 6 year old may struggle a bit unless you can carry pretty hard. Certain monsters are Dark Souls level difficult.
/flex. I got this. going to buy 4 tonight, 2 kids and the wife and myself

I thought the monster scaled depending on the number of people in the group? So 2 was different than 3 which was different than 4? I'm largely a solo player but when I grouped it seemed to scale that way.

Nope, it's either SP scaling or MP, so with 4 decent players it's going to be a lot faster/easier than with 2.

Nope, it's either SP scaling or MP, so with 4 decent players it's going to be a lot faster/easier than with 2.
Well I'll be damned. Guess when I play with just my friend we must crank out enough damage that I barely notice when we bring in 2 randoms.

Well I'll be damned. Guess when I play with just my friend we must crank out enough damage that I barely notice when we bring in 2 randoms.

Well as I mentioned, it's only a 220% multiplier, so it'd be like 10% more HP per player than if you soloed it. Usually it's not a big deal, but if it was a 15-minute investigation quest I would probably choose to solo over only 2 players.

They should be back on the 26th with the Spring festival.

Thanks, I probably wouldn't have bothered getting on this week, didn't know so many event quests would be available. Getting my Teostra and Lunastra gamma sets today.

Thanks, I probably wouldn't have bothered getting on this week, didn't know so many event quests would be available. Getting my Teostra and Lunastra gamma sets today.

Yeah, with the festivals usually all of the event quests are available for the duration of the festival, which is usually like 3 weeks or so?

If you're a bowgunner you definitely want to get the Xeno Gamma armor too, or at least 3 pieces of it (usually chest, waist, legs).

Also, don't forget to do Greatest Jagras and then The Name's Lavasioth to get those mad decorations, yo.

Yeah, with the festivals usually all of the event quests are available for the duration of the festival, which is usually like 3 weeks or so?

If you're a bowgunner you definitely want to get the Xeno Gamma armor too, or at least 3 pieces of it (usually chest, waist, legs).

Also, don't forget to do Greatest Jagras and then The Name's Lavasioth to get those mad decorations, yo.

I play Dual Blades, Hammer and some Long Sword, been grabbing all the meta event quest weapons though as well incase I try other classes.

I ran Greatest Jagras like 20 times, too bad the drop rate on the jewels i need is so low, nothing new so far. I want crit boost and attack.

I need to change my weapons for this game I have a moded Giant Sword and with my armor it's like a slow pet rock trying to strike something. Think I might go back with a spear I had luck with that.

I never did KT Siege, is Arch Tempered KT hard to solo? Say I do the fight a few times on my own to learn it, do groups with randoms usually fail? Reason I ask is every Arch Tempered Monster I did for gear except Zorah Magdaros I did solo because grouping with randoms would always fail because of people carting and not gearing up properly or knowing the fights.

But AT-KT seems like a group oriented fight kind of like Behemoth. I started playing multiplayer recently and actually am starting to prefer multiplayer, but rather get the armor first before failing a lot with randoms while farming weapons, since I have limited time.

I never did KT Siege, is Arch Tempered KT hard to solo? Say I do the fight a few times on my own to learn it, do groups with randoms usually fail? Reason I ask is every Arch Tempered Monster I did for gear except Zorah Magdaros I did solo because grouping with randoms would always fail because of people carting and not gearing up properly or knowing the fights.

But AT-KT seems like a group oriented fight kind of like Behemoth. I started playing multiplayer recently and actually am starting to prefer multiplayer, but rather get the armor first before failing a lot with randoms while farming weapons, since I have limited time.

Unless you want to spend like, an hour or more on one run of AT KT, I wouldn't bother trying to solo it (not worth it). Just hop in a full lobby and join up with some randoms, even if they suck someone will eventually finish and you'll get rewards, and it'll be way faster than trying to solo it.

AT KT is much easier than other AT monsters as far as being able to safely complete it with randoms, in my experience. Even if you fail on the second run, you can try again and/or someone else will complete, so you'll get rewards either way.

The Witcher DLC is this week for PC plan on playing it with my close Steam Friend I'm sure he's try it before I get to it but said he would join a match with me.
Not sure how hard the bosses will be.

The Witcher DLC is this week for PC plan on playing it with my close Steam Friend I'm sure he's try it before I get to it but said he would join a match with me.
Not sure how hard the bosses will be.

If I were to guess I would say Leshen will be about the same as any Tempered monster. Then Ancient Leshen would be about the same as an Arch-Tempered. Nothing has been overly difficult so far in MHW. It will probably be easier to solo like any other fight in the game.

On the spring event...because I am newbie, only HR 7, am I missing out on some legit farming materials for end game? kind of confused on how all that works.

Is it normal to just fly through the Story to get unlocked? I was trying to investigations/events/story at the same time, but dont want to be held back from any progression because I was in the wrong order.

On the spring event...because I am newbie, only HR 7, am I missing out on some legit farming materials for end game? kind of confused on how all that works.

Is it normal to just fly through the Story to get unlocked? I was trying to investigations/events/story at the same time, but dont want to be held back from any progression because I was in the wrong order.

Ideally, you will want to try to progress in the story and the optional quests so that you can unlock your HR, because that gives you access to better quests.

For the spring event, I would just focus on farming some of the events you are able to do. Most of them will give you additional monster materials and/or special rewards, or stuff like armor spheres which are really useful.

Here's a pretty good list of what's worth doing:

Last edited:
Yea don't rush anything, there will be a Summer event in like 2-3 months if you want to play "catch-up". I kind of did play catch-up event because I quit playing the game for such a long time, but the Spring Event actually kind of make me enjoy the game again, I'll probably take a break though after it until AT Nergigante comes out, then probably til Summer event. I wouldn't recommend rushing anything, it could burn you out faster than you would want to.

Other than farming AT KT for Kjarr weapons, I just need to try to knock out a few more crowns in the event quests. Otherwise, the crowns I need are Kirin and Kushala, both of which are some of my least favorite monsters (probably why I don't have all the crowns for them yet).

Other than farming AT KT for Kjarr weapons, I just need to try to knock out a few more crowns in the event quests. Otherwise, the crowns I need are Kirin and Kushala, both of which are some of my least favorite monsters (probably why I don't have all the crowns for them yet).

I don't even care about crowns, is there any point in them other than the achievement that I don't know of?

I don't even care about crowns, is there any point in them other than the achievement that I don't know of?

Nope, but at this point I figure I might as well. Pretty much done everything else.

I probably did Lavasioth 150 times and still not Attack Power or Critical Boost decorations. Did get a lot of other ones to help with other builds, which is good, but I'm thinking about moving on now and doing other stuff like KT which I hear is the easiest AT monster after Zorah, for whatever reason I never did it. I think I'm too lazy to find groups and just always do SOS instead.

I probably did Lavasioth 150 times and still not Attack Power or Critical Boost decorations. Did get a lot of other ones to help with other builds, which is good, but I'm thinking about moving on now and doing other stuff like KT which I hear is the easiest AT monster after Zorah, for whatever reason I never did it. I think I'm too lazy to find groups and just always do SOS instead.
I believe you get a guaranteed ATK jewel with the Witcher cross over event.

I believe you get a guaranteed ATK jewel with the Witcher cross over event.

Yea I know that, Attack Boost isn't a huge deal, I actually hardly ever build attack anyways, I usually prefer handicraft in charm slot over using it for 3 attack levels. I just want to stop needing drachen set when Teostra Gamma seems more efficient with 3 pieces needed for Masters Touch instead of 4.

Back